• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the topic of the thread is to talk about alt-right reactions to the game. He decided to throw himself into the category of people reacting badly.

Anecdotally, I heard some complaints that the original was too cartoonish and over the top in its portrayal of how evil Nazis were. Now, some of the same people are upset that the new one is too close to reality and they want things to be fake again.

well there's always call of duty for those wanting something less close to reality

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
It just baffles me how people can get upset over this. My friend once told me that we should make an Island, and put all the dumb people in the world on that island. and they can live out their lives there...It seems like a better idea by the passing day.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
All I can say is that, yesterday, I paid a visit to the Buchenwald concentration camp memorial and it was difficult to go through. You read about all this for years but standing there on site and being presented with the information without a filter really highlights just HOW bad it was. Anyone that defends anything Nazi related needs to experience this for themselves. I'd like to think a lot of this ignorance stems from poor education but if you can visit a place like that and walk away thinking Nazis "aren't bad", well, you've got a serious problem.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Any game where I can brutally murder Nazi's starts out at a 10/10. It's why I absolutely loved the Wolfenstein that came out a few years ago. Fuck those Nazi scum.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
It just baffles me how people can get upset over this.

Sadly, it really doesn't surprise me. Look who's in the White House, look at the emergence of far right ideologies.

My friend once told me that we should make an Island, and put all the dumb people in the world on that island. and they can live out their lives there...It seems like a better idea by the passing day.

That's how you get a physical manifestation of 4Chan.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a damn shame that they game doesn't look all that good.

Also, can somebody explain this to me.

The Nazis literally stunted technological and economic growth by killing tonnes of smart people and forcing them to leave. Yet here we are in a world with the Nazi super science myth. The Nazis were extremely sexist but yet the main villain is a female Nazi general.

This game should be getting people angry.
I'm not sure it's worth to engage this game on that level since the story is silly as fuck, but for what it's worth, those games don't actually push the Nazi super science myth, in fact -
In this game world, they Nazis stole their super science from an ancient cabal of benevolent Jewish super-scientists that all sound like my uncle.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
The funny part is, Bethesda didnt say or do anything until the real Nazis got upset. They brought the politics, so Bethesda responded, and they hate that they said "F*** you!", rather than bowed down.

Killing Nazis shouldn't be political, but here we are. If I had enough money, I'd pick this game up, now, at full price.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
The vast majority of the alt-right have nothing and want nothing to do with Nazism, which is where this controversy comes from. They perceive they are being branded as Nazis by Bethesda's marketing, and they seem to have a case.

The alt-right, the very name, is a cover for white supremacists and neo-nazis. Anyone who considers themselves alt-right either shares Nazi values or is too ignorant to partake in a discussion such as this. Pick one.

Let's drop the "alt-right" label, since it's a vague descriptor that can be interpreted in many different ways. So to rephrase my point, the controversy comes from gamers who support Trump being upset that Bethesda's marketing for the game insinuates that Trump supporters are Nazis.

Trump himself is a supporter of Nazis. I see no problem with any such insinuation, and the only out for a Trump supporter is, again, ignorance. Or gullibility. Or stupidity. Choose.

kegkilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The alt-right, the very name, is a cover for white supremacists and neo-nazis. Anyone who considers themselves alt-right either shares Nazi values or is too ignorant to partake in a discussion such as this. Pick one.
Anybody who self-identifies as "alt-right" likely shares the values of the originator of the term. However, the term "alt-right" has come to be used almost synonymously with "Trump supporter" of which very few have or want anything to do with Nazi values.
Trump himself is a supporter of Nazis. I see no problem with any such insinuation, and the only out for a Trump supporter is, again, ignorance. Or gullibility. Or stupidity. Choose.
No he isn't. Please be intellectually honest with yourself.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah this is pretty blatant. They love being angry bigoted pricks, they revel in it and liberal tears or whatever stupid slur they're using at the moment. The Alt Right is just their cover to try and legitimize their ugliness for the general public. They just don't want to be called Nazis because there is no real way to sugar coat that title for the masses.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The vast majority of the alt-right have nothing and want nothing to do with Nazism, which is where this controversy comes from. They perceive they are being branded as Nazis by Bethesda's marketing, and they seem to have a case.
I'm pretty sure that's why it's called...alt...right. alt is short for alternative. Or am I wrong here?

So there's an alt right alt right?

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If someone can in good faith support Trump still after everything he has done then yes you are a garbage person. It took the man days to denounce nazis publicly. Which even when he did it was a pretty flaccid response.

I'm not going to disagree with you but I am going to say that judging people so strongly simply because of their association with a political party isn't a good thing to do.

Sure, someone being a "Trump voter" carries certain connotations which is fair, but jumping to full on alt right or nazi or saying they are totally worthless isn't fair either. Maybe that's the case but it should take more than just their political party to determine that.

Judging someone is a complex thing and jumping to conclusions about people is never a good thing to do.

Please understand I don't want to defend anyone who actually holds hateful beliefs, I just think that if you're going to expand the definition of Nazi to everyone who voted for trump, you're going to also need to redefine the violence that can be used against them unless you're up for another civil war and think half the country should be killed.

On topic I'd like to see some screen caps of the hateful people who are actually upset about this game. Time was Nazis were the universal villain that anyone could enjoy turning into a fine red paste with microwave radiation.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody who self-identifies as "alt-right" likely shares the values of the originator of the term. However, the term "alt-right" has come to be used almost synonymously with "Trump supporter" of which very few have or want anything to do with Nazi values.

No he isn't. Please be intellectually honest with yourself.

Appointed Bannon. Appointed Sessions. Dragged his feet about denouncing white supremacists in Charlottesville for days. Gave a half-hearted, forced speech. Then "fine people".

Nazis view his inaction, his comments, and his inability to denounce as support.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yeah this is pretty blatant. They love being angry bigoted pricks, they revel in it and liberal tears or whatever stupid slur they're using at the moment. The Alt Right is just their cover to try and legitimize their ugliness for the general public. They just don't want to be called Nazis because there is no real way to sugar coat that title for the masses.

The term alt right used to be a catch-all for non-neocon right wingers.

Now it's just a confusing muddled term.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you're asking here.

The Alt Right was established as a term to cover the most extreme members of the right not satisfied with the so called pussy footing of the GOP on all these hot button issues like white genocide and all that trash. They're a white nationalist cess pool and any associating with them means you are to. You can't wipe that stain off just because you say you want to.

The term alt right used to be a catch-all for non-neocon right wingers.

Now it's just a confusing muddled term.

No its not. Its very obvious what the term means and people trying to say otherwise are lying to themselves and everyone else. You don't get to join the KKK and say you're not racist because you don't wear a hood and robes or burn crosses in black families yards.

Oct 25, 2017
On topic I'd like to see some screen caps of the hateful people who are actually upset about this game. Time was Nazis were the universal villain that anyone could enjoy turning into a fine red paste with microwave radiation.
Is this enough or nah?
Dzn1H.JPG

G7YGF.JPG

TJIPE.JPG

uT97A.JPG

QhkmY.JPG

dft3R.JPG

Apparently everything about Wolfenstein II is a jewish communist propaganda trying to destroy America, and nazis weren't as bad as them. Also black people are bad.

APF

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
"Alt-right" are white nationalists who are against mainstream "establishment" conservatives, & whose leading figures both inside and outside of the White House's primary political views are either transparent white supremacy or Western cultural supremacy that "happens" to be white.

Last edited:

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The user was warned for this post.
I just want to be clear. Anyone who truly identifies as a Nazi and agrees with all that means should be arrested for being an enemy of mankind as a whole.

But my guess is 99% of the people spewing this garbage in public would turn into a blubbering baby and apologize and say they don't believe in it when truly threatened with the appropriate response to their hatred.

Edit: apologies for the heated language.

Last edited:

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legitimate question. Could the people who lived and stayed in Germany and supported the increasingly violent and oppressive agenda but didn't actually participate themselves outside of going to rallies and supporting politicians be called Nazis?

If so, then so can Trump supporters, imo.

And honestly, even if I am off base, I don't really care what Trump supporters think lol. If you support Trump you already made it clear you have no interest in respecting others, so why should you be deserving of respect?

I'll never stop calling them Nazis.

goodsines

Oct 28, 2017
Colorado
I agree wholeheartedly with Debra Wilson's point at the end of the video. However, it'd be disturbing to me that someone would feel some kind of discomfort to learn a simple "Nazi's are bad" message the game is imparting to the player. It's a disgusting shame that a segment of the population is offended by viewpoints/facts that people should hold as a truism (which is Nazism is fucked up, period.)

What exactly is the argument people on the alt-right are making against this game other than "Bethesda is full of SJWs!" ? I mean, not that it's of much importance or that their points would be valid, but I'm just curious...

Virtua

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this enough or nah?
Dzn1H.JPG

G7YGF.JPG

TJIPE.JPG

uT97A.JPG

QhkmY.JPG

dft3R.JPG

Apparently everything about Wolfenstein II is a jewish communist propaganda trying to destroy America, and nazis weren't as bad as them. Also black people are bad.
Is this enough or nah?
Dzn1H.JPG

G7YGF.JPG

TJIPE.JPG

uT97A.JPG

QhkmY.JPG

dft3R.JPG

I wasn't doubting I was asking for a serving of delicious salt sir.

"God will respect your balls or else he'll laugh at you" is the most bizzare thing to say. Do they have 6th grade comprehensive skills?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to disagree with you but I am going to say that judging people so strongly simply because of their association with a political party isn't a good thing to do.

Sure, someone being a "Trump voter" carries certain connotations which is fair, but jumping to full on alt right or nazi or saying they are totally worthless isn't fair either. Maybe that's the case but it should take more than just their political party to determine that.

Judging someone is a complex thing and jumping to conclusions about people is never a good thing to do.

Please understand I don't want to defend anyone who actually holds hateful beliefs, I just think that if you're going to expand the definition of Nazi to everyone who voted for trump, you're going to also need to redefine the violence that can be used against them unless you're up for another civil war and think half the country should be killed.

As I said earlier. I can see people wanting to vote for Trump. There are a lot of reasons that people had for voting for Trump. And you could really jump in the mire here and dissect things like how Hillary abandoning many states and never campaigning there left a lot of people including independents feeling abandoned among other things like economic hardships and just generally being fed up with how slow and often ineffective Washington is at getting anything done.

Here is the thing though. Having voted for Trump hoping for good things is one thing continuing to openly support Trump after he tried to instate numerous travel bans for muslims. Banning transgender military service members. Actively working to gut the Affordable Care Act and just ignorantly taking the opposite stance on anything Obama approved of (i.e. The Paris agreement) is just willingly ignorant at best. You can't say you support trump without also approving of the rhetoric he brings along with him. Plenty of Republicans are coming out and denouncing trump openly you can still be a conservative and speak up and denounce trump and all of his spineless cronies. Its up to people that voted to him to realize the man lied to them and speak out.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
How was TNO received? It is kind of telling that a well-beloved franchise for 30+ years is picking up hate for something it has always done, with the newest iteration TNC. I feel like I'm living in a completely different universe than I did 4-5 years ago.

Wish I could play the game myself right now, but I might just download TNO and play it since I never got around to it.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I was going to wait to buy this game but F it. Ill get it now. I had a $10 rebate from Best Buy so I got it for $41 total.

Love that they are going full steam ahead with the marketing campaign.

Watching a college football game this morning and they had a commercial for it

#NoMoreNazis. Perfect.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a game where they kill nazi's -- the kind that wears swastikas -- pisses you off, you might be an asshole.

Fuck all of them. And I agree with the sentiment: stop calling them the Alt-Right. Call them what they are: Neo Nazi's, assholes, scum of the earth.

OP
OP
CannonFodder52
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
https://www.resetera.com/threads/anyone-here-vote-for-trump.1999/

Gets heated in places for obvious reasons but most of it is trying to understand and it was locked due to running it's course. Which considering the subject matter is pretty unique.

Hey, thanks for the link.

That was a weird read, although I'm glad people were able to be respectful in the debate.

Anyways, I can't wait to get into this game. But sadly I can't start any thing with the papers I gotta get through at the moment.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the entire video. I don't see any examples of people protesting killing Nazis or the game itself. It's all just about the marketing team utilizing the current political environment (and what some might see as a serious problem of white supremacy) to try to sell more copies. I thought the giant beast cast did a good job explaining the issue and how it felt slightly exploitative. Anyone who is against he game because you kill Nazis is a moron, but I don't really see that argument in the wild. I think the title of this video implies this, but then the actual content of the video is on the marketing.

tamago

Oct 27, 2017
Dallas, TX
As much as i wanted this to be fun, im getting to old for fast paced, realistic fps. The only thing i can attach to are strategy and dota 2..

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Plenty of Republicans are coming out and denouncing trump openly you can still be a conservative and speak up and denounce trump and all of his spineless cronies. Its up to people that voted to him to realize the man lied to them and speak out.
Let's be frank here; Trump has made it so fucking easy for people to denounce him that it's probably one of the most matter-of-fact stances one could take alongside "Humans need air to breathe." There are plenty of Republicans who only now denounce Trump (despite an insanely long lead-up of horrific statements or exposés) that make it damn clear many of them are simply saving their own asses rather than having any actual moral objection towards him or the stances the party has made in his name.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Please link undeniable proof of recent Nazi killings? I know a woman was tragically killed in Charlottesville but I have seen no forensic proof she was actually run over by the driver. In fact that I have seen reports she was trampled by the crowd and her own mother in a televised interview said it was a heart attack. I have also not seen charges against the driver yet. Let's be actually be honest in our discussions and rely on facts here please? It lessens your argument when you fail to source your facts. I'm being serious. Please, show me this real Nazi threat. Amd for the record I don't consider a basement dweller troll a real Nazi. Lots of "Nazis" out there with bed times and homework to finish.
Hoo boy, only a few days of this new forum and a vetted user gets banned for spouting Nazi conspiracy theories and downplaying Nazis.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be frank here; Trump has made it so fucking easy for people to denounce him that it's probably one of the most matter-of-fact stances one could take alongside "Humans need air to breathe." There are plenty of Republicans who only now denounce Trump (despite an insanely long lead-up of horrific statements or exposés) that make it damn clear many of them are simply saving their own ass rather than having any actual moral objectification towards him or the stances the party has made in his name.

Oh, I don't disagree there. The GOP has a lot of problems in their own right removed from Trump and as you said he's lowered the bar so much that being anti-Trump at this point shouldn't really be much of a thought process.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"But guys, wouldn't it be nice if we took some of my views, some of your views and met in the middle. Because the middle is a nice place to be"

But nah. Fuck the alt-right. Fuck nazis. It's a great game regardless of current events, but it propels it that little further for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, do we need to chip in to get these crying nazis some diapers and bib? For the 'superior' race they sure do whine a lot about things. I have no pity for people who wish to see those of my ethnicity banished from this country.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This might be out of line, but it's making me really unnerved that the person who was really insist on using income - the stat that's really popular for the bootstraps and model minority narrative - as the only measure of whether white Christians are the most powerful demographic in America, and who posted in this very thread a video by someone who believes Zionists are oppressing whites and that schools aren't telling us the real truth about Hitler, is now really worried about Trump supporters being equated with Nazis (or "very fine people" as he might call them).

At any rate, even back during the election Trump was noted for his suspicious slowness and inconsistency when responding to white supremacy, and his xenophobic platform is a big part of what convinced these folk that it's their time. He may or may not be a Nazi supporter, but his appeal is along the same lines, he knows he has that support, and he has no problem with that.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Western cultural supremacy that "happens" to be white.

It's not really accurate to paint the belief in the west's cultural superiority as white supremacy. Western ideas of democracy, pluralism and even capitalism have done places like Hong Kong and Japan really good.

Of course, I guess that depends on what you mean by western culture in the first place.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Alt-right was coined by Richard Spencer, this dude.
tumblr_oh1fse3ZQL1u4vvmko1_500.gif

richardspencerpunch.gif

The whole campaign of alt-right/white nationalists/Nazis is to make white supremacy a more palatable course (without the historical baggage of Nazis/white nationalists) and fashionable to the general public so that centrists and conservatives can join in. Do some reading about the alt-right.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said earlier. I can see people wanting to vote for Trump. There are a lot of reasons that people had for voting for Trump. And you could really jump in the mire here and dissect things like how Hillary abandoning many states and never campaigning there left a lot of people including independents feeling abandoned among other things like economic hardships and just generally being fed up with how slow and often ineffective Washington is at getting anything done.

Here is the thing though. Having voted for Trump hoping for good things is one thing continuing to openly support Trump after he tried to instate numerous travel bans for muslims. Banning transgender military service members. Actively working to gut the Affordable Care Act and just ignorantly taking the opposite stance on anything Obama approved of (i.e. The Paris agreement) is just willingly ignorant at best. You can't say you support trump without also approving of the rhetoric he brings along with him. Plenty of Republicans are coming out and denouncing trump openly you can still be a conservative and speak up and denounce trump and all of his spineless cronies. Its up to people that voted to him to realize the man lied to them and speak out.

Yep Corker, McCain and Flake should be commended but I'm sure some folks would drag up their records and paint them as Nazis anyway which is self defeating: it makes "reasonable" republicans (who could probably be convinced not to vote Trump next time) want nothing to do with progressives and mistakenly think that we're to the left of Trotsky. Fuck nazis and the Alt Right not people right of center or even a turd like Ted Cruz.

Status
Not open for further replies.