• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically, as the title suggests, what are some creators or owners of an I.P. that allows fans to go wild with making and even selling their own material for the franchise? A few that pop to mind are...

TOHOU
886093-touhouphoto.jpg

"What's a Tohou?" many a user are saying right now. Well, it started as one man's series of many SHUMPs, but now is a fighting game, character action, card game, platform, race car, multiple novel/manga/album series. Honestly, Tohou could have easily surpassed Mario in terms of genres touched by the brand. What's even more strange is the creator allows the unofficial works with the I.P. to be sold in other countries, most of which the original work hasn't even been made available to.

OP
OP
CoolestSpot

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DOOM

While I don't really want to count mods unless they become officially sold or something of the like of being recognized in some manner by the I.P. holder, the creators of the game have gone on to creator new maps during mod competitions and such. Plus, Doom has one of the oldest and craziest modding communities that's still as healthy as ever.

PICO
ng_20___a_newgrounds_tribute_for_pico_day_2015_by_studiopep-d8p4rhl.png

Before youtube, we had Newgrounds. And that little effed up wonder made this little mischief maker their mascot. In the vein of the entire site, there was only one "official" creation with the character existing mostly through the creator's permission and even approval of fanworks. Pico has also been in many of genres, adding ultravolience and, uh, questionable content for underage characters throughout their many appearances.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
This is basically Games Workshop's approach to video game design. Come one, come all. The quality of Warhammer / 40k games is so hilariously inconsistent I have to imagine that pretty much anyone with a pitch scribbled on a napkin could walk out of the GW offices with their blessing.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
This is basically Games Workshop's approach to video game design. Come one, come all. The quality of Warhammer / 40k games is so hilariously inconsistent I have to imagine that pretty much anyone with a pitch scribbled on a napkin could walk out of the GW offices with their blessing.

Extra Credits actually took a neat, more detailed look at it. There's an interesting method to this madness.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bungie used to be this company. They made fantastic level editing tools for Marathon and Myth, and the mod/map/total conversion community thrived.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Extra Credits actually took a neat, more detailed look at it. There's an interesting method to this madness.

I'll definitely check this out - I grew up as a big Warhammer fan so my robbing of the associated video games is sort of in good spirits, but the way it's been handled is kind of fascinating. Thanks

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The Sims series comes to mind. Despite them selling Stuff Packs and additional content there is a ton of downloads out there to alter the game in a large way. And this includes mods. Strangely, while checking the official site to see if they still sell content packs themselves I noticed they have an entire section of the site dedicated to how to cheat so you can do whatever you want in the game: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/how-to-cheat

And this has been going on since the first game where there was already sites for trading and downloading goods and resources on how to make your own and mod the game.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Doesn't SEGA have a very hands-off policy with fan games? I seem to recall it being one of the rare companies that encourages - sometimes even highlights - fan-made Sonic games (and of course hiring fan game creators for Sonic Mania takes this to a whole other level).

Or maybe it's just Sonic. They did kill the Streets of Rage Remake :/