• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
My favourite KH fan defence is the one where they point out the plot isn't bad because it's all explained in the 14 years of spin off games between 2 and 3

1. That would be Square's fault for burying vital plot in spin off games, and by far more importantly:

2. I have played through all of them. Kingdom Hearts, as a series, has a diabolically horrible, badly written, mostly poorly acted plot that thinks it's being deep but in reality is a joke. I have always liked KH games purely for the gimmick of the Disney stuff but they well and truly lost me with the horrible, horrible other junk

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kingdom hearts haters are more annoying and toxic than kh fans. They push some agenda like it's morally wrong loving this game. Repeat the same sentences over again parroting other opinions.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
My favourite KH fan defence is the one where they point out the plot isn't bad because it's all explained in the 14 years of spin off games between 2 and 3

1. That would be Square's fault for burying vital plot in spin off games, and by far more importantly:

2. I have played through all of them. Kingdom Hearts, as a series, has a diabolically horrible, badly written, mostly poorly acted plot that thinks it's being deep but in reality is a joke. I have always liked KH games purely for the gimmick of the Disney stuff but they well and truly lost me with the horrible, horrible other junk
They never marketed them off as spin offs tho

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
ZKHZSaq.gif

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
argue? we were having an argument? i'm entertaining your inability to follow a basic play order laid out to you in this thread and in the game. no need to get so heated breh, it ain't that deep.

2c2vcUw.png
If only you wouldn't have been so busy with trying to be hilarious, maybe you would have noticed I wasn't talking about myself but people who don't have a concept of final mixes, cinematic remasters, 1.5s 2.5s and 2.8s, Unchained Xs, and all the other shit people had a decade + to get used to.

Maybe next time, "famalam".

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Kingdom hearts haters are more annoying and toxic than kh fans. They push some agenda like it's morally wrong loving this game. Repeat the same sentences over again parroting other opinions.
I can't get on board with this. I don't think there is anything morally wrong with loving KH. If it's your favorite thing ever, that's perfectly fine. But I don't get it. There is something profoundly different about our understandings of worth. It's like, I don't get furries. I don't hate them. I don't hold anything against them. But I don't get it. I can't wrap my head around anything that is going on there. I look at a furry convention and my only thought is, I don't understand or care about anything that is happening here. It's the exact same with Kingdom Hearts.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Absolutely no one is saying it isn't bad.

It's a fucking mess of retcons and deus ex machina.

And we like it that way

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
No you aren't if you haven't seen it. That's a pretty basic concept actually. The summaries in here are biased by the opinion on the matter of the person giving it, either because they don't like the game, love it, or simply hate the creator like you do. You can't even confirm if the one summarizing it has actually seen it.

Use an adblocker or something if it bothers you so much. But trying to enagage in a discussion about something you haven't even seen is really bad form. Also kinda pointless, because again, your clickbait accusation doesn't make any sense.

There are also supporters and people who agree with the review in this thread. I think you can get a pretty wide distribution of opinions reading all the posts.

It's clickbait because he knows when people hear about the review it'll direct traffic to the page. Something doesn't need to say "CLICK HERE" to be click bait.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
The video isn't meant to be a personal attack. It's a humorous look at the stuff that stood out to him as bad and worth criticizing. The series is incredibly easy to make fun of, but in no way does that translate to, "if you like this game you're an idiot."

OP
OP
Procheno

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
This is going to read like console warring, but here it goes. A lot of SONY-only gamers that I know and grew up with love Kingdom Hearts. I knew and continue to know nothing about the series, but their enthusiasm and fondness for it made me respect it. The Legend of Zelda makes me feel the same way, I thought, and that series is special, so Kingdom Hearts must be of a similar quality. I lent Ocarina of Time 3DS to one of these friends, thinking that they would experience a similar kind of magic. How wrong I was. After making it out of the Kokiri Forest, he quit and told me that the game didn't have enough cutscenes and had "too much freedom," unfavorably comparing it to Kingdom Hearts.

This shaped my opinion of KF ever since. I happened upon one of these cutscenes on YouTube, where Mickey or Goofey (I forget which) appears to die. The series is... I will probably never play it.
Some people should just stick to movies. Even then, I doubt this person has that good of taste for stories anyways so maybe stick to Hollywood blockbusters only ;P

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Persecution complex much? Who in the world said this? Mind pointing to someone? Agenda? Morally wrong? The video brings up good points. If simple criticisms and some jokes make you feel like someone told you you can't enjoy this game, that's on you to be honest. And is another case in point in regard to "fans" instead of the "haters".

There are also supporters and people who agree with the review in this thread. I think you can get a pretty wide distribution of opinions reading all the posts.

It's clickbait because he knows when people hear about the review it'll direct traffic to the page. Something doesn't need to say "CLICK HERE" to be click bait.
Of course you can, but you can't form your own, because you haven't seen it. You also didn't try to get a wide distribution of opinions, you went just for the score, because that's all you had. That's all your first post was. Are you also someone who has opinions on games you never played because some people like it and some don't and you just pick the opinions you prefer for whatever reason and then talk about the game? It's the same thing, and the same bullshit behaviour.

It's one of the major blockbusters so far this year, why wouldn't a youtuber focused on gaming make a KH3 video? So you're saying the sole fact he made a video about KH3 is clickbait now? Really? Are you sure the fact you don't like the person who did the video isn't clouding your judgement?

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people should just stick to movies. Even then, I doubt this person has that good of taste for stories anyways so maybe stick to Hollywood blockbusters only ;P
Or maybe they just have different taste.

Honestly I can understand a desire for a more linear narrative. While I enjoy both KH and Zelda I normally have a very difficult time getting into most open world games do to the feeling of being split in so many directions. So I can understand that feeling(though Zelda never did that to me.)

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
OK this is a good dunkey video, hope KH fans will be nice to him lol
It's Dunkey, and it's one of the most enthusiastic fanbases in gaming. This will go over as poorly as you expect, lol.
Dunkey said the f-word (no, not "fuck") once on a Twitch stream. He immediately caught a lot of flak for it from everyone, including from his wife. To my knowledge, he has never done it again.

I do think it is important to keep bringing up though, because there are evidently still people like yourself who haven't heard about this, and deserve to make an informed decision about the video content you consume.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The first issue is you assume they were spin-off's. They were the next entires in the series. It's not like KH3 was being developed during all that time.

The second I like the nonsense. I love over the top complex stories. Same reason I love Kojima and Susa 51.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Look I love the first two games and wanted to love this too, but can't we all agree that introducing time travel to this franchise was a huge mistake? It seems like it was an excuse to bring back past villains for this game but in practice it made an already convoluted story completely unruly.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do think it is important to keep bringing up though, because there are evidently still people like yourself who haven't heard about this, and deserve to make an informed decision about the video content you consume.
This is a fair assesment of how things should be handled. Sadly a lot of people just throw "he's a homophobe" into the room and leave again, which doesn't exactly help.

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first issue is you assume they were spin-off's. They were the next entires in the series. It's not like KH3 was being developed during all that time.

The second I like the nonsense. I love over the top complex stories. Same reason I love Kojima and Susa 51.
Ah you're still here. So did you feel like those questions were of moronic nature or not? I'd really like to know, because to me they make perfect sense getting asked by someone who never touched the series and isn't browsing resetera or reddit.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding homophobia.
Yikes. KH games have always been embarrassingly bad imo, but I always figured that was just my opinion since they're apparently popular.

But Dunkey has pretty much said what I've been hearing about KH3 from everyone that ISNT a super fan—it's just not a good game.

This is clickbait at its finest judging by that score. You can be disappointed and even dislike KH3 but it has some level of polish, mechanics, etc that warrants more than a 1. I'm not giving this homophobe any clicks.
Era's rage is out of control. You haven't even seen the video so you honestly aren't entitled to comment on it, and throwing the term homophobe around all silly nilly is incredibly irresponsible and childish. As many posters have pointed out, he's not wrong about the points he makes in his review. He even praises the environments and graphical polish.

Deleted member 17630

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna disagree here. I loved the first 2 because they had a cute little story with some above average combat. I'm 11hrs in and this one seems like they're still looking for the story and the combat is 90% special moves.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah you're still here. So did you feel like those questions were of moronic nature or not? I'd really like to know, because to me they make perfect sense getting asked by someone who never touched the series and isn't browsing resetera or reddit.
Didn't you say you were gonna stop posting?
I
Actually you know what, I'll actually stop posting now because you're getting on my nerves real hard. Congratulations, that's not something I usually do.

How nice of you to quote something unrelated to you to dredge up your personal grudge.

But as for your questions.

"What even is a cinematic remaster? Did only the cutscenes get remastered? Is this a movie?"
I mean they apparently figured out what it is on there own. So not sure what so terribly confusing here. It's a movie there you go.

"So why are some Final Mixes and the others aren't? What does that even mean? Have there been other mixes? Is this some directors cut for games?"
So again they were able to figure it out on their own? It pretty much is a directors cut. And again what exactly is the hard part here? It says Kingdom Hearts 1. You know exactly what you're getting into.
"Welcome to Kingdom Hearts." It's an HD collection. This is made perfectly clear so any confusion over the title requires bare minimum amount of effort to understand. Again if we were talking about 2.8 you might have a point.
"I need to play ALL OF THIS to make sense of 3? Looking at this, why the fuck is it called 3 anyway?"
What does this have to do with you're originally point that people wouldn't know what this collection was or what order they need to be played then? If they don't want to play the other games but still want to play the newest entry for some reason then watch a recap.
"Do I need 2.8 in addition to this?"
Yes. Pretty simple question to answer and again one that doesn't have anything to do with your original point.

So no those aren't idiotic but my point was you acted like people would be incapable of what this collection was. Seeing as these questions have nothing to do with that point or have the askers figuring it out for themselves I'd say we're good here.

So enjoy your "not posting."

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. KH games have always been embarrassingly bad imo, but I always figured that was just my opinion since they're apparently popular.

But Dunkey has pretty much said what I've been hearing about KH3 from everyone that ISNT a super fan—it's just not a good game.

Era's rage is out of control. You haven't even seen the video so you honestly aren't entitled to comment on it, and throwing the term homophobe around all silly nilly is incredibly irresponsible and childish. As many posters have pointed out, he's not wrong about the points he makes in his review. He even praises the environments and graphical polish.
https://opencritic.com/game/1532/kingdom-hearts-iii

Oh yeah this game is clearly garbage.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Not sure if you can call it an agenda, but I agree otherwise.

People get trollish with some jrpgs, and come to these threads in resetera (/v/, gamefaqs etc) to parrot the same lines again and again as you said. It is a criticism that mix common knowledge like the "convoluted" plot with misinformation as saying that the story is spread among spin-offs. Last time I have seen such a thing in this scale was with Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Hard to tell if some of them are upset with the game success or just doing it for the lulz.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Those are different things. DMCV is an action game. Gameplay is front and center. Story means little to no relevance even if it's there unlike KH3 where it's an RPG and story is crucial to the game. Come on now.
Shamus Young addressed this exact viewpoint in his Diablo 3 retrospective. Basically, the "it was never about the story, so you can't criticize the game no matter how grating and infantile the story turns out to be" doesn't work when the game is filled with so much terrible story and constantly forces you to sit through it in the most atrocious way possible.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The video isn't meant to be a personal attack. It's a humorous look at the stuff that stood out to him as bad and worth criticizing. The series is incredibly easy to make fun of, but in no way does that translate to, "if you like this game you're an idiot."
That video doesn't come off his goal to entertain with humor. That video came across expressing his frustrations with the game which coincidentally came off as humorous. The way he starts off the video about the best games of each year justifies my interpretation. KH3 fell flat on its face because he mentions KH1 as an all time great among that list of yearly great games.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Oh yes, calling someone a homophobe because they use the word faggot is so childish

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't you say you were gonna stop posting?

How nice of you to quote something unrelated to you to dredge up your personal grudge.

But as for your questions.

I mean they apparently figured out what it is on there own. So not sure what so terribly confusing here. It's a movie there you go.

So again they were able to figure it out on their own? It pretty much is a directors cut. And again what exactly is the hard part here? It says Kingdom Hearts 1. You know exactly what you're getting into.

"Welcome to Kingdom Hearts." It's an HD collection. This is made perfectly clear so any confusion over the title requires bare minimum amount of effort to understand. Again if we were talking about 2.8 you might have a point.

What does this have to do with you're originally point that people wouldn't know what this collection was or what order they need to be played then? If they don't want to play the other games but still want to play the newest entry for some reason then watch a recap.

Yes. Pretty simple question to answer and again one that doesn't have anything to do with your original point.

So no those aren't idiotic but my point was you acted like people would be incapable of what this collection was. Seeing as these questions have nothing to do with that point or have the askers figuring it out for themselves I'd say we're good here.

So enjoy your "not posting."
You basically told me I have morons as friends and then didn't answer anymore lol. I wouldn't call that a grudge, just not very polite. Quoting some message from you because I had no other means to get your attention is rather tame compared to that, don't you think?

The whole part about me not posting anymore was not directed at you, but you know that, not sure why you are even quoting it, considering it was directed at that troll, not you.

They were never sure about it and just guessed and I answered them. The fact that they guessed right shouldn't be a compliment to the games, the fact they had to guess at all should be an argument against them.
If I hadn't explained it to them they most likely would have just skipped to the next game on the storefront.

We are talking about 2.8 as well, because 2.8 exists. Just like Unchained X exists, and there again has research to be made to make sure you don't miss out by not playing it.

My orginal point was that not only the collection is convoluted, but the entirety of the franchise's lineup.

I acted like I got the questions asked that I got asked, and the obvious confusion at all the different games and editions and mandatory for story games and games that aren't and so on, from others that I experienced.

We are good indeed. Not sure why you are so hung up about the "not posting" thing though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can I believe that Dunkey is a homophobe who keeps company with shitty people like JonTron AND that Kingdom Hearts is a slurry pit of garbage nonsense?

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I mean what can I say, it's not a series everyone can enjoy. It is sappy anime melodrama and if you didn't play these games during that emo poetry livejournal anime phase of your childhood then it's gonna be especially hard to get a kick outta any of this stuff.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes, calling someone a homophobe because they use the word faggot is so childish
Based on the link someone posted a while back, that was a long time ago and his content has grown since then.

I don't follow Dunkey, I don't even care for his content but I also don't go around condemning people for shit they said years ago and have made an effort not to do since.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
To those uninformed; Dunkey has used derogatory slurs in the past and has made no effort to apologize or show that he has improved as a person. Please consider before you decide if you want to give him a view.

Based on the link someone posted a while back, that was a long time ago and his content has grown since then.

I don't follow Dunkey, I don't even care for his content but I also don't go around condemning people for shit they said years ago and have made an effort not to do since.
He said it as recently as a year ago, and when he did he doubled down on it when his wife called him out on it.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine if people don't like it but calling it not a good game if you're not a super fan is just not true.
How so? The only positive reviews I see at a glance are from Dornbush at IGN who is a KH fanatic and has been excited about this game for a long time, and Brad Ellis at Easy Allies who is also a KH superfan. All the other reviews for the most part echo what everyone else has been saying—the game is pretty, but not great. And that's fine, it doesn't have to be anything more than that. The game really only exists for fans of the series.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't make fun of the horrible dialogue. It adds much to my enjoyment of it

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
To those uninformed; Dunkey has used derogatory slurs in the past and has made no effort to apologize or show that he has improved as a person. Please consider before you decide if you want to give him a view.

He said it as recently as a year ago, and when he did he doubled down on it when his wife called him out on it.

Can you provide a source? Only thing I can find is from 2012.

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it and yeah, makes me never want to play the rest of the games. Only played 1.

That's just, wow. The dialogue, plot, experience sounds awful. Maybe it's better than he makes it seem and it's subjective of course but all of those sound like things I'd dislike so I appreciate the heads up lol

Man, Mickey's dialogue that he showed is so cringe

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Can you provide a source? Only thing I can find is from 2012.
The source was a Twitch stream. There was a clip made of it but it was deleted a few months ago once it started making the rounds, we even had a 9-page thread on it here. I do not know if it has been reuploaded anywhere.
What's the arbitrary amount of time he needs to be shunned for to be fully absolved? Two years? Three?

He made a mistake, apologized, and has made an effort to be a better person since.
Where did he apologize?

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How so? The only positive reviews I see at a glance are from Dornbush at IGN who is a KH fanatic and has been excited about this game for a long time, and Brad Ellis at Easy Allies who is also a KH superfan. All the other reviews for the most part echo what everyone else has been saying—the game is pretty, but not great. And that's fine, it doesn't have to be anything more than that. The game really only exists for fans of the series.
What are you even going on about? If you're just going by reviews which you have to since you haven't played it then you can just look at metacritic which has a score of 85. So clearly it's more than just 2 reviews unless the 50+ positive reviews on there are all by superfans?