• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
"Ziggy" from Xenosaga ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust is his song/alter ego)

BUvP1FU.png

"Sellers" from Xenosaga ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dr. Strangelove (played by Peter Sellers)

7s9ncci.png

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading in a magazine (back in the 90's) that Dan was designed as a mockery of SNK characters. Don't know if it's true or not.
Yes, Dan's moves are almost 1:1 the same as Ryo from Art of Fighting, minus the inputs, as well as having Robert's head straight up, which was supposed to be a reference to Ryo being a Ryu ripoff. So in return, SNK made Yuri as a comic relief character based off of Dan.

There's a lot of back and forth between the two companies tbh.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
The House of the Dead series producers have gone on record that the playable characters (or at least the female character) is modeled after a semi popular movie star at the time of production.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Having recently gotten into the Anime and Manga, Yojiro Hanma (aka "Ogre") from the Grappler Baki series proves that Capcom plagarized the shit out of him with Akuma.

1kssrbcuqoa21.jpg

-Both have red hair

-Both are obsessed with fighting strong opponents

-Both "groom" the main character from their respective series to grow stronger so that one day they can have an epic battle against them

-Both have a "demon" motiff

-Both have a trademark pose where they show their back to the camera

-Both typically like to battle opponents to the death

-They even have similar moves, such as the dive kick

You could apply this to nearly every classic Street Fighter character. Capcom gave no shits and pretty much cribbed from all sorts of sources (JoJo, Battle Angel Alita, Fist of the North Star, Doomed Megopolis, etc).

As a huge SF fan that knows very little about anime, can you provide more examples? These are interesting to me. I've seen some of the JoJo ones like Guile and someone else but never the others you mentioned.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Dan's moves are almost 1:1 the same as Ryo from Art of Fighting, minus the inputs, as well as having Robert's head straight up, which was supposed to be a reference to Ryo being a Ryu ripoff. So in return, SNK made Yuri as a comic relief character based off of Dan.

There's a lot of back and forth between the two companies tbh.
Yuri also mastered the Satsui no Hado
polishedfaithfuljelly1yjhk.gif

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
latest

inspector-zenigata.jpg

Well, no complaints here.
Woah.
Astral Chain takes a lot of inspiration from Evangelion. Just in the very intro alone, with the activation sequence of the Sword Legion, is straight up the activation test episode 5 from Evangelion, down the cybernetic mech monster beating on the glass while the sinister commander looks on (though dispassionately like Rei does in a repeat of that in a later episode).

The whole "weird apocalypse that forces humanity into last cities" setup (redshifting/the Ark in Astral Chain, Second Impact/Tokyo-3 in Evangelion), Yoseph as a sinister bespectacled bearded scientist/commander of "NEURON" (aka Gendo Ikari, the sinister bespectacled bearded scientist commander of "NERV"). The Legions themselves are extremely EVA-like in their sharp, angular design and screaming mouths, and as cyborg versions of the main enemy monsters of the game, with their "armor" actually being restraints to keep them under control.

mKt7mjE.jpg
Zmy7MEr.jpg

Also the weird cabal of prophets who berate Yoseph early on are straight up SEELE from Evangelion, down to being data projections on geometric screens who complain about how Yoseph is wasting their time and money.

QxRAXlc.png

mtebzmQ.png

Oh, and in case it isn't made obvious enough, one of the first preset color schemes you can unlock for your Legions are EVA Unit 01 colors:

jpB7ZMV.jpg
JhKzNzq.png
I have this game sealed on my desk. I gotta play it soon after reading this.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I see no mention of the races of Starcraft being blatant copies of the Imperium, Eldar and Tyranids from Warhammer 40k

Astral Chain takes a lot of inspiration from Evangelion
I have more to add

- The Legions are controlled via neurological syncronisation
- Achieving a high enough sync rate cause you to fuse into your Legion
- You are deposed by mass production Legions, who are controlled by a series of clones
- Yoseph's plan is just Instrumentality

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
Namco doesn't stop at just borrowing character's likenesses.

Compare to

Christie has in poses copied from Britney Spears dances, Violet does Michael Jackson dances.

The new Leroy Smith character is definitely going to have some moves lifted from the Ip Man Movies.

Chin Gentsai from King of Fighters
chin45_small.jpg

Yuen Siu-tien AKA Sam Seed
sam17.jpg

SNZ.gif

Last edited:

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Shun Di from Virtua Fighter 2 and Beggar So from Drunken Master. If you're not familiar then they may not look too similar outside of old men who like a drink but Shun's Drunken Boxing moveset is clearly inspired by the Drunken Master films.

5JxNUYl3_o.jpg

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I see no mention of the races of Starcraft being blatant copies of the Imperium, Eldar and Tyranids from Warhammer 40k

I have more to add

- The Legions are controlled via neurological syncronisation
- Achieving a high enough sync rate cause you to fuse into your Legion
- You are deposed by mass production Legions, who are controlled by a series of clones
- Yoseph's plan is just Instrumentality

While you're right about 40k, Tyranids started looking more like Zerg after statecraft came out. IIRC it was 2nd edition Tyranids that started to look more like the modern incarnation, although they were similar before, just less insectoid.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
Shun Di from Virtua Fighter 2 and Beggar So from Drunken Master. If you're not familiar then they may not look too similar outside of old men who like a drink but Shun's Drunken Boxing moveset is clearly inspired by the Drunken Master films.
5JxNUYl3_o.jpg
win_chin.png

Chin not only fights like him, he looks like him too!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Geese Howard from Fatal Fury
a16.jpg

Souther from Fist of the North Star

0bb8b75eb7cd69f03934300dc2cd4d1007c71da5.jpg

It's pretty much a homage. Geese even uses one of Souther's attacks. They just gave it back to him in season 3 of Tekken 7 too.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Last edited:
OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Yo did miyamoto base the first donkey Kong game after this Popeyes scan?

the left image is a mockup, but one based on truth: Donkey Kong was originally conceived as a Popeye game with Bluto filling the DK role and Olive Oyl filling Pauline's. And of course Popeye in place of Mario.

Once DK became a hit, Nintendo was able to secure the rights to actually make a Popeye game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Geese Howard from Fatal Fury
a16.jpg

Souther from Fist of the North Star

0bb8b75eb7cd69f03934300dc2cd4d1007c71da5.jpg

It's pretty much a homage. Geese even uses one of Souther's attacks. They just gave it back to him in season 3 of Tekken 7 too.
Somehow I never twigged on the similarities of the two. And somehow this only makes Geese even more awesome than he previously was.

Oct 27, 2017
Yo did miyamoto base the first donkey Kong game after this Popeyes scan?

While Donkey Kong was originally a Popeye game that Miyamoto filled with his own characters once Nintendo lost the license, I'm pretty sure that the image on the left (Popeye) is actually a modern reinterpretation of the picture on the right (Donkey Kong) and not the other way around. So, there's really no "plagiarism" here, but rather a "what if" scenario.

Deleted member 1659

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I probably shouldn't dignify this with a response, but who are you suggesting is a rip-off of who?

Duke is probably one of the rare examples of characters who've had their personality ripped-off (in Duke's case from about a dozen 80's action movie characters) but not their design.

Duke Nukem is also unique in that the original iteration of his character (1991) was actually supposed to be serious. He was modeled after 80's action movie characters at a time when they were still culturally relevant. The 1996 and best known version of him (Duke Nukem 3D) however came out at a time when that type of archtype was no longer culturally relevant so he evolved into a parody of them ala Rayner Wolfcastle from the Simpsons. By the time Duke Nukem Forever came out in 2011, so much time had past that even the parody of those characters were a tired joke. It'd be like making a "Whats uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup?" reference in 2019.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
So if we combine David Bowie and Bruce Lee, we have the ultimate video game character