• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ghostbound

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
CE_1024x1024.jpg

I don't usually buy them, but I decided to get the one for Original Sin 2 after how much I enjoyed the game. You can tell they actually cared about their CE because everything in it is of a high quality, even the box it comes in.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I've bought two.

The first was for Bully.
bully.jpeg

It comes in a big box that looks like a locker, and includes the game with case, an inflatable dodgeball, a Rockstar sticker, and apparently a comic book I don't remember. I actually had no intention of buying this. When I went to pick up the game at Gamestop or wherever, they told me they only had the collector's edition, which was $50. I expected the game by itself to be $50 so I didn't mind. Good game, but I never inflated that dodgeball.

The second was the Skyward Sword limited edition.
Legend-of-Zelda-Skyward-Sword-Bundle-for-Nintendo-Wii.jpg

For $70 you got a big box that included the game in its case, a golden Motion+ Wiimote, and an orchestrated CD. You needed the Motion+ to even play the game, so I was going to be paying $70 regardless. They essentially threw in a Wiimote (that looks awesome) and an incredible CD in for free. This is not the fanciest limited edition, but it's really hard to find one of greater value.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3's legendary edition is the best collector's edition and the only one I'd ever want.
Actually, this one is pretty badass.
g4eqlul43k17.jpg

I'd love that one but it's a bit expensive on Ebay.

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the CE's for Blizzard games. You always get the same things (art book, soundtrack , mouse pad, digital goodies for every blizzard game, decorative box). The various WoW CE's actually look really nice when they're lined up, largely because they all have the same form factor.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The second was the Skyward Sword limited edition.
Legend-of-Zelda-Skyward-Sword-Bundle-for-Nintendo-Wii.jpg

For $70 you got a big box that included the game in its case, a golden Motion+ Wiimote, and an orchestrated CD. You needed the Motion+ to even play the game, so I was going to be paying $70 regardless. They essentially threw in a Wiimote (that looks awesome) and an incredible CD in for free. This is not the fanciest limited edition, but it's really hard to find one of greater value.

This one was actually good, as you got a nice controller that was actual functional for the game. It looked nice as well. Even though I disliked the game.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Morrowind CE was the first CE I bought, 15,5 years ago. Since then I've bought another ~10 CEs, with the latest one being NieR: Automata Black Box Edition, which also happens to be the most expensive game I ever bought which also caused me to regret it a bit. I currently have the Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - Premium Edition pre-ordered cause I thought the dragon whiskey glasses were very cool. Not sure I will ever drink from them, but I want them on the shelf, go figure.

But yeah, most CEs fail to appeal to me and include useless stuff I have no desire to have. There are many times I've been hyped about the game and thought about pre-ordering the CE, but then thinking, "why on earth would I want this stuff?" and just get the regular version. Happened with Persona 5, for example, had no desire to get a school bag. And I have no desire to get the Ni no Kuni II CE even though I do have and like the CE for the first game.

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
I hate this guy, he unapologetically used the f homofobic word and I would love if his content was banned from here.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It's also great for people like me. I want the Xenoblade 2 CE but I actually want the game digital.
Now I have the CE pre-ordered but I am still thinking about cancelling it because I just don't want the cartridge

I've also cut down hard on my CE buying. The last one was BOTW and I've ni no kuni 2 and the Xenoblade 2 pre-ordered. Nothing more.

Oh right yeah the obvious. Buying digital but wanting a limited edition is a complete pain if you publishers don't do this.

Seriously, I've overwhelmingly a good thing.

Deleted member 7529

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most Collector's Editions don't appeal to me at all. I grabbed the BioShock CE when I was younger, thinking it would be cool to have a statue on my shelf, but quickly realized I couldn't care less about that stuff. That would be the first and last time I bought a CE like that.

If it comes with an artbook, and not one of those junk 20-page booklets, something like the fully fledged, translated Design Works that came with Bravely Second, then you have my attention. Even something practical like pins (Shin Megami Tense I IV: Apocalypse) for my backpack is welcome.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Most special editions are rubbish and I tend to avoid them and go for the lower, cheaper, usually steelbook only variety, but I got the Persona 5 Take Your Heart edition and have no regrets, and I've pre-ordered Yakuza 6's special edition while I'm at it which looks just as good.

Y6_glam_comp_1502933556.jpg

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of disappointed he bothered putting this video out. It's nice and all, but it basically felt like a really brief CrowbCat video.

Juha77

Oct 27, 2017
I usually don't buy collector editions, but I'm sucker for Blizzard CE. They are high quality and like having boxes out on display. WoW CE's looks great on shelf.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have totally switched off from them and from steelbooks. There was a time I was content with the mid-tier CEs where they give you a steelbook + artbook and skip all the other extra nonsense, but even that bores me now.

I just go for the game alone now.

Proper full dedicated Artbooks are the way to go, if I want to feel that Collector's Edition™ vibe.

Oct 25, 2017
They genuinely used to be all good, and some companies still promise good deals! I don't think Atlus has ever released a stinker of a special or collector's edition.

In any case, since these special editions today are tied in to the pre-order business, game companies are going to try what they can to squeeze the most money out of consumers.

I was surprised Dunkey didn't bring up Dark Souls' Estus Flask

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the CE's for Blizzard games. You always get the same things (art book, soundtrack , mouse pad, digital goodies for every blizzard game, decorative box). The various WoW CE's actually look really nice when they're lined up, largely because they all have the same form factor.
I liked the burning crusade ce. Didn't regret that one.

LuckyChamCham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only own 3 collectors editions, Skyward Sword, TLG and Persona 5. Skyward Swords was pretty cool, I only got the one for TLG because I thought it'd be rare and out of stock like immediately lol and i got the Persona 5 one because of the morgana plushie, because I actually like morgana unlike most people.

frankabus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I never heard about that collector's edition that didn't even include the game before. Honestly, I just really enjoy alternative/steel boxes, because it makes it feel special, and when they're all lined up on my shelf, the CEs are distinctly different. The side items like art books and CDs are hard to care about because for me, those things I can just find online.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I love Collector's Edition if they have a cool figure. Couldn't resist buying Witcher 3's, MGSV's and many more

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Most special editions are rubbish and I tend to avoid them and go for the lower, cheaper, usually steelbook only variety, but I got the Persona 5 Take Your Heart edition and have no regrets, and I've pre-ordered Yakuza 6's special edition while I'm at it which looks just as good.

Y6_glam_comp_1502933556.jpg

Those bar glasses are sick.

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
Your concerns may be valid, but this is topic derailment. If you wish to discuss this please create a new thread instead.
Please keep the discussion civil.

Basically ignoring my concerns that a homofobic's work is being posted around telling me to just "don't click on the thread" is the exact OPPOSITE of keeping this discussion civil. It's neglecting the fact that there's a minority that's directly attacked by this being in question, and silencing those who are.

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically ignoring my concerns that a homofobic's work is being posted around telling me to just "don't click on the thread" is the exact OPPOSITE of keeping this discussion civil. It's neglecting the fact that there's a minority that's directly attacked by this being in question, and silencing those who are.
Your concerns are ban this because you hate the guy. You claim he is homophobic. Forum feel pretty safe and if you hate someone and their videos then not watching those videos is good advice.

Mitsuvera

Oct 25, 2017
They can be cool, but I don't like having too much clutter so I usually avoid them. Anyway, another great video from Dunkey.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
I have some Limited Editions / Special Editions but usually not those 'Collectors' Editions with $100+ statues. Nintendo can make some great LEs and I'm just a sucker for nice steelbooks. The Fire Emblem Fates and Xenoblade Chronicles were especially nice steelbooks. Not all are bad, but they have to keep a bit modest and just include a nice boxart, maybe a small artbook, I appreciate soundtracks too but don't care a lot for the rest of the tat. Those very expensive editions that they way too much shelf space are indeed overkill. Things like the upcoming Xenoblade Chronicles 2 SE in EU I can get behind.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
I rarely grab them now. It's just not worth the extra $50-100 for stuff I wont use usually that adds no value to the actual game, every now and then there might be one I want though.

The Skyward Sword one for example was a good one because I got Motion+ with a fancy Wiimote which I didn't have initally, (plus the concert music) it was good value and saved me having to M+ separately to play the game.

EMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For years now only JRPGs have CE and LEs worth buying and they're usually only $10-20 more, not over $100.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Its nuts how much junk these publisher put in their CE's. Ill only buy in when it comes with say a soundtrack, steelbook, art book, making of videos, etc. The only CE with a physical item that I like is the Infamous 2 one. I still use the book bag from it. If it has something of use Im down. Skyward Sword came with the gold wiimote, and I still use that.

topplehat

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
I bought the MGSV one, but it's mostly just plastic junk that I throw out/sell a few years later. The only CEs I consider now are steelbooks.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If it includes a decent sized art book (100+ pages) or a full soundtrack (not a soundtrack sample) I am all for it. The game not included/no season pass ones are dumb.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
I bought more CE back in 2012-2014. I even have the Dead Island Riptide one, although I only got it for the dirt cheap price it once had on a sale.

These days I tend to limit myself to only buying CE's from games I know I will enjoy.

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
I felt the same way. It just doesn't seem like a Dunkey vid without the narration.
He seems to do these types of videos sparsely, the only other time I recall this happening was his E3 2016 video. I agree though, the video could have been better with narration, personal anecdotes with collector's editions, etc.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
It's no surprise that the most gimmicky collector's items turn out to be the biggest piles of dog crap. Stuff like wristwear is difficult to manufacture for a wide audience and is better suited for cosplayers and enthusiasts to take on than a video game publisher on a budget. That being said, I'm all in for a nice and simple collector's edition with a beautiful steelbook and a reasonably-sized figurine. I ended up getting the Odin's Sphere Storybook Edition and the Persona 5 Steal Your Heart Edition at launch and have no regrets.

Love it when a collector's edition goes on sale, too. I bought the Dark Souls 2 Collector Edition for somewhere around $20, and it came with an 8" figurine, the steelbook, and a few other goodies. Absolutely worth it for me.

Moskitokrebs

Oct 28, 2017
The only collectors edition that I bought was the swtor on release day, when bol.de had a system glitch and i bought for 49,99€

Meicyn

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Spent a lot of money on various collector's editions over the years. Probably the worst one was for Final Fantasy XIV 1.0's release, absolute garbage like the original game release itself. With the PS4's release, I now buy almost everything digital and have found myself with more money for more games. Go figure!

I made an exception for Sonic Mania since I had to have the Mega Drive/Sonic statue for display. It looks fantastic. A digital game code instead of a physical copy of the game helped push things over too.