• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
This isnt true at all of people on this board consistently defend the story. Theres even an entire thread about it here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ki...because-it-focuses-on-earned-happiness.98496/
Why does it matter if someone enjoys KH's story though?

I don't know, I guess I've always been the kind of person that can enjoy some stupid stories. I can't speak for KH on the whole because I'm still working my way through the series, but as far as I've seen it's silly and stupid, and also largely harmless, so it seems strange to get worked up over others having fun with it.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So reading any of the tutorials doesn't require more than 30 sec, and there are far less than shit like XC2.

The story in this game might be the easiest to follow, Sora needs the power of waking to be able to bring back Ven and Aqua, and together fight Xehanort. So telling is the worst yet is such hyperbolic bullshit. Even when they use several scenes to explain with apples and oranges, plot points of past games and who is who.

When has KH not been flashy? And dunkey forgets the whole magic system and the keyblade transformations and how good and varied is the system.

Most of the shit he mentioned is just filler to justify his aversion to the main plotline. The game needed to be more difficult for the players that wanted more of a challenge, but for the audience it works and it's not frustrating at all.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
So reading any of the tutorials doesn't require more than 30 sec, and there are far less than shit like XC2.

The story in this game might be the easiest to follow, Sora needs the power of waking to be able to bring back Ven and Aqua, and together fight Xehanort. So telling is the worst yet is such hyperbolic bullshit. Even when they use several scenes to explain with apples and oranges, plot points of past games and who is who.

When has KH not been flashy? And dunkey forgets the whole magic system and the keyblade transformations and how good and varied is the system.

Most of the shit he mentioned is just filler to justify his aversion to the main plotline. The game needed to be more difficult for the players that wanted more of a challenge, but for the audience it works and it's not frustrating at all.

Dunkey has always been one of gameplay > story, I imagine because it is so easy to plow your way with attractions / transformations / etc, that someone like him will feel even more disconnected to the game and end up hating it, hopefully if Critical ever comes, they tone the heck down of everything or at least add MP use for those ultra powerful abilities, they should even change it now on proud.

He has mention he hates anime and KH is the most anime a game has ever been but again, saying it's a 1/5 on his scale seems way too harsh.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I like dunkey for his comedic videos but this seems really reductionist. The heavy editing seems misleading too; I haven't played it but I watched some newplay Twitch streams and it's not that bad with the tutorial prompts nor the narrative.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Which is a shame because I love the new goofier version from the amazing Youtube series of shorts!

Sounds better here, could be a matter of direction and the shitty sound quality of the voice work in KH3.

It's funny to me that people still call Mickey's current voice "new" considering Bret Iwan has been playing Mickey for almost 10 years lol

There hasn't been a lot of recent voice material for Mickey I think. I believe a lot of attractions at Disney World are still using Wayne's voice.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
There hasn't been a lot of recent voice material for Mickey I think. I believe a lot of attractions at Disney World are still using Wayne's voice.

There's tons of material for Mickey, you likely just don't watch it. Bret has been Mickey in every KH game since BBS, he's also on Mickey Mouse club house, he been voicing some of the park attractions since before Wayne passed away. So people complaining in here haven't been paying attention. Depending on the pitch of Bret you really can't tell. Watch Mickey Mouse clubhouse towards the end of Wayne's tenure and you can't tell until Bret starts being higher pitched.

Edit: YouTube Mickey is from a show called Mickey Mouse and that's Chris Diamantopolous. Bret Iwan is the official voice.

Feb 2, 2019
What a fun thread this is. One of the few 'reviewers' that really bash on the game and suddenly you see all the Kingdom Hearts haters gathering. The funniest thing is that half of the People here haven't even played the game but also step on the hate train. :)

And then this review. He complains about some explantion screens, lol ok. And then he goes on for seven minutes about some awkward dialoges. Yes some of the dialoge could be better, but it's already a major step up from previous games.

And ow yeah he starts complaining about Disney worlds and their pacing and he uses Tangled as example. Probably the most Well paced world in thé series that literally explain the whole movie in a Kingdom Hearts-version.

And he also didn't like that the game has so much to offer....

This is just a typical 'reviewer' that bashes a popular, good product to get some views. If someone has problems with KH3 that I can understand. I can even understand if you think the game is ok and not that great. But if you literally can't say anything good.about it and just hate everything then you just aren't objective...

He said the soundtrack was great. That's a positive thing.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dunkey has always been one of gameplay > story, I imagine because it is so easy to plow your way with attractions / transformations / etc, that someone like him will feel even more disconnected to the game and end up hating it, hopefully if Critical ever comes, they tone the heck down of everything or at least add MP use for those ultra powerful abilities, they should even change it now on proud.

He has mention he hates anime and KH is the most anime a game has ever been but again, saying it's a 1/5 on his scale seems way too harsh.

Then getting a 1/5 on a game that improved mostly everything gameplay-wise and only falls short of KH2FM is even more stupid. This just goes with my argument, he tried really hard to shit on the gameplay when his problem is mostly the story. For a man that's gameplay over story, he sure doesn't follows at all his own mantra here.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Then getting a 1/5 on a game that improved mostly everything gameplay-wise and only falls short of KH2FM is even more stupid. This just goes with my argument, he tried really hard to shit on the gameplay when his problem is mostly the story. For a man that's gameplay over story, he sure doesn't follows at all his own mantra here.
I havent played KH3, but donkey always hates when a game removes control from the player and then uses a cinematic to do the cool shit.

watching KH3 gameplay it looks really common.

Oct 31, 2017
Man, I actually really liked the Tangled world despite having not seen the movie. I thought the kingdom of Corona looked so beautiful, I loved exploring it and even jumping in the water and taking a selfie with Donald at the beach.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I havent played KH3, but donkey always hates when a game removes control from the player and then uses a cinematic to do the cool shit.

Don't agree at all, tbh. The game caused me to go holy shit a lot of times when it transitioned between cutscene and gameplay in some key moments. And the last 2-3 hours are some of the best "endgame" hours i've ever played, where like every cool thing happened directly with the player involved.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Except you DO have control over all of it. You only get a small animation of the summon and then you get full control of the power you summoned.

If there is one game guilty of "Press X to Awesome" it's Kingdom Hearts II, not III.

He's full of it. He tries to justify his ridculously low score by saying things about the gameplay that are just not true.

Wolshen

Oct 30, 2017
Im trying to see where's the funny part of the review, but i can't find it in between all the overused quick cuts that every "funny" youtuber loves doing.

Well, maybe if you only watch youtube and twitch streams i can see how it could be funny, since you have no points of reference outside that (and there are a lot of people who claim to have stopped reading books, watching TV or doing anything else since the advent of YT/Twitch).

Sure, KH3 isnt perfect, but if i could score this review i would give it a one out of five.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quite honestly one of the only reasons I pay attention to reviews these days, professional or on YouTube, is for the salt mines.

Might be a bit petty, but my god I can't stop laughing at times when fanbases go absolutely insane because even one person out of a sea of positivity dares to say professionally, or even with some satire and humour, that they didn't like a... videogame.

The phrase "review in good faith" in this topic. Jesus, it's cult-like.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nanomachines, son is pretty much the logical end of MGS bullshit, which led it to being more celebrated than anything else because it was comedically self-aware.
That's more of a loving fan meme than outright hatred.
I mean maybe that's because the fans are self aware as well and don't create threads about how people who think KH's story is convoluted are being disingenuous. I'm also not so sure about MGS being self aware, looking at MGS V. Still seems like a lot of pretentious nonsense, which it also got shit on for. That car ride became a meme as well.

Also lol at "hatred".

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Does it though? Does it really? "Nanomachines, son."

Look at the vitriol in the thread against the convoluted but mostly inoffensive, naive KH storyline. KH3 was probably the easiest to follow, with clear objectives (implemented weirdly, though). In MGS it's not at all like this, not even with MGS5 atrocious resolution.

Yeah, MGS5 didn't even have a proper ending, while KH3 delivers incredibly on that front. Again, the last 3 hours of KH, in terms of art, OST, gameplay, bossfights and cutscenes are one of the best i've ever played. Sending off Xehanort in the best way possible. But lol let's cherry pick shit so i can get some clicks.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Im trying to see where's the funny part of the review, but i can't find it in between all the overused quick cuts that every "funny" youtuber loves doing.

Well, maybe if you only watch youtube and twitch streams i can see how it could be funny, since you have no points of reference outside that (and there are a lot of people who claim to have stopped reading books, watching TV or doing anything else since the advent of YT/Twitch).

This is such a prime r/iamverysmart material, lol.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Quite honestly one of the only reasons I pay attention to reviews these days, professional or on YouTube, is for the salt mines.

Might be a bit petty, but my god I can't stop laughing at times when fanbases go absolutely insane because even one person out of a sea of positivity dares to say professionally, or even with some satire and humour, that they didn't like a... videogame.

The phrase "review in good faith" in this topic. Jesus, it's cult-like.

So, the fanbase can't criticize a reviewer who's mantra is supposed to be "Gameplay over story"
but mostly focuses on the latter to shit on a game that improved on mostly all the gameplay systems of the previous entries?

lmao. Dunkey fans.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

i feel the same. i agree the game is very un-perfect. But his 'gag' about the tutorial windows are completely unjustified. The dialogue tho i who heartedly agree is terrible.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I mean maybe that's because the fans are self aware as well and don't create threads about how people who think KH's story is convoluted are being disingenuous. I'm also not so sure about MGS being self aware, looking at MGS V. Still seems like a lot of pretentious nonsense, which it also got shit on for. That car ride became a meme as well.

Also lol at "hatred".

Where is this happening?

Link the threads.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Look at the vitriol in the thread against the convoluted but mostly inoffensive, naive KH storyline. KH3 was probably the easiest to follow, with clear objectives (implemented weirdly, though). In MGS it's not at all like this, not even with MGS5 atrocious resolution.

Yeah, MGS5 didn't even have a proper ending, while KH3 delivers incredibly on that front. Again, the last 3 hours of KH, in terms of art, OST, gameplay, bossfights and cutscenes are one of the best i've ever played. Sending off Xehanort in the best way possible. But lol let's cherry pick shit so i can get some clicks.

This.
Though I disagree on Xehanort's send off

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, the fanbase can't criticize a reviewer who's mantra is supposed to be "Gameplay over story"
but mostly focuses on the latter to shit on a game that improved on mostly all the gameplay systems of the previous entries?

lmao. Dunkey fans.
He's not even his mantra lol. He loves MGS4, which isn't what I would call gameplay heavy. FF XV's gameplay sucks as well, yet he likes that game, too.
And it's lamost like he has a variety of criticisms in the video that don't have to do with any of that. Care to refute any of them?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Playing through KH3 right now and I absolutely agree.

KH fundamentally has failed to live up to its promise set up in the first game, a crossover of Disney and Square characters entangled in one story. Instead, it went completely off the rails with KH2 as Nomura decided that he wanted to tell his own convoluted anime story with a damn near brainless protagonist. The Disney worlds no longer make any sense in KH, they are only included because its expected, but they play no part in the actual overall narrative; unlike KH1. And, Square/FF characters don't even exist anymore.
I 100% agreed with that on the second one, but 3 trues to do a healthy mix of original stories and movie plot for the Disney worlds i think the problem was Disney requirements for movies such as FROZEN they really couldn't change much.

It does feel like Disney and main plot are separated but the Disney dialogue is so much better i have no problem with, at least an improvment over 2

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He's not even his mantra lol. He loves MGS4, which isn't what I would call gameplay heavy. FF XV's gameplay sucks as well, yet he likes that game, too.
And it's lamost like he has a variety of criticisms in the video that don't have to do with any of that. Care to refute any of them?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Now comes reading the actual thread.

He concludes his post with
Say it's convoluted. Say it's poorly told. But confusing? Nah bruh.

And just says that the story must be followed in release order. Which is much easier now than back in 2012 when all the games were scattered.

He's not personally attacking you.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I agree with most of his critisisms, but I am still loving the game. Things can be bad, but still enjoyable and fun. I have been so confused with the story, and I watched all the recaps of the games and still do not understand what the fuck is going on, but I still get hyped up whenever a cutscenes on.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good thing he critizised it in his XC2 video as well, then.

His main problem is that the story is told in such a stilted, over expository way, and that those cutscenes happen way too frequently. It's not fun to him to watch people just stand there, talking like robots, with an awkward pause after every single sentence. He also mentions the Disney worlds just retelling the movies, but leaving crucial things out.

What he's saying is that most of that stuff barely matters when you can press a button for Disney attractions that are way too powerful.

Too bad the people that wanted more challenge are part of the audience as well. It's almost like they could have handled it like in previous entries and just please both camps. For a lot of people it might not be frustrating to cruise through the game on almost auto pilot, for others it is.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No lies detected. I dunno about a 1/5 but the story and dialog are awful. I've already shared my thoughts on how awful the Disney worlds are in other thread, so I'll skip that. The combat is amazingly easy even on proud mode and I often found myself just mashing X and sometimes triangle. I'm hoping for a critical mode patch in the future.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good thing he critizised it in his XC2 video as well, then.

Lmao, it's not even comparable. It's a dumb point to even brought up in KH3. It's just comedy shit for this video.

His main problem is that the story is told in such a stilted, over expository way, and that those cutscenes happen way too frequently. It's not fun to him to watch people just stand there, talking like robots, with an awkward pause after every single sentence. He also mentions the Disney worlds just retelling the movies, but leaving crucial things out.

Agree there though. VA direction and some cutscene direction was awful. The bold has been KH always, and i imagine Disney had to be more cautious with their IP's now. I mean, Nomura clearly stood his ground and said that if Pixar wasn't allowed then he wouldn't do the game at all.
The frozen world clearly shows the limitations he had regarding the source material.
Personally i don't have many problems with most of the worlds, especially because you can't ask the guy to remake 10 2hours movies for a game. Considering budget limitations, and that mostly all have seen this movies, is not hard to fill "the blanks". Exploring them was nice and entertaining.

What he's saying is that most of that stuff barely matters when you can press a button for Disney attractions that are way too powerful.

Yeah, it has balancing issues, mostly fixable with Final mix or whatever. I guess the point was to avoid newcomers getting stuck on fights.

Too bad the people that wanted more challenge are part of the audience as well. It's almost like they could have handled it like in previous entries and just please both camps. For a lot of people it might not be frustrating to cruise through the game on almost auto pilot, for others it is.

And i hope he adds a critical mode, it can be done. Again, the later parts of the game are trickier, so there's a difficulty curve, especially with bosses.

So all this comments amount to a 1/5? like worst of the worst territory? lmao, hyperbolic bullshit.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
lmao at thinking that DMC5's dialogues are going to be as bad as KH's

Also one of these 2 games isn't going to interrupt gameplay every 2 minutes for uninspired cutscenes

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I like dunkey's comedy and when he talks about a game he likes, he's great and insightful. But when he doesn't like the game, he loves to cherrypick

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If you pay attention when he is scrolling through the tutorials there is a shopped in yoshi. Lmao. The little touches.

Lmao, it's not even comparable. It's a dumb point to even brought up in KH3. It's just comedy shit for this video.

A different game being worse doesn't suddenly invalidate another game having the same issue lol/

So all this comments amount to a 1/5? like worst of the worst territory? lmao, hyperbolic bullshit.

It's not that deep. 1/5 means "I fucking hate this game". But the criticisms he makes are actually pretty similar to a lot of general player reviews and impressions I read.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
What's the arbitrary amount of time he needs to be shunned for to be fully absolved? Two years? Three?

He made a mistake, apologized, and has made an effort to be a better person since.
I'm still waiting for you to link me to Dunkey apologizing for his use of derogatory slurs. An apology is a step in the right direction, so I want to see it.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017

Sure, KH3 isnt perfect, but if i could score this review i would give it a one out of five.
I never watch youtubers or twitch much so whatever overused stuff people use I have no idea but there was moments of this that gave me a chuckle because it was so accurate to how bad parts of this game really are.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Criticism around DMC5 being too easy?
Criticism around DMC5's gameplay being shallow and boring?
Criticism around DMC5 having too many cutscenes?
Criticism around DMC5 having terrible voice acting?
Criticism around DMC5 being flatout BORING?

Yup, all of KH3 criticism will be applied to DMC5.
Well, to play devil's advocate, all this criticism applies to Diablo 3 when it was released, and that was played by far, far people than Kingdom Hearts 3 ever will. And Diablo 3 certainly got a lot of criticism online, but it's like the difference between Twilight and Ready Player One: They're both equally bad and people seem to acknowledge that on some level, but one property makes people irrationally far more angry and vocal than the other.

Clawbearing

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Kingdom hearts 3 is legit one of the worse story/narrative games in awhile. So much of the narrative doesnt work

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lmao. Dunkey fans.

Here's the funnier thing, I hardly even know of dunkey. The only time I ever catch a video is on here.

It's simply my feelings on gaming fandoms and reviews. Call it my own internal amusement any time something that is for all intents reviewing well/even acclaimed, and one if not a handful of people might stray from the herd with an opinion and it becomes a world war. Conspiracy theories, claims of "giving an opinion in bad faith" and so on.

The Zelda nonsense around a 7/10 was hilarious. Some of the KH3 madness has almost rivalled it with anyone who even simply said the plot is a mess is called out.

Video in the OP is pushing more to try and purposefully rile up a fanbase, but as I said, sometimes I just have to laugh at that because of how badly the bait is taken.

When video gaming fandoms are as sensitive and hyperbolic as they can be, sometimes some satire/trolling mixed in with your opinion goes a long way.

I can enjoy KH1 and 2 and still watch the video in the OP and find it funny. Large parts of KH are a mess and have been all the way through the games. I haven't played 3 yet but even ditching more of the FF cross-over stuff is just sad. A young me was fascinated with that FF/Disney cross-over, but now KH just seems to be about trying to fix/continue a silly ass plot.

But the FF characters are done in the KH world! Think of the plot! Well, they don't have to be, that was one of its unique selling points and crossovers.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't really care for this guy in the video but he hits the nail on the head really here. I mean damn BotW was nearly 2 years ago, Bloodborne nearly 4, Undertale more than 3 etc there's been a lot of games this gen that have really pushed the envelope so to speak and then this game comes out near the tail end and... yeah. Forced tutorials, dozens and dozens of cutscenes, invisible walls, unwelcoming plot for newcomers (being 3rd or whatever in a series isn't a good enough excuse IMO since I was also new to The Witcher this gen and had a *much* easier time with that game) incredibly limited freedom and choice for the player, easy and really lacking in depth in regards to plot and characters and their motivations. A lot of longtime fans don't like to hear this seemingly but the game feels like a PS2/3 game to me- a beautiful and polished af one at that- with all that above taken into consideration.

The cutscenes, dialogue and plot really are as bad as I feared they'd be as a newcomer so really it falls on the Disney worlds to elevate the game and with how poor they get it just doesn't cut it. A really mixed bag considering how beautiful it is and how fun the game can be at times.

It's not the 3rd in the series. Kingdom Hearts 3 is literally the 9th entry in the series. It's just called KH 3 because it's on a main console like KH 1 and 2.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
The intro was great and I knew exactly where it was headed, didn't disappoint. Funny thing about Dunkey's scoring is that I've always taken them as a joke but this time idk....
You can generally tell how serious he is by the tone of his videos before the score. In this case he didn't say much in the way of highly joke-y hyperbole and video editing aside I have seen many criticisms he brought up by quite a few people.