• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is that the collection got a huge boost because casual fans wanted to catch up.

Again, in a post MCU world to think audiences can't handle non numbered titles is idiotic
I was probably a casual fan myself since I only played 1 and 2 before the collections released and it wasn't exactly rocket science to know which order to play the games in. It"s so clear and obvious I just don't see how this is even an argument.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are repeating yourself. What I want to know is how someone is supposed to know this isn't nessecary for the main story just by looking at it. Because nobody who isn't in the know could make the distinction between say, Dream Drop Distance and Unchained X.
Tell that to people I know who were never actually sure when to play what, whether they should buy 1.5 because they missed one game on a platform they didn't own or what the fuck 2.8 is about again.
Again, just because you, a person with a history of the franchise, on an enthusiast forum, don't have a problemw ith it doesn't mean nobody else will.

I was about to say lol.

I wouldn't buy the collection in the first place because 1.5 and 2.5 wouldn't make the slightest bit of sense to me.
If only there was some sort of description attached to online products which described what was being purchased.

(And frankly even if they'd already played the games before I'd still recommend the collections thanks to Thebes updated graphics, music, and finally getting all the sweet Final Mix content.)

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
His original VA sadly passed away. This is his official replacement ):

RIP to the original voice actor.

With that said, yikes. I'll never know what combination of direction and acting lead to this, but... That has no business being in a AAA game. Makes Arc Rise Fantasia sound Oscar-worthy. Absolutely dreadful. There's a lot of mediocre to bad voice acting in this video, make no mistake, but this? THIS? That's hall of shame material. And this is Disney's most iconic character? How on Earth did this happen?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Directly from the PS Store discreption.

Aw man it's so confusing, what games are in this?

Also I look forward to the people who complain about Avengers:Endgame because Ant-Man and the Wasp wasn't called "Captain America:Civil War 2 Avengers 2 1/2."
Dude (or sis), please take another look at that list of games and tell me with a straight face that shit doesn't look convoluted as fuck to you. Why don't all games have final mix. What does that mean anyway. Are the ones without inferior? 358/2 what now? So only two games got remastered cinematics?

And then you have people arguing in your favour in here actually discussing if its even the right order to play them in lmao.
Just saw the image posted in this thread, huh, you're right. That's kinda weird but personally I'd go with release order which the collections stick to aside from the 358/2 days mishap. Don't think it matters too much though in the long run.
The very fact you even have to discuss this after all this time should tell you something.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"No wit and no charm....just a bunch of filler bullshit until the developers get around to tell the story they wanted to tell about anime characters hitting each other."

Damn, that was a pretty savage review. It strangely made me want to play KH3 just to see how bad it gets, and because I always get a laugh hearing Goofy's voice explain esoteric ethereal anime nonsense.

"I do know hurt" is classic as well.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Couple of points for the people making the Marvel comparison.

1) Most people understand the Marvel structure because it's happened in real-time for them, i.e. they've seen the films one by one as they've released. If someone tried to approach the MCU in the same way as many people are having to approach the Kingdom Hearts series (a bunch of stuff with no clear numbering that released years ago) they'd probably find it just as confusing.

2) At the end of the day, if you're confused about the Marvel movies you can just watch them. Most of them make a reasonable amount of sense as standalone films, and they're only a couple of hours long each. On the other hand, you could watch the entire first phase of the MCU twice in the time it takes you to play the first Kingdom Hearts game.

Getting caught up with Kingdom Hearts is a very different kettle of fish to getting caught up with the MCU.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Dude (or sis), please take another look at that list of games and tell me with a straight face that shit doesn't look convoluted as fuck to you. Why don't all games have final mix. What does that mean anyway. Are the ones without inferior? 358/2 what now? So only two games got remastered cinematics?

And then you have people arguing in your favour in here actually discussing if its even the right order to play them in lmao.

The very fact you even have to discuss this after all this time should tell you something.
Doesn't invalidate my original post though. 1.5 and 2.5 Remix lay down the correct order to play the games. The 358/2 Days movie can be watched before or after KH2. This is not an if/or situation so if this was your big gotcha then I don't know what to tell you famalam.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
"No wit and no charm....just a bunch of filler bullshit until the developers get around to tell the story they wanted to tell about anime characters hitting each other."

Damn, that was a pretty savage review. It strangely made me want to play KH3 just to see how bad it gets, and because I always get a laugh hearing Goofy's voice explain esoteric ethereal anime nonsense.

"I do know hurt" is classic as well.

I can't disagree more with that specific statement. There is more charm in this game than most I've played. (That's hard to quantify though)

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The only hiccup with the collection Order is Days before Kingdom Hearts 2 and it's frankly works either way. It's basically like if you played MGS3 before MGS1. Yeah you'll spoil some stuff but it still works.

You said no one would look at something called 1.5 and be able to tell it's a collection.

That lists straight up tells you that it's a collection with 4 games and two cinematic remasters. Including KH1 and 2. And again ordered in a perfectly fine play order.

You seem desperate to paint the average consumer as a complete moron.

CatSoul

Nov 7, 2018
Dunkey nailed it. This game is ridiculous. However, I'll also acknowledge we're all wired differently. Some people just have the brains and specific life experience to get a kick out of ridiculous.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017

To add more fuel to this fire. There are a set of cards in Chain of Memories that you can't acquire unless you play 368/2 Days first. So the developers even lock you out of content in Game 2 unless you play Game 3 first.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The cuts of Donald saying "This looks like it might be a good place to find some ingredients" killed me.....especially the final one where he's saying it muffled and underwater.....as if nothing will stop this character from spouting his canned encouragement, no matter how inappropriate the setting.

PKMNTrainer

Oct 25, 2017
I think the 'obtuse' parts of the series are part of it's charm.

I don't find the dub of the scenes to be particularly worse than other media dubs I've experienced in the past. Certainly seems better than previous games in the franchise. I feel there are some legitimately funny moments in writing as well, ironic or otherwise. The out of context scenes of the video we're obviously selected to try and convey his point, but having played it there are several more positive examples that are ommitted.

This video really just plays to me like he's not invested in the series whatsoever. He talks so little about the gameplay, even though what he does say there is rather positive. The story and writing of Kingdom Hearts will always be the low hanging fruit for those who are not emotionally attached to the characters or have little connection with the narrative. Unfortunate that Dunkey doesn't like it but I doubt 3 is the game to change anyone's mind at this point. As a series fan I found the emotional payoffs in 3 to be more impactful than most games in recent memory.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first time I actually disagree with his opinion. He made some valid points on some things, but overall i disagree.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
The way everyone just stands around and these little pauses between everything that's being said just kill me.
It's been one of the biggest issues i've had with this franchise. I love these games, but actually sitting down to listen to the story becomes the biggest fucking pain cause the delivery of nearly every line spoken in a cutscene just feels terribly unnatural. I won't let that garbo tarnish my fun though, i still have a blast playing this shit.

Couple of points for the people making the Marvel comparison.

1) Most people understand the Marvel structure because it's happened in real-time for them, i.e. they've seen the films one by one as they've released. If someone tried to approach the MCU in the same way as many people are having to approach the Kingdom Hearts series (a bunch of stuff with no clear numbering that released years ago) they'd probably find it just as confusing.

2) At the end of the day, if you're confused about the Marvel movies you can just watch them. Most of them make a reasonable amount of sense as standalone films, and they're only a couple of hours long each. On the other hand, you could watch the entire first phase of the MCU twice in the time it takes you to play the first Kingdom Hearts game.

Getting caught up with Kingdom Hearts is a very different kettle of fish to getting caught up with the MCU.
Point 2 is the biggest thing in my books and why the comparison is a tad disingenuous on a fundamental level. Yeah, Infinity War is hot nonsense without most of the MCU films preceding it being in your mind, but it's about week or two's worth of movies to catch up with to get to that point. That's one Kingdom Hearts game in the same time frame, assuming you're mostly mainlining the story. Even with there being three games that were ultimately condensed down into digest movies, there are still five meaty games and a short prologue to get through.

To make it a bit more clear why the comparison doesn't work, there's nearly 40 hours worth of Zatoichi films out there starring Shintaro Katsu, spread across 26 films. You wouldn't even get to KH2 in that amount of time with how long it takes to get through KH1 and Re:CoM.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Man KH's story without Disney would be horrifying. Might be farther up it's own ass then EVA

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only hiccup with the collection Order is Days before Kingdom Hearts 2 and it's frankly works either way. It's basically like if you played MGS3 before MGS1. Yeah you'll spoil some stuff but it still works.

You said no one would look at something called 1.5 and be able to tell it's a collection.

That lists straight up tells you that it's a collection with 4 games and two cinematic remasters. Including KH1 and 2. And again ordered in a perfectly fine play order.

You seem desperate to paint the average consumer as a complete moron.
I've had some of these questions actually asked to me, I'm not making anything up here.

"What even is a cinematic remaster? Did only the cutscenes get remastered? Is this a movie?"
"So why are some Final Mixes and the others aren't? What does that even mean? Have there been other mixes? Is this some directors cut for games?"
"Why 1.5 and 2.5?"
"I need to play ALL OF THIS to make sense of 3? Looking at this, why the fuck is it called 3 anyway?"
"Do I need 2.8 in addition to this?"

I'm not trying to paint anything here. I find most of those questions quite reasonable instead of moronic, but nice of you to call some of my friends moronic I guess.
Doesn't invalidate my original post though. 1.5 and 2.5 Remix lay down the correct order to play the games. The 358/2 Days movie can be watched before or after KH2. This is not an if/or situation so if this was your big gotcha then I don't know what to tell you famalam.
Can't you argue without "stop posting bro", "get a grip" and "lol nice gotcha famalam"? That shit is annoying as fuck.

Actually you know what, I'll actually stop posting now because you're getting on my nerves real hard. Congratulations, that's not something I usually do.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's also not that hard to read your own link to the end though.

Dunkey has made some really shitty videos/comments in the past, and by "the past" I mostly think of 2012-13-ish. That was quite a while ago. I'm not saying everyone should forgive and forget and assume blindly he's a better man that just happened to forget to apologize, but yeah, it's been a while, and this video is completely valid and doesn't contain any of this shit a bunch of his videos did years ago.
2012-13 huh? Don't think so. He just doubles down when told not to use homophobic slurs and calls Twitch a "pussy" website for having slurs be bannable. Really doesn't seem it's about "forgetting" to apologize, when that's his attitude towards hateful slurs. In december 2017, so bit over a year ago.

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
RIP to the original voice actor.

With that said, yikes. I'll never know what combination of direction and acting lead to this, but... That has no business being in a AAA game. Makes Arc Rise Fantasia sound Oscar-worthy. Absolutely dreadful. There's a lot of mediocre to bad voice acting in this video, make no mistake, but this? THIS? That's hall of shame material. And this is Disney's most iconic character? How on Earth did this happen?

I'm going to place the blame on the new Actor

The previous actor infuses Mickey with charm,inocence and certain positive vibe even at the most mumbo jumbo KH dialogues

The new one actually believes he has to be super serious with the dialogue and it just doesn't work

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
argue? we were having an argument? i'm entertaining your inability to follow a basic play order laid out to you in this thread and in the game. no need to get so heated breh, it ain't that deep.

2c2vcUw.png

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like he played a Kingdom Hearts game. Not sure what he or anyone else with the same issues thought they were going to get when they started playing it.

With that said, love the game and currently trying to 100% it. Worth the 6 year wait IMO. Are there issues? Yes. The game at times doesn't give you time to breathe through gameplay in between story beats, some of the VAs don't feel like they're into it, and proud mode is extremely easy, while level 1 proud mode feels like you're doing fuck all at times.

8/10

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Why the Marvel comprehension? You can pick up what is happening, maybe not the details but enough to process it through listening and context. Cause they speak like actually self aware beings.

KH characters talks about loneiness, darkness, etc like some kid that just discover Goth and The Cure last week.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
This is clickbait at its finest judging by that score. You can be disappointed and even dislike KH3 but it has some level of polish, mechanics, etc that warrants more than a 1. I'm not giving this homophobe any clicks.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Man KH's story without Disney would be horrifying. Might be farther up it's own ass then EVA

As a Disney fan, I feel like if I played KH3 I'd just be constantly frustrated that the stuff I like was being shortchanged in favour of animu nonsense.

It's like your favourite game getting namechecked in The Big Bang Theory.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is clickbait at its finest judging by that score. You can be disappointed and even dislike KH3 but it has some level of polish, mechanics, etc that warrants more than a 1. I'm not giving this homophobe any clicks.
Except neither the title nor the thumbnail mention anything clickbaity. The title is straight up just "Kingdom Hearts 3"
Some of you should check what clickbait actually means. Why are you even in this thread when you don't even want to watch the video?

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the game but...

He wasn't wrong.

This thread might be a good place to find some ingredients
This is kind of where I stand too. Like, let's not kid ourselves here everyone: Kingdom Hearts 3 has a lot of flaws. For a lot of people these issues are going to be detrimental to their enjoyment of it, but for many others it isn't.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why the Marvel comprehension? You can pick up what is happening, maybe not the details but enough to process it through listening and context. Cause they speak like actually self aware beings.

KH characters talks about loneiness, darkness, etc like some kid that just discover Goth and The Cure last week.
Who the fuck are the space dudes with the tree?
Why is Hulk in Space?
Why is there magic now?
Why is Loki a good guy?
Why is Captain America wanted?
When did Spider-Man get here?

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Except neither the title nor the thumbnail mention anything clickbaity. The title is straight up just "Kingdom Hearts 3"
Some of you should check what clickbait actually means. Why are you even in this thread when you don't even want to watch the video?

Because I'm entitled to have an opinion towards the review? There are plenty of people here that have summarized the review. I don't need to watch it to critique it, especially if it gives him money.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a Disney fan, I feel like if I played KH3 I'd just be constantly frustrated that the stuff I like was being shortchanged in favour of animu nonsense.

It's like your favourite game getting namechecked in The Big Bang Theory.
So you haven't even played the game but feel you can judge how you'd feel about it?

Frankly I think this has been some of the best of their handling of Disney stuff in a while.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Dunkey went berserk on it, I have yet to buy it thanks to the huge dissapointed and bad taste FFXV left in my mouth, but I can't imagine it being that bad.

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because I'm entitled to have an opinion towards the review? There are plenty of people here that have summarized the review. I don't need to watch it to critique it, especially if it gives him money.
No you aren't if you haven't seen it. That's a pretty basic concept actually. The summaries in here are biased by the opinion on the matter of the person giving it, either because they don't like the game, love it, or simply hate the creator like you do. You can't even confirm if the one summarizing it has actually seen it.

Use an adblocker or something if it bothers you so much. But trying to enagage in a discussion about something you haven't even seen is really bad form. Also kinda pointless, because again, your clickbait accusation doesn't make any sense.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So you haven't even played the game but feel you can judge how you'd feel about it?

Based on what I've seen and heard, yep. I've known for a long time that the anime shenanigans are of absolutely zero interest to me, and everything I've been told points to that stuff being the driving force of KH3.

I'm actually interested in playing the game for the worlds and the gameplay, but I can't justify full price on a game where the story doesn't interest me.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Dunkey went berserk on it, I have yet to buy it thanks to the huge dissapointed and bad taste left FFXV left in my mouth, but I can't imagine it being that bad.
All his criticisms are valid and if someone wasn't a fan of the series (or JRPGs in general) I can easily see them really hating it. The final score is probably tongue-in-cheek but his reasoning isn't wrong.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game has received quite a backlash on reddit too so the criticism coming its way certainly isn't only from non-fans. It seems to be a divisive entry among the hardcore fans. Although I think the flaws have always existed in the series. It's whether you can overlook them.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
He's pretty much spot on with every single thing he said, not even one thing was exaggerated maybe except the tutorial joke. The game is great but the points he makes are so valid and everything becomes so much more aware after watching this condensed video. I can't say I disagree with him. The score is probably a joke but everything else he said is accurate.

The game is a mess narrative wise where the entire sum of the story is crammed into the final act of the game while still being convoluted and not making any sense from beginning to end, the Disney segment is a highlight but it's also filled with exposition with awful writing, the game is unbalanced and no mechanic is fleshed out or connected, and the game severely lacks content. It's still a good game but highly flawed, just like FFXV.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Game has received quite a backlash on reddit too so the criticism coming its way certainly isn't only from non-fans. It seems to be a divisive entry among the hardcore fans. Although I think the flaws have always existed in the series. It's whether you can overlook them.

It's not even split. Most of the hardcore fans I've spoken too are not pleased. All of them pretty much say KH2 is better.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I just hope all of this criticism is applied to DMC5 as well.

The game simply looks fantastic and super polished but since it's anime as fuck with a nonsense story that puts a prequel in the 3rd game and just decided that the 2nd game takes place before the 4th instead of after, and also has cringe dialogue clearly it will deserve a 1/5....Clearly.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I just hope all of this criticism is applied to DMC5 as well.

The game simply looks fantastic but since it's anime as fuck with a nonsense story and cringe dialogue clearly it will deserve a 1/5

Those are different things. DMCV is an action game. Gameplay is front and center. Story means little to no relevance even if it's there unlike KH3 where it's an RPG and story is crucial to the game. Come on now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I find this guy's voice completely intolerable (and avoid most of his content because of it), but this is admittedly amusing as an edit of the game that lets its convolutions speak for themselves, and I sort of wish he released alternative versions of these videos with game sounds on and the snivelling voice-over muted.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Those are different things. DMCV is an action game. Gameplay is front and center. Story means little to no relevance even if it's there unlike KH3 where it's an RPG and story is crucial to the game. Come on now.

Ah the "this doesn't count" defense

Many people care about DMC lore and really want to finally have that Vergil/Nero confirmation.

Story matters. It should for every game that tries to tell one