• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a Bolex H16. Anyone experience with that specific camera or shooting 16mm in general? I'm excited beyond believe.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
I got a seasonal job working at a lighting rental house. Hoping to learn more about equipment and get paid.

Hey right on, always nice to get paid for this work.

I recently got a job with a catering company working on various film sets. The actual time spent anywhere near a camera is minimal but at least I get to be in the environment.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
What do you guys think of the upcoming Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K? Those specs are INSANE.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
I have a question. I've noticed in a lot of movies and tv shows recently actors have this small diamond shaped scar on their forehead. I think it's too coincidental to be a coincidence. is it makeup or something and has something to do with shots?

Last edited:

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In need of advice as I live in the Central Valley in California and my dream has since ever been to be a filmmaker.

I wish to go somewhere cheap to learn and start working. Right now I'm looking at LA at Santa Monica College, cheap and looks good but LA can get very expensive.

Does anybody know any schools that would fit me, it's hard to move to another state for school because they would charge me out of state tuition.

But who knows, I do know that its time to follow my dream.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a Bolex H16. Anyone experience with that specific camera or shooting 16mm in general? I'm excited beyond believe.

I used a Bolex camera on my very first movies. It's pretty basic: crack it up, focus, and you have about a minute to shoot. It's amazing little camera and the results are stupid good.

I wish I still had the film stock or transferred it to digital to show.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Still can't share the commercial I shot a while back. It was a massive learning experience and it came out pretty cool. I'll share some stuff as soon as the campaign launches. In the meantime I'm editing another commercial I shot at the start of the week. Shot on Lomo anamorphic lenses which I've honestly been dreaming about shooting with every since I heard about them.

They look absolutely spectacular. The imperfections make the images look insanely beautiful and less digital. Not sure if I can ever go back to spherical lenses...

3E1ktA8.jpg

xHEUSNM.jpg

stxCHpj.jpg

jqHcHOP.jpg

OvHTNaA.jpg

I used a Bolex camera on my very first movies. It's pretty basic: crack it up, focus, and you have about a minute to shoot. It's amazing little camera and the results are stupid good.

I wish I still had the film stock or transferred it to digital to show.

Probably going to order some 250D and some 500T later today. Two of the three lenses are bit broken (focus ring is stuck) but the 14 or 16mm lens does work. Which seems like the most useful one to me. Looks a bit close to a 35 on a super 35mm sensor to me. What was your go to lens on the Bolex?

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
Sec0nd

Looks great.

In need of advice as I live in the Central Valley in California and my dream has since ever been to be a filmmaker.

I wish to go somewhere cheap to learn and start working. Right now I'm looking at LA at Santa Monica College, cheap and looks good but LA can get very expensive.

Does anybody know any schools that would fit me, it's hard to move to another state for school because they would charge me out of state tuition.

But who knows, I do know that its time to follow my dream.

I when I was looking at film schools 3-4 years ago the cost of going to a top american school was like 2-3x the cost of a top Europe school. So, it might be worth it to look at Europe.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thought y'all might get a kick outta this from r/cinematography, from a post "Can we make travel vlogs a bannable offense? I sort this sub by new and it's the same damn people every time"
SDklClP.png

nnex

Oct 27, 2017
Two of the three lenses are bit broken (focus ring is stuck) but the 14 or 16mm lens does work. Which seems like the most useful one to me.

Not that you asked, but if you end up needing any sort of repair/maintenance for your Bolex, check out a company called PROCAM in Arizona. They do great work and can probably fix those lenses for you.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody gone to Santa Monica College or knows somebody that has ? They have a film program and it doesn't look bad, they offer an associates or a ceretificate

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else struggle with impostor syndrome? I'm just starting to establish myself as a legitimate freelancer, but I'm terrified that I'm going to fuck up. Doesn't help that even though I'm working in a top 25 media market, the industry here is pretty tight-knit, so word travels fast.

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else struggle with impostor syndrome? I'm just starting to establish myself as a legitimate freelancer, but I'm terrified that I'm going to fuck up. Doesn't help that even though I'm working in a top 25 media market, the industry here is pretty tight-knit, so word travels fast.
I find that updating one's demo reel helps whenever one is feeling impostor syndrome; at least in terms of reminding you how easy it is to pick the best couple of minutes out of months of work, and that everyone else is doing the same.

Last edited:

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

During every production for sure.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
What's everyone's opinion of the newly released Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K footage? It just looks so damn good to me, as that extra dynamic range really shows. I'm trying to wait and see if it's a worthy investment, but it's looking good so far.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What's everyone's opinion of the newly released Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K footage? It just looks so damn good to me, as that extra dynamic range really shows. I'm trying to wait and see if it's a worthy investment, but it's looking good so far.

Blackmagic cameras always seem to boast incredible specs, especially for the price. But once their cameras are out I barely see them used. Real use footages I usually see doesn't seem all that better compared to the competitor cameras and they usually seem to have quirks that lead to usability issues. Such as crappy battery life or an impossibly small sensor.

Shooting RAW seems to be their main selling point. Which always seemed like the holy grail of filmmaking to me. But after having shot multiple projects on RED I realized I hyped myself up way more about RAW than was necessary. It's super nice to be able to change the white balance but everything else doesn't really matter.

Seeing the specs for the new BPCC it does indeed look interesting. And maybe a proper competitor to the GH5 cameras or the A7 line. But I'd wait for some proper reviews before jumping in.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Blackmagic cameras always seem to boast incredible specs, especially for the price. But once their cameras are out I barely see them used. Real use footages I usually see doesn't seem all that better compared to the competitor cameras and they usually seem to have quirks that lead to usability issues. Such as crappy battery life or an impossibly small sensor.

Shooting RAW seems to be their main selling point. Which always seemed like the holy grail of filmmaking to me. But after having shot multiple projects on RED I realized I hyped myself up way more about RAW than was necessary. It's super nice to be able to change the white balance but everything else doesn't really matter.

Seeing the specs for the new BPCC it does indeed look interesting. And maybe a proper competitor to the GH5 cameras or the A7 line. But I'd wait for some proper reviews before jumping in.

A great point. I am waiting on reviews myself, as their last few releases were hyped up and ended up being garbage, so we shall see how this plays out.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, especially when I use LUTs :P Seriously though, one thing that helped me was to find my own voice/style/niche (It takes time of course). Find out what makes you different.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What would be the camera that you would recommend to amateurs for price and cinematic quality?

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here using a Fuji X-T2 or planning to get a Fuji X-T3 for filmmaking?

I use a Sony FS7 usually for my work (it's not mine) but I want to invest in a small, mirrorless camera for traveling. For both photography and film (mostly photography). Just for my own projects.

The focus of the camera is stills, but the video quality seems superb as well with good features (f-log, 10-bit, 4k60fps etc.). The body is "only" $1500 and Fuji glass is supposed to be top quality. Based on the reviews/impressions the X-T2/3 blows away competitors ergonomic/stills/"fun"-wise in the same price class. Yeah, it might "lose" the battle versus the Sony newest Alpha series, but the price with a good lens is probably two times as much...

Sample footage of X-T3

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here using a Fuji X-T2 or planning to get a Fuji X-T3 for filmmaking?

I use a Sony FS7 usually for my work (it's not mine) but I want to invest in a small, mirrorless camera for traveling. For both photography and film (mostly photography). Just for my own projects.

The focus of the camera is stills, but the video quality seems superb as well with good features (f-log, 10-bit, 4k60fps etc.). The body is "only" $1500 and Fuji glass is supposed to be top quality. Based on the reviews/impressions the X-T2/3 blows away competitors ergonomic/stills/"fun"-wise in the same price class. Yeah, it might "lose" the battle versus the Sony newest Alpha series, but the price with a good lens is probably two times as much...

Sample footage of X-T3

I currently own a Panasonic G85, but I'm heavily debating between saving up for the Fuji X-T3 or waiting for them to announce the inevitable X-H2. Whatever happens, I feel pretty safe in betting that my next camera will be a Fuji.

Frankly I adore the color science on Fuji and their film simulation modes. I actually think I prefer Fuji's colors over Canon's, at least for my own personal preferences. Plus with the new Fringer EF-to-X Mount adapter that came out earlier this year, the X-T3 and other future video-leaning Fujis would be amazing matches with the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 lens.

Also, that footage of the X-T3 is gorgeous.

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
I currently own a Panasonic G85, but I'm heavily debating between saving up for the Fuji X-T3 or waiting for them to announce the inevitable X-H2. Whatever happens, I feel pretty safe in betting that my next camera will be a Fuji.

Frankly I adore the color science on Fuji and their film simulation modes. I actually think I prefer Fuji's colors over Canon's, at least for my own personal preferences. Plus with the new Fringer EF-to-X Mount adapter that came out earlier this year, the X-T3 and other future video-leaning Fujis would be amazing matches with the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 lens.

Also, that footage of the X-T3 is gorgeous.
I know their X-H line is (was?) their main video line, except the X-T3 blows it away in pretty much every aspect, except IBIS. I'm sure the X-H2 will be even better on the video front (internal 10-bit 4:2:2?), but I'm really pleased with the video specs for a stills camera with the X-T3. I just want a nice stills camera, with the possibility of shooting some good video footage (a portrait for example). I won't use it for (big) commercial shoots anyway. Also I love the size and weight.

Didn't knew about that adapter though. I would love some Sigma Art lenses for the Fuji.

Oct 25, 2017
I know their X-H line is (was?) their main video line, except the X-T3 blows it away in pretty much every aspect, except IBIS. I'm sure the X-H2 will be even better on the video front (internal 10-bit 4:2:2?), but I'm really pleased with the video specs for a stills camera with the X-T3. I just want a nice stills camera, with the possibility of shooting some good video footage (a portrait for example). I won't use it for (big) commercial shoots anyway. Also I love the size and weight.

Didn't knew about that adapter though. I would love some Sigma Art lenses for the Fuji.

Yeah, the X-H line was only introduced earlier this year and it's nuts how less than a year later, it's already being blown away in regards to video specs with the X-T3. I'm still in my early stages of my career, so a camera like the X-T3 or an X-H2 whenever that comes around would be right up my alley.

Yeah, here's a video showing the Fringer adapter off.

And Fuji's also started making some pretty sweet cine-lenses of their own for the E-mount and X-mount.

Last edited:

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
Got bumped up to AE at the start of August. I'm the only assistant on this project for the next few weeks and it's been getting pretty crazy lately but definitely the sort of trial by fire learning that I prefer.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would you guys agree that Los Angeles is the best place to be if you want to become a filmmaker and work in that industry?

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Would you guys agree that Los Angeles is the best place to be if you want to become a filmmaker and work in that industry?

Georgia is the top place for the most part since most studios opened up shop there. LA is still good, but it's starting to bleed talent because of living costs and studios being located elsewhere.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Georgia is the top place for the most part since most studios opened up shop there. LA is still good, but it's starting to bleed talent because of living costs and studios being located elsewhere.
thank you for the reply, I'm still trying to decide where I should head as I still need to learn about film making as well

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing with Resolve 15 and camera firmware update 6 beta with my Ursa Mini Pro.

From what I can tell:
  • Red/magenta cast is fixed! If anything, underexposed shadows may seem a little more cool sometimes.
  • Chroma noise is cleaned up and grain, in general, is a lot cleaner/good looking.
  • Seems like it's maybe a bit more sensitive, in some way, compared to Color Science v3/CinemaDNG. In my sample shots, of the same area and lighting setup, my shots on BRAW/v4.9 were cleaner and seemed a little brighter.
  • With all of the above in mind, plus how great the new enhanced Noise Reduction is (I wish I hadn't bought Neat Video now), you can push images a good deal more without degrading the image too much.
Keep in mind, I don't know how much of the above is attributed mainly to Blackmagic RAW and/or the Color Science v4.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017

The days before I release a music video/short film I feel like a total fraud.

Oct 25, 2017

Okay, in that price range, I'd suggest checking out (in no particular order):

- Nikon Z6, which comes out in November, but it's arguably the best option coming soon for full frame videomaking. Especially if you have an external recorder to be able to shoot in 4K 10bit.
- Sony A7iii, great old reliable full frame all-arounder.
- Panasonic GH5, easily the most video-focused camera in the price range. Its color science, auto focus and poor performance in low light are worth keeping in mind though.
- Fujifilm X-T3, APS-C sensor. Already praised it earlier.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, in that price range, I'd suggest checking out (in no particular order):

- Nikon Z6, which comes out in November, but it's arguably the best option coming soon for full frame videomaking. Especially if you have an external recorder to be able to shoot in 4K 10bit.
- Sony A7iii, great old reliable full frame all-arounder.
- Panasonic GH5, easily the most video-focused camera in the price range. Its color science, auto focus and poor performance in low light are worth keeping in mind though.
- Fujifilm X-T3, APS-C sensor. Already praised it earlier.
I appreciate the reply, I was looking at the black magic camera that's coming out soon but the ability of pictures and video seems like a good option

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Asking for a friend, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to get/find funding? My friend set up a crowdfunding page but he's struggling a bit.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Hi there,

Can someone help me with 360 cameras? We are currently looking into building a small vr and 360 lab, and we have our eyes on a insta360 pro 2 which appears to have good stabiliser and auto stitching.

Now we also need a powerful workstation and looking at a beefed up HP Z6 G4 Premium with a Nvidia Quadro p5000. Regarding the GPU, are consumer gaming cards better suited for this?