• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting. Always thought it was a recorded cutscene rather than it being real time. Always wanted to know if we could go further than what we were shown, so this is a very cool discovery. It's so intriguing to think that someone at KojiPro took the time to go that far into making the street feel kind of detailed, considering the cutscene is barely a minute long. Pretty cool nonetheless.

Question: Reading the comments, someone mentioned that PT takes place in the Northwestern part of the USA, is that true? Where did Silent Hill originally take its inspiration from, anyway?

Definitely northwestern American and Kindergarten Cop

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
It's to prevent data mining. The black ops series does the same thing with zombies stuff
That's precisely why I thought it was pre-recorded, to prevent data-mining. But perhaps KojiPro saw the writing on the wall and just wanted fans to go crazy on the game. Surprised to see how long it take to data-mine a console game. Suppose it doesn't help that it's not even listed on the Store anymore.
Thanks and lmao.

But apparently Centralia was researched for the movie rather the game?

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks and lmao.

But apparently Centralia was researched for the movie rather the game?

Mmm, seems you're right. I thought the town in the game canon was also inspired by Centralia. Then I don't think the devs ever said anything about what places inspired SH, besides the town supposedly being in Maine.

really all this does is just make me more upset that we got stuck with Death Stranding instead of Silent Hills

Same here. We lost SH and got DS. Yaaaaay 🎉🎉😑

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
j6e473mz7ws21.jpg

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You got to see the last canon representation of Silent Hill in Fox Engine.
Now the engine is being used for yearly PES installments and cash grab mockery games of beloved IPs. It hurts.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Sony can convince Konami to allow Kojimas studio to give it another shot some day. Maybe Sony can foot the bill. Konami doesn't have to do a single thing.

Oct 30, 2017
Man, that's pretty amazing.

I wonder if Sony can convince Konami to allow Kojimas studio to give it another shot some day. Maybe Sony can foot the bill. Konami doesn't have to do a single thing.

I'll be honest, there is really no point. Naming aside, Silent Hills was looking to be its own beast.

Kojima has his own studio with a good of chunk of the team from Konami with him still and a fantastic graphics engine that despite being different does showcase their visual approach in DS that has that similarity with Fox Engine.

He can pretty much just make his own horror game without the attached IP. PT and this video already show a visual identity and design approach that was wasn't really like the multiple entries that came before it. With Kojima teasing he is watching horror movies to get more ideas for a potential next project, I'm excited he might still want to do a horror game still.

Oct 25, 2017
That's precisely why I thought it was pre-recorded, to prevent data-mining. But perhaps KojiPro saw the writing on the wall and just wanted fans to go crazy on the game. Surprised to see how long it take to data-mine a console game. Suppose it doesn't help that it's not even listed on the Store anymore.
A pre-recorded video file is easier to data-mine than a maps and cut-scene data of a proprietary game engine. You can play most video files outside the game, but there's usually no way to open a map or play an in-engine cut-scene without hacking the game.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Even when falling through the world, she will still find you.

It's incredible how they put so much thought and detail into an area we never actually explore in any capacity, and even though nothing actually happens it's still chilling to go around it in the video. I hope Kojima and a good editor team up with a horror experience that builds on P.T in spirit.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I think konami just isnt interested anymore, they are leaning more and more to pachinco machines. Even if they only had one toe in the water there would have been a new silent hill game (most likely outsourced ofc). The last silent hill release was in 2012 and Silent hills was announced in 2014. So thats a 5 year gap between announcing and 4 years between cancelling silent hills to 2019. In that gap they could have easily made a silent hill game ala downpour(im one of the view that liked the game it seems xD) and release it.

It saddens me to say but untill konami has a change of heart the silent hill series is sadly dead

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
So gooood, imagine seeing something in a window or crossing the street while out there.

It lives on in my PS4.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After cancelling this and then seeing how well RE2 did, Konami surely must know how much they fucked this up.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Konami is making tons of cash from inexpensive mobile games and pachinko machines. They're doing just fine without a new Silent Hills or another AAA game.

You're right and it's so sad. This game had such potential but Konami isn't interested in making stuff like this anymore.

twinspectre

Nov 30, 2019
Why people still use the name P.T? We already know the game was Silent Hills, I don't get the appeal of using P.T instead of Silent Hills.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad it didnt happen. Keep Kojima and his writing away from Silent Hill.
Agreed. I don't feel like playing Kojima's games due to how he treats women, trans people, and asexuality. The old Silent Hill titles had their problems in this department, but also some pretty powerful moments (like Angela refusing James' help and kicking her abuser).

Not judging anyone who likes him, but I've come to terms that Silent Hill is dead. Maybe, someday, a team will get together and work on a horror game with similar themes and a compelling narrative. I'm okay with waiting, since we already have so many games to play.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
Last edited:

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017

If I were Kojima, I would never want to be within a mile of anything Konami related again. Kojima can make his own horror game if he wants. The Silent Hill IP is not at all required for making a quality horror game.

Why people still use the name P.T? We already know the game was Silent Hills, I don't get the appeal of using P.T instead of Silent Hills.

Because the name of the game is P.T. Silent Hills doesn't exist as a game.

twinspectre

Nov 30, 2019
If I were Kojima, I would never want to be within a mile of anything Konami related again. Kojima can make his own horror game if he wants. The Silent Hill IP is not at all required for making a quality horror game.

Because the name of the game is P.T. Silent Hills doesn't exist as a game.
So the "game" was called playable teaser? Doesn't make any sense to me :/

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
So the "game" was called playable teaser? Doesn't make any sense to me :/

What is the job of a teaser trailer? It is to show you a glimpse of the concept that is about to become a product, not to demo the product. P.T. is all there was because all Kojima wanted to do with it was to create a movie teaser in a playable form.

twinspectre

Nov 30, 2019

What is the job of a teaser trailer? It is to show you a glimpse of the concept that is about to become a product, not to demo the product. P.T. is all there was because all Kojima wanted to do with it was to create a movie teaser in a playable form.

The teaser already has a name, in this case Silent Hills just like Man of steel tease already has a name and it is not Teaser and that's it.
P.T was revealed to be a teaser for SH and this means it has a name. If they decide to tease Lord of Rings next movie and they decide to cancel the movie I'm sure you won't remember it as a teaser, but with its name. It doesn't sound right saying "I miss the playable teaser" instead you would say "I miss Silent Hills playable teaser" with the name of the game which is SH. Using teaser is just generic and people could say which teaser are you talking about. I hope it make sense :)

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Amazing.

Knowing we'll never get it still hurts. I loved Death Stranding but still, I think I prefer that we'd have gotten Silent Hills.