Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Important Update: I have misinterpreted the story in the tweet, my apologies. Thanks Crossing Eden for linking the update:
Update on this story, the tweet in the OP was about a person who created an AI voice mod for skyrim. Ubisoft got the mod taken down when they were made aware of it.

Original Post, Now Outdated as it was wrong:
This tweet was shared to me elsewhere and is pretty disgusting to see happen. WIth the strikes in Hollywood now, it seems that some studios in gaming are also trying to utilize AI to replace actors for gaming. On this specitic case the tweet is slightly vague so some measure of caution should be kept on context, but I guess its implied the character is meant to reappear in the future, but instead of hearing real recorded acting, you will get an imitation generated by AI.

Also if this keeps on happening, dont be surprised if the strikes turn to game developers as well, so spreading awareness to the community ahead of time could help for your own personal enjoyment of games as well, there's no reason to ignore this.

View: https://twitter.com/VictoriaAtkin/status/1680070771891388417?t=ycx_UIY6vMfBL6BXTEKcXA&s=19

Last edited:

itsumokid

Jun 1, 2021
Absolutely disgusting. So sick of these companies abusing the actual artists. Thanks for sharing, modiz.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
No wonder these A.C. games now a days feel like husks of their former selves when it comes to characters and their voices.. I bet they've been using this 'tech' for quite a while..

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I'm very curious what role she's talking about. Maybe Evie is going to appear in some AC spin off or mobile game? Or has a cameo in something?

Also, Syndicate came out in fucking 2015. It's mortifying to imagine even then there might have been something in her contract that would allow Ubisoft to legally allow her voice to be trained on something like AI (though I imagine the contract would have been extremely vague). If they're using Evie of all characters, I can only imagine other legacy AC lead VAs will come forward about this too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very curious what role she's talking about. Maybe Evie is going to appear in some AC spin off or mobile game? Or has a cameo in something?

Yeah, it's a little too vague to truly know what she means, but Ubisoft is absolutely the kind of company that would try to get around bringing a previous actor back for a new game by trying to clone their previous performance.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
maybe the ac infinity thingy? sounded like it would be full of references and cameos from past characters

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020

Also, Syndicate came out in fucking 2015. It's mortifying to imagine even then there might have been something in her contract that would allow Ubisoft to legally allow her voice to be trained on something like AI (though I imagine the contract would have been extremely vague). If they're using Evie of all characters, I can only imagine other legacy AC lead VAs will come forward about this too.
probably the AC Nexus whatever thing they're working on. The metaverse AC thing

Apr 5, 2022
This thread title is kinda misleading, It makes it sounds like her voice performance in Assassin's Creed Syndicate was AI utilized when she infact voiced for the role. I'm thinking she's talking about another project that utilizes her Evie voice via AI somewhere else.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Is she talking about an actual project by Ubisoft or is she referring to all the dipshits using Elevenlabs to steal actors voices for dumb YT videos?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
AC Syndicate came out eight years ago, long before the AI stuff took off. So this may be related to that rumored AC game where for some reason characters from different time periods are interacting, and if that's the case, they should fuck off and pay the people who gave their characters their iconic voices to keep providing those voices if they're gonna bring those characters back.

No wonder these A.C. games now a days feel like husks of their former selves when it comes to characters and their voices.. I bet they've been using this 'tech' for quite a while..
No? The last 3 AC games had banger VAs. Plenty of whom who were native to the region.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's all fucked, probably only a matter of time before the strike hits gaming too. Especially when some of Hollywood shitheads big plans are stuff thst games are already doing with more characters looking like their actual VA, is anything stopping them just using them without permission, as they own the character.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This thread title is kinda misleading, It makes it sounds like her voice performance in Assassin's Creed Syndicate was AI utilized when she infact voiced for the role. I'm thinking she's talking about another project that utilizes her Evie voice via AI somewhere else.
Sorry, i didnt mean for that but i can see how it could be misread. Ill report the title.
Is she talking about an actual project by Ubisoft or is she referring to all the dipshits using Elevenlabs to steal actors voices for dumb YT videos?
In the quoted tweet she is criticizing Ubisoft for lack of royalties and she is tagging Ubisoft in the new tweet, so I assume it is meant to criticize Ubisoft. She would also not have to be so vague if it was internet randos as opposed to the company she signed the contract for.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Also, do gaming contracts allow for residuals? I feel like question came up during the whole Bayonetta 3 debacle

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Also, do gaming contracts allow for residuals? I feel like question came up during the whole Bayonetta 3 debacle

That's a complicated question and the answer is "probably not as much/as often as they should". A lot of VA contracts don't have residuals, but sometimes (I imagine mostly for larger actors with good agents) they can.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

There is nothing hindering game companies from doing residuals. They just arent because thats how it is essentially. Though I think there are some rare cases where they do it (cant think of any examples of the top of my head, but I distinctly remember reading that somewhere).

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry, i didnt mean for that but i can see how it could be misread. Ill report the title.

In the quoted tweet she is criticizing Ubisoft for lack of royalties and she is tagging Ubisoft in the new tweet, so I assume it is meant to criticize Ubisoft. She would also not have to be so vague if it was internet randos as opposed to the company she signed the contract for.
Maybe, but she could also be criticizing them for not protecting there actors voices from AI to.

Its to vague. I wanna know exactly what she is talking about

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Without more info, I'd have to assume this is just for internal in-development use, as an alternative to having devs voice lines while the game is being worked on. I doubt any contract for a game that old would allow for that and it wouldn't make sense for a company of Ubisoft's size to attempt to save a small amount of money knowing that there would be a high risk of it blowing up in their face.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
There is nothing hindering game companies from doing residuals. They just arent because thats how it is essentially. Though I think there are some rare cases where they do it (cant think of any examples of the top of my head, but I distinctly remember reading that somewhere).

I only ask because the portion of the tweet referencing that she hasn't seen any I can't tell if she's simply informing this isn't something done in gaming or that there was an expectation she would and she's bringing awareness to the fact that she hasn't. (Though I'd assume there to be actual legal ramifications to that if she signed anything starting as much and UBI aren't paying up)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
By my knowledge gaming companies do not do residuals which in this day and age is ridiculous. Lots of VAs have complained about that in particular. A game like GTAV can make 500 million day one and the actors see none of that.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I only ask because the portion of the tweet referencing that she hasn't seen any I can't tell if she's simply informing this isn't something done in gaming or that there was an expectation she would and she's bringing awareness to the fact that she hasn't. (Though I'd assume there to be actual legal ramifications to that if she signed anything starting as much and UBI aren't paying up)

Yeah. I think she is mentioning that basically saying she should get residuals and gives the role as an example where she didnt get any.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Not really. And if they ask for residuals, people will jump on their throats because developers didn't ask first. Including some actors that already "got theirs" but fuck everyone else.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Supporting voice actors by claiming that other voice actors are already AI performances, remarkable.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017

Imagine saying this after the masterclass Melissanthi Mahut puts on in Odyssey.

Like, I get that you don't like AI, but don't kneejerk into insulting people putting in the work.

Sangral