• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pretty interesting interview with the writer and others involved in the game.

They discuss the ad campaign, the current events surrounding the game, intent of the themes and other content such as the racial commentary. Too bad the video is so short.

Best quote:
Q: "You're kinda poking the hornets nest here"
A: "well maybe a little bit, but the hornets nest is full of Nazis so fuck those guys"

Punch me if old

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Best quote:
Q: "You're kinda poking the hornets nest here"
A: "well maybe a little bit, but the hornets nest is full of Nazis so fuck those guys"

Nick-Frost-Is-Off-The-Chain-In-Hot-Fuzz-Reaction-Gif.gif

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Good.
When I was playing Wolfenstein 3D and fighting mecha-Hitler back in the 90s I never would have thought that anything about that series could ever be controversial. Well, aside from having to shoot the dogs. I hope this game does well.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
I am literally physically and mentally incapable of understanding how killing Nazis in a video game makes people mad......I just can't

Ventara

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The quote in the OP is great. I'm already bogged down with games, especially Mario, AC and FE just this week, but I have half a mind to go out and buy this game. I planned to eventually, anyways.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I like Debra Wilson's comments at the end. With any work in the medium of creative arts (whether a book, a film, an album, and yes, a video game), it's not supposed to make you comfortable. You will think about the concepts, themes, and ideas expressed even after you've left. I'm glad Wolfenstein II is 'going there.' Hopefully the gameplay lives up to what it's trying to do.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Good.

If this game got your feelings hurt and you support the Nazi agenda/eugenics bullshit you should lock yourself in a dark room far far away from the society and spend a damn good time there learning and educating yourself on what being a human means.

And don't even start with that historic revisionism bullshit.

Oct 27, 2017
That was a great little video, feels like there was more to be said but the runtime is what it is. Would be nice to see someone like Danny O'Dwyer do a deep dive on the topic with noclip or something, because it is a game that feels incredibly 'of the moment'. Which is upsetting in and of itself

I'll be grabbing a copy once I'm done with Odyssey.

Blyr

Oct 27, 2017
"I think gameplay should make you uncomfortable"
"you don't learn from comfort levels"

Perfection. Also very happy to see that no one is shying away from the message the game is portraying, which is very clearly "Fuck Nazis".

AnchormanV2

Oct 27, 2017
The brilliance of their ad campain was just how blunt they were. They didnt try to dress it up or justify it. Kill Nazis. Thats it. They let all the politically sensitive types blow it up for them. Thats some GTA level marketing right there

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Debra Wilson was awesome, I remember her from MADtv. It's great that everyone in the video were just real with it. At the end of the day, it's more than "PR"

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think much of Bethesda's dlc practices and paid mods, but I have a great deal of respect for anyone who says "You know what? Fuck those guys." I was going to wait on Wolfenstein 2, but they get my $60 up front for not backing down.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I like Debra Wilson's comments at the end. With any work in the medium of creative arts (whether a book, a film, an album, and yes, a video game), it's not supposed to make you comfortable. You will think about the concepts, themes, and ideas expressed even after you've left. I'm glad Wolfenstein II is 'going there.' Hopefully the gameplay lives up to what it's trying to do.

Agreed, the ending segment was great.

Again it's too bad they didn't get more time with these people.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even like FPS anymore.

But... I kind of want this game. I just want to support it.

It shouldn't be controversial to want to digitally kill Nazi's in 2017.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know I was going to wait for a sale but fuck it if this is legitimately pissing off the Alt Right I am paying full price to fucking day and just watching Wolf 1 cutscenes on YouTube

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bought this game cause I loved TNO. All of this news just makes me happier with my purchase. Good on Bethesda for doubling down on the marketing.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I was going to wait until I beat the first one but after watching this I have to pick up the game now.

Really dig the marketing behind this.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
"I think gameplay should make you uncomfortable. I absolutely believe that. Why? Because you don't learn from comfort levels. If you're comfortable in first grade, you can stay there, but that's not going to allow you to move forward."

This I agree. I love the mindless fun that video games can bring, but the stories that challenge me to think and re-consider stay with me a great deal longer.

I'm not breaking any ground by expressing my bafflement at how a game about killing Nazis has met resistance from Nazi-sympathizers and the like, but I am eternally thankful that Machine Games and Bethesda aren't afraid to double-down on their anti-Nazi stance.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i like how the game is making some commentary about America itself which i guess would make the right wing mad. White people like BJ are just here to kill german nazis who are "oppressing America". But the people he's allied with are apart of the civil rights movement, and have recognized that America itself has oppressed minorities far longer than the Nazi's ever did America or Germany for that matter, which is part of the reason why elements like the KKK are so prosperous under a Nazi regime.

Even just recognizing that basic simple fact is going to get some people super salty

enty

Oct 27, 2017
The brilliance of their ad campain was just how blunt they were. They didnt try to dress it up or justify it. Kill Nazis. Thats it. They let all the politically sensitive types blow it up for them. Thats some GTA level marketing right there
Seriously. It's got to be one of the best marketing campaigns out of all media in general. It never died down. Just got more and more blunt.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine that once you reach the point where you're offended by Nazi/KKKkilling in a Wolfenstein game it gets really hard to not realize you've become a piece of shit.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
That last part with Debra Wilson was legitimately amazing.
The messaging around this game has been so good. I'm not a big fan of shooters and neither are a lot of my friends, but we are all excited to play this game. Its really resonating with people right now.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Call them Nazis, not Alt Right. That's what they are and they're mad you're killing them.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There should also be a campaign to donate copies of this game to Richard Spencer.

Status
Not open for further replies.