• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
You guys have any opinions on DCP-o-matic? Maybe other recommended software?

I never had to be the guy in charge of festival files before. I understand you can pay services to produce a DCP for you, but wondering if that's the norm or people make their own DCPs?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
At long last (okay about two months on a waiting list) - my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K is shipping, and should be with me Monday.

Obviously I then went out and bought a fresh lens and some accessories, which are all turning up before the camera itself hahaha.

I ended up going for the Olympus Pro 12-100mm, because I figured a zoom with some incredible reach would be pretty perfect for using the BMPCC4K as a mobile and flexible system. I grabbed a Tiffen variable ND filter (already had one, but sadly not in the lens thread size I needed) and a 1/4 mist filter to cut some of that digital sharpness. Was going to get a Hoya IR cut too, but weirdly I couldn't easily find a place with stock in the thread size I needed.

Also ordered the basic kit for the Tilta cage, as the tactical setup seemed a bit overkill for what I need at the moment. Also got a 1TB Samsung T5 SSD, and very much looking forward to trying out BRAW with this thing.

Already planning a little test shoot to get used to the quirks.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At long last (okay about two months on a waiting list) - my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K is shipping, and should be with me Monday.

Obviously I then went out and bought a fresh lens and some accessories, which are all turning up before the camera itself hahaha.

I ended up going for the Olympus Pro 12-100mm, because I figured a zoom with some incredible reach would be pretty perfect for using the BMPCC4K as a mobile and flexible system. I grabbed a Tiffen variable ND filter (already had one, but sadly not in the lens thread size I needed) and a 1/4 mist filter to cut some of that digital sharpness. Was going to get a Hoya IR cut too, but weirdly I couldn't easily find a place with stock in the thread size I needed.

Also ordered the basic kit for the Tilta cage, as the tactical setup seemed a bit overkill for what I need at the moment. Also got a 1TB Samsung T5 SSD, and very much looking forward to trying out BRAW with this thing.

Already planning a little test shoot to get used to the quirks.
How much did you spend in total?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
How much did you spend in total?
Approximately £2800, I think.

I'm not quite done spending on it yet, but it's enough to get out there and do some preliminary tests/personal projects and small contracts. I would have spent more if I didn't already have a tripod and a bunch of LP-E6 batteries already.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Approximately £2800, I think.

I'm not quite done spending on it yet, but it's enough to get out there and do some preliminary tests/personal projects and small contracts. I would have spent more if I didn't already have a tripod and a bunch of LP-E6 batteries already.
Not bad, I've seen that a lot of people use this camera, I was at a wedding and the the video Grapher was using it handheld with a prime lens

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Not bad, I've seen that a lot of people use this camera, I was at a wedding and the the video Grapher was using it handheld with a prime lens
Honestly, it is unparalleled as a bang for your buck camera. You're getting the performance of much larger and expensive cameras in a really manageable body. I use a Canon 80D for other work (personal branding, social media, fast turnaround stuff) and it blows my mind that the BMPCC4K is only around £250/£300 more for the body.

Ironically, I'd say handheld wedding stuff is not the best way to make this camera shine, but that's just me. It's versatile, but sadly no camera is 100% perfect for every single job videographers encounter. I'm genuinely chomping at the bit to take it out and shoot something observational or Koyaanisqatsi-ish.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it is unparalleled as a bang for your buck camera. You're getting the performance of much larger and expensive cameras in a really manageable body. I use a Canon 80D for other work (personal branding, social media, fast turnaround stuff) and it blows my mind that the BMPCC4K is only around £250/£300 more for the body.

Ironically, I'd say handheld wedding stuff is not the best way to make this camera shine, but that's just me. It's versatile, but sadly no camera is 100% perfect for every single job videographers encounter. I'm genuinely chomping at the bit to take it out and shoot something observational or Koyaanisqatsi-ish.
I want to upgrade up I suppose I'm just waiting until they announce the next bug thing, whatever it may be

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I want to upgrade up I suppose I'm just waiting until they announce the next bug thing, whatever it may be
I suppose I see the logic, but if you take that mentality far enough you'll be waiting forever. There's always something new and shiny around the corner, and at some point you need to pull the trigger.

Sometimes it's worth it though. I'm waiting on Aputure's RGB LED and their Colour Picker tech before I start investing in new lighting equipment, maybe even waiting for a version II or different form factor.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Finally selling my Ronin M today. Getting a decent amount for it, namely because I used it 3-4 times in 4 years and it's spotless.

Always felt too cumbersome for what it did. If I need one in the future I'll rent it.

TriniTrin

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Finally selling my Ronin M today. Getting a decent amount for it, namely because I used it 3-4 times in 4 years and it's spotless.

Always felt too cumbersome for what it did. If I need one in the future I'll rent it.
I have a crane v2 and barely use it. I decided yesterday actually to take it out and have it set up for smooth time-lapse movement and try to use it more.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Yeah those guys are nice, but definitely needed only for specific shoots. I got rid of mine and picked up a pistol grip gimbal and have been using it for everything.

The major problem is having to convince clients that a a7sii on one of them as a b-cam is acceptable. They see the tiny camera and assume you're cheaping out on them.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I have a crane v2 and barely use it. I decided yesterday actually to take it out and have it set up for smooth time-lapse movement and try to use it more.

I'm in between buying a Crane 2 and a Weebill. It will be for short films and travel, and I expect to have a 5.5" monitor on it most of the time. I'm leaning Crane 2 because it can handle more weight, but the Weebill seems to be the talk of YouTube?

Yeah those guys are nice, but definitely needed only for specific shoots. I got rid of mine and picked up a pistol grip gimbal and have been using it for everything.

The major problem is having to convince clients that a a7sii on one of them as a b-cam is acceptable. They see the tiny camera and assume you're cheaping out on them.

I just put a cage, a H5, a Rode Vid Mic Pro, and a wireless lav receiver onto an A6500 so the client wouldn't ask too many questions tomorrow. I know the pain of explaining "Trust me, this will look better than a HVX."

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone experienced with shooting a Bolex? Did some test shots yesterday but that viewfinder is absolutely atrocious. Especially when shooting at F11 or higher. I sometimes literally didn't see what I was shooting. Curious about the results. But how on Earth do you properly shoot with that thing?

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm in between buying a Crane 2 and a Weebill. It will be for short films and travel, and I expect to have a 5.5" monitor on it most of the time. I'm leaning Crane 2 because it can handle more weight, but the Weebill seems to be the talk of YouTube?

I just put a cage, a H5, a Rode Vid Mic Pro, and a wireless lav receiver onto an A6500 so the client wouldn't ask too many questions tomorrow. I know the pain of explaining "Trust me, this will look better than a HVX."
I just did a job for someone where I had a pretty kitted out fs7, shooting pride. We walk past another production team where they have like an a7s on a cheapo easyrig maybe a few other dohickies and the client turns to me and goes "damn now *thats* a nice rig.

The client was the same client who made it clear to me they didn't want dslrs or the like on the shoot like a week ago and I nixed ous a7s gimbal set up because I didn't have the fight in me for this project haha.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Just got a 502 Manfrotto head with 546 legs this week.

I'm not blown away by the setup... the static counterbalance weight is a bit much, and the level bubble is awfully hard to see. Anyone else own this head?

Anyone experienced with shooting a Bolex? Did some test shots yesterday but that viewfinder is absolutely atrocious. Especially when shooting at F11 or higher. I sometimes literally didn't see what I was shooting. Curious about the results. But how on Earth do you probably shoot with that thing?

I shot on one back in 2005 in college. Haven't used one since, but yeah... visibility is a pain on those if I remember correctly.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah I have a 502ah, it's ok. Smooth pans and can hold a lot of weight but I feel like the tensions are finicky and the locks are in stupid places.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Yeah I have a 502ah, it's ok. Smooth pans and can hold a lot of weight but I feel like the tensions are finicky and the locks are in stupid places.

I'm this close to returning it and spending a bit more for the Sachtler Ace 1001. It holds a little less, but I mean... variable countlerbalance + a visible level bubble might be worth it.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Just got a 502 Manfrotto head with 546 legs this week.

I'm not blown away by the setup... the static counterbalance weight is a bit much, and the level bubble is awfully hard to see. Anyone else own this head?

I shot on one back in 2005 in college. Haven't used one since, but yeah... visibility is a pain on those if I remember correctly.

I don't know. Manfrotto just hasn't impressed me with a lot of their products these past few years.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I don't know. Manfrotto just hasn't impressed me with a lot of their products these past few years.

Sachtler Ace 1001 vs. Manfrotto 502 w/ 546 legs.

Sachtler:
+Better build quality on the head
+Bubble level is more visible
+Variable counterbalance
+Easier to transport
-Less max weight
-$200 more expensive
-Cheaper legs
-No accessory mount

Manfrotto:
+Accessory mounts (2x)
+Higher payload (enough for a jib and slider)
+Better legs
+$200 cheaper
-Static counterbalance that's real overkill for mirrorless body + cage
-Bubble level will require a light to use on indoor shoots (WHY?!)

Typed this out to help me rationalize and decide which to go with... I suppose the Manfrotto is the way to go.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm this close to returning it and spending a bit more for the Sachtler Ace 1001. It holds a little less, but I mean... variable countlerbalance + a visible level bubble might be worth it.
That's close to what I have as my other tripod (fsb 8), if you don't need the weight, definitely get that (assuming it performs similarly), just as smooth but the variable counterbalance is so much nicer than constantly being pushed towards horizon if you don't have the exact right weight.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RED found to be lying about their proprietary RED minimag media?

Part 1 of a series to explain RED Digital Cinema:
A comprehensive and an essential guide to the RED MINI-MAG SSD memory card (512GB) every RED user and every cinematographer "MUST KNOW". Spoiler alert: You're about to unearth a big scandal in the digital cinema industry. RED claims they "invented" the RED MINI-MAG device, and they developed their own IP and SSD firmware for it, and that RED MINI-MAG has significantly less card errors than other companies using even reputable generic media, (and so theirs is superior to a generic one) and RED spends millions of dollars testing, certifying and QCing every media they ship. Red claims the RED MINI-MAG device is made in USA. RED also claims that (as of March 2017) RED MINI-MAG is a patented technology. More about Red patents in the upcoming future videos.

Basically, at least for some drives, RED has been claiming to have their own "special" firmware for their hard drives that makes them perform better/error less. These drives costs at least $2,000 each (for the 512GB model) but the components inside are actually Micron/Crucial generic parts that cost no more than $250 retail. Oh, and it's actually 480GB?? Not a good look, but I haven't read any rebuttal to it yet.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
anyone do any VR filming? I just got an insta360 evo and the limited things I've read recommend keeping eye level where possible as you're the viewers 'eyes'. But for the life of me I'm having difficulty finding compact/light eye level monopods with feet. Was hoping to avoid a tripod as the increased foot splay would be more visible in footage. I guess you could put a pole horizontally but now you're getting bulky and clunky fast.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Anyone try out the Ronin SC yet?

I own an A7iii, A6500, and A7S mk. 1, so I feel like the original Ronin S might be overkill? I'll likely only use it with primes or maybe the lightweight Tamron zooms.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
Starting a new gig next week as a lead AE. It'll be my first lead position so I'm v nervous but I know I'll be okay (not sure if my social life will be tho).

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone try out the Ronin SC yet?

I own an A7iii, A6500, and A7S mk. 1, so I feel like the original Ronin S might be overkill? I'll likely only use it with primes or maybe the lightweight Tamron zooms.
Haven't tried it out but have used the Ronin S a little with my Pocket 4k. It definitely tests the weight limit with a heavier lens (like Sigma 18-35mm) and counterweights. I feel like if you know the type of camera rigs you'll be building and are sure the SC can handle it, go with that. Otherwise, the S is a pretty safe choice and works flawlessly with those cams, as I understand.

I'm going to buy a gimbal soon but might go for the Feiyu AK4500. Seems like it has the best of a lot of gimbals and hasn't really been recognized, probably because their previous gimbals had a lot of issues.

It even has this sweet Wii like wand that let's you do smooth motion control without touching the camera. Not sure if I'd use it for anything but one thing I don't like about gimbals is the footage doesn't feel very organic compared to a steadi or something.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Haven't tried it out but have used the Ronin S a little with my Pocket 4k. It definitely tests the weight limit with a heavier lens (like Sigma 18-35mm) and counterweights. I feel like if you know the type of camera rigs you'll be building and are sure the SC can handle it, go with that. Otherwise, the S is a pretty safe choice and works flawlessly with those cams, as I understand.

I'm going to buy a gimbal soon but might go for the Feiyu AK4500. Seems like it has the best of a lot of gimbals and hasn't really been recognized, probably because their previous gimbals had a lot of issues.

It even has this sweet Wii like wand that let's you do smooth motion control without touching the camera. Not sure if I'd use it for anything but one thing I don't like about gimbals is the footage doesn't feel very organic compared to a steadi or something.

It will come down to what my next lens purchase is. I could throw my Sigma 30 1.4 onto my A6500 and call it a day, but I kinda want to get some full frame shots on the SC.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Shooting with a Bolex is absolutely dreadful. The viewfinder is atrocious making it near impossible to figure out what your shooting. But having just received the scans I'm absolutely in love. It's the most beautiful format I've ever seen and I'm going to try and find an excuse to shoot every future project on 16mm.

On one of my rolls I probably messed something up, causing transporting issues. But it honestly created one of the most beautiful images I've ever shot. So I would love to know if there is a way to force this error. Does anyone know how to do this?

AHiKav3.jpg

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Shooting with a Bolex is absolutely dreadful. The viewfinder is atrocious making it near impossible to figure out what your shooting. But having just received the scans I'm absolutely in love. It's the most beautiful format I've ever seen and I'm going to try and find an excuse to shoot every future project on 16mm.

On one of my rolls I probably messed something up, causing transporting issues. But it honestly created one of the most beautiful images I've ever shot. So I would love to know if there is a way to force this error. Does anyone know how to do this?

AHiKav3.jpg

Ah, the Bolex. I shot one film on a bolex and the final edit is sitting at home in a box.

As for the error in shipping, it looks like light leaked onto the film and exposed it in an off fashion? Maybe look into flashing film or intentionally exposing non-developed film.

dmshaposv

Oct 27, 2017
What are everyone's thoughts on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K?

Was looking into buying a c200 and thank fuck for blackmagic offering something better for half the price.

Canon is backed in the corner by blackmagic for undercutting their cinema line and sony for their mirrorless. The saving grace are the EF lenses as most ppl are too heavily invested into their lenses.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Damn, those Panasonic S1H specs:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/08/28/panasonic-s1h-full-specifications-announced/

Sony need to step up fast if they don't want me to ditch them.
Truly think they're pulling a Canon and just sitting on the next release until something like this. They already have the market share, so all they have to do is respond in a somewhat timely fashion and people aren't going to want to switch models when they can just wait a few months for an a7siii

...right?

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Truly think they're pulling a Canon and just sitting on the next release until something like this. They already have the market share, so all they have to do is respond in a somewhat timely fashion and people aren't going to want to switch models when they can just wait a few months for an a7siii

...right?

I also think something must be brewing, especially after them jumping to the A7R IV without doing A7S III first (and various rumours of patents and stuff, like always). It's not like I can afford the S1H right on release anyway. I'll wait and see, but hopefully I can get my hands on a new full frame beast this fall.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I think i posted this in a dead thread, sorry i'll delete the other post.

Sooo, we are finalists in the Internet & Social Media Video category at #labmecrazy Science Film Festival !

https://www.unav.edu/en/web/labmecrazy/screenings

With this very short (2mins) mildly disturbing not-really-a-documentary: Twins Undivided - The Two-Headed Calf.

You can also vote
for us
if you want , you don't need to register or anything.
VOTE HERE

Would like to read your thoughts as well of course

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I think i posted this in a dead thread, sorry i'll delete the other post.

Sooo, we are finalists in the Internet & Social Media Video category at #labmecrazy Science Film Festival !

https://www.unav.edu/en/web/labmecrazy/screenings

With this very short (2mins) mildly disturbing not-really-a-documentary: Twins Undivided - The Two-Headed Calf.

You can also vote
for us
if you want , you don't need to register or anything.
VOTE HERE

Would like to read your thoughts as well of course

Congratulations!

access tv

Oct 25, 2017
You guys have any opinions on DCP-o-matic? Maybe other recommended software?

I never had to be the guy in charge of festival files before. I understand you can pay services to produce a DCP for you, but wondering if that's the norm or people make their own DCPs?
Stumbled in to check this thread out, found this post!

I organize an annual film festival at my local theater. DCP-o-matic has made getting entries up on the big screen a breeze—I love it.

That said, it's free software. You get what you pay for! As a non-specialist (I don't package DCPs professionally) I imagine it'd be quite possible for me to make a garbage DCP, but our film fest has never been better since we started using it. I had zero experience with DCPs that first year, but sticking to the docs made packaging pretty painless.

Definitely read the documentation and check the community forums. I'd also HIGHLY recommend working with a theater to pre-screen the packages. . . just to be sure.

I recall testing a similar program—OpenDCP, I think it was?—but that didn't pan out. Like you, I looked at professional services and the cost for 15+ short films was really prohibitive, and I imagine that experience is pretty common.

What kind of film screening are you managing?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Stumbled in to check this thread out, found this post!

I organize an annual film festival at my local theater. DCP-o-matic has made getting entries up on the big screen a breeze—I love it.

That said, it's free software. You get what you pay for! As a non-specialist (I don't package DCPs professionally) I imagine it'd be quite possible for me to make a garbage DCP, but our film fest has never been better since we started using it. I had zero experience with DCPs that first year, but sticking to the docs made packaging pretty painless.

Definitely read the documentation and check the community forums. I'd also HIGHLY recommend working with a theater to pre-screen the packages. . . just to be sure.

I recall testing a similar program—OpenDCP, I think it was?—but that didn't pan out. Like you, I looked at professional services and the cost for 15+ short films was really prohibitive, and I imagine that experience is pretty common.

What kind of film screening are you managing?
We were screening 6 short films in our local theater, between 5 and 30 minutes. At the end the projectionists interceded for us, since they also do a lot of student films there, I think they already had a way to screen a wider variety of files, we just handed him ProRes files.

access tv

Oct 25, 2017
We were screening 6 short films in our local theater, between 5 and 30 minutes. At the end the projectionists interceded for us, since they also do a lot of student films there, I think they already had a way to screen a wider variety of files, we just handed him ProRes files.

Hey, those are some nice folks—love community theaters. And you're probably right about the file playback. I can't imagine they have students individually packaging things.

With enough testing and transcoding time I'm confident you could package 6 films independently with confidence. In my experience, configuring video is pretty simple and the gUI makes it clear what you can expect.

Audio's tougher—I'm reading up on that right now myself.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here have experience with previs tools? Inexpensive, preferably, ahah.

We have a music video shoot on the 29th in a little warehouse and are going to be doing some set fabrication throughout it. I have been playing with SketchUp and Unreal Engine, with some success.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody used the Panasonic S1? I was thinking about buying an S1H, but realised that the S1 is half the price.
I'm not sure the difference between them is big enough for me to splash all that cash on the S1H.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
For those who film and edit, how does your editing day rate compare to your rate for DPing?

Starting to do a lot more editing and always feel like I'm under selling myself as I'm giving a lower rate, but it's in line with other editors I know Soo idk. I feel like it should be the same minus kit fees cuz a day is a day, but just wanna see what other people say

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those who film and edit, how does your editing day rate compare to your rate for DPing?

Starting to do a lot more editing and always feel like I'm under selling myself as I'm giving a lower rate, but it's in line with other editors I know Soo idk. I feel like it should be the same minus kit fees cuz a day is a day, but just wanna see what other people say
$500 a day (roughly $50/hr, depending on your days) is pretty fair. I got an editing gig with a local studio and that's what they're paying me.

I did some digital content for a well known brand recently and they paid me $75/hr for the edit and $750 as my 1 day DP rate (I actually am going to try for $900/day next time, because I didn't realize that rate included my own kit rental).

I personally will adjust my rates based on the client. Working with smaller businesses/smaller clients makes it a little harder to charge those premium rates. But, if it's a big brand/business/corporation, go big.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
$500 a day (roughly $50/hr, depending on your days) is pretty fair. I got an editing gig with a local studio and that's what they're paying me.

I did some digital content for a well known brand recently and they paid me $75/hr for the edit and $750 as my 1 day DP rate (I actually am going to try for $900/day next time, because I didn't realize that rate included my own kit rental).

I personally will adjust my rates based on the client. Working with smaller businesses/smaller clients makes it a little harder to charge those premium rates. But, if it's a big brand/business/corporation, go big.
Yeah those are similar to the rates I'm working with and proposing for editing, good to know I'm not completely off the mark here re: editing rates. Guess it makes sense, dping I wind up doing a lot of 'free' work before the shoot and they're generally way more intense days than a (hopefully) chill day of editing. Just newer to it in a professional sense, so lacking frame of reference.