• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Over the past few weeks with the release of Dragon Ball Super: Broly, accusations and stories have piled up mainly from convention goers about Mignogna's alleged antisemitic comments, general unease with LGBTQ+ elements in anime and fandom, and sexual misconduct with young, presumably starstruck con goers (hugging, kissing, groping, inviting them up to his hotel room). It's been virtually impossible to search for his name on Twitter without seeing it. This morning Mignogna released a statement.

If anyone has any added information about this I would add it to the OP.

EDIT: Resetera posters have been able to secure some of the allegations/video examples of some of the allegations. I will include them here:

By the way, here's a great deconstruction of the letter:

I've been hearing stories about him for YEARS. Like, a decade ago at least.

He has actually been banned from multiple conventions. The stories about him picking up tons of underage fangirls are all over the internet.

https://www.google.com/amp/conventionhorrorstories.tumblr.com/post/36910875571/con-memoirs/amp

Example. From 2012
KdStXqV.jpg

i2jaL69.jpg

There's a more besides these from that thread, too.

Also, look up "vic mignogna kissed me" on YouTube.

http://conventionhorrorstories.tumblr.com/post/36910875571/con-memoirs

there's even the Tumblr based entirely around underage girls anonymously confessing what he's done to them

http://vicmeggnognahorrorstories.tumblr.com

http://vicmeggnognahorrorstories.tumblr.com/post/37222159003/the-saga-of-knights-and-mangina
Decided just to make a seperate post. Here ya go OP Sibersk Esto

With regards to sexual conduct:
With regards to antisemitism:
With regards to homophobia:
With regards to general behavior/how he is seen by coworkers:
A couple of twitter threads:
  • MarzGurl tackling his apology
  • A thread with responses that are accounts of him being a sex pest, a homophobe, or a jerk:

Finally, there is a minor hashtag that started to #KickVic, so to speak, which I feel is worth keeping an eye on.

Edit: I will note with the homophobia stuff there is a video of him circulating of him standing up to "GOD HATES F-slur" type protesters at a con, but it's clearly staged and the way he's acting makes him seem like he's trying to get brownie points.

Last edited:

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Vic was a big fixture in the Florida anime con scene in the early 2000s, and there were definitely some uncomfortable situations in hotel hot tubs back in the day.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those comments are all gross and basically boil down to "I had such a great experience with you in the 2 minutes I had with you! There's no way this person I barely know could ever do something like this!".

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
I've attended a panel for him at SacAnime. He did seem a bit uncomfortably familiar with some of his female fans, but it didn't LOOK like they minded at the time, so I kind of just let that go.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are there any articles etc. someone can point me to covering the allegations?

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I was considering making a topic about this but wasn't sure how it'd be received. I'll compile a few things and edit them into this post so OP can add them to the OP. Or I can PM them, whichever you prefer, Sibersk Esto

But I will say, I have a story to share. He was very creepy towards my sibling. They identified as a girl at the time and were going through puberty and was very... busty. And completely without asking, without them even knowing who he was or what roles he had (I was getting stuff signed for myself), hugged them tight to his chest, so that their chest was against his. At the time I didn't see anything wrong but it later dawned on me and I asked if they were comfortable with what he did and they said it was a bit weird and after I shared the rumors I'd heard at the time.... yeaaaahhh.... suffice to say they were not okay with it. Nor am I.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been hearing this stuff about him for yeeeaaaaaars. Hope his ass finally gets kicked out of the industry.

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any articles etc. someone can point me to covering the allegations?

So far it seems to be almost completely anecdotal. Tweets, Facebook group convos and forum posts primarily. Nothing officially compiled from what I'm seeing.

I was considering making a topic about this but wasn't sure how it'd be received. I'll compile a few things and edit them into this post so OP can add them to the OP. Or I can PM them, whichever you prefer, Sibersk Esto

But I will say, I have a story to share. He was very creepy towards my sibling. They identified as a girl at the time and were going through puberty and was very... busty. And completely without asking, without them even knowing who he was or what roles he had (I was getting stuff signed for myself), hugged them tight to his chest, so that their chest was against his. At the time I didn't see anything wrong but it later dawned on me and I asked if they were comfortable with what he did and they said it was a bit weird and after I shared the rumors I'd heard at the time.... yeaaaahhh.... suffice to say they were not okay with it. Nor am I.

Editing your post works fine, thank you. Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Very disappointing if true... at least we still have Dan Green right? RIGHT!?

(fake edit) In all seriousness, the times I saw him at Metrocon back in... oh... 2009 or so... he seemed to enjoy being showered in female con goer attention a little too much, but I just wrote it off. Fan girls are going to fan girl and it's not like you're going to tell your fans to chill out. If he used his position of power over his fans (most of whom were teenagers at best) he can go and rot in literal hell.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This has been one of those open secrets among the anime community, especially those who frequent conventions, for a long time now. There are hundreds of upsetting stories out there. Waaaay too much smoke for there not to be some truth in what is being said by people.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Rumors have circulated throughout the net on this for some time, but I never knew what to make of it given most confessions were anonymous. I know he's had confrontations with Yaoi fans, however.

I've read he's apparently banned from some cons for difficult behavior and whatnot?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Vic being a homophobic shit does not surprise me at all considering that he was ultra-religious.

That other shit...wow. And this was an open secret?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"I have gay friends and I gave them jobs"

Quite the defense

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of shocked to see how few DON'T know it by now.
Double whammy... Anime fans are already often ostracized outside of their communities and events, and then to have someone trusted (or again, even semi-worshiped) in the community taking advantage of them in some way it's hard to come out in any way against them.

Things are better for the anime fandom than they were in the 90's, but being an anime fan (and a female or transgendered one at that) still puts you in a socially awkward place.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"I can't be homophobe, I have LGBTQ friends!"

That's... not a good start...
In 2019, adding this into a discussion of your behaviour has the opposite effect and people HAVE TO know this.

Besides, statistically speaking, unless you've gone out of your way to exclude them, EVERYONE has a minimum of 1 gay friend at this point, so beyond the point made above, it's a very "yeah, and?" sort of statement.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha, compiling stuff now.

Pretty much. I've been hearing this shit about him since '08 or so on /cgl/ and after I abandoned 4chan heard it on forums and social media sites. I'm kind of shocked to see how few DON'T know it by now.

I haven't considered myself an anime fan for years and even when I was, I never went to cons nor kept up with any BTS information. Never visited 4chan either which seems to be where most of these stories originated from.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
In 2019, adding this into a discussion of your behaviour has the opposite effect and people HAVE TO know this.
You misinterpret why this is done. This isn't for LGBT people who can see through this shit with ease. It's for closest racists/homophobes so they can latch onto it. "Yeah, I'm the same way. There is no way they (or I) am a xxxxxist because I have friends and co-workers who are these people!"

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I've hated this fuck for years and not just for being a really shitty voice actor.

He said some shit about how courts shouldn't decide gay marriage and then tried to claim he was being attacked for being Christian.

Fuck off straight to hell, Vic.

Found it:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gwAHoECAUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3P-GKq3FlISOX7lTS1ZGOY

Homophobic piece of shit.

I hate that he gets any work at all let alone that he ruined Escaflowne by getting to voice Folken in the fucking redub. I refuse to buy anything he works on.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You misinterpret why this is done. This isn't for LGBT people who can see through this shit with ease. It's for closest racists/homophobes so they can latch onto it. "Yeah, I'm the same way. There is no way they (or I) am a xxxxxist because I have friends and co-workers who are these people!"
But even people who aren't LGBTQ know this. It's been so widely understood as a smokescreen for awful opinions and behaviours that it became a meme so well-known that it's a common joke written into comedy TV and film on a fairly regular basis. Aside from complete ignorance on multiple fronts, everyone knows what the connotations of that phrase are. Even the people the message is intended to reach know this and actively don't care to acknowledge the problem.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Vic Mignogna has repeatedly hit on barely-of-legal-age girls at conventions well into his 40's. I have no direct evidence of homophobia, but I have absolute confirmation from several girls I know that this happened.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've heard of the sexual harrassment stuff before, my SO has a few friends on one of her social media platforms who have shared stories in the past. Including some young-ish barely legal stories iirc.

Didn't know about the Homophobia stuff though.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I've hated this fuck for years and not just for being a really shitty voice actor.

He said some shit about how courts shouldn't decide gay marriage them tried to claim he was being attacked for being Christian.

Fuck off straight to hell, Vic.

Found it:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gwAHoECAUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3P-GKq3FlISOX7lTS1ZGOY

Homophobic piece of shit.
Seems par the course with these bigots. Hide behind Christian morality to justify your hatred.

Where was that morality when he was creeping on young girls?

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
Would Funimation redub Full Metal Alchemist if they ever rereleased it?

Aniplex distributes it directly now and they use the existing dub. I don't know if we'll ever get a version where Ed doesn't sound like an old man who hates gays and preys on young girls.

It's sickening that this dude is basically famous for getting to voice Edward Elric and is a permanent stain on the Western release of a great work.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
nnn he is going to come to my local Planet Comicon soon. I imagine that will be messy.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being in high school in the late 2000s and even back then I heard bad shit about Vic. He came to a local convention in like 2008 I think and I heard the horror stories even back then. It was my first con and I actually avoided his panel based on all the getting handsy with underage girls/etc and hitting on them stuff I'd heard from other people.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Yeah, stopped reading that letter after the word "sorry" or "apologize" was nowhere in the "addressing homophobia" part of the statement and he pulled the "some of my best friends aren't straight" card. He can fuck all the way off