• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
If only games on PC allowed for the same Boot Flow skip flags used on Consoles so we didn't have to brute-force remove those Splash Screens to make proper use of fast load times

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
šŸ
When you skip all the logos it's basically 2 seconds from pressing launch till you're in the map playing the game. Hope this will become standard going forward.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. I won't even have time to stare out the window anymore with tech like this.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I upgraded from a regular SATA SSD and Windows 10 which I thought was already pretty fast to a 7GB/s NVMe drive and Windows 11 and the boot times are ridiculous. Happy to see the first DirectStorage game is no joke.

DeadeyeNull

ā–² Legend ā–²
Dec 26, 2018
Is direct storage available on rtx 2000 series cards, or is it restricted to later cards?

zeher

Mar 20, 2019
Wow glad I invested in a couple of nice NVMEs for my PC. Looking forward to more games taking advantage of this

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
If only games on PC allowed for the same Boot Flow skip flags used on Consoles so we didn't have to brute-force remove those Splash Screens to make proper use of fast load times
I posted a feature request on Steam forum to have a "Continue from last save" button which would basically do this. I got cooked. What a terrible forum. šŸ˜­

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Can you even run it without DirectStorage? It's baked into Win10 and Win11.
Of course. The drive must support it. Old Windows 10 versions or NVMe drives with 3rd party drivers don't. I can easily disable DS on my 960Pro by installing Samsung NVMe driver for example.

Or you can just use SATA SSD for a test.

The point is that it's not clear that this is a result of the game using DS.

Is direct storage available on rtx 2000 series cards, or is it restricted to later cards?

DS 1.0 is a purely CPU thing.

DS 1.1 can use GPU decompression but it should run on anything relevant really, like Maxwell+. RTX cards can get an optimized implementation from Nvidia but it's hard to tell if that would even be a win compared to API's fallback shader.

Last edited:

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Ruined by unskippable logos though, taking 2min first time and 30s after that.
Even removing videos don't work, it will make you watch blank screen instead.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I posted a feature request on Steam forum to have a "Continue from last save" button which would basically do this. I got cooked. What a terrible forum. šŸ˜­

That tends to happen everywhere tbh. Usually if you suggest a new useful feature to make life easier, someone will point out how you can do exactly that thing using some method nobody has ever heard of, in 10 "easy" steps, after downloading some nameless file from someone's Google Drive.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
You can skip the logos by the way

Edit: beat. Really impressive tho and works near instantaneously even on my 4 plus year old ssd

Last edited:

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Unless there are button presses to continue how am I going to get my loading screen tips now!?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Sony introduced system software support for skipping boot flow screens after the first boot, so most games skip unnecessary splash screens on subsequent boots on Consoles but keep them on PC

I notice very few games do this. And it goes back to showing all the unstoppable logos whenever the OS or the game gets updated, which nowadays is all the time, so the feature is kind of moot, honestly.

It's pretty good, but also games on PC boot up pretty fast nowadays even without this, I just tested Spiderman from an NVMe and it took around 2-3 seconds after pressing continue:

Of course it's cool that this technology makes it instant.

Still very uncommon for this speed. Spiderman is known for its super fast load times.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
i don't use linux, but i'm curious how this interacts with things like proton. will it just load slower, or does linux have its own version of direct storage?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
This needs to be a standard within a few years from now!

When the PS5 first launched, I forget which game, but there would tips but you barely had time to read part of it. I'm guessing the devs back then just wanted to make sure they made launch and couldn't worry about that when they first noticed/realized it lol.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, nice. With gen 4/5 and directstorage we'll never have loading times again!
The dream is being realized. Even if there is a bit of loading to make room for tips it improves quick travel loading within open world games by a toooooon.

Has been nice to experience it on PS5 since day 1, can't wait for it to roll out to more PC games.