• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
8266.jpg

Welcome the Video & Filmmaking OT! In here, you can freely talk about the wondrous process that is "Filmmaking", share your work, ask questions, critique, etc.! Just be polite, professional and most of all: Have fun and be creative!

For starters, feel free to introduce yourselves (If you want) by talking about your favorite equipment to use and favorite industry professional (Director, DP, Producer, Etc.): Mine is Roger Deakins, and my favorite piece of equipment would be the Panasonic GH5 (Until I get my ARRI ALEXA Mini certification, then it may change XD). Welcome aboard, everyone!

Official Discord Server: PM for an invite!

Official ERA Networking List:

ShadowKingpin: Director/DP/Editor/Screenwriter
NapoleonTheChimp: Digital Imaging Technician (DIT), Editing, Color Grading
SeductivPancakes: Set Crew
Erlim: Actor, Producer

Resources For New Filmmakers (I will add more links as they come. Click the images to be sent to the channel of choice):

Last edited:

tjac

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making a thread.

So, I've been submitting my latest short film to a few different festivals now, but I know the odds of getting into a bigger one are very low, although I feel okay about my chances of getting into my local one (Columbus). I'm pretty proud of it for the most part, but it's a vert specific thing. Anyone have any recommendations of good festivals to submit to for the first time? I would like to submit to as many as possible, but I'm poor as shit.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for making a thread.

So, I've been submitting my latest short film to a few different festivals now, but I know the odds of getting into a bigger one are very low, although I feel okay about my chances of getting into my local one (Columbus). I'm pretty proud of it for the most part, but it's a vert specific thing. Anyone have any recommendations of good festivals to submit to for the first time? I would like to submit to as many as possible, but I'm poor as shit.

Anytime! I was quite surprised no one created yet, so here we are. In regards to film festivals, I'm quite curious myself, as nowadays, you can pay film festivals all over the country to put your piece in by sending it digitally. Now, I don't know if that is the best way to go, but it will take a lot of research. I'm in pre-production for a short film next that I plan on throwing into the festival circuit and have never done it before, so just like yourself, I welcome any suggestions.

If you guys had to learn one video production software what would it be?

It really depends. If I could have FCP on Windows, I would choose that in a heartbeat, as Premiere Pro isn't the friendliest some days. I do see that more and more studios are using Adobe, so PP and AE may be your best bet. Myself, I started out with Vegas years ago and made my way to Premiere. As of recent, I have dabbled with Hitfilm 4, but it runs like ass.

My suggestion: For editing: Premiere Pro
For color correction/grading: DaVinci Resolve.

They both work hand-in-hand.

Sylar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool thanks for the recs. I have experience with Premiere Pro, just wanted to see if I should learn something else instead before I fine tune my skills etc. But thank you.

tjac

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't go the film school, so I'm gonna say probably

School's for fools!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Can I be here if I dropped out of film school? lol

I have been avoiding going to film school, so no worries there. Everyone is welcome here! Besides, I would rather spend the $20,000 it costs to go to the one here in Nashville on equipment and start work right away, but hey, if someone enjoyed film school, I am not one to judge. Regardless, welcome!

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see this thread up and running!

I attended film theory school for a year so uh no clue if that counts.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm so glad you guys made it through to RE.

I finished school and I'm looking for PA work in NYC. I need practical experience of being on set.

I've only managed to find a unpaid gig last Saturday. The director was finishing up a short so he can try to get finance, so I helped with him finish up the short. Shot it in his apartment, and I mainly helped with lighting, cause his lighting person wasn't available, I held the reflector, and did the slate. It was fun, but I feel I need a lot more experience. Something that has me doing lock up.

Anyway, let me shameless say, if you guys are filming in NYC, and need an extra body for manual labor, I'm willing to work for free in exchange for a learning experience.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Happy to see this thread up and running!

I attended film theory school for a year so uh no clue if that counts.

Haha. That totally counts. Film school is usually either all about theory, or it's hands-on (Sometimes I mixture of both). Glad to have you here!

I'm so glad you guys made it through to RE.

I finished school and I'm looking for PA work in NYC. I need practical experience of being on set.

I've only managed to find a unpaid gig last Saturday. The director was finishing up a short so he can try to get finance, so I helped with him finish up the short. Shot it in his apartment, and I mainly helped with lighting, cause his lighting person wasn't available, I held the reflector, and did the slate. It was fun, but I feel I need a lot more experience. Something that has me doing lock up.

Anyway, let me shameless say, if you guys are filming in NYC, and need an extra body for manual labor, I'm willing to work for free in exchange for a learning experience.

Very nice! If I can ever make it out to NYC again soon, we should definitely get together. I won't be doing any major projects there, sadly. I just moved down to Nashville, TN from Ohio a few weeks ago since film is booming down here and in Atlanta. Hoping to find some work myself, but it's not easy. Nowadays, it's about paying for your own gear up front and doing the majority work yourself (Directing, Cinematography, Lighting, Editing), so finding actual work is quite the trick.

I really hope you find some good projects up there. You are in an amazing city with fantastic public transportation, so you already have your foot in the door. I would also suggest paying for workshops by companies like AbelCine. They actually teach stuff with workshops & seminars that sometimes you get official certification for. That will allow you to network with other filmmakers in your area. I signed up for the first ever ARRI ALEXA Mini certification by AbelCine here in Nashville, and as a result, I will be listed on their website as one of the few people in the entire state of Tennessee that is officially certified to operate the ALEXA Mini, but I also get to network with other filmmakers and possibly collaborate with them. We shall see, but I would check those out, as NYC is always home to fantastic workshops.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Lord of the Rings extended edition appendices for like the 50th time around. Makes me itch to be on a set again.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Just used a couple of GH4s, one with a speedbooster/sigma 18-35mm combo and the other a 35mm prime, on a zero dialogue short film set inside a Thai restaurant. Used only available artificial light: night shoot, mostly overheads, the director didn't even want to bother with bounce boards or diffusion.. Just as is.. Still, looked pretty good. I'll post some stills when I get them. Video should be edited within a week.

Used the gh4/speedbooster/sigma on another short a couple months ago. It's available on youtube: search for "Netflix and kill" by Ally Kloster if interested. (I didn't do the edit). Shot day for night. Loved the warmth we were able to pull off in the bedroom scene, especially as a contrast to the colder living room scenes. The editor & director seemed to shy away from my handheld run and gun & whip pan shots which I was kind of proud of.. well, will likely shoot one more short for that sketch troupe next month. I'll see if I can get them to embrace handheld this next time (if appropriate - I haven't seen their script yet).

Oct 26, 2017
I work as a Digital Imaging Technician on films, tv, and commercials. It is most commonly thought of as a data wrangler but an actual DIT does that on the side but primarily is responsible for ensuring the quality of the visual image in the film and working with the DoP to create custom visual looks.

I'm buying a whole new set of kit in the next week or so including a Macbook Pro, eGFX, 10 bit production monitor, and LUT box.

I may even be using it to do jobs from home, including dealing with clients globally. So I may be able to help people out (here) with their projects in a colour grading and DCP Creation way but it depends if they can get footage to me via online cloud transfer or courier.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Just used a couple of GH4s, one with a speedbooster/sigma 18-35mm combo and the other a 35mm prime, on a zero dialogue short film set inside a Thai restaurant. Used only available artificial light: night shoot, mostly overheads, the director didn't even want to bother with bounce boards or diffusion.. Just as is.. Still, looked pretty good. I'll post some stills when I get them. Video should be edited within a week.

Used the gh4/speedbooster/sigma on another short a couple months ago. It's available on youtube: search for "Netflix and kill" by Ally Kloster if interested. (I didn't do the edit). Shot day for night. Loved the warmth we were able to pull off in the bedroom scene, especially as a contrast to the colder living room scenes. The editor & director seemed to shy away from my handheld run and gun & whip pan shots which I was kind of proud of.. well, will likely shoot one more short for that sketch troupe next month. I'll see if I can get them to embrace handheld this next time (if appropriate - I haven't seen their script yet).

I'm getting a MB Speed Booster XL EF for my GH5 with Rokinon Cine DS lenses soon, but I keep seeing the Sigma 18-35 as the lens everyone with Panasonic goes to. Is it really a major difference from normal cinema lenses?

I work as a Digital Imaging Technician on films, tv, and commercials. It is most commonly thought of as a data wrangler but an actual DIT does that on the side but primarily is responsible for ensuring the quality of the visual image in the film and working with the DoP to create custom visual looks.

I'm buying a whole new set of kit in the next week or so including a Macbook Pro, eGFX, 10 bit production monitor, and LUT box.

I may even be using it to do jobs from home, including dealing with clients globally. So I may be able to help people out (here) with their projects in a colour grading and DCP Creation way but it depends if they can get footage to me via online cloud transfer or courier.

Very nice!!! I admire those who are good with color grading. I have been teaching myself the process for the last few weeks on DaVinci Resolve and it's definitely an interesting aspect to learn. Hell, helping out others on here is a great thing to do and would be incredibly beneficial to anyone who needs that kind of work done. It's so nice to have all of these awesome people here. :D

Last edited:

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
I'm getting a MB Speed Booster XL EF for my GH5 with Rokinon Cine DS lenses soon, but I keep seeing the Sigma 18-35 as the lens everyone with Panasonic goes to. Is it really a major difference from normal cinema lenses?

I can't speak to a specific difference between the sigma 18-35 and rokinon cinema lenses -- and I am specifically saving up for the rokinon 14mm and 85mm primes to expand my kit! -- but for that middle/slightly wide-to-portrait range the sigma gives you a pristine picture at f/1.2 (fully open) in C4K on the gh4 through the entire zoom range. First of its kind lens allowing budget filmmakers like me to replace two+ expensive prime lenses while also giving the bonus of zoom (without sacrificing/changing f stop). On any of the budget shoots I've been involved with the other filmmakers have always preferred my kit to any others that they may have had access to. The only times (anectodally) that my camera had been dismissed/sidelined is when the director had access to an Alexa or Red Epic and $20,000 18-80mm cinema lenses.

My guess is your suite of rokinon lenses will provide the same level of quality as the sigma (at equivalent ranges) if not better -- wide open with a speed booster you're probably looking at f stops of 1.0, right? -- with great bokeh -- but your only missing out on the zoom capability.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Very nice! If I can ever make it out to NYC again soon, we should definitely get together. I won't be doing any major projects there, sadly. I just moved down to Nashville, TN from Ohio a few weeks ago since film is booming down here and in Atlanta. Hoping to find some work myself, but it's not easy. Nowadays, it's about paying for your own gear up front and doing the majority work yourself (Directing, Cinematography, Lighting, Editing), so finding actual work is quite the trick.

I really hope you find some good projects up there. You are in an amazing city with fantastic public transportation, so you already have your foot in the door. I would also suggest paying for workshops by companies like AbelCine. They actually teach stuff with workshops & seminars that sometimes you get official certification for. That will allow you to network with other filmmakers in your area. I signed up for the first ever ARRI ALEXA Mini certification by AbelCine here in Nashville, and as a result, I will be listed on their website as one of the few people in the entire state of Tennessee that is officially certified to operate the ALEXA Mini, but I also get to network with other filmmakers and possibly collaborate with them. We shall see, but I would check those out, as NYC is always home to fantastic workshops.
Thanks dude. I'm a Facebook group for film work and they mostly need PAs that can drive, which I can't lmao.

Understandable.

Oct 26, 2017

Very nice!!! I admire those who are good with color grading. I have been teaching myself the process for the last few weeks on DaVinci Resolve and it's definitely an interesting aspect to learn. Hell, helping out others on here is a great thing to do and would be incredibly beneficial to anyone who needs that kind of work done. It's so nice to have all of these awesome people here. :D
I'll help in whatever way I can.

When I get all the kit I'll update this thread and let people know how I get on with it all. The eGFX chassis looks promising as it'll allow me to work without frying the internal GPU (which tends to happen when pushing a laptop hard) as well as boosting processing times.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I can't speak to a specific difference between the sigma 18-35 and rokinon cinema lenses -- and I am specifically saving up for the rokinon 14mm and 85mm primes to expand my kit! -- but for that middle/slightly wide-to-portrait range the sigma gives you a pristine picture at f/1.2 (fully open) in C4K on the gh4 through the entire zoom range. First of its kind lens allowing budget filmmakers like me to replace two+ expensive prime lenses while also giving the bonus of zoom (without sacrificing/changing f stop). On any of the budget shoots I've been involved with the other filmmakers have always preferred my kit to any others that they may have had access to. The only times (anectodally) that my camera had been dismissed/sidelined is when the director had access to an Alexa or Red Epic and $20,000 18-80mm cinema lenses.

My guess is your suite of rokinon lenses will provide the same level of quality as the sigma (at equivalent ranges) if not better -- wide open with a speed booster you're probably looking at f stops of 1.0, right? -- with great bokeh -- but your only missing out on the zoom capability.

Very nice!! Now, if I use the EF MetaBones XL adapter, I can't use the 18-35, correct? I believe that's an EF-S lens. Or, will it snap on just fine, but have a crop factor? I'm so new to it, but if I can avoid buying another MB adapter for EF-S lenses, I will do that, haha.

Thanks dude. I'm a Facebook group for film work and they mostly need PAs that can drive, which I can't lmao.

Understandable.

I totally get you. I'm without a car right now, so the limitation absolutely blows. It isn't cheap owning a car nowadays when having to pay for equipment. Thankfully, the transportation system here isn't 'too' bad, but it definitely can be improved on. XD

I'll help in whatever way I can.

When I get all the kit I'll update this thread and let people know how I get on with it all. The eGFX chassis looks promising as it'll allow me to work without frying the internal GPU (which tends to happen when pushing a laptop hard) as well as boosting processing times.

Sounds amazing! What year is your MBP? What specs are you working with, if you don't mind me asking?

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Hey everybody, I just wanted to share a proof-of-concept short film I made last year called "The Man From Death"

It's a Outlaw Josey Wales meets Scott Pilgrim, and it's about 10 minutes long.
THvH9Mj.jpg

If you ever read the Mental Health OT at NeoGaf, I produced and acted in a short film to memorialize my sister after she succumbed to suicide---it was called "The Forge."

Anyway, that's me in the black. I am fighting my friend Mike Moh (Triton from Inhumans and Ryu from Street Fighter legacy.) The movie premiered at Fantastic Fest in 2016, and I've just been cruising around film fests with it. I have a feature script I'm really happy with, and I'm trying to make the project live on. I'd love to hear your feedback, especially since videogames influenced the movie and idea so much.

I've been acting and creatively and logistically producing a decent amount of work in the last couple years, and I'm hoping to get back into long form projects. You can check it out at my website www.babyunderthemoon.comfor more stuff. Anyway, let me know if you guys get the chance to watch The Man From Death (www.themanfromdeath.com).

Also, I'm wondering has anybody here found good collaborators back on NeoGAF? It would be really really really interesting to produce something under the resetERA banner...
bb1cc60c-d87d-435e-b6a0-eb67b6094aba

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds amazing! What year is your MBP? What specs are you working with, if you don't mind me asking?

It'll be bought new to replace a 6 year old one. So Mid 2017. It'll be the stock top end model, so the 2.9 GHZ / Radeon Pro 560 4gb / 512 GB SSD.

It costs too much money to upgrade it more than that. And I'll likely be selling it in a year or two and refreshing to keep up to date so I didn't wamt to bother with the ultra expensive version.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Hey everybody, I just wanted to share a proof-of-concept short film I made last year called "The Man From Death"

It's a Outlaw Josey Wales meets Scott Pilgrim, and it's about 10 minutes long.
THvH9Mj.jpg

If you ever read the Mental Health OT at NeoGaf, I produced and acted in a short film to memorialize my sister after she succumbed to suicide---it was called "The Forge."

Anyway, that's me in the black. I am fighting my friend Mike Moh (Triton from Inhumans and Ryu from Street Fighter legacy.) The movie premiered at Fantastic Fest in 2016, and I've just been cruising around film fests with it. I have a feature script I'm really happy with, and I'm trying to make the project live on. I'd love to hear your feedback, especially since videogames influenced the movie and idea so much.

I've been acting and creatively and logistically producing a decent amount of work in the last couple years, and I'm hoping to get back into long form projects. You can check it out at my website www.babyunderthemoon.comfor more stuff. Anyway, let me know if you guys get the chance to watch The Man From Death (www.themanfromdeath.com).

Also, I'm wondering has anybody here found good collaborators back on NeoGAF? It would be really really really interesting to produce something under the resetERA banner...
bb1cc60c-d87d-435e-b6a0-eb67b6094aba

Holy. Shit. That was quite the experience. If I could say one thing, it would be: "ADHD". If I could say another thing, it would be: "Incredible". Your SFX guy definitely deserves a huge raise, because I felt like I was trippin' balls. Congrats to the whole team for such an awesome job!!! I will say, the scene with the bullet and the chick slayed me. XD

It'll be bought new to replace a 6 year old one. So Mid 2017. It'll be the stock top end model, so the 2.9 GHZ / Radeon Pro 560 4gb / 512 GB SSD.

It costs too much money to upgrade it more than that. And I'll likely be selling it in a year or two and refreshing to keep up to date so I didn't wamt to bother with the ultra expensive version.

Have you considered building a PC for your editing? Or, are you heavily invested in FCP? Then again, the portability of a MBP can't be beat for what you get as an editing laptop.

Oct 26, 2017
Holy. Shit. That was quite the experience. If I could say one thing, it would be: "ADHD". If I could say another thing, it would be: "Incredible". Your SFX guy definitely deserves a huge raise, because I felt like I was trippin' balls. Congrats to the whole team for such an awesome job!!! I will say, the scene with the bullet and the chick slayed me. XD

Have you considered building a PC for your editing? Or, are you heavily invested in FCP? Then again, the portability of a MBP can't be beat for what you get as an editing laptop.

I considered it but I need to be on location for DIT work and while a workstation would be good it'd only be ideal for feature films (a lot of footage that needs processing rapidly) and not great for the projects that require me to be in remote locations or tight spaces. Also a lot of the software I use is Mac only, and I don't particularly want to buy into their Mac Pro products.

You can see a breakdown of a large DIT "cart" here: http://pomfort.com/article/my-dit-cart-michael-romano/

That guy has been doing it for a while but I can't buy into it at that level so I'm going in at the low end. Keep in mind the low end is still in the region of £10,000 ($13125) for equipment.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I considered it but I need to be on location for DIT work and while a workstation would be good it'd only be ideal for feature films (a lot of footage that needs processing rapidly) and not great for the projects that require me to be in remote locations or tight spaces. Also a lot of the software I use is Mac only, and I don't particularly want to buy into their Mac Pro products.

You can see a breakdown of a large DIT "cart" here: http://pomfort.com/article/my-dit-cart-michael-romano/

That guy has been doing it for a while but I can't buy into it at that level so I'm going in at the low end. Keep in mind the low end is still in the region of £10,000 ($13125) for equipment.

That's a ton of cheddar, but it's totally worth it for what you are doing. I'm making the same investment on a shitty job, but thankfully I have two roommates and I walk to work, so I don't have many bills. Still, getting into film is quite the price.

Oct 26, 2017
That's a ton of cheddar, but it's totally worth it for what you are doing. I'm making the same investment on a shitty job, but thankfully I have two roommates and I walk to work, so I don't have many bills. Still, getting into film is quite the price.
Getting into the film industry is a tough old thing. A lot don't have the stomach or stubbornness to make it through the tough times but once you do you'll find yourself (if you're lucky) chatting to the very people you saw in the movies a year or more before.

In my 2nd feature film job I was actually talking to Anjelica Huston and Melissa Joan Hart in the lunch line. Compare that with the year before when I was fired from a job at Staples. Most considered my aspirations to be impossible, but as it turns out the impossible was a year away from a pretty low point.

Beyond that I've had the pleasure of talking to actors from Game of Thrones (the guy with twin swords in the Ned flashback, a minor role but still...), Star Trek Beyond, and Sherlock.

I am never going back to working in retail.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Getting into the film industry is a tough old thing. A lot don't have the stomach or stubbornness to make it through the tough times but once you do you'll find yourself (if you're lucky) chatting to the very people you saw in the movies a year or more before.

In my 2nd feature film job I was actually talking to Anjelica Huston and Melissa Joan Hart in the lunch line. Compare that with the year before when I was fired from a job at Staples. Most considered my aspirations to be impossible, but as it turns out the impossible was a year away from a pretty low point.

Beyond that I've had the pleasure of talking to actors from Game of Thrones (the guy with twin swords in the Ned flashback, a minor role but still...), Star Trek Beyond, and Sherlock.

I am never going back to working in retail.

Yeah, stay far away from retail, as it is cancer for the soul. I'm only doing it now since I moved two states south for film work, so I have to have a stead income until I find a project out here. My family thinks I'm slightly crazy with my full push into film as a career, but I follow my dreams and never let anyone get in my way. Major props to you for following yours and never giving up! Did you ever go to school for what you know, or are you self-taught?

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Very nice!! Now, if I use the EF MetaBones XL adapter, I can't use the 18-35, correct? I believe that's an EF-S lens. Or, will it snap on just fine, but have a crop factor? I'm so new to it, but if I can avoid buying another MB adapter for EF-S lenses, I will do that, haha.

Without trying it myself, I couldn't say that combination works.. in fact I doubt it will, at least not perfectly. (If i'm reading it right) Metabones' website even says EF-S lenses need modification to fit/work properly on their MFT speedbooster XL.

If youre in the LA area you could always take my lens/speedbooster combo for a test run. I might be using it for another shoot in a couple weeks. However I think I'll need 120fps+ for slomo and the gh4 only has 96, so I might end up renting a gh5 for that gig... while still using the speedbooster/sigma 18-35mm combo. It's just so pretty.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Without trying it myself, I couldn't say that combination works.. in fact I doubt it will, at least not perfectly. (If i'm reading it right) Metabones' website even says EF-S lenses need modification to fit/work properly on their MFT speedbooster XL.

If youre in the LA area you could always take my lens/speedbooster combo for a test run. I might be using it for another shoot in a couple weeks. However I think I'll need 120fps+ for slomo and the gh4 only has 96, so I might end up renting a gh5 for that gig... while still using the speedbooster/sigma 18-35mm combo. It's just so pretty.

I can't thank you enough for the incredibly generous, but I am in Nashville (Just moved here). If I ever stop by LA in the near future before I purchase the MB adapter (Always possible), I will happily hit you up on here and I can let you try out the GH5 (If you haven't already at the time). I'm only concerned with the XL .71 (I think that's the one for EF-S?) due to spending that kind of cash just to use the one Sigma lens. I wish MB wasn't so insanely expensive, but I may just get the EF mount so that I keep investing in glass that I can use on RED's and whatnot down the line.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, stay far away from retail, as it is cancer for the soul. I'm only doing it now since I moved two states south for film work, so I have to have a stead income until I find a project out here. My family thinks I'm slightly crazy with my full push into film as a career, but I follow my dreams and never let anyone get in my way. Major props to you for following yours and never giving up! Did you ever go to school for what you know, or are you self-taught?
I went to school but honestly it was a waste of time and money as nearly everything I know I taught myself or through free resources. In fact I learnt to edit because I was tasked with creating a documentary for a local charity. But even at that point I had still learnt a massive amount simply from reading books and watching tv and films. The technical stuff took longer and was capped off with practical on-set experience where I get to make dumb mistakes.

I just learn from them and improved for the next time. And I think that's the key... have a goal and ALWAYS keep on moving toward it. It may not go the way you want but adapt and persist.

I love the style of this. It seems really well done too. Also, with the martial arts, and the whole frontier wild west style, it reminds me a little of that Into The Badlands show. And maybe that one Wii game (or rather the sequel)... with the motion controller. I can't remember the name.

Are you well connected then, experienced, etc? I've known some who aren't who produce some astonishingly amazing stuff. I've been building up my own credits and network of professional filmmakers but unfortunately I think you're in the USA? I'm in the UK but I would love to work with you in some capacity.

As I mentioned above I'm working on doing stuff globally (editing, colour grading, digital mastering, etc) and I've got to figure out the logistics of it first before I can help with anything but the offer is there for you and anyone else who's interested. When I get new kit in a couple of weeks I'll update this thread so people can see what I can do.

Last edited:

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
I can't thank you enough for the incredibly generous, but I am in Nashville (Just moved here). If I ever stop by LA in the near future before I purchase the MB adapter (Always possible), I will happily hit you up on here and I can let you try out the GH5 (If you haven't already at the time). I'm only concerned with the XL .71 (I think that's the one for EF-S?) due to spending that kind of cash just to use the one Sigma lens. I wish MB wasn't so insanely expensive, but I may just get the EF mount so that I keep investing in glass that I can use on RED's and whatnot down the line.

Damn. I was just in Nashville (couple months ago) with my GH4. Still haven't sorted through all my footage... here are some sample photos from the GH4/speedbooster/sigma 18-35mm at sunset near Broadway (from the Cumberland river pedestrian bridge):

19983240_1659981964046gjx1.jpg

20024121_165998335404p2koc.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I went to school but honestly it was a waste of time and money as nearly everything I know I taught myself or through free resources. In fact I learnt to edit because I was tasked with creating a documentary for a local charity. But even at that point I had still learnt a massive amount simply from reading books and watching tv and films. The technical stuff took longer and was capped off with practical on-set experience where I get to make dumb mistakes.

I just learn from them and improved for the next time. And I think that's the key... have a goal and ALWAYS keep on moving toward it. It may not go the way you want but adapt and persist.

I love the style of this. It seems really well done too. Also, with the martial arts, and the whole frontier wild west style, it reminds me a little of that Into The Badlands show. And maybe that one Wii game (or rather the sequel)... with the motion controller. I can't remember the name.

Are you well connected then, experienced, etc? I've known some who aren't who produce some astonishingly amazing stuff. I've been building up my own credits and network of professional filmmakers but unfortunately I think you're in the USA? I'm in the UK but I would love to work with you in some capacity.

As I mentioned above I'm working on doing stuff globally (editing, colour grading, digital mastering, etc) and I've got to figure out the logistics of it first before I can help with anything but the offer is there for you and anyone else who's interested. When I get new kit in a couple of weeks I'll update this thread so people can see what I can do.

We should definitely start a list of ERA filmmakers, DP's, Editors, DIT's, etc. for networking. Hell, collabs would be fun.

Damn. I was just in Nashville (couple months ago) with my GH4. Still haven't sorted through all my footage... here are some sample photos from the GH4/speedbooster/sigma 18-35mm at sunset near Broadway (from the Cumberland river pedestrian bridge):

19983240_1659981964046gjx1.jpg

20024121_165998335404p2koc.jpg

If you ever come to Nashville again, let me know in advance and I'll buy you a beer (If you drink)!

OnTheLam

Oct 27, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Hi All, Picture Editor here. Anyone interested in post production? Started out on features as an Apprentice Editor in 2007 and finally got the bump up to Picture Editor with the Editors Guild in 2015. Currently working on a CW tv show but will be wrapped up in December.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017

I've been using a G7 and a Sigma 18-35 s my set-up for a while now (no Speedbooster, just a cheap metal adapter I got on eBay). It's not magic but it's a really great kit that fits my budget and I can bring with me anywhere.

If you want an example of what it looks like here's a little short I threw together in a weekend for my film school application (quote to reveal):

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Hi All, Picture Editor here. Anyone interested in post production? Started out on features as an Apprentice Editor in 2007 and finally got the bump up to Picture Editor with the Editors Guild in 2015. Currently working on a CW tv show but will be wrapped up in December.
Yeah, I'm interested. I work primarily as a DIT on feature films and have to liase with post-production on a regular basis. I also edit on an amateur level as well as colour grading on the side (DIT'ing requires multiple skillsets).

I'm in the UK but looking at working with people globally.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

Definitely interested! I'm going to start-up an official list on here for collabs and networking very soon. I'm really excited to see the future of Era and bringing fellow artists together on here. :D

I've been using a G7 and a Sigma 18-35 s my set-up for a while now (no Speedbooster, just a cheap metal adapter I got on eBay). It's not magic but it's a really great kit that fits my budget and I can bring with me anywhere.

If you want an example of what it looks like here's a little short I threw together in a weekend for my film school application (quote to reveal):

That actually looks really good! That's the little brother of the GH5 with 4K & IBIS, correct?

For anyone interested on the official list, would you be ok with it being public for members-only in the OP, or any suggestions?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
If you are interested in being put on the ERA networking list, please state what you can do within the entire film creation process and official titles. If you want anyone of your work put on their for those to see, please send me a link and I will put it next to your name. Thanks, all! :D

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I did some rigging for a crowdfunding ad featuring MUD1's creator Richard Bartle a few years back.

Unfortunately, that was before my interest in film and filmmaking began; I no longer have anything I can contribute to.

Constantly fighting the urge to buy a decent camera and start making some shorts just to deal with the creative itch.

My favourite thing in filmmaking is by far long takes; Russian Ark is probably in my top five favourite films for its dream-like cinematography.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
That actually looks really good! That's the little brother of the GH5 with 4K & IBIS, correct?

Yep that's the one. I had a G6 and was planning on upgrading to the GH4, but I saw a lot of incredibly positive recommendations about the G7 so I got it and I've been incredibly happy with it.

Camera equipment evolves so quickly that it's hard to get something that I'll be satisfied with for many years. It's still a touch frustrating trying to shoot films with a DSLR because it never looks quite right but I'm managing. I don't shoot nearly as much as I'd like so it just gathers dust most of the time anyways.

Oct 26, 2017
If you are interested in being put on the ERA networking list, please state what you can do within the entire film creation process and official titles. If you want anyone of your work put on their for those to see, please send me a link and I will put it next to your name. Thanks, all! :D
You can put me down for editing and colour grading too as those are complimentary skills to that of the DIT and ones I've developed over the years. Thanks!

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
You can put me as free manual labor lol

Done!

I did some rigging for a crowdfunding ad featuring MUD1's creator Richard Bartle a few years back.

Unfortunately, that was before my interest in film and filmmaking began; I no longer have anything I can contribute to.

Constantly fighting the urge to buy a decent camera and start making some shorts just to deal with the creative itch.

My favourite thing in filmmaking is by far long takes; Russian Ark is probably in my top five favourite films for its dream-like cinematography.

YES! I'm a huge fan of long takes. My favorite is either the Dunkirk scene in Atonement or the torture scene --> get gasoline --> back to torture moment in Reservoir Dogs. I feel like you can be so creative with long takes, but so many are afraid to try it, or the short attention span of many just cast it out as irrelevant.

Yep that's the one. I had a G6 and was planning on upgrading to the GH4, but I saw a lot of incredibly positive recommendations about the G7 so I got it and I've been incredibly happy with it.

Camera equipment evolves so quickly that it's hard to get something that I'll be satisfied with for many years. It's still a touch frustrating trying to shoot films with a DSLR because it never looks quite right but I'm managing. I don't shoot nearly as much as I'd like so it just gathers dust most of the time anyways.

Nice! DSLR filming is a pain, because it doesn't produce the cinema look that I crave, but people like me can't afford a RED. The Blackmagic cinema cameras are advised against because they break down a lot and nothing else but an old Canon C100 (1080p) is obtainable in that price range, so I'm using the GH5 with a soon-to-be MB speedbooster because of the IBIS, 4K 10-Bit 422, battery life and dual card slots, because that is the closest someone like me is ever going to get to an expensive cinema camera.

You can put me down for editing and colour grading too as those are complimentary skills to that of the DIT and ones I've developed over the years. Thanks!

Done!

I've produced a ton but my love is being in front of the camera. Don't know if that helps but add me! You can see my work at www.babyunderthemoon.com !

I will definitely add those (And check out the website, too!)

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey dudes.

I'm in film school and would love to post more of my stuff here for some critique.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys, crossposting from the Screenwriting OT:

Longtime "baby writer", I wrote my first feature at fifteen and graduated from USC's screenwriting BFA program ten years ago. Written about twenty features and pilots, gone through several pitch processes, have one feature optioned, and now I'm focused on adapting a pilot into a novel to self-publish.

I guess my favorite "industry professional" is Paddy Chayefsky. "Network" feels like a goddamn eerie prediction of 2017.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Hi guys, crossposting from the Screenwriting OT:

Longtime "baby writer", I wrote my first feature at fifteen and graduated from USC's screenwriting BFA program ten years ago. Written about twenty features and pilots, gone through several pitch processes, have one feature optioned, and now I'm focused on adapting a pilot into a novel to self-publish.

I guess my favorite "industry professional" is Paddy Chayefsky. "Network" feels like a goddamn eerie prediction of 2017.

Holy hell. I am so happy to have you here!!!! It really brightens up my day to see all of these professionals and artists coming together in this thread to talk, share ideas and network. Welcome to the thread and feel free to share your experiences regarding your screenwriting!

tjac

Oct 25, 2017
There's also a 4:3 version, but I uploaded this one because it matched my demo reel on my channel, although I really need to update that video. I might just change it to the other version anyway

Last edited: