• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, the really funny part about this "spin" is that knowing Beard and Rekieta they most likely fully believe their own spin. So Beard is gonna waltz into mediation (with Rekieta tagging along in the back) thinking the judge is shook and on the verge of declaring a mistrial when if anything he's doing the complete opposite and giving them a last chance to walk out peacefully.

The schadenfreude is so deliciously palpable I could eat it for breakfast.
I'll just leave this here again,
giphy.gif

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
From all appearances, Vic's been pretty detached from the whole case. He handed Beard the keys to the car, so to say, who drove over to Nick's place, drank a six pack or two, and ended up upside-down in a ditch. Now Vic's got a trashed car, Beard's got a throbbing hangover, and decisions have to be made.

This is probably one of the best analogs I read about this case. Bravo.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
One of the best parts will always be that Percy actually used "Seinfeld Defense" in a petition as if it were some sort of recognized law thing.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Wish they turned on comments for this one.

Really interesting that more places are finally talking about it outside the animeSphere

I mean... there are good reasons why they don't. This is an article about people who do things like send death threats to a judge.

Read some of the answers to that tweet Greg is posting for more background.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Well, guess it hurts to be optimistic
If there is a silver lining in all this its that it gives those who have gone through this a bit more confidence to speak up on these abuses in solidarity, assuming of course people are willing to provide that space for support after seeing these events.

Nov 3, 2017
Had to look them up and yikes, glad I missed the controversy around those 2. But even then, this is the community that champions crap like Kill la Kill, where minors are shamelessly sexualized, so the problems come from different sides and topics, sadly.

Full disclosure: Kill la Kill is one of the handful of anime that I love

KLK is a bit of a weird duck, in that it can also be interpreted through a feminist lens. I have doubts that was the specific intention of the creator, but by making nearly all the prime agents and movers of the story female, and all the defining relationships be between women, the show functions as a surprisingly feminist text.

Anecdotally, I know way more female fans of KLK than male.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru

KLK is a bit of a weird duck, in that it can also be interpreted through a feminist lens. I have doubts that was the specific intention of the creator, but by making nearly all the prime agents and movers of the story female, and all the defining relationships be between women, the show functions as a surprisingly feminist text.

Show could've been done without dressing up schoolgirls in silly outfits meant to sexualize them. I will never support that kind of crap when it is so ingrained in the DNA of the show.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Had to look them up and yikes, glad I missed the controversy around those 2. But even then, this is the community that champions crap like Kill la Kill, where minors are shamelessly sexualized, so the problems come from different sides and topics, sadly.

I loved Kill La Kill and personally didn't find it offensive speaking as a woman. Mostly because while it did play sexualization for laughs in several places, it also had a strong female cast who was presented as flawed, but powerful and sympathetic. That and the fan service never reached the point of being tasteless imo since to me, it was so over the top that it's like being offended at Punch Out for being racial insensitivity.

That said, I can see why people would have issue with it, especially if you don't watched the show and just look at clips.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Doucette just hit upon something that I was just thinking about when the Judge was talking about the possibility of even Marchi being roped back on appeal.

If one of the claims survived the Motion to Dismiss, only the party in which the defamation claim pertained to (I.e., not Marchi because she's still dismissed from the bench) would have the standing or reason to appeal. If a defamation claim went through, that doesn't mean the suit is over; it just means the parties can proceed with additional discovery; the remaining claim would go on to its logical conclusion with more discovery (likely being defeated at summary judgment) and then Percy could argue that the Judge was wrong on everything, including Marchi, and bring that up to appeal.

The only way Marchi would even be back in as little as three months is if Chupp destroys the entire remaining case in early October, making the entire case dead and ripe for appeal.

To put a long story short, there is a high chance that Chupp is going to nuke Vic's entire case and is giving this as an opportunity to save face and not have "the anime community" wilding during appeals.

Last edited:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Doucette just hit upon something that I was just thinking about when the Judge was talking about the possibility of even Marchi being roped back on appeal.

If one of the claims survived the Motion to Dismiss, only the party in which the defamation claim pertained to (I.e., not Marchi because she's still dismissed from the bench) would have the standing or reason to appeal. Otherwise, the entire case would go on to its logical conclusion (likely being defeated at summary judgment) and then Percy could argue that the Judge was wrong on everything and bring that up to appeal.

The only way Marchi would even be back in as little as three months is if Chupp destroys the entire remaining case in early October, making the entire case dead and ripe for appeal.

To put a long story short, there is a high chance that Chupp is going to nuke Vic's entire case and is giving this as an opportunity to save face and not have "the anime community" wilding during appeals.

I kind of read the same thing into this quote from Chupp :"as opposed to me doing something, and then y'all having to appeal it"

Sounds like he's referring to the something he is planning to do in the future- ie dismiss the defamation claims as well. I don't think he would have phrased it that way if we was considering letting the defamation claims proceed to trial.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

A feminist text with a rape joke in the first episode.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes, wasting a ton of fucking money and a lot of time is exactly why Vic pursued this case in the first place. So much winning, just can't stop with this wins.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
The very mean unfair judge is so inept that he's probably using this mediation as a way to recuse himself and avoid admitting he fucked up the case.
...Or so I've read on "the farms."

Doctor_Y

Avenger
Mar 14, 2019
Regarding the mediation.

I've seen several takes but one thing is absolutely clear. Mediation won't happen. Vic actually believes the lies Ty and Nick told him, because he has to. Nick and Ty need to keep the grift alive. The defendants won't accept ANYTHING else besides an official acknowledgement/apology of Vic to his deeds, payment of ALL the costs and some way of shutting up Nick completely.

Because nothing can shut up Nick except for alcohol poisoning, mediation isn't going to happen.

Fun fact. My favorite tweet from one of the VicStans was "But there is no connection between Nick and Vic at all. Nobody can blame Vic for anything Nick did."

Which is funny. Because posing together for pictures, hugging each other on video and that whole "Hey i made a GFM for you" - "Hey that GFM is legit" - "I also hired my sugardaddy as your lawyer" - "Righto" thing looks like a tiny connection to me.

Fun fact. A few years ago i was at a convention where the creators of KLK talked to the audience. They were basically just talking about how much they love boobs, girls, girls with boobs and how much they love to look at the boobs of the girls cosplaying their characters.

The fact that the full cast of this Anime is girls being almost naked is to not a small part rooted in the hope that cosplayers would wear the outfits for them to oggle them.

Porcupine_i

Apr 9, 2018
Fun fact. My favorite tweet from one of the VicStans was "But there is no connection between Nick and Vic at all. Nobody can blame Vic for anything Nick did."

Which is funny. Because posing together for pictures, hugging each other on video and that whole "Hey i made a GFM for you" - "Hey that GFM is legit" - "I also hired my sugardaddy as your lawyer" - "Righto" thing looks like a tiny connection to me.

The best thing about this, is that the GFM is perfect evidence that Vic is a public figure, why else would the public fund his lawsuit?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring the fact that this mediation is not for claims that have already been dismissed...
Well, Marchi still has to go so that's not completely true. The Judge made it pretty clear she has to go thought because if she can get Vic to settle there then they don't need to go through all the sanctions/appeals/etc.

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
Minor pedantic. Judge Chupp suggested it but it's not the same type of order as on Vic or the other Defendants who still have cases. "I think she should show up" is not the same.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing about this, is that the GFM is perfect evidence that Vic is a public figure, why else would the public fund his lawsuit?

The entire lawsuit is perfect evidence. I don't get how that argument is a thing, when Vic is suing for the loss of 1-5 million dollars, based on not being at cons to sign merchandise/pictures of himself for the adoring masses. Even Vic's own deposition made it perfectly clear that he sees himself very much as a public figure.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Fun fact. A few years ago i was at a convention where the creators of KLK talked to the audience. They were basically just talking about how much they love boobs, girls, girls with boobs and how much they love to look at the boobs of the girls cosplaying their characters.

The fact that the full cast of this Anime is girls being almost naked is to not a small part rooted in the hope that cosplayers would wear the outfits for them to oggle them.
So the reasons behind the stupid outfits in that show were even worse and more creepy than I thought. Fucking hell... for those of you who love that show, reconsider it because... wow.
Y'all should probably take the KlK derail to a different topic. It has 0 relevance here.
Yeah, I might actually do some research and create a topic during the weekend. I just found it weird how this show is popular even among people in a forum like this, one would thing most would find it absolutely distasteful. Sorry for the derail, gonna keep following the developments of the whole Vic shitshow.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am, of course, no expert, but if my understanding is correct from what I took from the hearing transcript, it would be in Jamie's interest to be part of the mediation because if she can reach a settlement with Vic on her legal fees then I think that eliminates the possibility of an appeal.