• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Dunno if "Percy" is a person or a meme I don't know because I'm a nerd and live under a rock.
It's neither a meme nor a specific reference. The name Percy carries a stigma of, well... being effeminate. It's also Ty Beard's legal given name, which he choses not to go by because one can assume he's ashamed of it. So, it's low-effort shit talking, in other words.

Stryk3r

May 8, 2019
I don't feel bad for Nick but his tweets since this and getting schooled about his lack of Texas law knowledge by someone else have really been lacking any sort of bite.

Has the punching bag finally lost all its sand

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

Okay here is what just happened here

Nick literally just forgot the difference between slander and libel, and that they are both under the umbrella of defamation (which is largely similar between US jurisdictions).

His fan base is all "Greg's just trying to get you on a gotcha with his lawyer talk" but holy fucking shit, this is falling short of basic competence of understanding what a term of art is (literally first semester law school stuff) or understanding basic factors of a legal theory he's trying to debate

TL;DR: he should not be confused by any of this and the fact that he was really, really is making me believe that this dude does not practice

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Nick literally just forgot the difference between slander and libel, and that they are both under the umbrella of defamation (which is largely similar between US jurisdictions).

His fan base is all "Greg's just trying to get you on a gotcha with his lawyer talk" but holy fucking shit, this is falling short of basic competence of understanding what a term of art is (literally first semester law school stuff) or understanding basic factors of a legal theory he's trying to debate

TL;DR: he should not be confused by any of this and the fact that he was really, really is making me believe that this dude does not practice

Fake it till you make it

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

its as almost if a lawyer who wanted to make money from a case by other means didnt actually know what the fuck he was talking about

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah at this point I think they thought Funimation would buckle and the voice actors could afford representation so it would be a slam dunk settlement.
I also wouldn't be surprised if they actually thought Vic was this huge deal in the anime community and that FUNimation was just looking for a reason to hire him back anyways.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This grifter is really is just perfect for Vic and his audience. Racist, egotistical as fuck, a goddamn liar and completely incompetent.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, the man's been thumbing through textbooks for the past three days trying to find the definition of actual malice, he can't look up a whole nuther two words. Cut him some slack.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
MechaX , you're going to love this. Rekieta didn't realize you have to communicate statements to another person in order for it to be defamation.

That's why he got on the subject of libel versus slander. He didn't know what publishing means in that context, so he didn't realize that slander also has to be published. It's like trying saying, don't worry, the only reason you were stupid just now is just because you're gigantic moron.

Last edited:

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The sad thing is if Vic had any shred of decency, he would've accepted the consequences and worked to rebuild the bridges he burned.

He didn't.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really an attack if he's laughing about it and actually "lawsplaining" to them lol.
That still hasn't changed. They think they're "owning him" while everyone else just laughs.
specifically it was the piece of shit defense line and it getting around lawyer twitter in general because they thought it was so bad it was funny.
Ah yeah. That was it

Edit: It was specifically when this image was making the rounds:
D8unvTrW4AEBUiX

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
The sad thing is if Vic had any shred of decency, he would've accepted the consequences and worked to rebuild the bridges he burned.

He didn't.

Oh yeah. Just think, if Vic had just had, if not the common decency, then at least the common sense to not allow ineffectual clowns to involve him in bullshit legal proceedings, he could have quietly sat this out for a while and still been relatively untainted. At the very least, money and courtroom appearances wouldn't have to be an issue. Now? I think he has indeed burned every bridge in the industry for himself. Vic Mignogna is nowhere near the level of an entertainer like Mel Gibson who, while also an awful person who has been caught red-handed multiple times, is still fucking Mel Gibson, a charismatic actor who was huge back in the day and a good director who, as a result of his noteworthy talents, can still manage to find some opportunities despite being rightfully ostracized by and large. By contrast, Mignogna is an utterly unremarkable (unless you count his performance as Rohan in JJBA), completely expendable low-level anime dub VA schmuck. He seriously needed to know his place and cross his fingers that the years-in-the-making backlash against him wouldn't fuck him over too much.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
What I love is how they don't get why Greg is being so insulting. He's trying to point out to them that you can call people pieces of ships, goatfuckers, or anything like that and it's not defamation.

But right over there head it goes.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That they wilingly exposed themselves to all of this by stupidly thinking they were smart enough to carry it is such sweet justice.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah at this point I think they thought Funimation would buckle and the voice actors could afford representation so it would be a slam dunk settlement.
I also wouldn't be surprised if they actually thought Vic was this huge deal in the anime community and that FUNimation was just looking for a reason to hire him back anyways.
Their whole plan has been super obvious from the start. Honestly I could see them hiring Vic after a timeout or even under a fake name. But him suing burned all the bridges. And Funi thinking they need to make an example is going to go full bore from the start to shut future knuckleheads down

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Their whole plan has been super obvious from the start.
I dunno, I think trying to intimidate someone with dictionary definitions wasn't a tactic I was expected. Honestly there was a little while between "no one can be that stupid" and "wow they're even dumber than I thought" where I was wondering what their plan could possibly be.

Anyway, someone on Twitter pointed out that Nick Rekieta's law school (William Mitchell College of Law) doesn't exist anymore, it merged with another school. So I looked that up on Wikipedia. The citation link isn't up anymore, but it was apparently listed as the #134th best law school in U.S. News & World Report magazine. Then I look at the college it merged with, Hamline School of Law, and that was apparently at a six way tie at #124 of 144.

So we're potentially looking at the bottom 14% or so. Of this selection, at least.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I think trying to intimidate someone with dictionary definitions wasn't a tactic I was expected. Honestly there was a little while between "no one can be that stupid" and "wow they're even dumber than I thought" where I was wondering what their plan could possibly be.

Anyway, someone on Twitter pointed out that Nick Rekieta's law school (William Mitchell College of Law) doesn't exist anymore, it merged with another school. So I looked that up on Wikipedia. The citation link isn't up anymore, but it was apparently listed as the #134th best law school in U.S. News & World Report magazine. Then I look at the college it merged with, Hamline School of Law, and that was apparently at a six way tie at #124 of 144.

So we're potentially looking at the bottom 14% or so. Of this selection, at least.
Stupid people will make you second guess yourself