• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2019

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/529340/Victoria_3/

ss_d6c4af0150eee39e868201386238c20cc880d464.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/wDPdWMTCFcM

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Victoria 2 was probably the most interesting game Paradox ever made and is a cult classic for a reason. Because it has a super hardcore fanbase around it, there has been a lot of unreasonably criticism of Victoria 3's design even pre-release.

I really hope the game turns out well. It is doing some cool stuff especially with de-emphasizing warfare even more heavily than Victoria 2. Which is something I think is a great idea in principle considering the themes of the game but the jury is still out as to whether they'll succeed.

One thing I am actually not crazy about is that they have increased the number of "ticks" in the game by splitting up individual days. I always liked that Victoria was quite short for a Paradox game because I think it allows for more varied gameplay. Also, it was basically the only Paradox Grand Strategy title more than a small percentage of people regularly played all the way through for a reason.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Looking forward to this!

I also hope they'll someday implement an official way to transfer save games from Rome Imperator all the way up to a potential Hearts of Iron V. The game would grow incredibly unbalanced but trying to keep together a giant empire for a thousand years also has its difficulties.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Kingdom of Italia here we come!

Also excited to play the United Tribes, and form True Zealand

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On the border between buying the Grand Edition and just going Game Pass for the moment. I expect I'll enjoy it, because I love the idea of a non-military nation simulator and the 19th century is easily my favorite era of history... but I've been following the Dev Diaries and the economic stuff just makes my eyes glaze over. Like, GMG will probably have 20% off, and I usually buy at least the first round of DLC for a fresh game like that. I dunno, depends a lot on how impactful the American Buildings Pack is.

But still, I'm excited. Lots of stories I'd like to try playing out - Mexico as a major power, slave revolt in the US, Meiji Restoration stuff.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping the tutorialization is as strong as CKIII. That game was the first time I was able to get deeply into a Paradox game. In theory, this era should be even more of a draw for me.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Time to make HREmany for the dozenth time.

Well, assuming it's still possible in 3's mechanics.

AleeN634

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice, big fan of Hearts of Iron 4 and Crusader Kings 3 so can't to play Victoria 3.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
I'm potentially very interested in this. I too hope it has a great tutorial, because it seems like a game you could bounce off very hard if you can't figure it out. But the premise is very cool

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Time to make HREmany for the dozenth time.

Well, assuming it's still possible in 3's mechanics.
I don't think you can form the HRE in Victoria since it is already defunct. Though, Prussia into Germany is certainly going to be a super common and fairly easy playthrough. Doing that as Austria (or something else, not sure if like the Danubian Federation is in) would be much more Holy Roman Empire vibes.

Yep! I'm not looking for a CK3.5 here. This is more like an... econ/culture/society simulator, right?
Yeah, you could say the thematic underpinning of Victoria is the industrial revolution and all its consequences. So a big focus on the economy, colonialism, and the emergence of radical political ideologies.

We'll see how Victoria 3 is but Victoria 2 is much less sandbox-y than CK or EU which definitely makes it feel different. Minor nations are much harder and certain things (American Civil War, Germany and Italy forming, Meiji Restoration etc) happen like 80% of the time unless the player sabotages them. I always found that made the weird things that do happen more significant though.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the tutorialization is as strong as CKIII. That game was the first time I was able to get deeply into a Paradox game. In theory, this era should be even more of a draw for me.

I'm potentially very interested in this. I too hope it has a great tutorial, because it seems like a game you could bounce off very hard if you can't figure it out. But the premise is very cool

For anyone curious: they did do a whole dev diary on how the Tutorial works. I do think it's a good system, reminiscent of CK3's "learn by playing" stuff with all sorts of informational tooltips.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you can form the HRE in Victoria since it is already defunct. Though, Prussia into Germany is certainly going to be a super common and fairly easy playthrough. Doing that as Austria (or something else, not sure if like the Danubian Federation is in) would be much more Holy Roman Empire vibes.

I just mean "Super Germany" (Germany with full HRE peak borders), not the literal HRE title.

OP
OP
Rodrigues solitaire
Oct 28, 2019
We'll see how Victoria 3 is but Victoria 2 is much less sandbox-y than CK or EU which definitely makes it feel different. Minor nations are much harder and certain things (American Civil War, Germany and Italy forming, Meiji Restoration etc) happen like 80% of the time unless the player sabotages them. I always found that made the weird things that do happen more significant though.

I don't doubt this will be a harder game to master than CKIII but I do think Paradox has moved away from the railroaded design of their games since Victoria II so I'm not sure if this game will not feel sandbox-y. Bret Deveraux put it best in his excellent analyses of EU4 and Vic2 on his blog:

It's possible to divide the product of Paradox Development Studio, the core studio at Paradox Interactive, into something like three 'generations.' (...) Generation II and Generation III (Gen2 and Gen3) differ from each other in important elements of design philosophy; Gen2 Paradox games (EU3, HoI3, and Victoria II) tend to designed so that major historical events are forced to happen more or less the way they did historically, often by hard-coding certain events to only happen to the countries that did them historically. There is an inflexibility in this design which is quite noticeable as you press the game's systems. By contrast, the Gen3 Paradox games (starting in 2012, CKII, EU4, HoI4, Stellaris, and Imperator) are structured to allow a lot more flexibility. The games feature fewer forced events and instead more systems which guide the development of play towards historically plausible(-ish) outcomes.

Judging by the many achievements that feel entirely 'game-y' I think this game will follow the same later design philosophy.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
I don't doubt this will be a harder game to master than CKIII but I do think Paradox has moved away from the railroaded design of their games since Victoria II so I'm not sure if this game will not feel sandbox-y. Bret Deveraux put it best in his excellent analyses of EU4 and Vic2 on his blog:

Judging by the many achievements that feel entirely 'game-y' I think this game will follow the same later design philosophy.
I don't disagree. But Victoria 2 was notably less sandbox-y than its contemporary EU3. The time it covers being shorter and having to react to some huge changes in the world in quick succession means it has to be a bit more scripted to deal with the time period in question. You can actually see that necessity IMO in EU4's Europe which has all these big continent-wide or regional mechanics (Protestantism, the Revolution etc) because if you played a game there and those thing didn't happen around when they were supposed to, it'd just feel like you weren't representing the time period. Which is arguably just a result of the Eurocentrism of history (was Napoleon or the formation of Spain really more inevitable than the rise of the Qing or the Mughals?) but Paradox aims to make a game that give people a vibe that matches their perceptions of the era.

Similarly, playing the USA in Victoria without the Civil War, Europe without Garibaldi running amok in Italy (we know he is in V3 and seems quite detailed/scripted,) or not seeing the rise of fascism and communism in the final years of the game would just destroy the vibe of the game. That history is much more recent and took place during probably the single most important period in the development of the world as we know it so more of it feel wrong to not model accurately.

That is to say, I suspect V3 will retain its status as most rigid mainline Paradox game although probably being more open than V3. Especially since its general mechanics will be much easier to comprehend. While the devs have said they prefer general mechanics over nation specific content, I am absolutely sure we'll eventually get DLC to improve the modeling of complicated regional stuff like the Warlord Period in China that simply can not be dealt with by the game without some special events.

OP
OP
Rodrigues solitaire
Oct 28, 2019
www.pcgamer.com

Creating utopias and dystopias by gaslight in Victoria 3

The peasants are revoltingly good!

www.rockpapershotgun.com

Victoria 3's Pop system is so detailed that your country basically doesn't need you around

After hands on with Victoria 3 it seems that the complicated Pop system AI in the game is good enough to steer a national ship by itself...

www.pcgamesn.com

Victoria 3 impressions: Building the future

Victoria 3 impressions: Paradox captures the optimism of the 19th century in its latest strategy game - and its political tumult - with practised elegance

www.thesixthaxis.com

Victoria 3 Preview – Leading the industrial & social revolutions of the 19th century | TheSixthAxis

We go hands on with Victoria 3, Paradox Interactive's latests grand strategy game that focusses on diplomacy, society and trade (with a side of war).

Ratuso

Nov 27, 2021
So I know this was announced for Game Pass, and the rest of PDX titles are available there, but it's odd that in the last update (July) the logo disappeared. Hopefully they confirm it soon.

Pheonix Will

Sep 6, 2021
Not too happy with the removal of direct military control, but happy to see what happens once impressions hit.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
A few more hands-on previews:

www.wargamer.com

Victoria 3 preview – in a promising State

Victoria 3 brings the dense and complex historical simulation the series is known for, but this newer Paradox title is far easier to access.

www.nme.com

'Victoria 3'’s staggering complexity is only matched by its excellent accessibility

'Victoria 3' may lack the character drama of 'Crusader Kings', but it's shaping up to be a staggeringly complex society simulator.

www.destructoid.com

Impressions: I got to play Victoria 3 and so can you this October

Anthony Marzano took a seat in the great leaders chair and bankrupted a country with a hands-on preview of Victoria 3 for Destructoid.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I am disappointed by the war side of Victoria 3, well and by their DLC shenanigans around CK3. So kind of meh. I'll give it a shot on GamePass to see how it goes, but not feeling it.

Edit: Scratch GamePass. Will wait a few months (or years) to see how the game develops post release.

Edit 2: Here is a snippet from PC Gamer on how war is conducted: "That isn't to say you can't play this as a conquest-heavy map-painting game. It's just not the default. And war plays out much differently than in other grand strategy games, as you don't actually move units around manually. Rather, you assign generals—characters with their own traits, quirks, and tendencies—to fronts, and give them an order to attack, defend, or stand by. The war will then play out mostly on auto-pilot, with most of your ability to influence things driven by keeping your arms industries churning, inventing new methods of warfare like aerial reconnaissance and early tanks, and reforming your army to better meet your needs. It's definitely not the strongest plank of Victoria 3, but it does the job.".

That's utterly disappointing, especially so considering the era. Multiple European war theaters, Crimean War, Franco-Prussian war, forming of Germany, Japanese Russian war of 1905, WW1, Russian Civil War and many many more. Yet there is such a basic system in Victoria 3.

Edit 3: Trade also seems overly simplistic looking at preview. Maybe I am too harsh, who knows, will wait till after release to see what folks think.

Last edited: