• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Holy shit, that fly through was fast. I'm excited to see how Insomniac can handle that tech.

I looking so forward to shorter loading times too, the Days Gone loading is unbearable.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I hope these faster loading times work as advertised with stuff other than last gen (current gen as of right now) level games.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
so that fly through, the pro version stopped every few seconds to load right?

hmm, wonder how developers will design around having load speeds that fast

this could do wonders for pop-in at least

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Faster load times are nice?
and if they're sufficiently fast enough, game designers can do new and interesting things with that fact in mind

the developers of Spider-Man and BoTW both have noted that they've had to balance gameplay mechanics against data streaming considerations in the past, ie Spider-Man theoretically could only go -so fast- in his game on PS4 with the world looking and functioning the way it did on that platform, or else the platform couldn't keep up (and BoTW's designers ditched a hookshot mechanic for a similar reason iirc). Now it's easy to envision, say, a Speedster-style game with solid fidelity. Or a GTA game where cars and air vehicles aren't noticably slower than their real-world equivelants, or a Spider-Man game with an outfit that lets you go seriously faster, etc and really my ideas are boilerplate compared to all of the ways developers will take advantage of the ability to load shit faster

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, it stopped to load.

Also if you watch the Spider-Man technical postmortem from GDC, they actually talk about how they developed around it.

Edit: Here's the thread about it:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/marvels-spider-man-a-technical-postmortem-from-gdc.117383/

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Say goodbye to pop-in? As we have seen however, with every successive generation we get great technological advancements, but always there are seams revealed eventually. I wonder what the PS5's Achilles heel will be.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Delicious. Fast SSDs plus decent CPUs will make the new consoles so fast and nice to use. Will be immediately noticeable.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

I just think about whole new gameplay implementations possible now that loading is near instantaneous. You could have two playable characters at the opposite ends of a huge city and switch seamlessly between them. Or let's say a Superman game where you're literally fighting across the city, or a continent, being punched from city to city.. I dunno, it's pretty freeing and we'll see some neat usages of this from big developers, stuff we can't even imagine right now.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. It would be great if most ps4 games can take advantage of the new tech like this via a boost mode.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
also, hell yes to loads under a second

im sure a lot of games will still have load times longer than that, but if this reduces load times drastically across the board im in

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the difference is insane.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder how PC games will be affected with PS/Xbox games being built around Nvme drives while on PC they're not standard. Hopefully the engine makers / platform holders do the heavy lifting for the developers.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested on the changes added by the significant upgrade on CPU, hopefully significant leap on AI and collisions

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how PC games will be affected with PS/Xbox games being built around Nvme drives while on PC they're not standard. Hopefully the engine makers / platform holders do the heavy lifting for the developers.
I've been wondering about that, it's gonna be a weird couple of years

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This could be a godsend for future fighting games. Imagine getting into the fight instantly.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
and if they're sufficiently fast enough, game designers can do new and interesting things with that fact in mind

the developers of Spider-Man and BoTW both have noted that they've had to balance gameplay mechanics against data streaming considerations in the past, ie Spider-Man theoretically could only go -so fast- in his game on PS4 with the world looking and functioning the way it did on that platform, or else the platform couldn't keep up (and BoTW's designers ditched a hookshot mechanic for a similar reason iirc). Now it's easy to envision, say, a Speedster-style game with solid fidelity. Or a GTA game where cars and air vehicles aren't noticably slower than their real-world equivelants, or a Spider-Man game with an outfit that lets you go seriously faster, etc and really my ideas are boilerplate compared to all of the ways developers will take advantage of the ability to load shit faster

Thank you for taking the time to share the significance behind faster load times.