• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Bread and his crew are totally fleecing Vic.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
lol are they seriously charging 40 for each lawyer per 6 min time units and have four solicitors working on the case every time? not paralegals, not support staff... lmao

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

This sounds like a complete scam lmao

As someone who works at a law firm, the most senior partners charge $200-300 depending on the client, and support work is done by paralegals at around $95. There generally aren't going to be more than 2 partners working on something at once, and generally not in the same hour. There's no reason for four partners to be working on a case like this at the same time. They are totally scamming Vic and his supporters. Amazing.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying how easy it is for Jamie to make these idiots lose their fucking minds, i mean all of this shit they're spewing...Jamie's totally on the run from the court documents guys...totally

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the Vic fans constantly hype up how he's gonna win when he takes them to court.

I wonder what the narrative will be if he looses?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Of course we knew they would win. There's no stopping a big, evil corporation and the SJW agenda. They destroyed the life if a good Christian man."
I just have to imagine how warped your world view must be to think that two major companies and who knows how many people would apparently just all work together to just decide "yeah I'm gonna screw this guy over" for no benefit.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I just have to imagine how warped your world view must be to think that two major companies and who knows how many people would apparently just all work together to just decide "yeah I'm gonna screw this guy over" for no benefit.
yeah like they wanted the inevitable backlash from Vic's fans from all of this, like no It's more important that we screw over a guy who hasn't had a big VA role in years

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the lawyers initiated a crowdfunding campaign which fleeced Vic's gullible fans for $160k, and then tempted Vic to give them the green light and burn down what was left of his ruined career with the lure of "free lawyers", and now they're cutting into Vic for at least 80k so far (I guess they're using the sunk cost fallacy)?

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't actively causing more harm to Vic's victims.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't read the thread at all but dude's been chilling in Puerto Rico for our Comic Con and looks like most here don't really care about this whole thing.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
So.... how did Vic get back into Kamehecon? And this killed the con?
It's covered in thread but it's believed his contract with the convention specified penalties for unilateral cancellation with no exit clause (for, say, proven history of sexual harassment). Normally this isn't an issue since the normal thing to do is to silently bow out and hope it blows over, but Vic ended up forcing the con to let him back on or he would seek the penalties the convention's own contract stipulated.

The end result was, of course, most of the convention's other guests cancelling their appearance at the Texas event.

Kamehacon in Europe just recently announced they were no longer happening but it's not known if this is directly related to the Vic situation.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's covered in thread but it's believed his contract with the convention specified penalties for unilateral cancellation with no exit clause (for, say, proven history of sexual harassment). Normally this isn't an issue since the normal thing to do is to silently bow out and hope it blows over, but Vic ended up forcing the con to let him back on or he would seek the penalties the convention's own contract stipulated.

The end result was, of course, most of the convention's other guests cancelling their appearance at the Texas event.

Kamehacon in Europe just recently announced they were no longer happening but it's not known if this is directly related to the Vic situation.

I see.

It's amazing. It takes years to cultivate a following but it only takes one thing to cause a collapse.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't call it one thing. This has been something WELL overdue.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

giphy.gif

It feels so rare you hear good news these days.

Granted, these guys probably redirect some of this money to attack Rial & presumably others to keep them looking powerful & thus keep their wallets lined. So I don't want to get excited prematurely.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So the lawyers initiated a crowdfunding campaign which fleeced Vic's gullible fans for $160k, and then tempted Vic to give them the green light and burn down what was left of his ruined career with the lure of "free lawyers", and now they're cutting into Vic for at least 80k so far (I guess they're using the sunk cost fallacy)?

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't actively causing more harm to Vic's victims.
It's got to be illegal or at least unethical

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Haven't read the thread at all but dude's been chilling in Puerto Rico for our Comic Con and looks like most here don't really care about this whole thing.
Looking at the guest list Vic is going to need to corner the market in general purpose comic/fan conventions that aren't otherwise bringing in anime voice acting talent that will blacklist them or pull out because he's not getting in anywhere else. That said, he can probably still milk this racket for another few years until even the Dragonball crowd has little to no interest in him.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He could just phone in his lines. Like usual.
I said damn.
Looking at the guest list Vic is going to need to corner the market in general purpose comic/fan conventions that aren't otherwise bringing in anime voice acting talent that will blacklist them or pull out because he's not getting in anywhere else. That said, he can probably still milk this racket for another few years until even the Dragonball crowd has little to no interest in him.
I find it funny that the DB fandom seems to have had his most vocal supporters when it involves a roll he's frequently complained about and how minor it felt in comparison to other characters he played.

When I thought of Vic it was Ed, Junpei, or Qrow, but no it's the one where 90% of his dialogue is screaming that's important now.

I'm hoping whoever has to replace him as Broly doesn't get shit from his fanbase. Same for whoever ends up as Qrow.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I said damn.

I find it funny that the DB fandom seems to have had his most vocal supporters when it involves a roll he's frequently complained about and how minor it felt in comparison to other characters he played.

When I thought of Vic it was Ed, Junpei, or Qrow, but no it's the one where 90% of his dialogue is screaming that's important now.

I'm hoping whoever has to replace him as Broly doesn't get shit from his fanbase. Same for whoever ends up as Qrow.
for real i saw some dumbass on twitter say that Broly was the most popular Saiyan and I was like...fucking seriously?

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for real i saw some dumbass on twitter say that Broly was the most popular Saiyan and I was like...fucking seriously?

...actually, that might not be untrue, because I remember Americans used to rave like mad for Broly during the series height of popularity in earlier years, but... most people didn't even know Vic Mignogna voiced Broly in those movies. In fact, it wasn't until really the Dragon Ball Super Broly movie when people became more conscious of this anyways, less due to controversies, but just more due to general cast announcements. Like the previous poster said, most people know Vic for his other works, including the acclaimed Fullmetal Alchemist series as Edward Elric.

So yeah, uh... Vic's association with Broly is more of a recent thing, and I dare say it's simply because of the controversy this stuck. Don't know where the hell these fans saying "Vic made Broly" came from recently, because no one really knew it was him.

Even on the Japanese side of things, I had no idea that it was Bin Shimada (someone who I really like for his vocal work and range) until looking at his credit roles and was like "Wait, seriously?". I feel it's mostly because he's just a one dimensional character, and was up until this new movie...

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
...actually, that might not be untrue, because I remember Americans used to rave like mad for Broly during the series height of popularity in earlier years, but... most people didn't even know Vic Mignogna voiced Broly in those movies. In fact, it wasn't until really the Dragon Ball Super Broly movie when people became more conscious of this anyways, less due to controversies, but just more due to general cast announcements. Like the previous poster said, most people know Vic for his other works, including the acclaimed Fullmetal Alchemist series as Edward Elric.

So yeah, uh... Vic's association with Broly is more of a recent thing, and I dare say it's simply because of the controversy this stuck. Don't know where the hell these fans saying "Vic made Broly" came from recently, because no one really knew it was him.

Even on the Japanese side of things, I had no idea that it was Bin Shimada (someone who I really like for his vocal work and range) until looking at his credit roles and was like "Wait, seriously?". I feel it's mostly because he's just a one dimensional character, and was up until this new movie...
As popular as Broly is he doesn't come close to Goku or Vegeta, those two are dragon ball pretty much

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

Broly is also very popular in Japan. He had three movies before American audiences were ever even introduced to Dragon Ball, after all.

Mr. Zero

Apr 22, 2019
Broly is also very popular in Japan. He had three movies before American audiences were ever even introduced to Dragon Ball, after all.

It's true Broly is fairly popular. Probably part of the reason Toriyama created a movie with him in it. But for people to say Vic made Broly? Give me a break! They could of someone else to play Broly in the most recent movie and they probably would of done a better job than Vic did. Least in my opinion, I found Vic's Broly performance subpar at best.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I've always loved Broly - got a SSJ1 Broly fig on my desk between my 2 Gohans!... but I've never given the slightest of shits about his speaking roles, and Broly's one of the few characters that more familiar by their JP voice anyways since I watch movies subbed.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Broly is popular, he isn't popular because of Vic though, there's a difference there.

The original Broly actually just got another highest rarity card in the global version of Dokkan Battle, one of the mobile games, despite already having one of the highest rarity and even based on the same movie. I don't understand it all all, but he's definitely popular.

I totally agree that Vic has 0% to do with it. Even the new Broly, who has a lot more characterization, is mostly made into a sympathetic character based on the circumstances around him and has very little dialogue.

On top of that, Broly is altogether a tensy tiny amount of Dragonball. There are hundreds of episodes of the anime, leading to hundreds of hours of footage where Broly hasn't even been present, and then four or five hours of movies where he is. I refuse to believe any argument about how big Vic is to Dragonball because it just doesn't add up.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Also, it was pointed out to me that the canon Broly has to be held back to keep from pummeling a sexual harasser.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Lots of people still don't know who voices Broly even now. Outside of the alt-right assholes who are riding with Vic, most probably won't even notice that Broly's voice got changed whenever he shows up in FighterZ.

Oct 25, 2017
Broly is popular, he isn't popular because of Vic though, there's a difference there.
That's the thing here. People keep saying "Broly was never actually popular" as if that means Vic sucks, but that's not the case. People LOVE Broly, he just also happens to be voiced by Mignogna.
Lots of people still don't know who voices Broly even now. Outside of the alt-right assholes who are riding with Vic, most probably won't even notice that Broly's voice got changed whenever he shows up in FighterZ.
It's gonna be weird to have OG Broly with Vic's voice and Nu Broly with a different voice.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's gonna be weird to have OG Broly with Vic's voice and Nu Broly with a different voice.
If the replacement does even a half way decent job of mimicking Vic then I doubt anyone will really notice outside the folks paying attention to this whole situation. Shit, Broly is still going to be mostly screaming.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
That's the thing here. People keep saying "Broly was never actually popular" as if that means Vic sucks, but that's not the case. People LOVE Broly, he just also happens to be voiced by Mignogna.

Not really since they're really different characters