• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for KH fans but at the same time those sounds like some very solid criticism, but then again maybe it's not something that really bothers KH fans.

I really like Dunkey's videos, his content is always in-depth and insightful despite the seemingly casual and comedic tone.

Feel bad for KH fans? KH3 delivered in spades for KH fans.

The ones complaining seem to be people that are new to the series or want the series to be something it isn't.

My one problem with the game is the lack of difficulty and post-game content, but it's the same as Vanilla KH2, so I'll just wait for the FM update or whatever they will call it.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like a plus tbh. Also the combat system is amazing, calling it "mashy" and making it sound like it's a damn Musou and that's a disservice to how good it is, all we need is Critical Mode and some balance.

I'm doing a Proud level 1 run and it still needs some balance but you really can't mash X to win, I can't wait for Critical mode.

Basically, it's the same as Vanilla KH2 was.

I need to try this. I was considering a Proud Level 1 run with just the Kingdom Key. It sounds like it can get tedious though.

I can't watch the review right now but 1/5 seems like an exaggeration when the gameplay is as good as it is.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
https://stephansuniverse.wordpress.com/2018/11/08/about-my-dunkey-article/

Wasn't hard to google. Fans of YouTubers are probably even worse than the shitty YouTubers themselves!
It's also not that hard to read your own link to the end though.

Dunkey has misogynist themes in his content, for sure. But does that mean you should never watch another Dunkey video? No, it doesn't. It's important to be critical.

I've seen him mature as a creator. He's moved away from the more blatant examples of misogyny and racism in his earlier videos, and I believe there are some truly useful criticisms of videogames delivered through a comedic lens. He doesn't use the slurs he used to, and whether that's because he's become more aware of how damaging language can be or he doesn't want a PR faux pas we won't know. But another YouTuber with millions of subscribers who stops throwing around slurs is progress (although an extremely low bar).
Dunkey has made some really shitty videos/comments in the past, and by "the past" I mostly think of 2012-13-ish. That was quite a while ago. I'm not saying everyone should forgive and forget and assume blindly he's a better man that just happened to forget to apologize, but yeah, it's been a while, and this video is completely valid and doesn't contain any of this shit a bunch of his videos did years ago.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 is a good game. Persona 5 treats gay people like shit. I am conflicted about Persona 5.

Dunkey is a homophobic asshole and yet this thread is like some cult with posts like "Praise the dunk" or using this review to confirm their own bias without playing the game. No wonder I see kids asking people to sub to Pewdiepie in random Twitch channels. Like what the fuck people, KH3 has probably hundreds of reviews on YouTube, can you pick one that isn't by a gigantic asshole? I don't care how funny he may be.
I don't mind people criticizing that aspect of Persona 5 as it absolutely deserves it for those NPC's. It just got a lot of threads with people declaring it the worst in other aspects, I disagree but that's besides the point.

I was just saying it seems any popular game gets a lot of people who hate it. Look at all the people saying Breath of the Wild in the "worst Zelda thread."

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the game and series a lot , but there are some serious omissions that hold it back. I can only see myself going back to play the Endgame, whereas I could play KH2(especially Final Mix) start to finish.
I had fun while I played it, but after I beat it and thought it about I was underwhelmed

The Iack of keyblades, side content, and poorly paced worlds really hurt it.

The journey through the Disney worlds was my favorite part this time. And I 100% disagree about the low Keyblade issue. You actually can use any Keyblade now instead of like in 1 or 2 where certain key blades were just better or had 1 specific use case.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
That sounds like a plus tbh. Also the combat system is amazing, calling it "mashy" and making it sound like it's a damn Musou and that's a disservice to how good it is, all we need is Critical Mode and some balance.

I'm doing a Proud level 1 run and it still needs some balance but you really can't mash X to win, I can't wait for Critical mode.

There's magic in the game, but I barely used it. I don' think I fought any boss where it wasn't find an opening, mash, and repeat.

That said the mashing is rather fun, especially with the Keyblade transformations, my favorite being the Wheel of Fate, which has two very fun transformations.

Also the game is beautiful and has great music. That goes a long a way.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I love KH3 but it does feel like a PS2 game. This is not a diss. Shovel Knight feels very 8/16bit and it's one my favs.

The invisible walls in the worlds, the horrible Gummi Ship stuff the, the incessant cutscenes, the mashy battle system. Just reminds me a lot of that era. Love the game, but it definitely feels from another era.

This is what kills me playing the game, damn near NOTHING has changed in almost two decades. The combat is the same as the first two games, the UI is the same, the dumb fucking Gummi ship segments are the same, the level design is the same, the same looping tracks; everything. How could the game fail to advance one fucking thing beyond presentation in a decade plus old series?

Nah, Press X to win is pretty accurate, especially the more leveled you are.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This isn't really a good look for the game, but Dunkey usually exaggerates his reviews. I doubt he really thinks it's a 1/5

Oct 25, 2017
That's great to hear, the fans waited a long time and It would suck to see them being disappointed.

I thought it was going to suck and that there was no way it would surpass my extremely unrealistic expecations, it was basically a Half Life 3 situation. And they actually did it, it delivered. It's already been a week since I finished it and I still can't believe the game is real haha.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
It is, the problem is that 3 just doesn't give a fuck and assumes you're caught on with all the story so far, and I'm happy it is that way, it's super bold for a big AAA game. The games are also super self-aware and even make fun of themselves.

Does it assume this? Because the entirety of Dunkey's video and what appears to be the plot of KHIII is that Sora has amnesia (again) and everyone is explaining the plot to every game to him (again). I mean maybe it just seems like they're not trying to catch everyone up because it's such a convoluted mess that even catching everyone up through expository dumps just seems novel because no one can remember the intricacies and just causes more confusion.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I need to try this. I was considering a Proud Level 1 run with just the Kingdom Key. It sounds like it can get tedious though.

I can't watch the review right now but 1/5 seems like an exaggeration when the gameplay is as good as it is.
The consensus is that Lvl 1 proud can be tedious if you're not on top of Keyblade Forging and Cooking. With the proper preparation the game does feel like a fun challenge. Which is fine if you don't mind slowing down and exploring the worlds. People have also recommended low level challenges or doing level 1 on the lower difficulties if you don't want the grind.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
that's honestly really sad if a hyperbolic youtube video made for easy clicks stops you from trying out a game

KH3 is better than any game i played last year and as a fan, is everything i hoped for.

Not really hyperbole. The game switched engines but the story, overall design and dialog stayed in the ps2 era. The intro to dunkys video was spot on. I beat the game out of obligation. I felt I grew out of its i was playing it.

Its got some decent combat and visuals though. I dont agree with dunkys videos that often but this one was spot on.

Oct 25, 2017

Learn to read. "I'm doing a Proud level 1 run and it still needs some balance but you really can't mash X to win."

Also as I said, people have a problem with the difficulty not the combat being some mash-fest, if someone mashes to win and doesn't explore the battle system at all it's fine, I get that the game doesn't even demand you to do otherwise but it doesn't mean the combat is simple like a Musou game.

There's magic in the game, but I barely used it. I don' think I fought any boss where it wasn't find an opening, mash, and repeat.

That said the mashing is rather fun, especially with the Keyblade transformations, my favorite being the Wheel of Fate, which has two very fun transformations.

I mixed it up magic wise, I had Thunder/Fire/Blizzard/Cure in my shortcuts and Thunder helps a lot when fighting several enemies at the same time or just dealing some instant ranged stuff. Firaga is broken for single-target enemies.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what kills me playing the game, damn near NOTHING has changed in almost two decades. The combat is the same as the first two games, the UI is the same, the dumb fucking Gummi ship segments are the same, the level design is the same, the same looping tracks; everything. How could the game fail to advance one fucking thing beyond presentation in a decade plus old series?
21aqbc.jpg

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

We did not play the same game. The level design is the same? How? Like compare Toy Box to any other previous KH game.

And how the hell is the Gummi ship the same? An open world exploration with optional content to engage with is this the same as an on rails shooter?

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
You can't be serious lol.

The combat depth of a Musou game doesn't even come close to what KH offers, haven't you played KH2:FM on Critical? It's basically the update I'm waiting for KH3, I hope they deliver it because it can elevate this game by a lot.

Proud level 1 has been fun so far, now that I'm done with the story and doing a casual replay while exploring the combat system it's pretty impressive, it just needs some some work which I'm sure it's coming at some point.

The problem people have is that the game is a joke difficulty wise and the game doesn't require you to explore the game mechanics at all to win, not that there's no combat depth. It's a crucial difference that some people don't seem to understand.
No, when you explore the games mechanics, the game becomes piss easy. You have to actively not use the Attractions and Supers to not trivialize a lot of the mob encounters. And yes KH2 and BbS on Proud Mode and Critical are pretty difficult... the same cant be said for KH3 (unless of course you are doing a Lv.1 run I guess).

Like the issue isnt so much with the mechanics (besides the Attractions), rather how weak the enemies are. A combat system is only as good as the enemies you fight against, and while they look cool, fighting them isnt that interesting.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also not that hard to read your own link to the end though.

Dunkey has made some really shitty videos/comments in the past, and by "the past" I mostly think of 2012-13-ish. That was quite a while ago. I'm not saying everyone should forgive and forget and assume blindly he's a better man that just happened to forget to apologize, but yeah, it's been a while, and this video is completely valid and doesn't contain any of this shit a bunch of his videos did years ago.

Yeah I disagree. Him not doing it to the same level as he did five years ago is not the same as addressing his problematic behavior.

I don't mind people criticizing that aspect of Persona 5 as it absolutely deserves it for those NPC's. It just got a lot of threads with people declaring it the worst in other aspects, I disagree but that's besides the point.

I was just saying it seems any popular game gets a lot of people who hate it. Look at all the people saying Breath of the Wild in the "worst Zelda thread."

There's a lot of hyperbole when it comes to talking about games or any medium at this point. It's how people stand out in a crowd of other, less caustic opinions. It is what it is really, people that take these criticisms to heart from people like Dunkey confuse me. It's a comedic channel.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
i'll have to play all the previous games if i want to play 3
the game comes with recaps in the menu, i'm sure there isn't that much stopping you from playing it if you really wanted to.

i get the feeling that people who aren't too interested in a certain game use these types of hyperbolic, nitpicky yt videos to reconfirm their beliefs, hand-waving any sort of positive impressions of the game. often the only exposure these people get to these games are through said videos so no shit it's gonna look bad. i'm just saying, it's a good game and if a dunkey video was enough to convince you to not bother then that's really sad.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree.

I think Cosmonaut Variety Hour has a much better review. Its still negative espically on the story, but it goes in depth as to why these issues exists. And I don't think this video is particularly interesting because I don't think his claims are really explained well. He's doing like this short byte thing I guess to be funny or save time but I feel it would be more interesting if he explained some of this stuff.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone

Magic lets you do cool things like if you use aero on the cotton ball heartless they lose their fluff. Or obviously using the respective element to counter an elemental heartless. Thunder completely demolishes hordes in this game especially when its upgraded to its command version.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the game comes with recaps in the menu, i'm sure there isn't that much stopping you from playing it if you really wanted to.

i get the feeling that people who aren't too interested in a certain game use these types of hyperbolic, nitpicky yt videos to reconfirm their beliefs, hand-waving any sort of positive impressions of the game. often the only exposure these people get to these games are through said videos so no shit it's gonna look bad. i'm just saying, it's a good game and if a dunkey video was enough to convince you to not bother then that's really sad.

Well, yes. This is a really recorrent thing on ERA.

Posts like "OUCH" and this kinda of stuff are just for this.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah. It's a double edge sword for me because I do miss that design. Modern open world design can be very overwhelming with the options available. KH3 is a return to that PS2 simplicity.

However, it does feel off. For example, San Fransokyo is a beautiful world, but it's ultimately empty lol. If you look at more modern open world games, similar worlds feel more alive.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Does it assume this? Because the entirety of Dunkey's video and what appears to be the plot of KHIII is that Sora has amnesia (again) and everyone is explaining the plot to every game to him (again). I mean maybe it just seems like they're not trying to catch everyone up because it's such a convoluted mess that even catching everyone up through expository dumps just seems novel because no one can remember the intricacies and just causes more confusion.

Sora just doesn't remember what happened in Chain of Memories, and events he obviously hasn't lived but other characters have. The "he has amnesia" is not really a thing.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Feel bad for KH fans? KH3 delivered in spades for KH fans.

The ones complaining seem to be people that are new to the series or want the series to be something it isn't.

My one problem with the game is the lack of difficulty and post-game content, but it's the same as Vanilla KH2, so I'll just wait for the FM update or whatever they will call it.

i think being a kh fan changed from 'i like this weird ff x disney thing' to 'i like all this other stuff that isn't ff x disney'

as someone who only played kh and kh2, how prevalent is the final fantasy stuff in kh3?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. It's a double edge sword for me because I do miss that design. However, it does feel off. For example, San Fransokyo is a beautiful world, but it's ultimately empty lol. If you look at more modern open world games, similar worlds feel more alive.
On the flipside you have Caribbean and Toy Box which are decently fun the explore and have a lot to them especially Caribbean

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
i think being a kh fan changed from 'i like this weird ff x disney thing' to 'i like all this other stuff that isn't ff x disney'

as someone who only played kh and kh2, how prevalent is the final fantasy stuff in kh3?
There is none, besides the Moogles and a refrence to Cloud and Auron from KH2.

Oct 25, 2017

There is basically nothing Final Fantasy in KH3.

Also most of the non-numbered games are needed for you to understand the story and be invested tbh, which is a reason many are not happy with KH3. For fans it's an amazing conclusion, for the rest it's "wtf is even going on".

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Jackshit unfortunately. Outside of what are essentially glorified cameos

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Yeah I disagree. Him not doing it to the same level as he did five years ago is not the same as addressing his problematic behavior.
I.. don't know what exactly you're disagreeing with though. Addressing his past problematic behaviour is absolutely valid, as I said. I just pointed out what the article you linked said about his more current content and the possibility he has changed since then.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Not gonna lie I really enjoy watching Dunkey shit on games sometimes even though I might disagree or feel bad, he is basically Zero Punctuation with gameplay.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The recaps are shit, let's face it. If it wasn't for the unoffcial YT recaps I would have missed many things (and I still did)

If you aren't invested in the series, you are not getting the intended experience, this is really a game for the fans of the series. The video is nitpicky but ilustrates quite well the problems with the game, specially for outsiders of the series or more casual fans.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
The journey through the Disney worlds was my favorite part this time. And I 100% disagree about the low Keyblade issue. You actually can use any Keyblade now instead of like in 1 or 2 where certain key blades were just better or had 1 specific use case.
The Disney worlds felt alive which I loved, but the actual content was a lot less appealing to me personally. Keyblades are noticeably less in this game, it is cool you can switch between them but it's not worth losing oath keeper, oblivion, and in general just having more Keyblades. Oathkeeper and Oblivion aren't in the finale of the saga. Think about that for a sec.

Drive forms>Keyblade transformations. Some of them transformations are even the same! And you can't duel wield

Once again I liked the game, but all of the above and the lack of FF characters keep it from being my favorite. It feels like half of a Kingdom Hearts game to me

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
As someone who has been enjoying KH3, I think he has some valid points. Though I must stress that Kingdom Hearts is more of a guilty pleasure of mine.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
holy fuck

That might be one of his best videos, lmao. The story is absolute garbage, and as much fun as I do have just screwing around in the combat he's not wrong at all to call almost everything style over substance with how absurdly powerful pure button mashing is on even the hardest difficulty.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Sora just doesn't remember what happened in Chain of Memories, and events he obviously hasn't lived but other characters have. The "he has amnesia" is not really a thing.

Sora just actively chooses not to remember what he's supposed to be doing most of time time and will get distracted by a plastic bag blowing in the wind.