• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Dunkey went berserk on it, I have yet to buy it thanks to the huge dissapointed and bad taste left FFXV left in my mouth, but I can't imagine it being that bad.

I'd rather play FF15 then this tbh and I feel pretty much the same as you when it comes to FF15. The combat is so brain-dead bad that there's no way I'm going to play this for another 30-50 hours.

All I know for sure it's that me and modern square enix are incompatible going forward, I'm pretty much done with them with their jrpgs.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Fans know that the last FF cameo was a brief appearance from Zack 12 years ago. DDD, X and BBS 0.2 had no FF. We knew what to expect

And KH was pitched as a boy travelling to Disney worlds. FF having cameos came later.

You're full of it
aaaaaaaaaaaaah, so that's why DDD felt like something was missing!
I guess that's why I skipped a lot of recent entries as well.
If there's no FF in KH3 I can safely skip it then.
I can take all the cheese in the world but no FF at all, not a hint of Lightning or Noctis makes the whole thing kind of pointless.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather play FF15 then this tbh and I feel pretty much the same as you when it comes to FF15. The combat is so brain-dead bad that there's no way I'm going to play this for another 30-50 hours.

You don't have to worry about combat when you're forced to watch a near identical Let it Go in its entirety. The combat never bothered me anyway.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
#realmofdarkness

(I don't disagree with many of his points, while I give the game more positive recognition than his conclusion.)

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
He's a localization guy though, right? Not a scenario/dialogue writer. Or has he actually written a game for Square?
Yeah, he's a localiser, so he's limited to what he's given to work with in that respect. He added a lot of flourish to FF12 in the translation, though, and was producer on the actual dub. It was his decision, iirc, to hire theatre actors over the usual video game VAs.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I didn't play the game but this review seems to reafirm some things that make me avoid the saga, especially 3.

-The game has some scenes that are basically 1:1 with the Disney films that inspire them (I watched some Pirates comparisons and most scenes are almost identical). What's the point? Creating new stories should be more interesting, both for the fans of the movies and to integrate the worlds into the KH universe.
-Gameplay doesn't look that good. I dislike games that offer lots of gameplay segments but none of them is fleshed. I know that the combat is praised by everyone (what I played from 1, half the game or so, wasn't especially good regarding combat) but when I watch combat videos I see lots of stars/shiny things/color explosions everywhere, the character doing lots of crazy combos and lots of special animations. It seems more on the flashy/button mashy side than in the balanaced/well executed one, but maybe I'm wrong.
-The enemies look really dumb, all the original characters in the game look bad and are a bad contrast against Disney's simple but charming characters.

As I've said, never played 3, only halfway through 1 and some levels of 2, and never understood the appeal of the saga aside from having Disney content, that I don't love especially either.

AriesM4rch

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of the second half, which was bad; I still enjoyed the game.
He does raise valid points that I agree with though.

AriesM4rch

Oct 27, 2017
-The game has some scenes that are basically 1:1 with the Disney films that inspire them (I watched some Pirates comparisons and most scenes are almost identical). What's the point? Creating new stories should be more interesting, both for the fans of the movies and to integrate the worlds into the KH universe.
This was why Toy Story was my favorite world in the game, it actually felt like you were part of the world unlike Frozen and Tangled. I don't think Disney integration has been great in the series since KH1, even KH2 (my fave) had similar issues.

Oct 26, 2017
This was why Toy Story was my favorite world in the game, it actually felt like you were part of the world unlike Frozen and Tangled. I don't think Disney integration has been great in the series since KH1, even KH2 (my fave) had similar issues.
I loved KH2, but yeah. The worlds really started putting me to sleep in that one.

Feb 2, 2019
Feel bad for KH fans? KH3 delivered in spades for KH fans.

The ones complaining seem to be people that are new to the series or want the series to be something it isn't.

My one problem with the game is the lack of difficulty and post-game content, but it's the same as Vanilla KH2, so I'll just wait for the FM update or whatever they will call it.

Fan since the first one has been released. Was disappointed by 2, even more disappointed by 3 which is a meh 5/10 game to me. Franchise went to shit after KH1.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Haven't played any of the games, and videos like these just convice me that I shouldn't do it
Good video after all, and the game looks cringy and cheesy but he didn't touch on anything gameplay wise, which I guess is where most people would forget the story and focus on while playing after finished with the story

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't played any of the games, and videos like these just convice me that I shouldn't do it
Good video after all, and the game looks cringy and cheesy but he didn't touch on anything gameplay wise, which I guess is where most people would forget the story and focus on while playing after finished with the story
Lol. You have a Danganronpa avatar, I doubt you cringed from the cheesiness of KH's dialogue. Instead of light and darkness, replace it with hope and despair.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Fan since the first one has been released. Was disappointed by 2, even more disappointed by 3 which is a meh 5/10 game to me. Franchise went to shit after KH1.
You are a fan since the first but say the franchise went to shit after it? I mean, it is your opinion, but I don't understand why would you insist on a long standing series you seem to dislike.

Also, there are different types of KH fans. The core fanbase enjoys Nomura story, which only took off for good after KH1. The story is kind of in there in the first one, but pretty tame. On the other hand, the Disney side was better integrated in KH1, which might have been a strong point for you. Not sure why else would you say the franchise went down after it.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have never played a kingdom hearts game, but i always assumed its awful, nonsensical story was part of its charm and the games were self-aware.

The game might be self aware, but I don't think I could say the same about many of its fans. Y'all need to come to grips that it's ok to have fun with something that's fucking stupid.

Feb 2, 2019
You are a fan since the first but say the franchise went to shit after it? I mean, it is your opinion, but I don't understand why would you insist on a long standing series you seem to dislike.

Also, there are different types of KH fans. The core fanbase enjoys Nomura story, which only took off for good after KH1. The story is kind of in there in the first one, but pretty tame. On the other hand, the Disney side was better integrated in KH1, which might have been a strong point for you. Not sure why else would you say the franchise went down after it.

I could write a whole essay about how KH1 did everything better than the rest, except for KH2FM critical mode gameplay, but I certainly won't spend that much time on arguing about a franchise I consider as a joke now, especially on internet.

To sum it up quickly : KH1 was subtle, it had a proper shroud of mystery and the scenario + plot were tame enough to not get in the way. Almost every world we visit is about the "world thematic". Tarzan discover a new world, Aladdin want to get into a world he doesn't belong, Ariel want to quit her own world for her lover etc. Everything was way better integrated (Leon gives you Simba, Sora learn to fly in Neverland...). Even Sephiroth cameo might be the best video game cameo ever made and a genius move. He worked perfectly as the ultimate challenge of the game and at that time he wasn't featured everywhere like he is now. Everything in KH1 was carefully crafted and it shows, even the story is quite good and entertaining, compared to the garbage it become after this episode. You could even argue Hikari is the best theme song. I could go on about my reasons, but it's not worth it. Outside of the dated gameplay (2002 game), KH1 is still king in my book. I'm an absolut fan of the first game and you're right, maybe I can't label myself as a "true" fan of the franchise since I despised the rest of the episode, especially the abomination that is UX and the handheld episodes.

I thought they would build on top of KH2 and KH1, learn from their mistake and ship a polished product, but they didn't.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
if you flip the score around it's a 5/1 which has a 5 times better score than banjo kazooie and ocarina of time

always knew dunkey was a big fan but WoW

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. You have a Danganronpa avatar, I doubt you cringed from the cheesiness of KH's dialogue. Instead of light and darkness, replace it with hope and despair.
While most of Danganronpa's dialogue is better than Kingdom Hearts' (Which really only means that an actual person wrote the dialogue), Danganronpa and Kingdom Hearts fill a very specific niche for me, along with stuff like Jojo's. Only while the other series mostly have some sort of actual creative element building to something greater, Kingdom Hearts often feels like the word salad version of an actual story. But bet that I love the unhinged mess Nomura's backed himself into

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

Fan of the 1st and 2nd as well, and I thought they got progressively worst. KH3 is by far the worst offender.
Different types of KH fans is now grasping for straws, as the story was 1 of many issues I had with KH3.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I could write a whole essay about how KH1 did everything better than the rest, except for KH2FM critical mode gameplay, but I certainly won't spend that much time on arguing about a franchise I consider as a joke now, especially on internet.

To sum it up quickly : KH1 was subtle, it had a proper shroud of mystery and the scenario + plot were tame enough to not get in the way. Almost every world we visit is about the "world thematic". Tarzan discover a new world, Aladdin want to get into a world he doesn't belong, Ariel want to quit her own world for her lover etc. Everything was way better integrated (Leon gives you Simba, Sora learn to fly in Neverland...). Even Sephiroth cameo might be the best video game cameo ever made and a genius move. He worked perfectly as the ultimate challenge of the game and at that time he wasn't featured everywhere like he is now. Everything in KH1 was carefully crafted and it shows, even the story is quite good and entertaining, compared to the garbage it become after this episode. You could even argue Hikari is the best theme song. I could go on about my reasons, but it's not worth it. Outside of the dated gameplay (2002 game), KH1 is still king in my book. I'm an absolut fan of the first game and you're right, maybe I can't label myself as a "true" fan of the franchise since I despised the rest of the episode, especially the abomination that is UX and the handheld episodes.

I thought they would build on top of KH2 and KH1, learn from their mistake and ship a polished product, but they didn't.

I agree with this. Visiting worlds felt more natural in KH1. 2 onward they mostly felt like cliff notes versions of the film stories. Like, it felt like it was an obligation to include the Disney stuff when Nomura wanted to tell his own story with anime peeps. I still liked 2 (Tron, Pirates worlds) and it felt like a good stopping place for that particular story. But they keep pumping out new, clumsy side stories that feel like an artificial extension for fans only. I think this series has been coasting on the good will of 1 and 2.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
I loved it and felt it did a fairly good job of closing a lot of the plot holes I had issues with, but I can't disagree with anything he's saying. I went into KH3 knowing it was going to be a campy mess, but just like playing the next Warriors game it's a campy mess I know and love.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Well I hope that the "other parts" of KH is worth it though, since despair and hope is certainly not why I finished the Danganronpa series lmao

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
'Morally wrong loving this game', holy shit dude, persecution complex much? Are you really that insecure over people criticizing Kingdom Hearts because goddamn.

I have list of criticism on kh3 in posted on two threads already, not even posting again.

Unlike some dumbasses who sprout some bullshit about this game who hasnt even play a single hour in this franchise because it's apperantly cool to it nowdays.

Bullshit like corrider gameplay and empty worlds(Only monstropolis is valid), worse combat than kh 1, complaining about long cutscenes when you can just skip it, i mean you all said this story is dogshit anyway, skip all dialogue then.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I just hope all of this criticism is applied to DMC5 as well.

giphy.gif

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
He's completely right but I love the game anyway. This is coming from someone who only played the first and Chain of Memories, too. ...though I did watch that timeline series leading up to the game so I could follow the story.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Eh. This doesn't speak to my experience with the game. I was never too bothered by tutorials either. You get a lot of them up-front but, hey, video games. All of the story stuff is par for the course and, if you take the time to learn the lore, it's mostly straightforward. That's a big ask, but the game also does its best to fill in newer players through brief real-time exposition (which Dunkey also complains about, so it seems like there's no winning with him).

His dialogue examples are cherry-picked to the max, but he did make me realize how awful Riku's VO is. Probably the worst in the game in retrospect, but that flat, lifeless delivery is (in part) a character trait. But that doesn't make it good. As with everything, there's a spectrum here. Some of the VO is killer, some middling, some awful-- but of course he'd only play the bad bits if that supports his stance.

He also called the Pirates films incomprehensible which... what? I watched those when I was a child in middle school and they didn't seem too hard to follow. I really appreciated the way that, for the most part, KH3 doesn't retcon Sora into playing a pivotal part in the film plots. He does not exist to guide and motivate these Disney characters as he did in past games. Now, those characters have agency and do whatever the fuck they want, making Sora and Co. feel more like inhabitants of those worlds, which I find preferable.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Because its a good game despite having some issues.. A hot take perspective from someone who has in the past made fun of the series and went into this game fully intending to light it on fire should be obvious

Just seeing these flaws and it sitting at an 85 on metacritic confused me. I guess it must be an amazing game then, to have such glaring faults and still rate so highly. I'll have to read some re iews and see what it is that warrants those scores.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*yawn

It's so easy to shit on this the game isn't it.
Kinda gets boring after a while....

As for the story, I'd say that despite its messiness, it is capable of making emotional scenes, well, emotional.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope all of this criticism is applied to DMC5 as well.

The game simply looks fantastic and super polished but since it's anime as fuck with a nonsense story that puts a prequel in the 3rd game and just decided that the 2nd game takes place before the 4th instead of after, and also has cringe dialogue clearly it will deserve a 1/5....Clearly.

Criticism around DMC5 being too easy?
Criticism around DMC5's gameplay being shallow and boring?
Criticism around DMC5 having too many cutscenes?
Criticism around DMC5 having terrible voice acting?
Criticism around DMC5 being flatout BORING?

Yup, all of KH3 criticism will be applied to DMC5.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

tumblr_pfcd4u7Rly1x2iq47o4_500.gif

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, DMC5's writing and level design are... not going to be very impressive.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
What a fun thread this is. One of the few 'reviewers' that really bash on the game and suddenly you see all the Kingdom Hearts haters gathering. The funniest thing is that half of the People here haven't even played the game but also step on the hate train. :)

And then this review. He complains about some explantion screens, lol ok. And then he goes on for seven minutes about some awkward dialoges. Yes some of the dialoge could be better, but it's already a major step up from previous games.

And ow yeah he starts complaining about Disney worlds and their pacing and he uses Tangled as example. Probably the most Well paced world in thé series that literally explain the whole movie in a Kingdom Hearts-version.

And he also didn't like that the game has so much to offer....

This is just a typical 'reviewer' that bashes a popular, good product to get some views. If someone has problems with KH3 that I can understand. I can even understand if you think the game is ok and not that great. But if you literally can't say anything good.about it and just hate everything then you just aren't objective...

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree, I think time will look very fondly on KH III, other finales like both MGS4 and Mass Effect 3 fucked up at the finishing unlike where KH 3 succeded. Even Uncharted 4's finale got a bit dodgy with his brother coming out of nowhere. For one thing It's definitely not a 1/5 game when the worlds are much interactable, bigger and have a lot more things to discover than KH2's. As for charm, the Ratatouille Bistro and classic Kingdom games are overwhelming with charm. :D

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Watching this right after watching a 50mins+ video essay of FFXV made me realize that I will never like anything that Nomura had his hands in it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I see this forum has started the hate train which happens with 90 percent of games on here.

Kingdom Hearts is ALWAYS going to be divisive. It is just that type of game. I love Persona, it is a great series (though there are some problematic elements). Those games inevitably receive the same kind of treatment. It is the nature of the beast.

Just make sure to not focus solely on the criticisms of the game. There are TONS of people celebrating the franchise here. Once again, it is just the type of game that is going to divide people. There is nothing wrong with that.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
Watching this right after watching a 50mins+ video essay of FFXV made me realize that I will never like anything that Nomura had his hands in it.
He's the edgelord master, you most likely like all of his games, or hate everything he does, since, well it works. You can see by this thread.