• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What are your thoughts on Collector's Editions?

The first & last time I ever bought one was for MGSV. I got a really cool red arm...

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuuuuuck was that Destiny space blanket thing for?

Collectors Editions are always hot garbage but that comp was lol.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Generally trash. Not a lot of unique items and you might as well just get the real hardcover artbook on top of the standard edition instead of little booklet and some MP3's

HHGaming

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most sucks/overpriced, AC Origins really 800$? they are getting crazy
I regret/guilty of buying lot of them, most recent regret was FF15 Collectors edition

For me though the witcher 3 was worth it, the figure was well made, nice extras + i don't mind supporting CD Project
The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Collectors-Edition.jpg

DenseProtag

Oct 26, 2017
Well it's been 3-4 years since the first Destiny and the talking Ghost that came with the CE still works just fine so I'm happy with that for example moreso than the Type-0 CE that came with a set of cardboard cards, a soundtrack SAMPLER and a thin artbook

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The idea of a collector's edition is not inherently a bad one. The issue to me is when the team in charge of them seemingly inflates the price for items that many people don't want or wouldn't use.

As a counter example, I bought the infamous second son collector's edition when that came out, and I still wear the beanie that came with it from time to time. That's an example of a collector's edition that was $80 and I still use the item I received from it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish the collector's editions were more utilitarian.

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only collector's edition I've bought was for Metal Gear Solid 4. Don't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't that much more and it came with a really solid documentary on the game. And the case was cool.

MGS4LE-Unpacking%20008.jpg

Other than that I have little reason to buy them. Usually I just wanna play the video game and not get a bunch of extra junk that is going to sit around my house.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Persona 5 Take Your Heart Edition and don't regret it one bit. Most CEs are too fucking expensive though, so I don't generally buy them. I just settle for Special Editions usually.

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
I generally don't buy them, just the game is fine with me. It's a shame I missed out on the Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Collector's Edition because that one actually looks like it was worth it.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
Most sucks/overpriced, AC Origins really 800$? they are getting crazy
I regret/guilty of buying lot of them, most recent regret was FF15 Collectors edition

For me though the witcher 3 was worth it, the figure was well made, nice extras + i don't mind supporting CD Project
The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Collectors-Edition.jpg

Still own that one, it is beautiful indeed.

Also all Blizzard C.E are my favorites, wolfenstein II is my recent favorite.

Airhead

Oct 25, 2017
Only one Ive ever gotten was the fallout 3 lunch box. I liked that. But in general those things are just an eye sore.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Depends on the game and publisher. Personally I thought the Doom collectors edition was decent, the Revenant figure that came with it was surprisingly well made and looks good; I was peeved thought that the season pass wasn't included for that price, same with Fallout 4. Other good collectors editions that come to mind are Persona 5 Take Your Heart edition, Halo Reach Legendary edition, and Bioshock Infinite Ultimate Songbird edition.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I used to by them for games I was really excited about but I always ended up throwing them out a year later.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
If all CEs just included practical shit like:
-An Artbook
-A Steelcase.
-The Soundtrack.

Then they would be good.

TheNAC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I have bought probably 30+ collectors editions and statues from they in the past year. I have a display in progress in my man cave in basement.

I definitely pick and choose which I buy though and wait for sales. I rarely get them at full price. Horizon Zero Dawn was the last full price one I bought.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
"Game not included."
Makes sense.

Last one I bought was either Xenoblade Chronicles X or Super Mario Marker. And it was because, for some reason, they were both cheaper than the regular version. I just want the game, I don't care about anything else.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
In defence of the Andromeda CE that didn't come with the game - the idea was that you could buy the physical goodies add-on without also having to get all of the digital stuff that normally came with the 3rd-tier CE of other games. It was supposed to give people the option of what they wanted in their CE, which I can appreciate.

So, if other games have this model:
1) Regular edition ($60)
2) Collector's edition with DLC, stickers, digital soundtrack, etc. ($80)
3) Super collector's edition with everything else ($150)

Andromeda's model would look like this:
1) Regular edition ($60) + toy ($130)
2) Collector's edition ($80) + toy ($150)
3) Toy (70$)

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
As a counter example, I bought the infamous second son collector's edition when that came out, and I still wear the beanie that came with it from time to time. That's an example of a collector's edition that was $80 and I still use the item I received from it.

Me too, that is a surprisingly well made beanie... Though Mrs Lamptramp has nicked it for her own use :(

I remember the MGS collectors edition for the PS1 being of decent quality too,

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
I used to be crazy about CEs when I was younger. Then I grew up and discovered better ways of spending money. Still... there are some companies that I'm always willing to support in this way. Bioware used to make nice and subdued CEs for Mass Effect and Dragon Age games. Shame they stopped. Blizzard is still on point, but besides the original Starcraft II: WoL I never bought any other from them.

Got a CE for every Witcher game and never felt any regrets. Just quality. I will most likely get one for Cyberpunk 2077 whenever that comes out.

Oct 27, 2017
The only collector's edition I ever wanted were the Lunar ones, which are long gone now (not willing to pay Ebay prices). Most of the time, I don't bite for Collector's Editions as it's extraneous nonsense that I don't REALLY need. I'll only really spring for them if it's slightly more expensive than the base price of the game (i.e. The Trails of Cold Steel Lionheart Edition case).

Oct 28, 2017
I'd swap my entire (and mostly regrettable) Collector's Edition purchases for MGS1's Japanese Premium Edition.
Other than that, not spending another dime on them. Never again.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
How can one of those expensive ass things not have all the actual game crap in it? If you by these you don't deserve money.

I mean a ad for the seasons pass? Come on.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
All a collectors editions needs for me to buy is a soundtrack.

I love buying/collecting CD's.

Also. I buy anything Fire Emblem special edition related. I like the series too much, but the Echoes, Warriors, and Fates editions were pretty cool. So not burned yet

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
i just bought one of the Assassin's Creed Origins CEs and the Wolfenstien II one. I love them. #Collectorslifeisbestlife

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Only ones I've bought are from Blizzard :) Have them all displayed above my PC desk. I have everyone except the Overwatch one because I didn't like the soldier statue.... Wanted Mercy :(

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The only collectors edition I've ever liked is Undertale one produced by Fangamer. I think every once and a while there are good ones like that but they're really special cases.

Oct 27, 2017
Collector's editions are getting more stupid and expensive with each generation. I really don't understand the market research behind all these +$150 editions...

Call of duty is the worst offender. $300 dollars of unnecesary trash. Let's include all the recycled trash we can find and stick the Call of duty name on it.

9999285800050001_sd8yjsd.jpg

Just give me a nice steelbook, artbook and soundtrack.

One of my favorites

This one feels like a physical extension of the game, really well done.

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped collecting these years ago. I used to get them all the time, until I relied I had stacks of them that I no longer used.

Croaker

Oct 27, 2017
Closest I ever got to buying one was...Prey 2006. I thought the game looked really cool and it came with a statue or something. In the end I decided against it.

Mathezar

Oct 27, 2017
The only one I have is MGS4's, I don't really know why I even bought that one.. because personally I don't think collectors editions are worth the money as for me it doesn't add anything to the enjoyment of the game.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The one for Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus is unique and fitting.

For the most part CEs aren't worth it, possibly even the above.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched the video but the game not included always kind of made sense to me. Not everyone wants a disc copy of the game, but still might want the swag in the edition. And it helps to produce a blanket model rather than bloat the shelves with multiple skus for different consoles. Admittedly, this is running with the assumption that said collectors edition would be priced sixty dollars more if the game was included.

But yeah, last time I bought a more expensive collectors edition was Mass Effect 3 for the femshep steelbook and day one dlc. Just not something I find worthwhile.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I was a huge sucker for these in the PS3 gen, but I've reduced my buying habit to those that are really appealing, tied to a franchise I adore, etc. For example, I did buy the FFXV UCE, even though I was disappointed with the end game. I have pre-ordered the Ni no Kuni II one because I liked the first game, and this CE looks mighty nice. Then there's Dissidia's UCE, which looks good, but I can't justify the £180 asking price, so I'm going to cancel it.

I still feel FFXIII-2's EU special edition was one of the best. Not overly sized, had the complete OST included and a decent artbook. Statues just take up way too much space now, and we're usually better off waiting for a licensee to produce one instead of the cheap tat that is typically included.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, most CEs aren't really worth it at all. Seems most have cheap feeling tat (usually a statue) that breaks fairly quickly.

One I did like however was the Zombrex Edition of Dead Rising 2. Didn't cost that much more than the standard edition (that I remember anyway) and came with a few neat things like a Steelbook case and a pen made to look like a Zombrex syringe (which lasted forever for what it's worth).