• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Which thread to I post these in? More clarifications from Doucette. I'm curious, what happens if Beard leaking subpoenaed information is discovered in the legal proceedings?

bUt n0oNe KnEw Ab0Ut iT.
Bingo

And when it's spread around like this, it becomes reputation evidence that's admissible in court

*In addition* to all the times hearsay is directly admissible

Is there a such thing as a super lawyer?
It's an "award" that a bunch of lawyers get for free, so the company doing it can then try to sell you things like plaques and "memberships" and such

VicStans and KiwiFarms goobers think you have to pay to have it, they run super-secret chatrooms, etc

(Attached images)
While we're on the topic of compiling background info, I have the texts from @RonToye that form the basis of Vic's tortious interference with contract / business prospects claims

I suspect if people look, they'll discover @TyBeard10 leaked these to @NickRekieta for his show

The fact they're not problematic is why they were leaked to @NickRekieta, so Nick could then selectively parse to make them look much more scandalous

So Nick and Ty could then grift more money from the fans

The fun part about civil conspiracy is that it's not a standalone tort

I can't sue you for conspiracy and that's it

So if the defamation / TIC / TIBP claims fall, civil conspiracy automatically goes bye bye *even if* there was an actual conspiracy

Is this all there is??? I find it hard to believe that a case for contract interference could be made using just these. Toye isn't trying to compel the other party to cancel Mignona's appearance, just warning that Rial can't go if Mignona's going to be there.
They may have more, but I doubt it. This is a classic case of "lawfare" – filing a totally meritless lawsuit, then sending a sh*tload of data preservation notices and subpoenas to people, hoping you find something you can use for character assassination

(Attached images)
I'm about as far removed from the anime world as you can get, and when my friends already knew about this years ago...

...we call that "reputation in the community" evidence, and it's pretty damning in defamation cases

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
RE: The Super Lawyers shit, it's basically a scam. While getting the award is free- and I'm not even sure of the criteria, it's probably bullshit as pretty much all my attorney coworkers have it- you have to pay the company who awards it a few hundred bucks a year to use the Super Lawyers logo on your website and promo materials. And yet, lawyers will pay them because laymen don't realize it's bullshit.

Source: I work for a law firm. And yes, we pay for that shit.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
RE: The Super Lawyers shit, it's basically a scam. While getting the award is free- and I'm not even sure of the criteria, it's probably bullshit as pretty much all my attorney coworkers have it- you have to pay the company who awards it a few hundred bucks a year to use the Super Lawyers logo on your website and promo materials. And yet, lawyers will pay them because laymen don't realize it's bullshit.

Source: I work for a law firm. And yes, we pay for that shit.
I've never watched Rekieta's livestream because, as far as I know, there's no keyword I can type that will make a robot arm with a boxing glove pop out and punch him in the teeth. So when I heard about him claiming Ty Beard is a jedi super lawyer, I assumed that it was just some nonspecific puffery. Like, "this is the best lawyer you'll ever meet". I didn't think that they could possibly be trying to convince me that this was an actual accredited thing.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

This seems important but I'm having a little difficulty following it. Looks like Beard's firm getting caught doing some shady practices? Dunno if "Percy" is a person or a meme I don't know because I'm a nerd and live under a rock.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
My concern now is how Rekieta's going to spin a defeat; if he's suckered a dumb audience like that and they aren't too far gone, will it shake them out of this when they learn that Rekieta's hyped-up super jedi lawyer's MENSA membership was actually a NAMBLA membership all along?
Honestly, I don't think YouTube Lawyer will have to do much of anything. These dumbass fans will come up with their own reason as to how Vic lost the case. I mean look at them, they are spending a countless amount of energy trying to tell actually lawyers they don't understand the law works lol

Yeah, the whole reason why they rallied behind Vic in the first place is because they view him as their great Straight White martyr who is "unfairly having his life ruined by the SJWs." The inevitability of this case getting thrown out will just give themselves someone to champion as the victim until they get bored and move on to the next high profile thing that catches their attention.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
For the record, I dont believe it's directly related to the current case, but Doucette looked into Beard's firm and found that they had previously been sanctioned by the court in a previous trial. So the so-called Super Lawyer and his buddies got caught with their pants down.

(One of the lawyers involved, Casper, isn't at the firm. Maybe they left, I dunno.)

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

This seems important but I'm having a little difficulty following it. Looks like Beard's firm getting caught doing some shady practices? Dunno if "Percy" is a person or a meme I don't know because I'm a nerd and live under a rock.

Isn't this just the incident that came up previously in the thread?

IIRC one of the other lawyers with Beard claimed it was all him and he'd just put Beard and the others' names on it, but they failed to appeal it/get their client to appeal it properly so the punishment on all of them stuck? Or something like that?

who knows if the claim was truthful or not, of course

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this just the incident that came up previously in the thread?

IIRC one of the other lawyers with Beard claimed it was all him and he'd just put Beard and the others' names on it, but they failed to appeal it/get their client to appeal it properly so the punishment on all of them stuck? Or something like that?

who knows if the claim was truthful or not, of course

I haven't been following this thread closely the entire time, so it's entirely possible that it came up before and I missed it.

Although looking at the tweet again, this was in March of this year? Not even half a year ago? I'm wondering if signing his name on those documents - whether he made them or not - and then getting a lawsuit slapped down as frivolous in such proximity might increase the chances that Ty Beard might get penalized for all of this.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Dan Olson's tweet about the defamation suit led me to catch up on what's been happening, and wow. I don't know how, but he might've found the most incompetent lawyers imaginable.
Also I can't stop laughing at the idiots responding to Doucette on twitter

I know the law and this guy is no super lawyer, do you even law bro?!

When you see someone lives in North Carolina and think that means they live in a small hick town, not realising that Durham is one of the richest, most upper-crust cities in the entire country, home to a major university, and right outside the state capital. What morons.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine that the last thing these guys want to do is actually go to court with the likes of Funimation especially after everything we've seen so far being absolutely clown shoes.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
that's not even all of the good shit

Defendant specifically denies that Plaintiff's purported request to Defendant complied with the requirements set forth in §73.055(d) the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code. Plaintiff's request failed to describe all of the allegedly false and defamatory statements by Defendant and state the time and place of their publication, if known. Instead, Plaintiff refers to unspecified tweets from other voice actors "who appeared to be speaking on behalf of FUNimation," without identifying the substance of the tweets and the time and place of their publication. Plaintiff also alleges that the "implication of FUNimation's tweets is that [Plaintiff] engaged in sexual harassment or sexually threatening behavior," when the referenced FUNimation tweets do not use the word "sexual" or refer specifically to any threatening or harassing behavior by Plaintiff.
2. Defendant is not liable to Plaintiff because Defendant's allegedly defamatory statements were substantially true.
3. Defendant is not liable to Plaintiff because Plaintiff (and/or his agents) consented to and/or published the allegedly defamatory statements by discussing them in public and on social media outlets.
4. Defendant is not liable to Plaintiff because of Plaintiff's previously diminished reputation.
5. Defendant is not liable to Plaintiff on the grounds that Defendant was induced and provoked to make the statements by the wrongful and malicious acts of Plaintiff.

don't mind me, just drinking all this in

Stryk3r

May 8, 2019
Looks like those legal fees raised for Vic are gonna be turned around and used for everyone else's legal fees once this clears.

BFL and Beard were banking hard on a settlement

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Basically, this sums it up.
VG5bHwU.png

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Funi isn't settling. No need to settle when the opposing lawyer is a buffoon who can't do his job right.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to Vic's lawyers using their time tested defense of "Our client is literally not a bag of shit. Give us a million dollars please."

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Funi got recepits and is willing to break they down in detail in court.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Dunno if "Percy" is a person or a meme I don't know because I'm a nerd and live under a rock.

While I doubt it's the salient reference here, in another community I'm in we have a memetic use of Percy from Princess Tomato from the Salad Kingdom and I'm posting just because I'm chuckling to myself over "Oopsie boss, dropped your lawsuit" or just, like, how this represents the entirety of Vic's defense:
maxresdefault.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with more than zero knowledge of defamation law could see from the start that Vic taking this to court was a stupid idea. I guess Funimation took that in itself as a sign that Vic didn't want to settle this like gentleman, he wanted some real gangster shit.

I'm seeing the stuff we discussed on this forum here, too, looks like they put in everything they could here. Like, I know we brought up the question of how Funimation could have vicarious liability when their VAs aren't employees or acting on behalf of Funimation in any way, and sure enough:

6. Defendant is not liable to Plaintiff for allegedly defamatory made by third-parties, including any allegedly defamatory statements made by any other defendants sued in this lawsuit because those other defendants were not agents or employees of Defendant and therefore were not
acting within the course and scope of any agency or employment.

and also everything Greg Doucette pointed out:

7. Defendant is not liable to Plaintiff because the allegedly defamatory statements
were not made with actual malice.
8. Defendant is not liable to Plaintiff because any alleged defamatory statements were
statements of opinion.
9. Defendants is not liable to Plaintiff because Plaintiff does not identify a valid
contract that was the subject of any alleged interference.

For all the stuff mentioning why there's legal rules stating that the exemplary damage here should be capped or eliminated, that's where the real money would be in this case, I believe. Exemplary / punitive damages are money rewarded beyond the actual measured damages done to the plaintiff, solely to punish. America's generally pretty big on this as far as I know, although there are particular states you go to. The idea of bringing Funimation into this was probably to hit them with punitive damages and get a big payout.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
While I doubt it's the salient reference here, in another community I'm in we have a memetic use of Percy from Princess Tomato from the Salad Kingdom and I'm posting just because I'm chuckling to myself over "Oopsie boss, dropped your lawsuit" or just, like, how this represents the entirety of Vic's defense:
maxresdefault.jpg
I loved this game as a kid and vote that we spam this when Percy Beard loses.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
so from this point on Riketa and Beard shall be known as Screech and Percy right?

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
maxresdefault.jpg
What about Percy from Black Adder?

tumblr_p422r6Dwow1wctw8lo1_250.gif

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You know what else I like? It's clear that these are specifically Funimation lawyers. "Defendant" refers to Funimation, and "other defendants" refers to Monica and Ron. Funimation wasn't the one hit with defamation, they were just hit with the vicarious liability, so that bit towards the end about how the other defendants aren't really associated with them is all they really needed to do for their own clients.

But they go all in on the defamation part anyway, that's what they start with, and that's the bulk of what they talk about. It's not even what they're getting sued for and they're trying to completely glass it.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
Is it weird that I think it's hilarious that Funi is escalating this by asking for a jury trial?
I think that's Funi's intention with that flex. It's a communication of "Do you really wanna fucking go?"

Not necessarily a flex - civil procedure rules usually require that you demand for a jury trial in your answer or else you are considered to have waived that right should it get to trial.