• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I've always heard that this guy was a huge creep. Didn't realize he was a homophobe too, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Hopefully the dubbing industry takes notice of his predatory behavior and stops hiring him.

Would Funimation redub Full Metal Alchemist if they ever rereleased it?

The North American rights have reverted back to Aniplex, and they probably won't.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a frequent attendee of conventions and I've heard that Vic Mignogna has made homophobic statements in the past and many people have told me personally of stories about Mignogna that is sexual harassment and how he tries to seduce underage girls.

These allegations are nothing new.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine randomly getting a big wet kiss from this clown as a 15 year old, whew. Shit would scar me
KdStXqV.jpg

i2jaL69.jpg

There's a more besides these from that thread, too.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
So he's a peado, glad they brought back for this movie! He's probably salivating at the newcrop of groupies he can manipulate now

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I've been hearing stories about him for YEARS. Like, a decade ago at least.

He has actually been banned from multiple conventions. The stories about him picking up tons of underage fangirls are all over the internet.

https://www.google.com/amp/conventionhorrorstories.tumblr.com/post/36910875571/con-memoirs/amp

Example. From 2012

Strange, I can't seem to open the link. Other posters seem to be able to though so I'll add it to the OP.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, look up "vic mignogna kissed me" on YouTube.

Strange, I can't seem to open the link. Other posters seem to be able to though so I'll add it to the OP.

http://conventionhorrorstories.tumblr.com/post/36910875571/con-memoirs

there's even the Tumblr based entirely around underage girls anonymously confessing what he's done to them

http://vicmeggnognahorrorstories.tumblr.com

http://vicmeggnognahorrorstories.tumblr.com/post/37222159003/the-saga-of-knights-and-mangina

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Horrible. I had no idea his behaviour was such an open secret. I guess that's it, then.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Never met the dude or paid much attention to him (I didn't watch dubs), so I didnt know about the antisemitism or homophobia. But as someone who's been going to cons since 2003, and been part of the cosplay community almost as long, the creepy behavior and sexual harassment has been talked about for a looooong time.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've hated this fuck for years and not just for being a really shitty voice actor.

He said some shit about how courts shouldn't decide gay marriage and then tried to claim he was being attacked for being Christian.

Fuck off straight to hell, Vic.

Found it:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7WImy_laCI4&ved=2ahUKEwjAiJ-KgIDgAhU1CjQIHU2vBMQQjjgwAHoECAUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3P-GKq3FlISOX7lTS1ZGOY

Homophobic piece of shit.

I hate that he gets any work at all let alone that he ruined Escaflowne by getting to voice Folken in the fucking redub. I refuse to buy anything he works on.
I'm confused. How was that interpreted as homophobic?

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Vic is a genuine piece of shit no matter how talented he is as a VA you can't take that crud away from him.

Oct 25, 2017
4TkoKe1.jpg

After only a couple minutes of searching you can instantly find many videos and pictures of Vic kissing various underage girls' necks or cheeks. The facial expression in this one kind of says it all.

I also believe a specific ex-Vic fanclub member mentioned he invited her to his room..

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
The bigger sham is that it's been known for a STUPID LONG time Vic has been a huge creep to minors. Especially in regards to using his clout as a voice actor for famous characters to get at young girls. They even posted proof of such interactions.
He got away for as long as he did because the industry turned a blind eye towards it. That's all I can think of. Nothing else makes sense. This shit doesn't even qualify as an 'open secret' it's been an outspoken thing. When abuse and harassment against pre-teen, teenage and young adult women happen in fandoms on a wide scale it's often dismissed as a non-issue.

EDIT: When I say long time I mean it. When I was a pre-teen it was widely known he was a pedophile and a creep and the proof was just as exposed then as it is now.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Since I don't follow too much the lives of actors, didn't have the slightest idea Monogna was a creep and homophobic.

Honestly, what is wrong with those people? Why can't they respect others?

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Decided just to make a seperate post. Here ya go OP Sibersk Esto

With regards to sexual conduct:
With regards to antisemitism:
With regards to homophobia:
With regards to general behavior/how he is seen by coworkers:
A couple of twitter threads:
  • MarzGurl tackling his apology
  • A thread with responses that are accounts of him being a sex pest, a homophobe, or a jerk:

Finally, there is a minor hashtag that started to #KickVic, so to speak, which I feel is worth keeping an eye on.

Edit: I will note with the homophobia stuff there is a video of him circulating of him standing up to "GOD HATES F-slur" type protesters at a con, but it's clearly staged and the way he's acting makes him seem like he's trying to get brownie points.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I've seen him at Metrocon before and have definitely seen him kissing teenage girls. Videos make it look even worse.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. How was that interpreted as homophobic?

Interpreted?

He was asked how he felt about gay marriage and didn't say he supports it. Which, I don't think I should have to explain, makes him a homophobe. If you don't support equal rights for gay people, then you're a homophobe. But assuming you set the bar higher for some reason..

He goes on, and loudly insists that the government should not get to allow gay people to marry and that "the people" should get to decide instead.

If you're not aware, in the United States of America, gay marriage was legalized by the Supreme Court (the government) and not the people. It's a statement of opposition to gay marriage. There isn't anything to interpret. He's against gay marriage.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This guy is a major creep, kiss that job goodbye dude.

Also, this has been blatantly out in the open, the fact that the con community hasn't spoken up about this and this guy continues to go to them is a huge red flag to me. I am not even an overly protective person, but if I had a daughter or family member getting kissed or touched on like this by a stranger I would not be ok with it. Fame isn't an all-access pass to teenage girls dude.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think they are getting at the fact that there are plenty of legit accusations and that we don't need to go down the route of insulting how he physically appears.

That said, I don't feel pity insulting a pedophile any and every way possible.

I believe it's not about insulting him, just the whole "I always knew X was a creep, just look at him", as it implies that only people that look a certain way could be capable of stuff like this.

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Decided just to make a seperate post. Here ya go OP Sibersk Esto

With regards to sexual conduct:
With regards to antisemitism:
With regards to homophobia:
With regards to general behavior/how he is seen by coworkers:
A couple of twitter threads:
  • MarzGurl tackling his apology
  • A thread with responses that are accounts of him being a sex pest, a homophobe, or a jerk:

Finally, there is a minor hashtag that started to #KickVic, so to speak, which I feel is worth keeping an eye on.

Edit: I will note with the homophobia stuff there is a video of him circulating of him standing up to "GOD HATES F-slur" type protesters at a con, but it's clearly staged and the way he's acting makes him seem like he's trying to get brownie points.

Thank you for your time. There's some stuff that was covered by other posters but I'll add it to the OP.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Thank you for your time. There's some stuff that was covered by other posters but I'll add it to the OP.
Yeah sorry about that, I took too long I guess. But thank you everyone for contributing.

But how??? He has all of these unfavorable allegations that have proof to so many of these allegations...
Well, as shown by this thread, for as many people who know he's a creep, just as many either don't know or believe the allegations to be false.

tbh I don't even know how he's so marketable myself outside of that, he just IS. I guess people are suckered in by his nice guy routine? Which is weird given the number of genuinely kind and fan-loving VAs who might be considered hearthrobs and aren't demonstrably anti-LGBT and creepers, like say, Matt Mercer or Todd Haberkorn.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering why conventions have decided to not ban Mignogna from their events.
A great deal of this will have transpired before #MeToo so other than anecdotal and isolated cases of people willing to call out his behaviour, a larger, more comprehensive movement to see something done about allegations of sexual harassment is something a lot of people wouldn't have felt was capable of them. And by proxy, event organizers will have had little incentive to take a stance.

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't aware of any of this. That is crazy. He is my favorite anime voice actor, but these pictures of him necking ladies is gross.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
A great deal of this will have transpired before #MeToo so other than anecdotal and isolated cases of people willing to call out his behaviour, a larger, more comprehensive movement to see something done about allegations of sexual harassment is something a lot of people wouldn't have felt was capable of them. And by proxy, event organizers will have had little incentive to take a stance.
Yeah this is true too, before #MeToo people were letting stuff like this slide for a while. Prior to this Broly movie, The last time he was in anything major (Free!) was right before #MeToo so calls to action against him weren't heeded when people who knew he was creepy realized "oh shit he's actually still in the industry". Maybe this time something can be done, I hope.

Edit: And you know, the weirdest thing is how he and his defenders are framing this as angry yaoi fans, or people who otherwise are envious of him. Which is... bizarre. There's so many accounts of him acting like this that, mathematically, it's IMPOSSIBLE that every last one is false. Not to mention the lack of almost any other VAs being called out (though I have noticed mentions of Chris Niosi here and there, which I should likely look into sooner than later).

Edit2: Also worth noting that Funimation is the main company he's worked with for the past five years or so, with a few non-union CA jobs here and there for uncredited roles in video games. And Funi seems to have a link with Rick Santorum, to the point he flat out had free reign of the offices while his own Christian media company shared the building, ssssoooo.... the leadership likely has conservative leaning and wants to avoid this controversy completely.

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I believe it's not about insulting him, just the whole "I always knew X was a creep, just look at him", as it implies that only people that look a certain way could be capable of stuff like this.
Yeah stuff like this just clouds the issue. It's always after discovery too

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't follow voice actors or conventions that closely so even though this was apparently well-known, I hadn't seen the stories until today. Fuck him. Would have watched the Broly movie subbed if i could anyway.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck I didn't even know about this. What a piece of shit. Hopefully more people start hearing about this and he fucks off out of the anime community.