• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
What are you even going on about? If you're just going by reviews which you have to since you haven't played it then you can just look at metacritic which has a score of 85. So clearly it's more than just 2 reviews unless the 50+ positive reviews on there are all by superfans?
Fair point— and like I said in my previous post I was always under the assumption that my opinion of the games was unpopular.

I guess my point is everything I've seen of this game has done nothing to change my option I had of the series, in fact only make it worse and the only time I've heard otherwise is from people who were fans of the series to begin with

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You'd think a thread about Disney video games wouldn't be so hostile.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The fact that he gave the game the equivalent of a reviewbomb on metacritic proves he's not even serious about making an actual review

I'm a hardcore fan, but i'll be the first to admit the franchise isnt perfect by any means.

At the same time however, KH3 is a good game that wraps up most plot points of the franchise(irrespective of how some of those plot points are handled) has fun combat(despite being inferior to KH2's), expansive level design, pretty good music and good production values. Anyone expecting more just because of the time since KH2 were expecting way too much and banking way too much on emotional nostalgia and baggage than a clear critical analysis of the game itself.

Last edited:

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Frozen world is legitimately awful. It's like they tried to show the highlight reels, and even the highlight reels are condensed. Sora and co barely felt involved with the outcome! Not to mention...

NOt even fighting Hans? Not seeing him fall to Darkness? Nothing? SO many missed opportunities

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand everyones anger at the 1/5 score, isn't it known that every 1 dumko point is worth 3 regular points?

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
The Frozen world is legitimately awful. It's like they tried to show the highlight reels, and even the highlight reels are condensed. Sora and co barely felt involved with the outcome! Not to mention...

NOt even fighting Hans? Not seeing him fall to Darkness? Nothing? SO many missed opportunities

But he does fall to darkness and you fight his heartless

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

I mean, that's how KH usually is, highlight reels of the plot of the worlds. Its not even a question of how things would be handled in the worlds not banking on original story content

Kingdom Hearts fans really don't like when you talk bad about their game

If its a hot take with no actual critique, it makes sense to be hostile to shitposts like that. I dont see the point of bringing that up.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
If its a hot take with no actual critique, it makes sense to be hostile to shitposts like that. I dont see the point of bringing that up.

There is nothing in the world that justifies that kind of reaction to someones lets play. He talked shit about Nier too but KH playthrough seemed to have brought out a whole new breed of aggression because apparently people took it as a personal slight and responded with petty vitriol, including shots at mental illness.

If you truly believe that criticizing a game is the same as getting personal and insulting someone then you're probably the type to do the same.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
There is nothing in the world that justifies that kind of reaction to someones lets play. He talked shit about Nier too but KH playthrough seemed to have brought out a whole new breed of aggression because apparently people took it as a personal slight and responded with petty vitriol, including shots at mental illness.

I don't condone personal attacks, so if people are talking like THAT, fuck em.

But it makes sense to call out shitty posts in general, and that post you linked was a clear shitpost. So for people actually criticizing the post itself, there ya go, that's my view.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

They could have done so much more with it. With
Hans in particular they could have had him teaming up with the Wolf like Clayton and the chameleon in KH1.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The way everyone just stands around and these little pauses between everything that's being said just kill me.

Seriously, why is it like this? Any attempt at comic timing is ruined because there's a few seconds of dead air between every character's lines; it's bizarre.

As someone who only barely touched the first two games and then jumped into KH3 because I just wanted to see Square Enix's newest big, expensive spectacle, I was pretty surprised by how bad it all felt to me. Combat was mashy with too many canned animations taking me out of the action, dialogue and voice acting were poor, and the Disney stuff just felt so off-brand. Soundalikes, questionable characterisation, and all that lovely Disney animation replaced with JRPG-style standing around on the spot for minutes at a time and occasionally making an anime gesture.

Oct 25, 2017
God, if you guys think KH3 is that bad, Dream Drop Distance would give you an aneurysm

It's not as good as Kingdom Hearts II, but pretty much every major concern with the game listed can be seen in other titles, while others don't have the combat, world design, or spectacle that KH3 brings to the table.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone expecting more just because of the time since KH2 were expecting way too much and banking way too much on emotional nostalgia and baggage than a clear critical analysis of the game itself.
Lol please. That's what Square banked on when they released this mediocre product because they knew KH fans like you would be there to break their fall.

No one who isn't a fan already of Kingdom Hearts is playing this game and coming out impressed. Its leagues behind modern day ARPGs pretty much all the action adventure games in that opening are better and have come out before this with less wait time and better mechanics. Its unnacceptable

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Because its a good game despite having some issues.. A hot take perspective from someone who has in the past made fun of the series and went into this game fully intending to light it on fire should be obvious

I don't think anyone sane buys games based solely on Dunkey videos but that doesn't mean that the criticisms are invalid just because they're exaggerated for comic effect. The whole point of his videos is that its a hot take, and nobody is trying to tell you otherwise.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are people upset over one person's opinion? Who cares. Only opinion that matters is your own. Form your own about the game. Get it or don't

Plenty of people WILL not buy the game and shit on it just because of personalities doing so. But who cares. If they do that, they probably wouldn't have gotten the game anyway

Most people interested in the game likely knew if they were gonna get it already or not. And those on the fence are unlikely to let a single person sway them. And if they do, well. Thats sad they didnt look into more thoughts to decide, but thier choice

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Lol please. That's what Square banked on when they released this mediocre product because they knew KH fans like you would be there to break their fall.

"mediocre product"? I disagree. The game is in line with other KH games that have been released since the first game. If one claims this to be a mediocre product, they are clearly not remembering what the franchise has actually been throughout all entrees, which has always been around this level. Fun games with clear problems in pretty much every installment. That should be the expectation.

I don't think anyone sane buys games based solely on Dunkey videos but that doesn't mean that the criticisms are invalid just because they're exaggerated for comic effect. The whole point of his videos is that its a hot take, and nobody is trying to tell you otherwise.

That's not true..dunkey has made plenty of comedic but honest videos in the past. There's no real differentiation at all between that and people taking from it the same views some people are clearly doing

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because its a good game despite having some issues.. A hot take perspective from someone who has in the past made fun of the series and went into this game fully intending to light it on fire should be obvious
Everything he said was apt so i dont even understand what the problem is. If by hot take you mean slightly hyperbolic sure but hes right on the money with his complaints.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, why is it like this? Any attempt at comic timing is ruined because there's a few seconds of dead air between every character's lines; it's bizarre.

As someone who only barely touched the first two games and then jumped into KH3 because I just wanted to see Square Enix's newest big, expensive spectacle, I was pretty surprised by how bad it all felt to me. Combat was mashy with too many canned animations taking me out of the action, dialogue and voice acting were poor, and the Disney stuff just felt so off-brand. Soundalikes, questionable characterisation, and all that lovely Disney animation replaced with JRPG-style standing around on the spot for minutes at a time and occasionally making an anime gesture.

My theory is that its nigh impossible to get all of these voice actors in the studio at the same time, not to mention a logistical nightmare given the scope of the script and how many reworks each line probably had during development (which is not even accounting for mandatory Disney changes, which of course they are super controlling about). I'd wager a lot of it was recorded separately in completely different studios over multiple years and then woven together in editing.

Anyway, the pauses are either a symptom of an arduous recording process, or an intentional aesthetic they've leaned into because of that arduous and unnatural recording process, so that everything sounds equally weird.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Everything he said was apt so i dont even understand what the problem is. If by hot take you mean slightly hyperbolic sure but hes right on the money with his complaints.

"slightly hyperbolic"

1/5

Okay. Fair issues you can raise with the game but giving it the worst score is the same as a publication giving it a 10 out of 10 despite raising those same issues. Completely meaningless

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That's not true..dunkey has made plenty of comedic but honest videos in the past. There's no real differentiation at all between that and people taking from it the same views some people are clearly doing

Yeah, but we also already know his stance on Kingdom Hearts and what this video would be like. You're also taking Dunko points a bit too seriously.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah, but we also already know his stance on Kingdom Hearts and what this video would be like. You're also taking Dunko points a bit too seriously.

And a lot of people dont and go in expecting someone to actually say something fair. You underestimate amount of people who actually watch these videos and then base their entire perception on memes. This does not go without notice by the people creating the content

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even split. Most of the hardcore fans I've spoken too are not pleased. All of them pretty much say KH2 is better.

KH2FM is still king, but that doesn't mean KH3 is not good, it's already better than KH2 Vanilla was, so hopefully the FM version or whatever update they are planning elevates the game to the heights of KH2FM.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
And a lot of people dont and go in expecting someone to actually say something fair. You underestimate amount of people who actually watch these videos and then base their entire perception on memes. This does not go without notice by the people creating the content

Just saying Dunko points aren't going to be added to Metacritic any time soon. If people take Dunkey videos as gospel without a second opinion they're probably very young.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"mediocre product"? I disagree. The game is in line with other KH games that have been released since the first game. If one claims this to be a mediocre product, they are clearly not remembering what the franchise has actually been throughout all entrees, which has always been around this level. Fun games with clear problems in pretty much every installment. That should be the expectation.
The franchise is actually about Disney x Final Fantasy. This is what Nomura proposed to Square. We didn't even get the Final Fantasy so already there are red flags. If you consider that to be a problem instead of a fundamental betrayal of what fans have come to expect then clearly you aren't remembering either. But I'm just going to hold developers of long running franchises to a higher standard, and you can do what you want.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

No one who isn't a fan already of Kingdom Hearts is playing this game and coming out impressed. Its leagues behind modern day ARPGs pretty much all the action adventure games in that opening are better and have come out before this with less wait time and better mechanics. Its unnacceptable

This the single most hyperbolic post I've seen considering the sales, reviews and reaction from most outlets.

And it's funny because it's word for word the same kind of hot takes KH2 got

The franchise is actually about Disney x Final Fantasy. This is what Nomura proposed to Square. We didn't even get the Final Fantasy so already there are red flags. If you consider that to be a problem instead of a fundamental betrayal of what fans have come to expect then clearly you aren't remembering either. But I'm just going to hold developers of long running franchises to a higher standard, and you can do what you want.

Fans know that the last FF cameo was a brief appearance from Zack 12 years ago. DDD, X and BBS 0.2 had no FF. We knew what to expect

And KH was pitched as a boy travelling to Disney worlds. FF having cameos came later.

You're full of it

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"slightly hyperbolic"

1/5

Okay. Fair issues you can raise with the game but giving it the worst score is the same as a publication giving it a 10 out of 10 despite raising those same issues. Completely meaningless
Are we really doing the "review scores objectively cant be low cause many other outlets rated it highly" routine? If he feels its a 1/5 then that's totally fine. Notice you arent engaging his actual arguments but the subjective score he gave it.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
KH3 ending spoilers

The fact that Nomura tried to redeem Xehanort at the end of the game is just bad, when minutes before this he killed Kairi, and thats just the most recent bad guy thing he did.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's clearly reviewing well so some people clearly like it.

As for the FF stuff it's only prominent in 1+2 and far less in everything else. Heck there wasn't any FF in the game directly before this one.

I'm disappointed at the little FF representation too, I'm hoping Radient Garden is DLC, but calling it a betrayal is just weird to me. The Disney and original characters have always been more prominent.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
imagine getting this worked up over someone's opinion of a video game

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
bought it, enjoying the hell out of it..........easily agree with almost everything he said though lol.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This the single most hyperbolic post I've seen considering the sales, reviews and reaction from most outlets.

And it's funny because it's word for word the same kind of hot takes KH2 got

Fans know that the last FF cameo was a brief appearance from Zack 12 years ago. DDD, X and BBS 0.2 had no FF. We knew what to expect

And KH was pitched as a boy travelling to Disney worlds. FF having cameos came later.

You're full of it
No we didn't know what to expect because every mainline KH has had Final Fantasy. Every game in that opening montage was recieved better than KH3 except Last Guardian, which actually share alot of similarities. So how is it hyperbole. After the Disney pitch, when Kingdom Hearts turned into an actual greenlit product Final Fantasy was in the blueprint. But now i can't find the source so I'll let you have that one. Its not an exaggeration that this game has the makeup of a PS3 game and is lacking a generation worth of improvements.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
KH2FM is still king, but that doesn't mean KH3 is not good, it's already better than KH2 Vanilla was, so hopefully the FM version or whatever update they are planning elevates the game to the heights of KH2FM.
It seems to me this is the prevailing fan opinion so far. The easy combat and attractions has been the most criticized point by fans, and I am sure KH3FM, dlc or so will be able to improve this.

The sole fact that fans are comparing it to KH2 Vanilla is saying a lot already of KH3 reception. I believe most will end up ranking it fairly above KH1, CoM, Days and 3D.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
No we didn't know what to expect because every mainline KH has had Final Fantasy. Every game in that opening montage was recieved better than KH3 except Last Guardian, which actually share alot of similarities. So how is it hyperbole. After the Disney pitch, when Kingdom Hearts turned into an actual greenlit product Final Fantasy was in the blueprint. But now i can't find the source so I'll let you have that one. Its not an exaggeration that this game has the makeup of a PS3 game and is lacking a generation worth of improvements.

Are you actually saying that KH3 is being poorly received?

Must be nice living in that alternate reality. I imagine Battlefront 2 was well received there?

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kingdom Hearts is the only game franchise where I tolerate all the bullshit and ex machinas in the story. I love it all.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It seems to me this is the prevailing fan opinion so far. The easy combat and attractions has been the most criticized point by fans, and I am sure KH3FM, dlc or so will be able to improve this.

The sole fact that fans are comparing it to KH2 Vanilla is saying a lot already of KH3 reception. I believe most will end up ranking it fairly above KH1, CoM, Days and 3D.

Pretty much. it's like if your Zelda game was immediately compared to Ocarina.

You did something good