• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Kubrick saw actors as mere tools, and treated them as such. Just read back on the shit he pulled during the filiming of Eyes Wide Shut.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He Needs Me from the Popeye soundtrack is dope so I'm going to have to roll with Shelly. Kubrick was a waste.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't even matter of she was a shitty actress or not. Recast her, instead of traumatizing the poor woman for a fucking film. Nothing is worth that.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Shelley delivered a GOAT-tier performance and film(3 Women) for Robert Altman before this so I'm standing with her.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what's even worse? How the media and Dr Phil exploited her mental illness and aging.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Jack Nicilson had the flashy role, Shelly grounded the film and lended plausibility, exactly what was required.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
One of Kubrick's most noted traits is that he was an astounding asshole. It was definitely Kubrick just being abusive to Shelly.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
She's obviously not a bad actress. Have you seen the movie?
He brutally got her to those emotional heights, but it's still her performance.

The video's not loading on my phone but I'm guessing this is from Kubrick's daughter's making of. Everyone should watch that. Jack being a creep towards her in his dressing room, James Mason visiting the set, Scatman tearing up over Danny, Jack psyching himself up for the door chop. It's all great.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yup. I think it was Hitchcock who famously said actors were cattle.
quote-i-never-said-all-actors-are-cattle-what-i-said-was-all-actors-should-be-treated-like-alfred-hitchcock-13-32-71.jpg

is it fair to say Kubrick was overrated?

what in tarnation

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insanely good with visuals, but the human core was always lacking. His working style is well reflected in his work.

I always thought he was overrated even when it comes to visuals. The Shining is the exception. I only like two Kubrick movies (the other being 2001), but The Shining is one of my favorite movies. It's nearly perfect.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He was an arsehole to her but the performance she gave is phenomenal so it's hard to tell. Would she have been that convincing without his pushing? Either way she's one of the most believable performances in movie history for my money.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
He was an arsehole to her but the performance she gave is phenomenal so it's hard to tell. Would she have been that convincing without his pushing? Either way she's one of the most believable performances in movie history for my money.
Funny thing is she was nominated for a razzie for her performance and kubrick was too. Funny how perceptions of films change over the years. And how critics can get things dead wrong.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
is it fair to say Kubrick was overrated?

Not at all. His eye for framing a shot is unmatched. Next time you watch a Kubrick scene check the symmetry of each shot, the lines formed from each object, the way the frame is broken up and how each line is positioned. He had an amazing eye for it and to some it can seem antiseptic and cold but that's the nature of the beast with Kubrick.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Funny thing is she was nominated for a razzie for her performance and kubrick was too. Funny how perceptions of films change over the years. And how critics can get things dead wrong.

I don't know what to say. Her vulnerability in the film adds so much to the general tension of the movie to me, it reads as genuinely being pushed to the limit, I think she nails it.

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard it explained that Kubrick was deliberately being an asshole to get the kind of mood/mindset and performance from Duval that he wanted, but I'm not sure I believe that.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Kubrick was an abusive prick, and justifying traumatizing women by saying "well her acting should have been naturally better so he wouldn't have had to do it" is startlingly shitty

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Kubrick was infamously abusive toward her on that set. Doesn't mean Shelley Duvall wasn't a good actress though. 3 Women, while a weird fucking movie, is another good performance of hers, and Altman was a much nicer guy than Kubrick to his actors.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Insanely good with visuals, but the human core was always lacking. His working style is well reflected in his work.
i mean.. you say that like it's a bad thing byt I think that's one of the best things about his work. He actually put a lot of work into expressing ideas beyond the traditional english lit, campbellian type of narrative(which is even more dominating today). That's one reason I can't take anyone who thinks Nolan or Villeneuve is the Kubrick of today seriously because neither of them could ever make a movie like 2001 or Eyes wide Shut. Not because their camera work is inferior but because they can't get out of the framework that movies and stories have to be centered around a human core and character development. 2001 is so fucking great precisely because it doesn't loop back into being a story about people, but keeps the focus on telling the story of human existence in the cosmos.

Last edited:

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just a reminder that despite how Kubrick's and Hitchcock's behaviour is often romanticised, being a piece of shit isn't in any way correlated with talent or vision.

Talent or vision just make being a piece of shit infinitely easier and more acceptable.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
How is he being an asshole in this video? This is what filmmaking is. Sometimes people get frustrated on set. Big fucking deal.

As someone who has been on sets, this is so mild it isn't even worth worrying about.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Barry Lyndon is as incredible work of art and beautifully done as it gets also; but the documentary filmworker does present a lot of the less than nurturing processes of Kubrick