• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
QwfvAn1.jpg

That looks like some Simpsons tier Manic MailMan copying.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Inspector Zenigata from the Lupin III manga/anime series. Another dogged law enforcer usually used for comedy relief who often finds common cause with the thief protagonist.
Thanks. I know I've heard of the show before (at least the name) and it appears it's on Amazon Prime video. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

I'm pretty sure I remember Ellen Page at least saying something about The Last of Us, something about how she didn't like them using someone who looked like her and that's she already in this other game (Beyond: Two Souls).

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Baiken from Guilty Gear was basically a female Kenshin

latest

Her newest design looks nothing like him anymore lmao

Oct 25, 2017
I know the Dark Souls / Berserk connection is pretty well-known, but it didn't really hit me until I finally started reading Berserk and came across the serpent guy:
berserk-1555373.jpg
Serpent_mage.jpg

(there are greatsword-wielding serpents in dark souls that look more similar but I couldn't find a good head-on shot)
You also have:
ppP8AxX.jpg

soul.jpg

This is close enough.
Plus:
Logarius'_Wheel_Cainhurst_Armor.jpg

latest

Not to mention:
87108.jpg

ds3_cathedral_evangelist_4.jpg

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I know the Dark Souls / Berserk connection is pretty well-known, but it didn't really hit me until I finally started reading Berserk and came across the serpent guy:
berserk-1555373.jpg
Serpent_mage.jpg

(there are greatsword-wielding serpents in dark souls that look more similar but I couldn't find a good head-on shot)

To be fair, when it comes to basic monster designs the Souls series (like Final Fantasy OG and many others) could just as easily be aping classic D&D. The snakemen are very much Yuan-Ti, the Tower of Latria enemies were just Mind Flayers, etc. You almost don't even have to include an accreditation for ripping off the Monster Manual, it's so common. (Not unlike David Bowie rips.)

As far as Berserk rips go, Dragon's Dogma actually gets a bit more on-the-nose with it. It's not until Artorias that Souls really makes the full monte, but you can basically just whip up Guts in chargen in DD.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
The Souls series has very many clear inspirations from Berserk, but most blatant of them is Artorias, a great swordsman consumed by darkness and isn't Guts at all, definitely not.
VRHANZM.png

My personal favourite is how Random Hajile from Snatcher is just 100% Sting in David Lynch's Dune, though.
1uQYUoM.png

1iRGgtF.png

H9IEFW3.png

HhkLkxQ.png

Like, seriously.

Ky Kiske (Guilty Gear) / Lars Ul Meta-Licana (Bastard)

latest
latest
dang, not only is the outfit almost exactly identical, but Lars' sword is almost identical to the Moonlight Greatsword, down to the translucent blade.
IeAdKkd.png

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I will give Souls credit with their Artorias-is-not-Guts shot: unlike virtually every other pose rip in here, they actually cleaned up and improved the composition.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
My favourite genre of this is when older games just straight up traced photographs of celebrities and put it in their games. One of the best is in Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet, which featured totally not Jack Nicholson.
MrIdgod.png

hWeN6ZP.png

The original MSX version of Metal Gear 2 was also full of this.

LjDMmk8.png

More here: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tracing/tracing6.htm

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Niko's design and likeness from GTAIV is straight-up lifted from the bad guy from the movie Behind Enemy Lines:

sdQOuQN.jpg

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, when it comes to basic monster designs the Souls series (like Final Fantasy OG and many others) could just as easily be aping classic D&D. The snakemen are very much Yuan-Ti, the Tower of Latria enemies were just Mind Flayers, etc. You almost don't even have to include an accreditation for ripping off the Monster Manual, it's so common. (Not unlike David Bowie rips.)

As far as Berserk rips go, Dragon's Dogma actually gets a bit more on-the-nose with it. It's not until Artorias that Souls really makes the full monte, but you can basically just whip up Guts in chargen in DD.
This is kind of weird to say since most of Dragon's Dogmas monster gallery is straight out airlifted from D&D while Fromsoft games have very direct and distinct stuff from Berserk. The really iconic stuff, like Beast of Darkness, Guts' version of the Berserker armor etc. That is not to say that DD doesn't have Berserk stuff in it, including the golden age Griffith and Guts' gear and the not-Casca Lady Mercedes and Zodd. It is just that Souls is more Berserk and DD is more D&D.

Last edited:

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
"Berserk and Jojo references in video games: the thread"
Seriously.

I was mild on the stuff you get with the Digital Deluxe version of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne and didn't think it all fit that well until I saw that you can combine the Silver Knight set and the new Long Wavy Hair to just make Griffith. It's not quite as blatant as DD, but it's still super easy to do.

My contribution:
gai-2000striker.jpg

Gai Tendo, from Buriki One and would later appear in KOF.

Also totally not Baki from Grappler Baki. No sir, not at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising seeing the original 12 were all pulled heavily from stereotypes at a minimum.

I only know of jojo stuff from the fighter...and only basically that it existed ha. Played it but never stuck.
Jojo runs deep in the Street Fighter line lol.
Seriously.

I was mild on the stuff you get with the Digital Deluxe version of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne and didn't think it all fit that well until I saw that you can combine the Silver Knight set and the new Long Wavy Hair to just make Griffith. It's not quite as blatant as DD, but it's still super easy to do.

My contribution:
gai-2000striker.jpg

Gai Tendo, from Buriki One and would later appear in KOF.

Also totally not Baki from Grappler Baki. No sir, not at all.
Look at this non swole ass looking Baki.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of JoJo and Street Fighter:

Juri Han: Has those twin hair bun things, the strap top, a bug motif (spiders).

0R5WEKU.jpg

WuAROSL.png

Jolyne Kujo (JoJo Part 6): ...yeah, except it's a butterfly instead of a spider (though her power allows her to create 'strings' like spider threads, and Juri is shown kicking a butterfly in half in one of her artwork)

LBR6hIB.jpg

qjGlwLr.png

bLRrSwl.jpg

Oh, and there's this:

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of JoJo and Street Fighter:

Juri Han: Has those twin hair bun things, the strap top, a bug motif (spiders).

0R5WEKU.jpg

WuAROSL.png

Jolyne Kujo (JoJo Part 6): ...yeah, except it's a butterfly instead of a spider (though her power allows her to create 'strings' like spider threads, and Juri is shown kicking a butterfly in half in one of her artwork)

LBR6hIB.jpg

qjGlwLr.png

bLRrSwl.jpg

Oh, and there's this:

I was trying so hard not to post this one.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This one also featured the T-800, spiderman, batman and godzilla

And Rambo in the stage featuring crushed cars!

Policenauts

7e10c038ac8395c2360e6bf8035c76a6.jpg

SNATCHER

tumblr_p5n3f6nRua1tg07vxo1_500.jpg

Not to mention in Policenauts that Chris Goldwin is clearly "based on" Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct, Victor Jurgens is clearly "based on" Albert Einstein and Salvatore Toscanini is clearly "based on" Joe Pesci.

And in Snatcher Harry Benson is a rip off of Tom Skerrit as Dallas from Alien, the Snatchers are clearly ripping off the T-800 Terminator models and that Freddie Nielsen is a rip off of Rutger Hauer (Roy Batty) in Blade Runner. Kojima has always been skirting the line with his "homages" to really being more like a pastiche.

Suprised it took this long for someone to say that Mega Man is a "homage" to Astro Boy.

Yup and here's another "homage" from the same game:

184500-rosenberg.jpg

MV5BMTc3ODU4MTY5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODUwNTgwMw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,755,1000_AL_.jpg

Ken Rosenburg is clearly not based on Sean Penn's lawyer character in Carlito's Way, nope, definitely not.

Regarding From Software and Berserk:

DiReIrv.jpg

lpue4Ql.jpg

Vo57iTL.png

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anything Ike is probably Golden Age era Guts
6279891-golden%20age%20guts.jpg

You're absolutely right. I just couldn't be bothered to find a better match because I was at work.
Truth is, Ike has the clothes of Golden Age Guts, but the more mature expression of post-Golden Age Guts. Specifically the latter arcs as opposed to the Black Swordsman/Conviction arcs where he's super edgy. Even in the pic you posted, he looks a bit more younger and naive than Ike.

Araki is a great mangaka, but... What the hell is wrong with Jolyne's left hand here? Is Araki channeling Picasso's cubism or something?

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Actual inspiration for Link was this though

giphy.gif

Tom Cruise's Jack in Legend
Yeah the whole movie really. Anyone's whose seen it will feel the similarities from top to bottom. But more importantly I think this wasn't really that evident until the games became 3D, starting from Ocarina of time. That game really laid its inspiration on thick.
legend_c_758_426_81_s.jpg

The whole Triforce Trio (notice Cruise's lack of pants, which will forever become a trademark of Link):
910c88e4a2ef2bec15cf071371f3bc1c.jpg

09cfff947f8d1fd4fb760be2f643aa6d.jpg

51YN6pQP5ML.jpg

The eccentric woodland side characters...
eb875eb80cd18b9cca15ab54e6a17540.jpg

fairies.jpg

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the whole movie really. Anyone's whose seen it will feel the similarities from top to bottom. But more importantly I think this wasn't really that evident until the games became 3D, starting from Ocarina of time. That game really laid its inspiration on thick.
legend_c_758_426_81_s.jpg

The whole Triforce Trio (notice Cruise's lack of pants, which will forever become a trademark of Link):

The eccentric woodland side characters...

Is Legend actually any good? Never seen it.

Oct 25, 2017
And Rambo in the stage featuring crushed cars!

Not to mention in Policenauts that Chris Goldwin is clearly "based on" Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct, Victor Jurgens is clearly "based on" Albert Einstein and Salvatore Toscanini is clearly "based on" Joe Pesci.

And in Snatcher Harry Benson is a rip off of Tom Skerrit as Dallas from Alien, the Snatchers are clearly ripping off the T-800 Terminator models and that Freddie Nielsen is a rip off of Rutger Hauer (Roy Batty) in Blade Runner. Kojima has always been skirting the line with his "homages" to really being more like a pastiche.

Suprised it took this long for someone to say that Mega Man is a "homage" to Astro Boy.

Yup and here's another "homage" from the same game:

184500-rosenberg.jpg

MV5BMTc3ODU4MTY5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODUwNTgwMw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,755,1000_AL_.jpg

Ken Rosenburg is clearly not based on Sean Penn's lawyer character in Carlito's Way, nope, definitely not.

Regarding From Software and Berserk:

DiReIrv.jpg

lpue4Ql.jpg

Vo57iTL.png
Holy shit this is good.
You're absolutely right. I just couldn't be bothered to find a better match because I was at work.
Truth is, Ike has the clothes of Golden Age Guts, but the more mature expression of post-Golden Age Guts. Specifically the latter arcs as opposed to the Black Swordsman/Conviction arcs where he's super edgy. Even in the pic you posted, he looks a bit more younger and naive than Ike.
Luckily for Guts this is before his life got refucked up. I have no idea what Ike has been through though.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
This is less about characters and more about the setting/vehicles/world, but F-Zero bears an uncanny resemblance to the much darker Running Man segment of 80s anime OVA, Neo Tokyo:

Screen-Shot-2014-08-04-at-1.25.55-AM.png

source.gif

giphy.gif

Captain Falcon, maybe?
Wdxd.gif

Is Legend actually any good? Never seen it.
Definitely worth seeing, the story is straightforward & cheesy like all 80s fantasy, but the visuals are stunning. Plus you get to see what a(n anachronistic) Zelda movie would have looked like from the director of Blade Runner and Alien.