• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
While also inspired by Godzilla, I always thought Tyranitar more resembled Bemular.

As for a few other Ultraman inspirations:

Dorako/Scyther
Takkong/ Golem
And while not exactly the same, Electabuzz got a lot from Eleking

Embarrassingly, while I have the whole original Ultraman series on DVD, I haven't really committed the monsters to memory enough to have made these connections myself. I think you're right though; not only has Satoshi Tajiri mentioned growing up on Ultraman in his interview with Time magazine, but Pokemon emerging from Pokeballs is clearly based on the Capsule Kaijuu from Ultraseven. Hell, the original name for the series was Capmon (Capsule Monsters)!

Not sure if anyone will care about this but me, but it occurred to me a while ago that the Battle Clash series on the Super Nintendo was inspired by the works of Ryosuke Takahashi and Sunrise. On a general level, the post-apocalyptic setting is more in line with these than the militaries and politics of Gundam. The first design of the ST Falcon from Battle Clash is similar to the Scopedog from Votoms; a squat pot-bellied machine. The speed and inertia on your first-person camera makes it seem like it has a similar skating movement.

battleclash_st_falconw6k3c.png

atm-09-stvukq4.jpg

Then you have a new design in Metal Combat, which I think emphasizes the influence of the Dougram from the anime of the same name. More lean, tall body and a long shoulder-mounted cannon. The faceless rectangular isn't new but it's more in line with the Dougram than the rounded Scopedog head.

b_fal7ij92.gif

dougram-turbozakfwjmn.jpg

Additionally, an invincibility powerup you get in the games - which allows the ST Falcon to fly through space in the second game - is called the V-System. I suspect that it's inspired by the V-Max from Blue Comet Layzner, which also gives the ST Falcon its blue colour. In Metal Combat it plays a vaguely similar theme when you activate it.

#STFalconForSmash

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the whole movie really. Anyone's whose seen it will feel the similarities from top to bottom. But more importantly I think this wasn't really that evident until the games became 3D, starting from Ocarina of time. That game really laid its inspiration on thick.
legend_c_758_426_81_s.jpg

The whole Triforce Trio (notice Cruise's lack of pants, which will forever become a trademark of Link):
910c88e4a2ef2bec15cf071371f3bc1c.jpg

09cfff947f8d1fd4fb760be2f643aa6d.jpg

51YN6pQP5ML.jpg

The eccentric woodland side characters...
eb875eb80cd18b9cca15ab54e6a17540.jpg

fairies.jpg
Yeah, I was going to come in with this. It is incredibly striking just how much Legend feels like Zelda, specific details are different of course and the tone is completely its own, but you can't help but feel the connection between the two.

Jack himself as solitary 'nature aligned boy' with no pants, Oona(the fairy) when in her tiny orb-of-light form, the storybook style 'only characters who exist are the ones needed for the story' feel.

Link, meet Jack.

ezgif-1393664955.gif

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Ky Kiske (Guilty Gear) / Lars Ul Meta-Licana (Bastard)
Having never made this connection before, Bastard! and Guilty Gear are both inspired by heavy metal to the point of taking several character's names from heavy metal music in some way.

Ky Kiske - Kai Hansen and Michael Kiske from Helloween
Lars Ul Metal-Licana - Lars Ulrich from Metallica

I believe Bastard has a spell called Helloween (possible just Halloween) which is invoked by reciting the names of members of the band, including Kai Hansen and Michael Kiske.

Of course, there are countless more references than this. Sol Badguy, for instance, is named after a Freddy Mercury album (Mr. Badguy) and wields his sword like Freddy Mercury swordfighting with his microphone stand in the Princes of the Universe video. In canon, Sol Badguy's real name is Freddy and he's a huge Queen fan so it's potentially intentional with him.

Last edited:

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I have scrolled through pages 1, 5 and 6 (but not in between) and was really surprised to not see this one...

8pjcv.jpg

Hey, this is "M. Bison", totally not Mike Tyson.

THE ripoff which got the whole name change thing going for the three characters now also known as Boxer, Claw and Dictator.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Is Legend actually any good? Never seen it.

It's stunningly beautiful, that's for sure. In the production design department it was probably as influential on the fantasy genre as Bladerunner was on sci fi.

The story is nothing to write home about though. Really basic fairytale imho. Curry's performance is godly though. All in all it's really worthwhile if you can enjoy a film purely for it's aesthetics.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, about Bruce Lee clones in fighting games. I don't know if it was a spoof of the concept generally or a specific reference to Fei Long, but there was a chapter of early Yu-Gi-Oh about that. This was from the first Kaiba arc, before the series became about the card game and was just a general game-themed manga.

rykzy.png

Yugi goes to an arcade - where it later turns out Kaiba has the high score on every machine - and decides to play a fighting game. He mains the Bruce Lee clone, Bruce Ryu, and rambles to Joey about how awesome Bruce Lee movies are.

p0k1i.png

Another player hops on the machine who also plays as a Bruce Lee clone. He sucks at fighting games so Yugi repeatedly destroys him every time he puts another coin in. The guy then steps out from behind the machine and turns out to be a real life Bruce Lee wannabe, who then beats the shit out of Yugi.

ljjvt.png

The "game" they play in the chapter is a street fight where Joey and this guy both have a knife held in their mouths tip pointed inward, and they try to punch each other so that the knife stabs though the other guy's throat.

jonouchi_vs_street_fiwakf4.png

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, about Bruce Lee clones in fighting games. I don't know if it was a spoof of the concept generally or a specific reference to Fei Long, but there was a chapter of early Yu-Gi-Oh about that. This was from the first Kaiba arc, before the series became about the card game and was just a general game-themed manga.

rykzy.png

Yugi goes to an arcade - where it later turns out Kaiba has the high score on every machine - and decides to play a fighting game. He mains the Bruce Lee clone, Bruce Ryu, and rambles to Joey about how awesome Bruce Lee movies are.

p0k1i.png

Another player hops on the machine who also plays as a Bruce Lee clone. He sucks at fighting games so Yugi repeatedly destroys him every time he puts another coin in. The guy then steps out from behind the machine and turns out to be a real life Bruce Lee wannabe, who then beats the shit out of Yugi.

ljjvt.png

The "game" they play in the chapter is a street fight where Joey and this guy both have a knife held in their mouths tip pointed inward, and they try to punch each other so that the knife stabs though the other guy's throat.

They really need to do an OVA of early Yugioh.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
So curious to note, and it's kinda the opposite but figured I'd mention this.

latest

Mint from Threads of Fate (Dew Prism), would ultimately serve to be used as the basis of of Asuna from Negima.

11fbeec2082c59ee75b0bd7a4b7ff741.png

What happened reportedly was as follows (provided I'm not misremembering anything). Originally Ken Akamatsu was supposed to work on a manga adaptation of Dew Prism (his younger brother had been involved with the game, along with a couple other Square Enix games at the time), but reasons unclear, the project was scrapped. Aspects of his design works and stuff would end up being re-worked into the Negima! manga, including Asuna's looks and personalities likely being based off of what he intended to do for his adaptation of Mint.

My guess is originally Dew Prism was supposed to be a bigger multi-media project for Square Soft but a lot of plans fell through for various reasons. The deal with Kingdom Hearts could've been one of the things that killed it, honestly. But who knows.
Does Ken Akamatsu do anything original at all? I was rereading some of AI Love You and Love Hina while looking through my old manga and they are clear rips of Oh My Goddess and Maison Ikkoku.

-----

During the Big Bad Game-A-Thon this weekend, someone played Last Alert. The dude on the left in the middle picture looks almost exactly like one of the villains in Shadow Hearts 2, Hien. I'm wondering if they both ripped something else off or just SH2 ripped Last Alert off, because the other two in that middle pic very slightly resemble other villains in SH2 as well- Ouka and Raiden. They also work as a trio just like in Last Alert!

Last Alert:
la1.png

Shadow Hearts 2:

latest

39-jv1zed.jpg

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The classic Doom enemy Cacodemon is like cropped straight from the cover of the Dungeons & Dragons expansion book, Manual of the Planes.
images

17009.jpg
Very different time for video games of course, a little more of a Wild West where you'd get away with this kind of thing, given they also were not subtle about copying numerous Metallica, Slayer, Pantera etc songs for the soundtrack.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting games are so, so bad about this tbh. Like, Mokujin is just from this:

10_tmok.jpg

And some others:

bkt8p-1.png
bkt8p-2.png

(From Battle K-Road)

CKu4TBpUkAQIuAy.jpg

(From World Heroes)

tomjeanreno.jpg

(From Street Fighter 3)

I also ran into this at one point:

latest
latest

(From Metal Slug Attack)

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Do the people who learned about Jojo through the anime know about Araki's other work? The World Heroes series borrowed from an earlier manga he did for Shonen Jump.

neodio-ngbc6qjxm.jpg

b00008ch5grjkl4.jpg

Neo Dio from World Heroes versus Hirohiko Araki's Baoh.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Can't find a really good pic, but Samus and Kim Basinger.

Sakamoto has said as much about Basinger, but it's kinda hard to see it in the older pixel art. I feel like Retro Studios really took the Kim Basinger reference to heart with Metroid Prime, though (and I wish both Sakamoto and Retro had kept on that route, honestly):

latest

Thought of another -- Link in Ocarina of Time was probably inspired by young Leonardo DiCaprio (via Kotaku):

Kotaku said:
So when you were illustrating Link, was there an inspiration for the character?

NAKANO:
Yes. A rather world- famous Hollywood actor . . .

TAKIZAWA: Huh? You mean that actor?

HARUHANA: He is one good-looking guy.

NAKANO: Yeah. At that time, if you were to talk about a really good- looking actor, people immediately thought of this guy. So I recall keeping in mind the point of his nose and that strong-willed look in his eyes when I was drawing.

TAKIZAWA: Actually, I remember Koizumi saying something similar as well. When the watercolor version was being worked on, that actor's name also came up.

Titanic-0516.jpg

link-ocarina-time.jpg

In regards to the Ultraman/Pokemon stuff, it's also worth noting that those Ultra monsters were kept in capsules, and could be freed to do battle (a tradition starting in Ultra Seven). Satoshi Tajiri cites "Ultraman with his capsule monsters" as an inspiration.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Another fighting game example. Makoto Mizoguchi from Fighter's History:

nij4r.jpg

Momotaro Tsurugi from Sakigake!! Otokojuku:

24174744_206488362707yukmf.jpg

Granted, Momotaro Tsurugi is himself blatantly ripped off of Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star, but Sakigake!! Otokojuku started off as a satire of Japanese imperialism and their traditional view of masculinity, so it came across more as a gag than as totally shameless at first.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I think that Protoman's based on Hakaider from the tokusatsu series Kikaider. He's the maybe-evil "brother" of the robot hero, and he always signals his appearance by whistling. I think the later anime played up his similarities to Protoman:

saburohzka5.jpg

2554-1489950825eejac.jpg

While we're on Mega Man, Rush is based off of Friender, Casshern's transforming dog. Quickman's based off of Casshern too. There are a few other references to Friender in the franchise. There's an enemy in Mega Man 2 with the name that's also a dog that also breathes fire, and Sigma's dog Velguarder in the first Mega Man X game has a very similar look.

559877-bigthumbnailupk21.jpg

velguarder4hk9s.jpg

And Tron Bonne's team is probably based off of Time Bokan's typical villain groups, as are Team Rocket from the Pokemon anime and - more blatantly - Devilotte de Death Satan IX from Cyberbots.

tumblr_inline_p7g003xx4keu.jpg

0lkv3.png

There are even Pokemon based on Doronjo.

509purrloinrdkgd.png

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
This is less about characters and more about the setting/vehicles/world, but F-Zero bears an uncanny resemblance to the much darker Running Man segment of 80s anime OVA, Neo Tokyo:

source.gif

This vehicle certainly reminds me of Black Shadow's F-Zero Racer

latest

Falcon (especially SNES Falcon) reminds me of Judge Dredd

latest
captain-falcon.png
1200px-Captain_Falcon_SSBU.png

flak57

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the whole movie really. Anyone's whose seen it will feel the similarities from top to bottom. But more importantly I think this wasn't really that evident until the games became 3D, starting from Ocarina of time. That game really laid its inspiration on thick.
legend_c_758_426_81_s.jpg

The whole Triforce Trio (notice Cruise's lack of pants, which will forever become a trademark of Link):
910c88e4a2ef2bec15cf071371f3bc1c.jpg

09cfff947f8d1fd4fb760be2f643aa6d.jpg

51YN6pQP5ML.jpg

The eccentric woodland side characters...
eb875eb80cd18b9cca15ab54e6a17540.jpg

fairies.jpg

I don't know about later Zelda games, but Legend came out in the UK 2 months before Zelda in Japan, and that was after Zelda was put on the backburner to complete Mario because it was coming along so well, otherwise it probably would have been released in mid/late 85 like all the other Hydlide inspired games.

Stuff like the Triforce is straight out of Hydlide btw, fairies and all that stuff too, although there were obviously other games as well.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

rykzy.png

p0k1i.png

ljjvt.png

Man.. as someone who got introduced to Yu Gi Oh Through the manga, i gotta say im still so damn disappointed that they went all in on the card game.

But what do they have in common except the white hair and both using, different kinds but still, swords?

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Huh I never connected those dots, but now it seems unmistakable. I guess F-Zero is inspired by all kinds of dystopian cyberpunk.

Its primary inspiration is Batman though, as confirmed by the original devs. The original concept is likely inspired by the Batmobile. Vehicles driven by superhero-like people.

Black Shadow is a blatant Batman ripoff too.

392px-GX_Black_Shadow.png

Last edited:

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Its primary inspiration is Batman though, as confirmed by the original devs. The original concept is likely inspired by the Batmobile. Vehicles driven by superhero-like people.

Black Shadow is a blatant Batman ripoff too.

392px-GX_Black_Shadow.png
Feels more like Dredd since Black Shadow didn't show up until the 2nd game.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Feels more like Dredd since Black Shadow didn't show up until the 2nd game.

The story is that director Shimizu was in America during the late 80's and got influenced by the Tim Burton movie (which does have a dystopian look to it).

He also bought a bunch of Batman comics, so it's possible they could've stumbled into Dredd.