• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Xenomorphs and Facehuggers in Contra (Almost the whole Xenomorphs life cycle is in this game!).

bfb3_contra-finalboss.jpg

Also Jean Claude Van Damme and Johnny Cage (Mortal Kombat).

mccf_cgz4fafwqaavgqi.jpg

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
921.jpg

...Of course Googling 'Felix the cat Sonic' produced results with images of Mickey Mouse giving birth to Sonic being delivered by Felix the Cat

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
The Ultimate Warrior - Streets of Rage 3rd boss

Freddy Kruger - Streets of Rage 2nd boss and a boss in Crime Fighters 1

Hulk Hogan - a boss in Burning Fight

Jason - a boss in Crime Fighters and an enemy in the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden

Vader, Road Warriors and Demolition are pretty much in every beat em up in the 90's.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Star Craft - Warhammer 40K

SSC11346_i.jpg
img5b8e3289b8ae8.jpg

latest
3877224-1339237681-28732.jpg

Z0BrP4h.jpg
tumblr_ovpe3ec4M11uym32uo1_500.jpg

(of course the real crappy part is that all the designs they stole actually ended up looking worse too)

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I was always convinced DOOM's Cacodemon image was a copy of Dungeons&Dragons' Beholder drawings, because it's very clearly a Beholder.

Turns out it was actually stolen from a different monster.

May 13, 2019
Ricardo Banderas from Xenogears

latest

Blanka from Street Fighter:

latest

The character designer form Xenogears actually commented on the similarities in the XG artbook.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There's a few of these in Space Quest VI, but then again those games were all about spoofs.

sq6-1.png

And this dude is supposed to be a cross between a Terminator and Roy Batty from Blade Runner
endodroid.gif

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
From what I learned in this thread is that there is a fair bit of characters inspired by David Bowie.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
This thread is for very original video game character designs that definitely weren't nicked from anywhere else.

Here's a few I had in mind:

Jazz Jackrabbit and Bucky' O'Hare:
Jazz_Jackrabbit_2.PNG
latest

The Machine (Turrican series) and Galactus (Marvel comics):

latest
galactus_by_espaidercito.jpg

Nemesis (Resident Evil series) and Chatterer (Hellraiser):

s-l400.jpg
chatterer02.jpg

Helghast (Killzone) and Kerberos Panzer Cops (Jin Roh)
txlPji.jpg
5T23

post more.

Jin-Roh is such a fantastic film.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Has any other videogame movie been so influential on its source material? Didn't they also make Kano Australian because of the movie's actor?

Well, not live action, but the Street Fighter Alpha series' dramatic battle mode, grassland stage and intro, buff Bison design were all heavily inspired by the SF2 animated movie. They even included a brainwashed Ken boss battle before the Bison battle for Ryu in Alpha 3.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
monsterparty-delgfx1duk7n.png

One boss in Monster Party is just Audrey II. The final localized version actually removed the speaker and microphone to try to make it less blatant.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
921.jpg

...Of course Googling 'Felix the cat Sonic' produced results with images of Mickey Mouse giving birth to Sonic being delivered by Felix the Cat
Sonic's a case of literal inspiration though, rather than virtually replicating a design. Even if that particular pose is modelled after characters like Felix.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Having recently gotten into the Anime and Manga, Yojiro Hanma (aka "Ogre") from the Grappler Baki series proves that Capcom plagarized the shit out of him with Akuma.

1kssrbcuqoa21.jpg

-Both have red hair

-Both are obsessed with fighting strong opponents

-Both "groom" the main character from their respective series to grow stronger so that one day they can have an epic battle against them

-Both have a "demon" motiff

-Both have a trademark pose where they show their back to the camera

-Both typically like to battle opponents to the death

-They even have similar moves, such as the dive kick

You could apply this to nearly every classic Street Fighter character. Capcom gave no shits and pretty much cribbed from all sorts of sources (JoJo, Battle Angel Alita, Fist of the North Star, Doomed Megopolis, etc).

What's the Battle Angel reference?

Lunoir

Aug 31, 2019
Massachusetts
I know the Dark Souls / Berserk connection is pretty well-known, but it didn't really hit me until I finally started reading Berserk and came across the serpent guy:
berserk-1555373.jpg
Serpent_mage.jpg

(there are greatsword-wielding serpents in dark souls that look more similar but I couldn't find a good head-on shot)

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I never realized how much of an impact David Bowie had on video games.

Some of these feel like reaching, similar clothing style or a common mythological source doesn't necessarily mean inspired.

I probably shouldn't dignify this with a response, but who are you suggesting is a rip-off of who?

Duke is probably one of the rare examples of characters who've had their personality ripped-off (in Duke's case from about a dozen 80's action movie characters) but not their design.

Pretty sure it's a reference to Overwatch character being similar to Hi-Rez's Global Agenda characters. List of similarities here, some are a stretch but others are really on the nose.