• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Full sympathies and condolences to the families of the other people who died in the crash.

But this is about the very serious accusations against and the disgusting reactions by those attacking and threatening the accusers. All those people saying this isn't the time to bring this up are deflecting from the issue at hand here, these accusations aren't going away and just because Kobe is dead that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be taken seriously.

Now that I've said this, I'm done with this thread, especially after seeing how the last thread to discuss this issue turned out.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I guess that if you don't want people to talk about the woman you raped when you die, the easiest solution really seems to be to not go around raping people.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Wasn't that statement he gave in which he admitted to the rape negotiated in order to get them to drop the case? Basically he'd get off for raping someone but would basically have to admit he raped her and then get to live with the stigma of that for the rest of his life. And it worked, because while many people seem willing to forget his heinous acts because he played ball well, many also aren't. It'll forever be a part of his legacy because he himself admitted to it.

Deleted member 42102

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Stuff like this always leaves me in a weird place. As a black man whose been raped by two previous girlfriends and whose been sexually harassed a lot by women since middle school I can kinda see both sides of the arguments.

For some it can definitely feel like they're performing a balancing act between black issues and feminism because sometimes the two do clash and many people seem to prioritize one over the other which can and usually does lead to people staying in their camps. Which is why you'll see a lot of black people who do NOT support rape in any capacity but will still react negatively to anyone criticizing Kobe because the well has long been poisoned. Especially when there's this whole "don't speak ill of the dead" mindset that permeates any topic trying to critically discuss the bad deeds of famous people.

And as a black man and a rape survivor these situations are just exhausting. Like a poster in here said earlier. These threads are definitely identical to the xxxtentacion threads around the time when he was murdered. It's just a shitty situation all around. Cus, like others have said there's never really gonna be a "right time" to discuss these things because people are always going to react poorly to these things.

So in short, good luck lol. While I am glad there's a seperate thread to discuss this stuff it does suck that most people are never really going to acknowledge or even engage with the subject matter at hand because some take it as a personal attack instead. I hope this whole kerfuffle doesn't prevent more people from coming out but I'm probably hoping against hope at that point.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Wasn't that statement he gave in which he admitted to the rape negotiated in order to get them to drop the case? Basically he'd get off for raping someone but would basically have to admit he raped her and then get to live with the stigma of that for the rest of his life. And it worked, because while many people seem willing to forget his heinous acts because he played ball well, many also aren't. It'll forever be a part of his legacy because he himself admitted to it.

We'll never know the full truth at this point. Sad to say.

ShortNasty

Dec 15, 2017

Quickly though, these stories began to collide. As the posthumous hagiography machine began to whirl, there were familiar conversations about respect, legacies, myth-making, and the "right time" to bring up sexual assault. Obituaries hinted at a "complicated" legacy or made oblique references to "Colorado." There were mentions of the rape case, maybe, in a quick and tidy paragraph. Anything more would have made the narrative incoherent. Uncomfortable. Distasteful.

I've read a lot of articles about the entire situation, and I can't move past it.

justjim89

Nov 16, 2017
Good to see there's a place to actually discuss this now. The week ban was actually kinda refreshing.

But it's weird how in this age of celebrities getting held accountable for their actions or at the very least get a lot of shit socially for it, certain people are immune. Kobe more or less admitted to the rape, if not in words than in actions. Mike Tyson is literally a convicted rapist and is still seen as this beloved pop culture figure. Even someone like Michael Jackson, though the truth is admittedly murkier on that one.