• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 14, 2018
This isn't fake. There's no way someone could fake all of that. I will say that the movement animations need doing again, though.

I don't think it's Rocksteady, they're too busy with Justice League: Crisis to be doing this. I heard it was Avalanche doing this. VGA reveal?

Not saying it is them, but is anyone else getting Frogwares vibes? (Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments.) Maybe it's just because it's British and 19th century.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, hard to judge based off of just that but... I dunno that looked kinda uninteresting as far as an HP game is concerned. Would've liked to see some Quiditch, Buckbeak, Dementors as well as the iconic characters of the franchise. What was there was... generic really can't find the right words lol.

It looks real enough though so maybe the official reveal comes with more exciting details.

Given the setting is 1800s I dunno which characters they could pull in? Dumbledore would be a teacher I guess, but it's before Newt's time. I figure it'll just be references to the mythology and timeless things like the Sorting Hat, and maybe the ghosts. I kinda prefer it that way, honestly. Gives them more free reign.

I'm personally hoping the "making friends" is in-depth. Give me social links, dang it.

(edited cos I misread the press release. Looks a bit too late for the 1800s honestly?)

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Also, whatever this footage is, it isn't a ready-to-go trailer. Unfinished text elements just sitting around in the character creator:

http:///iOVc.jpg

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, my excitement dropped little by little. First the thread title implied it was Rocksteady, then it was changed to Avalanche, and I thought it was the Just Cause and Mad Max makers, now it seems to be some studio that's mainly focused on licenced, mediocre games. :/
Disney Infinity was alright for what it was.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Is this likely to be GAAS-ized out the wazoo?

No, it's a single player RPG from what leaked from job listings months ago. Studio could be anyone but Rocksteady is a Warner Bros. studio...so who knows, but so is Avalanche, and other studios. So at this point, we have to wait and see.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Looks crazy good. Can't see how it wouldn't be real. Animations seem rough but presumably it's still a year or more away so there's plenty of time for improvement.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just give me broomstick traversing with quidditch gameplay, and dragon fights.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, my excitement dropped little by little. First the thread title implied it was Rocksteady, then it was changed to Avalanche, and I thought it was the Just Cause and Mad Max makers, now it seems to be some studio that's mainly focused on licenced, mediocre games. :/
They did develop Toy Story 3, which ranks among the best licensed games ever made, IMHO.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is my dream game if it is indeed real. A legitimately awesome development studio making a AAA HP game ... pinch me

Just in case you didn't notice, It's neither Rocksteady (first in the thread title) nor the Avalanche Studios that are making this game. It's made by a not so wellknown studio that put out mediocre to okay, licenced games so far. I don't think this is going to be AAA. :/

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
something i didnt know i wanted but now i totally need

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, whatever this footage is, it isn't a ready-to-go trailer. Unfinished text elements just sitting around in the character creator:

http:///iOVc.jpg

This is likely something that's mostly in studio mock ups / tests.

This game isnt releasing I dont believe until like 2020

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
This is the Harry Potter game that should've always existed. "Sandbox Create-a-Wizard Hogwarts Action RPG" is among the most obvious games ever.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Just in case you didn't notice, It's neither Rocksteady (first in the thread title) nor the Avalanche Studios that are making this game. It's made by a not so wellknown studio that put out mediocre to okay, licenced games so far. I don't think this is going to be AAA. :/

...Hm? We don't know who's making it. Nothing is confirmed and that was all assumption initially.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry but where are you getting this info? Didn't see it in the OP.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Another interesting thing to note: in the Character Creator screen you can see the distinctive Playstation d-pad design, whereas later during gameplay you can see UI icons for B, Y and RT.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
...We don't know who's making it. Nothing is confirmed and that was all assumption initially. Even the title of the topic changed so I don't know what you mean by a not so well known studio because we still don't know who's making it.

Sorry but where are you getting this info? Didn't see it in the OP.

The thread title and OP were changed multiple times. First it was Rocksteady, then Avalanche Studios, now we don't know? I can't keep up anymore, lol.

You know more? :)

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I don't want to get my hopes up just yet, but damn if done right this is such an instant purchase...

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Another interesting thing to note: in the Character Creator screen you can see the distinctive Playstation d-pad design, whereas later during gameplay you can see UI icons for B, Y and RT.

I think this was meant to be shown as a concept idea to the studio to showcase in meetings and how the development is moving along. I don't think we were meant to see this and I don't think this is the final product whatsoever.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Wait, despite the video showing how the game looks and plays, you discredit everything because the studio is not that well-known?

I don't understand this narrative here.

Oct 25, 2017
EA's old Harry Potter games went to shit with Goblet of Fire because they moved away from the "open world Hogwarts" formula they had in Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban (and PS1 version of Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone).

I just want some of that again.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Something about this doesn't seem AAA, or it's an internal video that wasn't met to be released.

The movement looks really low budget, the environments look like a 2013/2014 game, and the characters look meh.

It also features way fewer cutscenes than I would expect a proper trailer to.

What's weirdest to me is seeing one young wizard mow down a bunch of enemies. I feel like a Harry Potter rpg would definitely have a party of characters with you.

Oct 26, 2017
Any studio, at any time, can create a AAA game. What do you honestly think goes into a AAA game?

OP
OP
Chaserjoey

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
EA's old Harry Potter games went to shit with Goblet of Fire because they moved away from the "open world Hogwarts" formula they had in Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban (and PS1 version of Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone).

5 and 6 became completely open world Hogwarts and they were fantastic. Fucked if I know what the hell they were thinking with 7 and 7-2.

Something about this doesn't seem AAA, or it's an internal video that wasn't met to be released.

The movement looks really low budget, the environments look like a 2013/2014 game, and the characters look meh.

It also features way fewer cutscenes than I would expect a proper trailer to.
This was probably an internal video that was never intended to be released, even in the future.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

The Order of The Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince for PS3 had a full open-world Hogwarts (and the flick-it system of Skate to cast spells).