• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you follow these stories often? Assuming trust is noble on the surface but also dangerously naive. Really you shouldn't believe anything coming out of the Gater Twitter community or conservative media in general without outside corroboration. Tye Vic community has created their own false reality in order to paint him as a victim of some cabal.

You're absolutely right. They're more than likely lying, but to disregard everything as fake seems foolish. I'm not suggesting you take everything and run with, more of a sit and wait for more details approach.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Heard that Vic was actually planning a proper apology statement and admitted to close friends he fucked up before the YT grifters started using him as an example of "SJWs gone mad woooaaaah" BS and he was approached with the "VicKicksBack" shit. The "he got played" guess may well be true.

If that's the case and the defense has access to the video or any of the evidence he said as much to his friends, that's pretty uh... damning.

Lol, not surprised in the slightest that he was in the process of crafting a more elaborate apology after giving one before the whole blackface and beard thing happened.

Not feeling a ounce of sympathy for him for losing his money and the rest of his dignity on this case tho.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That look on Vic's face.
QcXgV1K.png

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
According to that Twitter thread, apparently so. Apparently fans use it as an excuse to congregate and make their own fun and there are few anime cons serving the Houston area to compete.
Houston has a lot of alternatives for anime cons actually. Delta H Con happens in the fall while Oni-Con takes place in Galveston, an tour's drive away.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So basically Vic was going to do the right thing but then all this happened and he threw redemption out the window?

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
So basically Vic was going to do the right thing but then all this happened and he threw redemption out the window?

Dude is probably holding on to hope that the lawyers can salvage what little of a career he has left so he's not doing appearances at random malls and dojos, so he's not going to dump them outright

He probably also knows in the back of his mind that his lawyers are A class grifters and are only going to make things way worse

Stryk3r

May 8, 2019
Holy shit, I'll admit I've never heard a second of nick speaking but how old is he? He sounds like he's suffering from a major case of Ben Shapiro, except he's tall and sounds like 13 year old

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, Vic held a Sunday Service at the Sakura Con I saw him at. I figured it was common knowledge that he did that, but I guess not. Maybe he's been banned from doing now (obviously, I mean before all this stuff happened).

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't a clue what this means but it seems like an update that both sides agreed to

If I'm not mistaken,

"motion to extend time to dismiss" - as in, trying to get more time before the judge just throws the whole fucking thing in the trash
"depo dates set for Vic, Monica, and Ron" - dates set for these three to be interviewed in order to obtain testimony to be used as evidence

Previously Percy Beard had this whole thing where he tried to move the depo dates after agreeing on a date that was convenient or himself and Vic, and then tried to get a confidentiality agreement at the same time. He failed with the confidentiality, I forget if there was a known result regarding the dates (and had no idea why he was suddenly so afraid of the original agreed date anyway).

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I looked at the actual filing and it seems to be a little different than the tweet. It says "agreed motion to extend time to file motion to dismiss". So that gives the defense more time to request that the case be thrown out? Or could it be a minimum amount of time before they file it? I'll look over the whole thing in a bit.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so what I get from this thing is:

- both sides filed this thing
- they've agreed on certain dates (June 26-28) to get the testimony
- they want the date to motion for dismissal to be moved in accordance
- I don't see any particular tactical reasoning here; the case Monica/Ron/Funimation's side makes is that this allows a timely process for information to be gathered, whereas Vic's side is saying that it's in accordance with regulations
- if the request goes through, July 19 is the relevant date (I think it's the deadline at which the defense can file for the case to be dismissed, but I'm not 100% on that)
- "and grant Plaintiff and Defendants Rial and Toye all other relief to which they may be entitled." seems like it could be important, no idea what it could be. Could be nothing and just necessary to put in, or could be that there's something else associated with this

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Need an actual lawyer to chime in to describe how much of this is actually significant.

To me it sorta just seems like a formality- depositions are taking long enough to happen that they reasonably want to still have time to file for dismissal after. And it's not clear if Vic/Beard going along with the extension matters, or if fighting that would seem unreasonable (to the point that even they understand that). Guessing that last bit indicates it's a matter of being reasonable, but idk.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Need an actual lawyer to chime in to describe how much of this is actually significant.

To me it sorta just seems like a formality- depositions are taking long enough to happen that they reasonably want to still have time to file for dismissal after. And it's not clear if Vic/Beard going along with the extension matters, or if fighting that would seem unreasonable (to the point that even they understand that). Guessing that last bit indicates it's a matter of being reasonable, but idk.
Not a lawyer either, but my hunch is pretty much the same; it's just something everyone knows the defense is entitled to but for some reason the defense doesn't get it automatically and has to file a motion.

But since some people have been asking how long this is going to go on, at least we have some dates. End of this month, they give their testimony. Halfway through next month, the defense can try to get the thing killed right then and there.

Oct 26, 2017
Since when has anime had anything to do with Christianity? You've got Superbook yeah, but most of it is either "Shinthism" flavored, anti-worship, or not concerned with religion at all.

You can tie Christianity to pretty much anything if you try hard enough. Vic has been doing Christian panels/sermons at anime cons since the beginning. I always thought it was weird but now it's clear that it was just another way he could gather more members into his cult.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

You're right for the most part; this is literally all just scheduling for discovery's sake.

The relevant portion of the statute is this:

Section 27.003(b):
MOTION TO DISMISS. (a) If a legal action is based on, relates to, or is in response to a party's exercise of the right of free speech, right to petition, or right of association, that party may file a motion to dismiss the legal action.

(b) A motion to dismiss a legal action under this section must be filed not later than the 60th day after the date of service of the legal action. The court may extend the time to file a motion under this section on a showing of good cause.

(c) Except as provided by Section 27.006(b), on the filing of a motion under this section, all discovery in the legal action is suspended until the court has ruled on the motion to dismiss.

In short, the Vic's attorney and the Defendants have already been in contact on arranging deposition dates. However, things can easily fall through, scheduling conflicts can arise, etc, etc, which may push things beyond the 60 day default for Defendant to file a dismissal. Now as for why the Plantiff would agree to this, it's more a professional courtesy and also due to how a Judge would likely allow likely one continuance even over their objection, so why waste the time even going down that road (plus, the Judge may also not be happy if the Plaintiff's objected because showing good cause for a continuance in this circumstance isn't that hard).

This way, Vic's attorneys can still depose the Defendants to try to prove whatever it is they want to prove, and the Defendants can still depose Vic and still file a timely motion to dismiss depending on what goes down in these depos.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Since when has anime had anything to do with Christianity? You've got Superbook yeah, but most of it is either "Shinthism" flavored, anti-worship, or not concerned with religion at all.
Shinthism?

And it was usually just a request of his which cons obliged with because they didn't want to upset such a big draw, as I understand it. As has been shared, he's always been a bit of a diva, even if certain cons' staff never saw that side of him.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like BFL got a C&D from Duck Dynasty(!?) for trying to sell Fear the Beard merch.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like BFL got a C&D from Duck Dynasty(!?) for trying to sell Fear the Beard merch.

What in the actual fuck lmao, just when you thought things couldn't get any weirder and more pathetic on their side.

I can freaking believe I'm siding with the goddamn Duck Dynasty people on something, that's the true power of blackface lawyer I guess.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I mean, not that the Duck Dynasty guys are exactly opposite with a lot of Vic/this movement's political/religious/moral views...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

As an aside, I thought the debaters here were rather polite (maybe they had just lost their confidence by now) so I looked at their twitter feeds. On has has screencaps from Shield Hero saying how it unintentionally parallels #IStandWithVic, the other has a retweet of a guy stanning for that N-word spouting NRA kid that got his acceptance rescinded from Harvard.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
How did the Duck Dynasty guys even wind of Beard using their slogan? I figure he would be a bit below their radar.