• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TravisTouchdown.png
s-l500.jpg

Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes Vs. Tyler Durden from Fight Club
It's probably been mentioned but Suda legit said he was based on Johnny Knoxville right?

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
The story is that director Shimizu was in America during the late 80's and got influenced by the Tim Burton movie (which does have a dystopian look to it).

He also bought a bunch of Batman comics, so it's possible they could've stumbled into Dredd.

I guess I'd buy that. Dark Knight Returns would have been out around that time too. It also has a dystopian vibe.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Holy crap I just saw this great thread, I thought I knew a lot of the influences but some I didn't know are so blatant. So many from Jojo's...

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird. I assumed it was based on her until I was told it wasn't. To me, there's nothing vague about it.
We aren't weird for thinking it was Ellen Page, so it's okay. I thought so too. She bore a striking resemblance to her. When I found out she wasn't, I audibly said something like, "ah yeah that's bullshit lol."

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Gill, Urien and Seth are all inspired by JoJo's Bizarre Adventure's Pillar Men. Necalli as well, specifically when his hair changes he starts to resemble Kars a bit.

ZlBExgZ.jpg

daln2MY.png

k9OqWiQ.png

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Not exactly the same looking but like...

6a00e54f7ac65c88330133f1770323970b-pi
This one is the most blatant one here, I feel. Characters like Snake eventually transitioned character-wise from their inspiration, but York is just straight up a slightly hammier Coop. IIRC, in early versions of the game, York even looked just like Coop,but they changed it (as well as the Sheriff's look).

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this because I just saw the Crusher Joe movie, and I wonder if Talos here may have inspired the visuals of Final Fantasy VII's Barrett.

vlcsnap-00012nhjjp.png

I also suspect that the Jellyfish Pirates from Guilty Gear was inspired by Sol Bianca; they're an all-female team of space pirates named after months. May is the youngest one, and in the original version she's a mech pilot and engineer.

The remake might have cued in on this since it had a scene where May is in a cartoony pirate costume.

vlcsnap-000039jknn.png

Last edited:

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
Seven pages, several Alien/Ridley Scott mentions, and no-one mentioned that Samus was based on Ellen Ripley?

4f4e78793798b55f9d6b63479e24a552.png

1bMj7kB.jpg

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid's a pastiche of every science fiction movie ever.

2001: A Space Odyssey - HAL 9000

200.gif

Metroid Fusion - The Ship's Computer ("Adam")

EOcQdzwWAAEoRrH

Metroid-Fusion-Screen-Shot-8515-4.35-PM-2.png

Red Planet - AMEE

red-planet-amee.gif

Metroid Dread - EMMI

giphy.gif

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
A few years back I was reading Ashita no Joe for the first time, and came across the character Harimao. It became immediately apparent that Blanka from Street Fighter was heavily "inspired" by him being an wild man fighter with almost ape like arms, and a penchant for jumping and rolling in mid air. Though outside of that, Blanka's a good deal different, since he was a child who got lost in the jungle and raised by animals, while Harimao is a pretty insensitive caricature.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Vernun Roche in Witcher 2 so strongly resembles Mark Strong's voice but his appearance is a mix of Strong and Gavin Rossdale, the lead singer of Bush depending on the scene
p.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
A few years back I was reading Ashita no Joe for the first time, and came across the character Harimao. It became immediately apparent that Blanka from Street Fighter was heavily "inspired" by him being an wild man fighter with almost ape like arms, and a penchant for jumping and rolling in mid air. Though outside of that, Blanka's a good deal different, since he was a child who got lost in the jungle and raised by animals, while Harimao is a pretty insensitive caricature.
Blanka being a white kid who was lost in a travel accident and grew up in the jungle is more Tarzan than Harimao, I think, although that might be where his fighting style came from. Tarzan is even supposed to mean "white" like Blanka does. Harimao is from a tribal society, an actual cultural outsider that Joe claims himself to be.

Might be similar to how Dhalsim's fighting style comes from Master of the Flying Guillotine's La Seng, the Indian fighter with stretchy arms, but his storyline is basically Nam from Dragonball.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
How many countless alien monsters were direct ripoffs of H.R. Gigers Alien?
Contra and Metroid come to mind. But so many miscellaneous monsters in games from the 80s and 90s ripped off the Giger art style and Alien as well as facehugger design.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
High Lord Wolnir (Dark Souls 3)

latest

Barragan Luisenbarn (Bleach)

356Baraggans_Resurreccion_Arrogante.webp

0370-006.jpg

Both have attacks that fire a poisonous/decaying miasma too.

Guess it's not easy coming up with original designs for 20+ bosses, and From got tired of ripping Berserk and Bastard!! for once, lol.

maxresdefault.jpg

MV5BOTI1Mzg2Nzk1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzc5MTQzMTI@._V1_.jpg

I'm stretching too much here, but I'm having fun.

I mean, that is the inspiration.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
The entire overarching plot of Honkai Impact 3rd (MiHoYo developed, their previous game before Genshin Impact) is VERY heavily inspired from Evangelion.

Ancient celestial type race, Honkai, invade the earth and the best/only way to fight them is with a mixture of their tech on modified humans.

A big goal of the game is to prevent the 3rd eruption/impact (just like Evangelion), with the 2nd one having happened in the year 2000... just like Eva.

There's a secret society that basically runs the show (Shicksal) that has heavy SEELE/NERV overtones, and the closest thing to a main villain, Otto Apocalypse, is a guy who is ready to doom the entire world in order to get back his dead female love interest, much like Gendo.

The game even had an official Evangelion crossover earlier this year that I sadly missed, but it actually added Asuka as a playable character and Eva-inspired costumes for a few existing characters.