• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
being independent is the biggest plus in my opinion.
Good job, you're independent from letting the EU pay for the infrastructure for your forgotten land.
So you believe that every one that voted leave is a racist and everyone that voted remain isn't? This is purely a race argument is it.
I know Brexit vote was just 3 years ago but we did see how the marketing for and against Brexit happened you know.
We weren't born yesterday and we have footage and a lot of articles and opinion pieces as well.
And no this not a race argument, I don't think anyone made a claim that white subjects did something or other.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
being independent is the biggest plus in my opinion.

UK is independent now, just like Germany, France etc. UK makes its own laws, sets its own taxes etc. Its just part of a bigger club for economic advantages.

Not one of England's new trade deals will be better than the EUs. Not one.

And I say England, as the UK will break apart. Inevitable now.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
I guess they want to be able to be in control of the own immigration rules rather than some chap in Brussels
you're being dogpiled which i feel bad about but again, our government has always had control over this -
'Non-EU migration
11. The largest source of non-British net migration is countries that are outside the European Union, a matter over which the government has always had jurisdiction.'*

* source: (https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/what-can-be-done) a pretty anti-immigration website

Oct 26, 2017
Obligatory:

C_UwAemXUAA2QPY.jpg
That's pretty good

Oct 25, 2017
Excuse my ignorance, but do pro-Brexit people really believe they will be able to negotiate independent trade deals with European countries that are more favorable than what they are getting now as a member of the EU? Is that even a possibility?

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wanting independence from the EU is not totally idiotic. No other countries have been given a chance for a referendum yet and the EU seems to be dam sure to make an example out of the UK for daring to want to be independent. If we had voted to remain it would have been for ever.

What specifically is the EU doing to the UK to make an example out of them?

It has negotiated a deal with Teresa May which has been rejected by the UKs parliament multiple times and pushed back the hard Brexit deadline multiple times.

It is the UKs collective choice to negotiate deals and fail to sign/ratify them.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Excuse my ignorance, but do pro-Brexit people really believe they will be able to negotiate independent trade deals with European countries that are more favorable than what they are getting now as a member of the EU?

You wait until you see how cheap chicken will get once the UK can import chlorinated US chicken. The UK is going to become a dumping ground for class D meat.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse my ignorance, but do pro-Brexit people really believe they will be able to negotiate independent trade deals with European countries that are more favorable than what they are getting now as a member of the EU? Is that even a possibility?
no

literally everything is going to get more complex outside the EU versus in it

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brexit on one side, USA isolationism on the other, China increasing their global influence, EU countries are realising that on the world stage they are their only allies, and that losing size means losing influence.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'll let you guess.
Trump couldn't make it with the might of the US behind it.
What chance does the UK have in this?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Negotiating within or with one economic bloc is easier than negotiating with 20 economic blocs. This is why tradezones exist and why the EU is a pretty good tradezone for people inside it and for its partners.

I'm not a super big fan of the EU or anything but the whole "we'll be fine on our own" is nationalistic nonsense.

It's like saying "why should we have nations, all our cities and villages are better off on their own". Historically, this hasn't been true. Very few city states have survived to the modern day, the nation-state is militarily stronger and economically stronger. Note that this doesn't mean I particularly like the concept of nation-states but I know the reasons why they exist and those reasons are good, in so far as you're interested in continued existence.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I guess they want to be able to be in control of the own immigration rules rather than some chap in Brussels
Are you aware of the fact that, within the EU, you always had the right to control immigration the way you want, that it is a core principle of the EU and shengen.
Brexit people are all about sovereignty, but really, Great Britain, like every- EU country, always had the right to stop free movement end strictly control its border, like every EU nation, no question asked ?
Are you aware of that ?
Is this the source of your ignorance, Did you think GB had no control on this and was "forced" in some way to follow some eu arbitrary rule ?
Because it never was the case, if GB wanted to close its borders and checks everything and everyone they could have done so every time they wanted and the EU would have no say in it !
Just check the EU agreement if you don"t believe me.
all of those agreements and treaties and negotiations are public by the way, because transparency and democracy, you know.
the EU is a LAW structure,for good and bad.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Are you aware of the fact that, within the EU,n you always had the right to control immigration the way you want, that is a core principle of the EU and shengen.
Brexit people are all about sovereignty, but really, Great Britain, like every- EU country, always had the right to stop free movement end strictly control its border, like every EU nation, no question asked ?
Are you aware of that ?
Is this the source of your ignorance, Did you think GB had no control on this and was "forced" in some way to follow some eu arbitrary rule ?
Because it never was the case, if GB wanted to close its borders and checks everything and everyone they could have done so every time they wanted and the EU would have no say in it ?
Just check the EU agreement if you don"t believe me.
Woah asking a Brexiter to deal in facts and not emotion?
Bold move.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
If, by some miracle, the UK leaves, then changes its mind later down the line, are there provisions in place for the UK to reapply to the EU in 50 or 100 years? If a few generations went by, the UK devolved into a 3rd world nation, and everyone saw what was happening the EU economically, but didn't even have the military to invade and take it the way would have in the Good Old Days?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If, by some miracle, the UK leaves, then changes its mind later down the line, are there provisions in place for the UK to reapply to the EU in 50 or 100 years? If a few generations went by, the UK devolved into a 3rd world nation, and everyone saw what was happening the EU economically, but didn't even have the military to invade and take it the way would have in the Good Old Days?
The next day the UK Brexit, it can reapply to the EU.
It'll be in a worse position than Turkey though.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Woah asking a Brexiter to deal in facts and not emotion?
Bold move.
i have faith in mankind, some of them are just ignorant, some of them can see the light, some of them can be saved.
i know , lost cause, but i have internet and a fuckton of free time so why not ?.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
i have faith in mankind, some of them are just ignorant, some of them can see the light, some of them can be saved.
i know , lost cause, but i have internet and a fuckton of free time so why not ?.
You are the better person for that and should be commended for it.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Are you aware of the fact that, within the EU, you always had the right to control immigration the way you want, that it is a core principle of the EU and shengen.

Well, that's not entirely true. Schengen is optional (and the UK opted out) but the free movement between member states is not.
What the UK could have done (and what other countries like Germany did) is limit migration of new member state citizens to the UK for a little while. But Tony Blair thought the cheap labour was neat so they didn't use the restrictions they could have used. So that's why so many Poles moved to the UK and what partially caused Brexit sympathies.
Another reason for Brexit was the hate towards muslims and people from India and Pakistan, which ofc had nothing to do with the EU but that didn't stop Farage & co.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
The next day the UK Brexit, it can reapply to the EU.
It'll be in a worse position than Turkey though.

Yeah, fair enough, I wouldn't expect it to happen in our lifetimes once the UK leaves. But if, after a few generations they have to choose between being a vassal state to the US, and maintain some independence with the EU, maybe those future UK citizens will look back on what their grandparents wrought and think to themselves, "So... why did we leave again?" after living in an economic hellscape their entire lives, and seeing the white picket fence and green lawns across the water.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, fair enough, I wouldn't expect it to happen in our lifetimes once the UK leaves. But if, after a few generations they have to choose between being a vassal state to the US, and maintain some independence with the EU, maybe those future UK citizens will look back on what their grandparents wrought and think to themselves, "So... why did we leave again?" after living in an economic hellscape their entire lives, and seeing the white picket fence and green lawns across the water.
The day after Brexit people actually wondered whatever the fuck they voted for....
So you know...

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
What did the EU ever do for us? Things are looking pretty good, we'll be able to make new trade deals now! We'll finally be able to get rid of the tyranny of the EU and fund the NHS instead. The Phillipines already commented they'd love a new better trade deal with us rather than the mean bullies in Europe.

Time to eat fam

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Racism is not in the bones, it's living and moving and spreading.
It's clearly in the blood.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people weren't racist though.
Bullshit. That's just an easy projection. And all your doing is cheapening the word racism.
isn't independence a good reason. I personally think the EU isn't needed and countries could arrange there own borders and trade.
Not for race reasons though, I don't have a racist bone in my body.
dbvVwJ4.gif

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not. I shouldn't have to put up with being accused as being a racist because I voted leave.
You got conned, man. I'm sorry to have to tell you that. The Tories played you gullible imbeciles like a fiddle.

In a post-Hard Brexit world the Tories and their friends, the Murdochs, etc. And the other rich evil fucks are gonna destroy your country.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Any way. I just thought I'd try and reasonably discuss why I voted leave. Call me an idiot if you want but I swear on my mother's grave it's not because if race.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Well, that's not entirely true. Schengen is optional (and the UK opted out) but the free movement between member states is not.
What the UK could have done (and what other countries like Germany did) is limit migration of new member state citizens to the UK for a little while.
Unless i'm reading the treaties wrong, that is entirely true, any eu country can stop free movement and take back full controls of its borders, for as long as it wants, because if they claim it"s for internal safety or economics motivations then it's fair game, and only the country can say it is important enough of not (sovereignty) , so, in practice, should a country decide to control everything and everyone, it is within the scope of the treaties and the EU would have no say in it, it the country says that is it an important matter, then the country is right, there is no recourse or way for the EU to force a country to stop doing it.
( a country doing so on a long time-scale would only harm itself, but hey, sovereignty ).