• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Well obviously his claim is it didn't happen, hence the defamation suit. So the implication is the company was negligent/incompetent with the way it handled the allegations.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
Well obviously his claim is it didn't happen, hence the defamation
Is Vic just doing this so Funimation can settle out of court to avoid legal fees? That would hardly be proof he's innocent to anyone, except to gullible fangirls.

If the incidents took place at the work place, and funimation can corroborate that they were together, especially with videos and time sheets, it's extremely difficult for him to make a case.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, I think they're doing this because the other defendants probably don't have the $1m to cough up. Attach the company via vicarious liability, and voila, payday.

Funimation corroborating they were working together on the same day would prove... what exactly? Like you gotta look at this from the judge/court's point of view, where they aren't presupposing that there was necessarily sexual misconduct in the first place.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What is he suing for then? I don't understand how you can be fired for sexual misconduct and sue the very people you victimized or the place you victimized your co-workers at.

Basically what the petition is saying is that his coworkers conspired and intentionally defamed him, which interfered with his contracts (maybe with conventions rather than with Funimation) and prevented him from getting new ones. They act on behalf of Funimation, so Funimation is also responsible for their behavior. So they should pay Vic back for the damage they caused, and also more than that because the court needs to set as an example.

I didn't notice wrongful dismissal or breach of contract on the petition, so I don't think they're trying to claim that Funimtion did anything directly.

I don't think he's going to win either, but that's because the onus is on him to prove this stuff, and there should be plenty of evidence that Monica and all at least had a reason to believe that these things were true, and I doubt there's evidence that what was claimed against Vic was definitively false. I also suspect that there's not much to tie Funimation into this, except maybe someone was tweeting from their office or something.

Last edited:

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA
Honestly (and mind you, this is just pure speculation at this point) but I don't know if he has ever in any time in the recent past been in a position where he was hurting for money. By the looks of things from the outside (and I totally admit it is the FAR outside), he has come from a family of decent wealth. Reminder that his mom had a LiveJournal to interact with him and the Rangers community, where her profile states that she raises Great Danes as a hobby and that she went in on and bought a house with a friend in Costa Rica with a big screen TV to watch football. Mind you, yeah, that's OLD information by now, and absolutely may have changed over the years. All the same, I'd say most of us can't go halfsies on a house in another country with anybody.

https://b-k-myers.livejournal.com/profile

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well obviously his claim is it didn't happen, hence the defamation suit. So the implication is the company was negligent/incompetent with the way it handled the allegations.

I mean... didn't he already admit these things did happen, but he says everything was 'consensual'?

I honestly don't see how any judge could look at this and think he has a case (unless, as I speculated earlier may happen, the judge ends up being some trash Republican who will side with Vic solely due to him being a white christian conservative male).

Apr 21, 2019
I mean... didn't he already admit these things did happen, but he says everything was 'consensual'?

I honestly don't see how any judge could look at this and think he has a case (unless, as I speculated earlier may happen, the judge ends up being some trash Republican who will side with Vic solely due to him being a white christian conservative male).
Think that is was Ty is banking on. It's the only way that this wont get thrown out by out dumb it sounds.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Screen Rant wrote an article and the author is currently tolling all the Vic stans attacking him lmao

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
what incredible bias he's showing to report all of the confirmed facts and not report all of the various youtube videos made by #istandwithvic which are totally not conspiracies

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
So many people replying with "WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED THE FANS FOR THE FACTS."

What in the actual fuck are these people thinking.
fans are a very reliable source of information, just ask *checks notes* any popular famous person who turned out to be a scumbag

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Screen Rant wrote an article and the author is currently tolling all the Vic stans attacking him lmao

The first three comments are infuriating.

Capture.jpg

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
The first three comments are infuriating.

Capture.jpg
Vic has spent almost 20 years traveling anime and comic conventions. Building up an incredibly loyal fanbase. No surprise he has an extremely biased vocal minority of young people on his side, no matter what.

I feel sorry for the girls like Monica. She's been called all sorts of nasty things by hundreds of people. And people are boycotting Dragon Ball Z and Funimation, and want freakin Goku and Vegeta replaced because their actors didn't side with Vic.

I'm seeing youtube comments liked by the thousands where people are wanting toei step in and pull the license...

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Vic has spent almost 20 years traveling anime and comic conventions. Building up an incredibly loyal fanbase. No surprise he has an extremely biased vocal minority of young people on his side, no matter what.

I feel sorry for the girls like Monica. She's been called all sorts of nasty things by hundreds of people. And people are boycotting Dragon Ball Z and Funimation, and want freakin Goku and Vegeta replaced because their actors didn't side with Vic.

I'm seeing youtube comments liked by the thousands where people are wanting toei step in and pull the license...

This is the shit that horrifies me. The masses of people that are willing to ignore facts, hurt victims like Monica and spread misinformation in order to achieve an agenda. It's a similar playbook that got Trump elected and I hope that Toei are smart enough to not pay any mind to it.

It's inescapable though. We need to confront this somehow, we can't just ignore it away.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
This is the shit that horrifies me. The masses of people that are willing to ignore facts, hurt victims like Monica and spread misinformation in order to achieve an agenda. It's a similar playbook that got Trump elected and I hope that Toei are smart enough to not pay any mind to it.

It's inescapable though. We need to confront this somehow, we can't just ignore it away.
It scares me too.

I certainly don't want a franchise I love and treasure to be screwed up and have a whole new cast after 20 years. These people are so vindictive, they want the whole dub ruined because of Vic Mignogna doesn't voice Broly anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Appreciate this thread, it's been helpful to keep up with all this since I didn't know any of the involved previously. Glad to see this is getting more media coverage too.

Wish the victims the best in the lawsuit and all else.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah it's worrisome because trying to keep abreast of the topic is practically a full time endeavor and it's not like small or midsized companies can dedicate one person to it. Let alone individuals.

With a constant barrage of voices demanding answers and flooding with new information that needs to be independently verified, the takeaway might be to not engage in these affairs in the future. Which is understandable but benefits those who weaponize vocal mobs. Silence becomes approval but to engage means to commit to a culture war which is too much to ask.

sugururu

Apr 16, 2019

"Hell hath no fury like a hambeast scorned"
Man, that fucking presumptuous fatshaming is just icing on the shit cake.

He was mooching up on his underage fans, believe me, the precise problem with scumbags like him is that they willingly take advantage of their position of power to coerce underage girls into downright inappropriate dynamics. Because he knows that anime fans, especially many young, female anime fans, are people who he feels he can take advantage of or try and force into inappropriate situations, especially his fangirls.

It's not that these women were "rejected" by him, of course most of these socially inept alt right morons would interpret it that way.. it's that many of them realized what he's done to them is wrong, and this has been spreading more inconspicuously on the web for years, it's nothing new. People think a twitter hashtag makes it new, it doesn't make it new. A lot of women who were harassed by Vic were young fangirls who didn't know how to feel about it at the time, does that make their feelings any less valid when they in hindsight look back and feel disgust at being groped or kissed without their consent? They were taken advantage of by a predatory man in a dynamic where he felt he could get away with touching them inappropriately, how is that not disgusting? Or hell, they even saw it was disgusting at the time and were too afraid to say anything.

I had a sexually abusive ex-boyfriend whose actions I denied for the longest time... if I kept at first said "no" to my sexually abusive ex boyfriend who would touch me when I was uncomfortable with it, and he kept trying to coerce me to the point where I stopped saying "no" out of fear, and after awhile, I got too fearful of him to say "no" at all, even though he was in a far less socially powerful position than Vic, does that automatically make what he did to me not sexually abusive and predatory? Fuck no, it still was sexually abusive and predatory. Now imagine a man who is sexually predatory on you in a far more emphasized position of power than just a boyfriend, imagine he's a celebrity, who you admire, and he's groping you where you don't want to be groped, but you don't really know how to respond. Imagine he does worse than that, even. How is there anything justifiable, how is the girl asking for it, especially when she's posing for a picture and he unexpectedly sticks his hand in a very intimate place? He's a predator through and through.

And frankly when I've heard stories about it going beyond the photographically recorded sexual harassment evidence that's plastered all over the web, when I've heard stories about him taking girls up to his fucking room, and even cornering and groping them in hotel elevators, then yes, it becomes more than just about his blatant disrespect of women's personal space in public, his private actions and cult worship fanclub contain even more disturbing implications.

This man knows what he is doing, he and my father are the same fucking age, and he can't use the excuse that he isn't socialized to know better after being a fucking d-list VA for years on end. If he's not socially conscious enough not to grope underage girls then he shouldnt be in the industry, period.

Last edited:

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

He was mooching up on his underage fans, believe me, the precise problem with scumbags like him is that they willingly take advantage of their position of power to coerce underage girls into downright inappropriate dynamics. Because he knows that anime fans, especially many young, female anime fans, are people who he feels he can take advantage of or try and force into inappropriate situations, especially his fangirls.

It's not that these women were "rejected" by him, of course most of these socially inept alt right morons would interpret it that way.. it's that many of them realized what he's done to them is wrong, and this has been spreading more inconspicuously on the web for years, it's nothing new. People think a twitter hashtag makes it new, it doesn't make it new. A lot of women who were harassed by Vic were young fangirls who didn't know how to feel about it at the time, does that make their feelings any less valid when they in hindsight look back and feel disgust at being groped or kissed without their consent? They were taken advantage of by a predatory man in a dynamic where he felt he could get away with touching them inappropriately, how is that not disgusting? Or hell, they even saw it was disgusting at the time and were too afraid to say anything.

I had a sexually abusive ex-boyfriend whose actions I denied for the longest time... if I kept at first said "no" to my sexually abusive ex boyfriend who would touch me when I was uncomfortable with it, and he kept trying to coerce me to the point where I stopped saying "no" out of fear, and after awhile, I got too fearful of him to say "no" at all, even though he was in a far less socially powerful position than Vic, does that automatically make what he did to me not sexually abusive and predatory? Fuck no, it still was sexually abusive and predatory. Now imagine a man who is sexually predatory on you in a far more emphasized position of power than just a boyfriend, imagine he's a celebrity, who you admire, and he's groping you where you don't want to be groped, but you don't really know how to respond. Imagine he does worse than that, even. How is there anything justifiable, how is the girl asking for it, especially when she's posing for a picture and he unexpectedly sticks his hand in a very intimate place? He's a predator through and through.

And frankly when I've heard stories about it going beyond the photographically recorded sexual harassment evidence that's plastered all over the web, when I've heard stories about him taking girls up to his fucking room, and even cornering and groping them in hotel elevators, then yes, it becomes more than just about his blatant disrespect of women's personal space in public, his private actions and cult worship fanclub contain even more disturbing implications.

This man knows what he is doing, he and my father are the same fucking age, and he can't use the excuse that he isn't socialized to know better after being a fucking d-list VA for years on end. If he's not socially conscious enough not to grope underage girls then he shouldnt be in the industry, period.

Good post

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
writing about this must be a legal nightmare god
not really, you are just "reporting on stuff". NOW, if as an outlet you were to know that what you are reporting is false and still do it, THEN you will be on deep shit. any scenario other than that, you are cool and covered by law.

Basically what the petition is saying is that his coworkers conspired and intentionally defamed him, which interfered with his contracts (maybe with conventions rather than with Funimation) and prevented him from getting new ones. They act on behalf of Funimation, so Funimation is also responsible for their behavior. So they should pay Vic back for the damage they caused, and also more than that because the court needs to set as an example.

I didn't notice wrongful dismissal or breach of contract on the petition, so I don't think they're trying to claim that Funimtion did anything directly.

I don't think he's going to win either, but that's because the onus is on him to prove this stuff, and there should be plenty of evidence that Monica and all at least had a reason to believe that these things were true, and I doubt there's evidence that what was claimed against Vic was definitively false. I also suspect that there's not much to tie Funimation into this, except maybe someone was tweeting from their office or something.
to the extent of my knowledge and from what I have read around, Naming Funimation in the suit is mostly so they can demand funimation to turn over their "inner investigation" and any type of message the company had with all the other defendants, to see if there were "things going on behind the curtain"

Last edited:

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
writing about this must be a legal nightmare god
It's mostly just posturing from the Vic side. Nobody's actually been served for reporting on this yet, and if it does happen, it's going to be a bad fucking look to be suing journalists.

Extremely unlikely.

In Australia for instance we have a codified defence to defamation called fair reporting.

Not sure if Texas have a statute but I know they have the common law defences of fair comment/criticism and public figure.

The latter especially applies in journalism. The only way I could see them initiating proceedings would be if there were some investigative journalism that published new, or more specific allegations.

You're right about the posturing though. As someone in the same field the entire way Mignogna's side is conducted themselves is childish and frankly, embarrassing.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Something that bothers me is that people overlook the genuine bigotry coming from Rickieta and Beard's open association with him. Like "oh he's not Vic's lawyer, who cares". Yeah? Well Vic's lawyer thinks he's worth talking to on a Livestream specifically making money for Rickieta. Doesn't that say something about who Vic has chosen to represent him?

As much as they can try to say otherwise, Rickieta represents Vic's interests in every way except legally.

Like, supposedly neutral people will say Monica has "gone too far". As if threatening to report people is worse than fucking outright racism and use of slurs. Fuck off.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a specific statement, if you're worried about Vic's side trying to censor people, something worth keeping in the back of your head is that America is Free Speech Country™. As in, they're extremely reluctant to clamp down on speech, and it's very difficult to create legal barriers to do so since just about everything short of a direct threat is considered protected under the first amendment.

An example that often comes to my head is the case where the city of St. Paul, Minnesota, created a local law against hate crime, and the Supreme Court overturned it when it found that burning a cross in front of a black family's lawn was still protected as an act of free speech. Now, I'm not a fan of any part of that, but it at least paints an image of what the values of the legal system are, and they aren't going to be favourable for the accuser in a libel case.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think that they believe they can win an actual drawn out legal battle, I'd say they're almost definitely trying to inconvenience everyone involved so much that they decide to settle.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm now just realizing this, if he's sueing funimation why doesnt he also sue rooster teeth? I mean if he's innocent lol it should be easy money if he's "innocent ".
God I want to vomit about this whole thing.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something that bothers me is that people overlook the genuine bigotry coming from Rickieta and Beard's open association with him. Like "oh he's not Vic's lawyer, who cares". Yeah? Well Vic's lawyer thinks he's worth talking to on a Livestream specifically making money for Rickieta. Doesn't that say something about who Vic has chosen to represent him?

After recently being exposed to Rekieta's "work" there's no doubt in my mind anymore that Rekieta is just pure racist, misogynistic scum. Just an absolute piece of shit in every way... as if that was hard to work out about a man who knowingly decides to make his entire life revolve around punishing the victims of a sex offender for daring to speak out.

The fact that Vic calls Rekieta a friend and is happy to have someone like him do all his talking for him just tells me that Vic is a far FAR bigger piece of shit than I know I ever imagined he could have been. Though I guess I should have worked that out from seeing the true face of the kind of fanbase he has built around himself.

I don't mind telling you... this whole situation has gotten to me a lot more than I expected it to.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

As much as they can try to say otherwise, Rickieta represents Vic's interests in every way except legally.

Like, supposedly neutral people will say Monica has "gone too far". As if threatening to report people is worse than fucking outright racism and use of slurs. Fuck off.

Exactly this! Rickeita is a racist scumbag and yet he still gets so much support

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

Yuuuup. They hold Vic and his legal posse to a different standard than his accusers, which is beyond telling. Don't even get me started on how they think (or worse, pretend) Jamie Marchi seriously wanted to mutilate Vic.

I mentioned this the other day, but it's also funny how the "neutral" crowd usesthe same exact arguments commonly found among Pro-Vic peeps. And by "funny", I mean "blatantly transparent grossness that clearly situates what side you stand on."

Thanks for speaking out. It's exhausting how many times we have to explain why sexual assault survivors don't reach out.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Yeah I don't think that they believe they can win an actual drawn out legal battle, I'd say they're almost definitely trying to inconvenience everyone involved so much that they decide to settle.
Given that they are naming funimation, and not just individuals, Vic as a single person is in a lesser position to hold an attrition war of legal fees.
not sure what grounds he thinks he has cause if he were to lose this, not only his career and name are gone without turning back, but he opens himself to counter sues for emotional distress, legal fees, etc etc etc.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
if he's sueing funimation why doesnt he also sue rooster teeth?
he likely is not suing funimation for the articles (trying to holding press for defamation is almost a fulls errands), but Funimation (iirc) conducted some "internal investigation", so putting Funimation on the law suit allows him to legally ask Funi to surrender any and all information regarding that investigation (likely including conversations with the other defendants). Maybe he thinks he will find evidence there or whatever.

sugururu

Apr 16, 2019
Yuuuup. They hold Vic and his legal posse to a different standard than his accusers, which is beyond telling. Don't even get me started on how they think (or worse, pretend) Jamie Marchi seriously wanted to mutilate Vic.

I mentioned this the other day, but it's also funny how the "neutral" crowd usesthe same exact arguments commonly found among Pro-Vic peeps. And by "funny", I mean "blatantly transparent grossness that clearly situates what side you stand on."

Thanks for speaking out. It's exhausting how many times we have to explain why sexual assault survivors don't reach out.
I've seen a few other people speak out in this thread so I might as well put aside any shame I have with the situation. At the time after I broke up with him it was hard having my own friends not believe me because my ex seemed like a "nice guy" (yes, it's always the supppsedly "charming", "nice guys", isn't it?) in public to them, and the only way I was able to convince them of any scummy behavior was showing them evidence that he gaslit me (he threatened to commit suicide if I didn't stay with him) via text, but I could never "prove" the sexual abuse that occurred in private and I don't think I'll ever be able to physically prove it happened to me, which is frustrating. Like i said, I had the mentality a lot of victims do when they're coerced and their abuser attempts to lull them into it where it becomes almost normalized, I spent most of the relationship blaming myself, allowed him to continue berating and blaming me for his faults and his actions. I did realize, eventually, what was happening to me was wrongful, and I stopped letting him hold power over me.

There's no easy way to provide evidence of most assaults or abuse, but it's all too easy for many people to easily denounce victims and demean them for their trauma for not providing "evidence". Victim blaming mentality is a seedy mentality and it's the mentality that's existed forever since before the advent of recording devices, and unfortunately, while there are more people now who support victims, victim blaming will probably continue to exist.

it's not somehow significantly easier to document abuse and injustice even if we have advanced technology. Do people seriously expect rape, abuse, or harassment victims to somehow photograph their own assaults? And even then photographic evidence of Vic's sexual harassment and feeling up underage girls gets dismissed as "friendliness" by his supporters. there's no convincing people who don't want to be convinced.

I had Vic's fans screech at me for saying I'm "projecting" my experiences onto Vic, what else am I supposed to do? I disliked the man and was creeped out by him and had heard stories long before I even met the guy who'd abused me.

All the denial and victim blaming would still make me sick even if I didn't have any experience with abuse.

he likely is not suing funimation for the articles (trying to holding press for defamation is almost a fulls errands), but Funimation (iirc) conducted some "internal investigation", so putting Funimation on the law suit allows him to legally ask Funi to surrender any and all information regarding that investigation (likely including conversations with the other defendants). Maybe he thinks he will find evidence there or whatever.
The lawyer said this is only the "first round" of lawsuits. There could be more coming. It is possible that RT, io9, and ANN may be their next targets, if they go through with it.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
If their main hope is settlement out of court, which is the only reasonable thing they could be hoping for, then Funimation has deeper pockets than Rooster Teeth.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
The lawyer said this is only the "first round" of lawsuits. There could be more coming. It is possible that RT, io9, and ANN may be their next targets, if they go through with it.
maybe, but again, trying win a case against press on a defamation cause is extremely hard cause any site can just brush it off as "we were just reporting on a news/ story" to win a Defamation legal case against a press side you need to be able to prove 100% that the site in question KNEW that what they were publishing was wrong/ a lie, but still decided to run with it.

sugururu

Apr 16, 2019
maybe, but again, trying win a case against press on a defamation cause is extremely hard cause any site can just brush it off as "we were just reporting on a news/ story" to win a Defamation legal case against a press side you need to be able to prove 100% that the site in question KNEW that what they were publishing was wrong/ a lie, but still decided to run with it.
I'm doubting that they'd win, but it seems like something theyd do. It doesn't help that Vic's lawyer replied to a tweet written by the author of the io9 article with "welcome to the party".

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
I'm doubting that they'd win, but it seems like something theyd do. It doesn't help that Vic's lawyer replied to a tweet written by the author of the io9 article with "welcome to the party".
on Vic Case, out of the 3 points one need to win a Defamation case (a lie, malicious intent and Done Public) he has both 2 and 3rd, he would then "only need" to prove that the statements were lies, but this on its own is the hardest part, cause, unless some weird evidences comes up, it will comes to "my word vs they word" and that alone gets really murky.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think he even has 2. http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/proving-fault-actual-malice-and-negligence

Since Vic's a public figure, it can't just be negligence, it requires "actual malice". Basically they would need to prove that the defendants knew the statements were false or didn't care if it was false or not before publishing their statements.

Basically the conspiracy theories that the Vic supporters believe that somehow they all got together to try to intentionally ruin Vic's career for some unknown reason is actually the reality instead of just a conspiracy theory.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
I don't think he even has 2. http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/proving-fault-actual-malice-and-negligence

Since Vic's a public figure, it can't just be negligence, it requires "actual malice". Basically they would need to prove that the defendants knew the statements were false or didn't care if it was false or not before publishing their statements.
ok, to be fair, I have not been following word by word, but I have seen comments about how some of the defendants have talked to other companies or boycott cons that would have him as guess.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
I mean if the defendants honestly believed that Vic was a danger to people and shouldn't be at cons, that's not malice.

Kinda akin to people here saying stop supporting THQ Nordic games because they had an AMA on 8chan that makes the motivations and morals of the employees who participated in it really suspect.