• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Update (October 4th, 2022)

View: https://twitter.com/darksideofring/status/1577313540175716352?s=21

FeRRO-RXoAAA4Op

First episode has been uploaded on YouTube:

View: https://youtu.be/zQqWMYuwQ2s

———————————————————————————-

913Uw2KeYmL._RI_.jpg

Update (9/10/2021)

Web-capture_6-9-2021_201625_www.instagram.com_.jpeg

Web-capture_6-9-2021_201658_www.instagram.com_.jpeg

Update (4/19/2021)

——————————————————

Wrestling fans will be able to relive some of the most infamous moments and learn untold secrets with Viceland's new docu-series, "Dark Side of the Ring."

The six-episode series, which premieres April 10th at 9 p.m. ET., will dive into the biggest controversies from in and out of the ring involving professional wrestling's most notorious superstars.

"Dark Side of the Ring" will examine the tragic love story between "Macho Man" Randy Savage and his former manager and wrestler Miss Elizabeth, plus the dark history of the multigenerational Von Erich wrestling family, victims of the so-called "Von Erich curse." The show will also explore the unscripted Montreal Screwjob that stripped Bret Hart of his title, the unexplained locker room fight that led to the death of Bruiser Brody, the mistaken homicide and later-ruled drug overdose of "Gorgeous" Gino Hernandez, and the sexual misconduct and industry manipulation allegations against female star The Fabulous Moolah.

Each episode will focus on one story from the golden age of professional wrestling, and the former wrestler Dutch Mantell will provide narration.

Jason Eisener ("Hobo with a Shotgun") directed, Evan Husney and Ed Hatton produced and Viceland's Chris Grosso executive produced the series.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/viceland-dark-side-of-the-ring-wrestling-docuseries-1203175422/

The Viceland documentaries on pro wrestling will be airing every Wednesday from 4/10 to 5/15 at 9 p.m. ET. The schedule is:
  • 4/10: Randy Savage & Elizabeth
  • 4/17: Bret Hart and Montreal
  • 4/24: Bruiser Brody
  • 5/1: Kevin Von Erich and the Von Erich family
  • 5/8: Gino Hernandez
  • 5/15: Fabulous Moolah

Edit:

Viceland has released the full Bruiser Brody episode:

Last edited:

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap I just looked up
  • 5/15: Fabulous Moolah
as I definitely remember that name from old WWF days, what a HORRIBLE person. She was like a pimp for other female wrestlers...

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
In for Macho & Bret. Probably will skip Von Erichs, Bruiser, and Moolah, too depressing for me to put myself through that. The Von Erichs are just such a sad story, I can't do it, especially because from the trailer it looks like extended interviews with the one Von Erich brother still living.

Oh shit, just saw Bruce Pritchard in the trailer looks like he might have a big role. Wonder what WWE thinks of that now that he's just signed back up.

Bruce, Zeb, Cornette... It's like the Conrad the wrestling guy power hour.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am in.

I could listen to Jim Cornette talk about wrestling all day.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
If you want a pretty good mini documentary series free on YouTube already, look up behind the titantron. They are really good and have touched on all these topics and much more.

Edit:

Bangai O

Oct 28, 2017
I will definitely be watching this. I wonder if there will be anything new regarding the Von Erichs that The Lapsed Fan hasn't covered.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not that interested in Bret Hart and Montreal. It's been done to death but every other story seems super interesting. cant wait

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That shot with actors of the Von Erichs boys in the front while Fritz does the claw gesture in the back is chill inducing

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Cant imagine they can add anything to Montreal at this point though.

There's really no topping Wrestling with Shadows, so yeah. Should have done a Benoit doc instead, though maybe not enough time has passed yet for that one. Maybe there will never be enough time passed for that one.

The Von Erichs, Brody and Gino Hernandez ones, though...

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Cant imagine they can add anything to Montreal at this point though.
It makes sense when consider this series isn't necessarily aimed at wrestling fans. As fans we know pretty much every little detail about the subject, but for the uninformed the Montreal Screwjob is a pretty wild situation. Even for wrestling fans it was.

Still I agree with you, I can't imagine the episode will have anything we haven't learned already.

Last edited:

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad someone's finally doing a doc on Brody's murder, so many people need to know the truth behind that story.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if the Hart stuff will cover anything that hasn't already been talked about in Hart's biography

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, just saw Bruce Pritchard in the trailer looks like he might have a big role. Wonder what WWE thinks of that now that he's just signed back up.

He probably told vince, cause Roddy Piper did a documentary before being back with WWE, where he shat all over the business. Yet he did not tell vince, he was pissed. That's a story I heard on the Piper episode of Something to wrestle.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
There's really no topping Wrestling with Shadows, so yeah. Should have done a Benoit doc instead, though maybe not enough time has passed yet for that one. Maybe there will never be enough time passed for that one.

The Von Erichs, Brody and Gino Hernandez ones, though...

Yeah... I also think that maybe not enough people would be willing to talk about that. Like, almost anyone will talk about the Von Erichs, Montreal, many will talk about Bruiser, and people are starting to really talk about Moolah, but ... I still think there's people hesitant to talk about Benoit. I could be wrong, but I think all the top podcast guys sort of avoid talking about the Benoit incident. They talk about his career, the Radicalz, how great he was in the ring, etc., but few seem to really want to go into his murder suicide. It might just be too dark for a lot of them.

I wonder how far back the Randy doc will go, like him being blackballed from wrestling because he worked for his dad's promotion, or whether they'd go into his rumored sexual activity with Stephanie which led to him leaving WWF. Probably not, both of those are probably too inside baseball for a mainstream audience?

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
The Randy Savage & Elizabeth documentary is going to be depressing, isn't it? They were by all accounts good to each other but burned out.

And the Moolah doc... Yikes.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... I also think that maybe not enough people would be willing to talk about that. Like, almost anyone will talk about the Von Erichs, Montreal, many will talk about Bruiser, and people are starting to really talk about Moolah, but ... I still think there's people hesitant to talk about Benoit. I could be wrong, but I think all the top podcast guys sort of avoid talking about the Benoit incident. They talk about his career, the Radicalz, how great he was in the ring, etc., but few seem to really want to go into his murder suicide. It might just be too dark for a lot of them.

I wonder how far back the Randy doc will go, like him being blackballed from wrestling because he worked for his dad's promotion, or whether they'd go into his rumored sexual activity with Stephanie which led to him leaving WWF. Probably not, both of those are probably too inside baseball for a mainstream audience?

Jericho did a few podcasts on the incident:

But yeah it's still an extremely sensitive subject. No one has been straight up erased from history like Benoit, and all of these documentaries Vice will be doing are going to get extremely dark with all of the death and murder. Fritz straight up look at his kids as an assembly line: oh my son died? oh well life goes on next one gets the belt. oh he died? oh well life goes on next one gets the belt. rinse and repeat.

for now, and for a long time there may only be one truly exhaustive look at the benoit tragedy and it's right here:

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Vice, when the hell are you going to finally air the Damian Abraham wrestling show where he travels the world ala Bourdain to examine the sport?

It's already wrapped — just air it!

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
We will see a Hollywood biopic based on the Montreal Screwjob.

It happened during the biggest point in wrestling history, so many kids grew up on it.

Some Hollywood producer who watched wrestling will attempt it

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It makes sense when consider this series isn't necessarily aimed at wrestling fans. As fans we know pretty much every little detail about the subject, but for the uninformed the Montreal Screwjob is a pretty wild situation. Even for wrestling fans it was.

Still I agree with you, I can't imagine the episode will have anything we haven't learned already.

Couldn't Bret have just agreed to lose to Austin at Survivor Series? I know he says that he didn't want to lose in his home country, but that's such a petty reason, given that most WWE champions in past were from the U.S. and lost in the U.S.. I really think this had more to do with Bret's personal acrimony with Shawn Michaels than anything else.

And to the WWE's standpoint, couldn't they have just scripted him to lose to Austin or the Undertaker to avoid this drama in the first place? They could have gotten the belt off of Bret who was leaving for WCW with none of the bullshit that later played out, and Bret could have bowed out on his own terms.

The irony of the whole situation was that Shawn got the story book ending to his career that Bret would have killed for, almost something akin to his Summerslam match with Davey Boy Smith in 1992, with all the goodwill, drama, and heartbreak that went into that match.

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't Bret have just agreed to lose to Austin at Survivor Series? I know he says that he didn't want to lose in his home country, but that's such a petty reason, given that most WWE champions in past were from the U.S. and lost in the U.S.. I really think this had more to do with Bret's personal acrimony with Shawn Michaels than anything else.

And to the WWE's standpoint, couldn't they have just scripted him to lose to Austin or the Undertaker to avoid this drama in the first place? They could have gotten the belt off of Bret who was leaving for WCW with none of the bullshit that later played out, and Bret could have bowed out on his own terms.

The irony of the whole situation was that Shawn got the story book ending to his career that Bret would have killed for, almost something akin to his Summerslam match with Davey Boy Smith in 1992, with all the goodwill, drama, and heartbreak that went into that match.
Bret didn't want to lose in Canada because he felt it would've hurt him, and I agree with him. Bret was, and still is, probably the most over wrestler in Canada. Him losing clean, in Canada, in his last match, would've hurt him because he never would've gotten that win back. He was on the way out the door already. He wanted to lose it, he probably even would've dropped it to Shawn, just at another time. I think Austin wasn't their first choice because they already had the idea of him winning at Mania as his big moment.

For those who haven't seen it, Wrestling With Shadows is required viewing if you want to learn about the Screwjob.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bret didn't want to lose in Canada because he felt it would've hurt him, and I agree with him. Bret was, and still is, probably the most over wrestler in Canada. Him losing clean, in Canada, in his last match, would've hurt him because he never would've gotten that win back. He was on the way out the door already. He wanted to lose it, he probably even would've dropped it to Shawn, just at another time. I think Austin wasn't their first choice because they already had the idea of him winning at Mania as his big moment.

For those who haven't seen it, Wrestling With Shadows is required viewing if you want to learn about the Screwjob.

It was more to the fact that shawn was doing A TON of anti-Canada promos and skits (Including lude things with the Canada flag) to where Canadian wrestling fans were legit pissed at shawn and Bret felt it would be better for him to beat shawn in Canada to get a resolution to the story than to lose to shawn. Bret was fine with losing to shawn, but not in Canada after all shawn said about canada and done. He was even willing to appear on raw the next day while out of contract to lose to shawn.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Went to a live show of Last Podcast on the Left last week and they did a segment on Bruiser.

No Snuka?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Shawn had crazy heat. Beating Bret for the title in Canada served to amplify that. I get Bret's stance, but you see the departing champion, you drop the strap where you are told and go out on your back

Dec 29, 2017
We will see a Hollywood biopic based on the Montreal Screwjob.

It happened during the biggest point in wrestling history, so many kids grew up on it.

Some Hollywood producer who watched wrestling will attempt it

I'm surprised Hollywood hasn't done a movie on the Attitude Era. The Attitude Era could be considered a fluke. Look at all the things that had to happen to launch it.

1. The Curtain Call: Hall and Nash depart. HHH doesn't get his push as punishment. It goes to Austin who takes what would have been HHH's King of the Ring win and turns it into Austin 3:16. Stone Cold takes off.

2. Montreal Screwjob: Eric Bishoff tells Bret Hart he won't announce that he signed the WWF champion on Nitro. Bret tells Vince but because Vince McMahon doesn't trust Eric Bishoff, he pulls a screw job on Bret Hart to take the title off of him. Vince goes from commentator to heel. Thus the Mr. McMahon character is born.

3. Shawn Michaels retirement: Shawn gets injured and is forced to retire which saves his life. With the headache that is Shawn Michaels out of the way, Stone Cold Steve Austin rises to super stardom.

4. Austin vs. McMahon: Attitude Era starts. A wrestler vs a non wrestler storyline somehow works. It becomes the biggest and most popular angle in WWF/WWE history. So much so that WWE stills does the evil authority figure angle to this day 23 years later.

I'd watch that movie.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Damn, this hits hard, even though this was YEARS ago his speech for Canada being greater that US still hits home @ 48:30 mark. This was when he was turning "bad" but came back to Canada and was happy he was still considered a "hero" in Canada. This was at the time Stone Cold and the "bad-ass" trope starting becoming cool/fan favorites

To finish his "bad" character he trounces US by saying Canada is better than US because:
1) Canada Healthcare for all
2) Racial prejudice
3) Shootings every day

These still hit home...

Just seeing US fans people scream "US IS THE BEST SCREW CANADA YAAA" is just terrible. Then you see the Canada fan say "hey that's not right thing to say, Bret has did so much entertainment for you guys!"

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

THANK YOU FOR STILL LETTING ME BE YOUR HERO

easily one of the best promos ever as a young canadian fan watching

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this hits hard, even though this was YEARS ago his speech for Canada being greater that US still hits home @ 48:30 mark. This was when he was turning "bad" but came back to Canada and was happy he was still considered a "hero" in Canada. This was at the time Stone Cold and the "bad-ass" trope starting becoming cool/fan favorites

To finish his "bad" character he trounces US by saying Canada is better than US because:
1) Canada Healthcare for all
2) Racial prejudice
3) Shootings every day

These still hit home...

Just seeing US fans people scream "US IS THE BEST SCREW CANADA YAAA" is just terrible. Then you see the Canada fan say "hey that's not right thing to say, Bret has did so much entertainment for you guys!"
It's crazy/scary how relevant that storyline is today.

The best heels are always the ones who are right too. Like D Brine. Or Jericho in a suit.

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
From this week's Observer:

Viceland has already shot four more documentaries about wrestling, including Chris Benoit and Dino Bravo, with the idea they will air them in a second season depending on how the ratings are for the first six.