• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm still at the beginnings of this game but the review gives me no hope for the remaining experience I'm gonna have. I only just left the first world and am getting so pissed off with the constant tutorial pop ups and boring cut-scenes. They really overdid it. I'm gonna stick it out though (hopefully) to the end.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the funnier thing, I hardly even know of dunkey. The only time I ever catch a video is on here.

It's simply my feelings on gaming fandoms and reviews. Call it my own internal amusement any time something that is for all intents reviewing well/even acclaimed, and one if not a handful of people might stray from the herd with an opinion and it becomes a world war. Conspiracy theories, claims of "giving an opinion in bad faith" and so on.

The Zelda nonsense around a 7/10 was hilarious. Some of the KH3 madness has almost rivalled it with anyone who even simply said the plot is a mess is called out.

Video in the OP is pushing more to try and purposefully rile up a fanbase, but as I said, sometimes I just have to laugh at that because of how badly the bait is taken.

When video gaming fandoms are as sensitive and hyperbolic as they can be, sometimes some satire/trolling mixed in with your opinion goes a long way.

I can enjoy KH1 and 2 and still watch the video in the OP and find it funny. Large parts of KH are a mess and have been all the way through the games. I haven't played 3 yet but even ditching more of the FF cross-over stuff is just sad. A young me was fascinated with that FF/Disney cross-over, but now KH just seems to be about trying to fix/continue a silly ass plot.

But the FF characters are done in the KH world! Think of the plot! Well, they don't have to be, that was one of its unique selling points and crossovers.
I'm finding some KH fans in this thread have been more reactionary than anything. You look at the discussion of this video in the KH reddit, which consists of thousands of fans, and not just the few hundred that seem to be on ResetEra, and they had a pretty measured discussion about this video. Most were pretty sensible and the conversations surrounding the video were more interesting because they engaged a bunch of topics as a result. Hell, a lot of them basically agree with the criticisms.

The kind of defensiveness you see in this thread I think is just a serious problem with Era and the communities here in general. The quality of discussion surrounding games here is just weak in general.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The kind of defensiveness you see in this thread I think is just a serious problem with Era and the communities here in general. The quality of discussion surrounding games here is just weak in general.
I don't know about KH fans but I'd agree with this. People form into little cliques of shared opinions and every time someone counters that opinion, everyone jumps in together to shit on that person.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Which is a shame because I love the new goofier version from the amazing Youtube series of shorts!

Sounds better here, could be a matter of direction and the shitty sound quality of the voice work in KH3.
Actually that's a different voice actor who does Mickey Mouse there.

The new official VA for Mickey is Bret Iwan. He's done the voice of Mickey for the later Kingdom Hearts games and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

The one in those wacky animated shorts is Chris Diamantopoulos. It's the only series where he voices Mickey. But I really really like him more than the official one.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. There is always one majority, which drag down the discussion by trying to put the other side in its place. Not with arguments, but just by pretending, that the others position can't be taken seriously.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
God the writing is so bad...

I totally get him on the 'wooden/robotic dialogue' bit. When replaying KH2, I never felt the Twilight Town kids were friends, they just pretended they were, they were basically "bored-together" till the end of summer.

And yeah, for a while, I feel the Disney stuff is just a darling and adorable cash-in to watch anime characters enjoy a bideogame version of some shounen sunday morning cartoon.

lol don't avatar quote me. I love a LOT about the series, but I sure as hell don't come back for good plot (yadda yadda journey>destination). The series has so many great building blocks, but the story it ultimately told was such a let-down of convoluted pieces haphazardly and arbitrarily fitting together. The story would have totally benefit being way more simplified (less WOULD REALLY BE more).

For such a big property for Square Enix to "Square Enix it up" with Disney worlds (a brand ironically better known for way tighter and cohesive story-telling), I'm honestly surprised they let the reins on this go as much as they did....

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Actually that's a different voice actor who does Mickey Mouse there.

The new official VA for Mickey is Bret Iwan. He's done the voice of Mickey for the later Kingdom Hearts games and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

The one in those wacky animated shorts is Chris Diamantopoulos. It's the only series where he voices Mickey. But I really really like him more than the official one.

I think the problem is that the new guy just doesn't sell KH mumbo jumbo.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I think the problem is that the new guy just doesn't sell KH mumbo jumbo.
I'll be honest, I haven't liked the new official voice actor's take on Mickey since I first heard him on an episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse that my lil sister was watching. It just sounds off to me. Like I know that replacing Wayne Allwine or Walt Disney was going to be a difficult task, but I just didn't like Bret's take on Mickey.

But when I saw the newer Mickey Mouse shorts I really warmed up to the voice and portrayal of Mickey. I thought it was an improved Bret Iwan at first until I found out that it was someone different voicing Mickey there. So from then on I was a big fan of Chris's version of Mickey and I wish that Disney would use him more often.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Downright savage beatdown to a game that fully deserves the vitriol. I have to laugh at people arguing in this thread about the score, "but...but...the polish and visuals!" as if having good production values should alone(debatable even there given the voice acting/direction) start a games score at some decent mark, despite having atrocious storytelling and braindead "watch the pretty lights" gameplay. A movie can have astounding special effects yet be rightly panned for failing in every other regard, why is it so hard for gamers to get over that hump in their minds?

No we didn't know what to expect because every mainline KH has had Final Fantasy. Every game in that opening montage was recieved better than KH3 except Last Guardian, which actually share alot of similarities. So how is it hyperbole. After the Disney pitch, when Kingdom Hearts turned into an actual greenlit product Final Fantasy was in the blueprint. But now i can't find the source so I'll let you have that one. Its not an exaggeration that this game has the makeup of a PS3 game and is lacking a generation worth of improvements.
Comparing TLG to KH3 is astronomically laughable, TLG is the game of this generation that won GOTY for it's year from major outlets like Edge and Easy Allies. Nothing Nomura has done or ever will do will ever come close to sniffing Ueda's masterpieces and positive influence on this industry.

85 metascore, sold KH2's lifetime sales in a week, all the collections are sold out...

Bye.
That metascore is going to drop, lots more reviews to come including Edge's which will undoubtedly drop it. This game might get a few mentions on GotY lists but it ain't topping any major outlets.

Oct 31, 2017
I thought dunkey wasn't supposed to be taken seriously?

Anyways, it's clear that this video is just an opportunity for people who already didn't like the series to come here and basically be annoying

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
May I ask a related question here; as a huge Disney fan but someone not into anime or the final fantasy games etc is there enough here to enjoy?

I really want to play through the Disney stuff and was tempted to do so and try and ignore the story outside of that

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
That metascore is going to drop, lots more reviews to come including Edge's which will undoubtedly drop it. This game might get a few mentions on GotY lists but it ain't topping any major outlets.
It'll fall all the way to the low 80s and then all you dumb fanboys will feel REALLY stupid!

May I ask a related question here; as a huge Disney fan but someone not into anime or the final fantasy games etc is there enough here to enjoy?

I really want to play through the Disney stuff and was tempted to do so and try and ignore the story outside of that
The Disney stuff is very front-loaded. Once you clear the last Disney story you can pretty much just ignore the rest of the game.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
score is probably exaggerated as the gameplay in the series is at least a little fun despite being easy

but yeah, never got the appeal

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Congrats this is the "crossover" for you.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It'll fall all the way to the low 80s and then all you dumb fanboys will feel REALLY stupid!

The Disney stuff is very front-loaded. Once you clear the last Disney story you can pretty much just ignore the rest of the game.

Thanks buddy

Shows how clueless I am I actually thought the entire game was set within Disney 'worlds' pretty much

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
There's tons of material for Mickey, you likely just don't watch it. Bret has been Mickey in every KH game since BBS, he's also on Mickey Mouse club house, he been voicing some of the park attractions since before Wayne passed away. So people complaining in here haven't been paying attention. Depending on the pitch of Bret you really can't tell. Watch Mickey Mouse clubhouse towards the end of Wayne's tenure and you can't tell until Bret starts being higher pitched.

Edit: YouTube Mickey is from a show called Mickey Mouse and that's Chris Diamantopolous. Bret Iwan is the official voice.

Well, those clips in KH3 aren't his best work then.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My point was that his dismissiveness in the post I was responding to, talking up it's metascore and sales, is even sillier considering that that score is going to drop and really isn't that impressive in the first place.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
My point was that his dismissiveness in the post I was responding to, talking up it's metascore and sales, is even sillier considering that that score is going to drop and really isn't that impressive in the first place.

Yeah, 80 is just a critical Failure. You sure showed us!

I'm sure fans and SE will just stop making these games you hate so much as soon as the meta hits 80.

Like 90% of the VAs in the series don't sell it.

I disagree to an extent. Nimoy was amazing. And Osment and Gallagher can pull it off easily. I'd say the issues are more on the Disney side than KH side.

But previous Mickey was also great at it

The all time worst performance is still Aerith in KH2

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Downright savage beatdown to a game that fully deserves the vitriol. I have to laugh at people arguing in this thread about the score, "but...but...the polish and visuals!" as if having good production values should alone(debatable even there given the voice acting/direction) start a games score at some decent mark, despite having atrocious storytelling and braindead "watch the pretty lights" gameplay. A movie can have astounding special effects yet be rightly panned for failing in every other regard, why is it so hard for gamers to get over that hump in their minds?

Comparing TLG to KH3 is astronomically laughable, TLG is the game of this generation that won GOTY for it's year from major outlets like Edge and Easy Allies. Nothing Nomura has done or ever will do will ever come close to sniffing Ueda's masterpieces and positive influence on this industry.

You don't sound biased at all.

Clearly all the people enjoying this game are just morons in denial. No I can't actually think this is a good game obviously.
An 85 isn't impressive?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Clearly all the people enjoying this game are just morons in denial. No I can't actually think this is a good game obviously.

An 85 isn't impressive?

No because it will soon drop to 80! That means it's trash like Tales of Vesperia and Pokemon Lets Go. Just you wait!

Edit: I am actually surprised that Let's Go scored that high being the weakest Pokémon entry for me.

BRB Making a video about how it's actually a 1/5 game

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The video was hilarious but I wouldn't use it to inform my opinion of Kingdom Hearts.

Tbh feels like both the fans and haters are getting super out of hand in this thread

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No because it will soon drop to 80! That means it's trash like Tales of Vesperia and Pokemon Lets Go. Just you wait!

Edit: I am actually surprised that Let's Go scored that high being the weakest Pokémon entry for me.

BRB Making a video about how it's actually a 1/5 game
I mean I don't put too much stock in Metascore anyway admittedly. I love Travis Strikes Again and that's has a score of 67.

But acting like an 80 isn't good is just bizarre. Just reeks of already having a chip on their shoulder and wanting the game to fail. Which is just petty.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, 80 is just a critical Failure. You sure showed us!

I'm sure fans and SE will just stop making these games you hate so much as soon as the meta hits 80.
You gave weight to the metacritic and used it as a means to dismiss another poster, it clearly means alot to you to throw around that number.

An 85 isn't impressive?
You can like the game all you want, we all have things we like despite them being trash in so many ways.

An 85 isn't impressive relative to general industry scores for games that have high production values and aren't broken messes. Nor do I put much weight into metascore itself outside of extreme highs and lows(even then 90+ games have been hype fueled trash).

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I mean I don't put too much stock in Metascore anyway admittedly. I love Travis Strikes Again and that's has a score of 67.

But acting like an 80 isn't good is just bizarre. Just reeks of already having a chip on their shoulder and wanting the game to fail. Which is just petty.

What's weirder is that KH consistently scores around 80+, I believe the 3DS version of DDD is the worst at 75. With KH2 the highest at 87

I don't know why "Ha! It's getting an 80 as always!" Is a "gotcha"

80+ is a good score worth bragging about. To pretend otherwise it's just dumb

Edit: My mistake. Lowest one is rightfully Re:Coded with 66. A score I completely agree as its the most uninspired and mediocre game in the series

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought dunkey wasn't supposed to be taken seriously?

Anyways, it's clear that this video is just an opportunity for people who already didn't like the series to come here and basically be annoying
His reviews are more or less his actual feelings on the matter.

The video is the topic on the thread, so the actually annoying people are the ones trying to shit on people agreeing with the contents of the video.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Boy oh boy your incredibly delusional.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
I find this vitriol against KH3 to be misguided. Its story isn't more convoluted than your average long running shonen manga or anime. It's dialogue no more stilted than your average jrpg. It has been constantly compared to an idealized version of the first two games, a fight which it cannot ever win. Honestly? It's just another Kingdom Hearts game through and through, warts and all. All things considered, it's the first game by the Osaka team for a home console and their first full game for the HD era. And as far as base versions goes...it's one of the better ones? I totally get not liking, but it seems a game so innocuous and in some ways unremarkable (it's just more Kingdom Hearts) that this raging hate feels misplaced in a industry like this. I find the story pretty fucking stupid, my brain shuts down everytime they mention time travel sleeping worlds and some such, I'm mostly there for some characters I've been following for years, Yoko's music and some batshit insane Nomura antics.

It's a serviceable game, perfectly in line with the rest of the series, targeted mostly to people who have been following the games through the years. It has an AAA budget, but it's kind niche in its own convoluted way. Some of the reactions from youtubers, streamers and seriouscritics just seem to be a bit disproportionate, petty, click baity and ultimately unwarranted.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be a lot of level headed KH fans here who agree that the story is shit.

Still, it's not like there's only a minority of fans who think the opposite. I should know, I'm friends with a few of them.

Anyway, I don't disagree at all with Dunkey's review. I'm not even sure why people are mad at it. It's his opinion and I share a couple of those views as well. The amount of vitrol for the review in this thread is hilarious as hell though. Really want those who wrote some of the posts to try and say it out loud to know how embarassing the posts was.

For the record, I'm enjoying KH3. I was prepared for the story to be a disaster but it's terrible how the cutscene voice acting, pacing and editing and bloody Gummi Ship mechanics are still stuck in the PS2 age.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Just released. Interesting take on the game

Has some final world segment spoilers

Score on the game:
1/5

I just completed the Monsters Inc world and am listening to this now, this is a bit hyperbolic but it's so on point!!!! Its hilariously true.

In all honesty I dont understand how any establishment could have given this game an excellent review. In all honesty the worst parts of the game trample the little good the game does. Combat while fun cant erase the asinine story we're being told. On top if it, they've taken every cliche about terrible anime and incorporated it into the game. The long pauses during conversations, the lifeless script, it's truly dull a hell.

This game in my opinion is a 5/10 for me

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"I do know hurt." Me too, Sora. Listening to all these cartoony Disney characters deliver the most static lines I've ever heard truly hurts.

Whoever is voicing Mickey is not good at all. When did he get a new voice?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
"I do know hurt." Me too, Sora. Listening to all these cartoony Disney characters deliver the most static lines I've ever heard truly hurts.

Whoever is voicing Mickey is not good at all. When did he get a new voice?

It's the main Mickey voice actor as always. The previous Mickey Mouse voice died in 2009.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The craziest thing to me is how, during DDD, they introduced time travel for one plot point and everyone was rightfully annoyed. And then KH3 went fucking crazy with it, ignoring all semblance of typical time travel paradox logic and just made up their own rules. Every other character was like "I'm uhh... from the past lol"

I really hope that the next arc of the story is able to shed the baggage of this entire arc and tell a compelling tale without half the fuckery Nomura wrote himself into with this.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Funny video review. Game seems like total nonsense. 85 Metacritic is surprising.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think nothing he says isn't true. The integration of Disney worlds into the KH mythos is worse than ever. The way the Disney worlds are used feels lazy and uninspired, and I am fully ready to blame Disney for SOME of that. The cutscenes (which are not a problem in frequency for me) are just too long and poorly written. The combat is kinda repetitive and could be a lot better if the difficulty was tuned and enemies had better tells.

...and yet after all that I think I still really like it. Polish and presentation flair go a long way in a game like this, and I'm sure I will never replay it again except for maybe the FM version...but there's something to be said for the way it just makes you feel kinda happy.

I will say the plot doesn't really feel THAT confusing.

Last edited:

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
The last thing the previous Mickey voice actor did was Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. He voiced him from 1977-2009. After that it's been the same guy voicing Mickey other than the Mickey shorts which are weirdly voiced by some other guy.
Huh. This explains a lot, always thought the Mickey short voice and Kingdom Hearts ones were really different and it confused me for quite awhile.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Argh, this review took a potential nice moment away for me :/.
I admittedly didn't watch Dunkey's video, but by reading many posts here, it seems that he presents many valid points? Also this post is also not for disagreeing with him (even if I myself find this game exceptional amazing in many aspects), but the following happened:

I only have few friends that are into gaming, and all of them were never into KH (they never played one and have no idea what it is about) because they think it's too childish and so on. I didn't mind because everyone should consume what they want and think what suits to them.
After KH3 released, one friend suddenly told me that KH3 seems to get praised a lot and that the game looks interesting to him and he is making thoughts about to buy the game sometimes later.
I was actually excited when I heard that. I was happy that someone I knew wanted to give the series a fair chance. And if he would enjoy the game, I would in addition also have someone to discuss about the series.
However, that friend saw Dunkey's review now and refuses to buy the game. Not only that, he is shitting on the game even if he's repeatedly telling me that he has no idea what the games and the gameplay are about.
I'm not mad at Dunkey, I'm mad at my friend that lets himself influence or manipulate so easily.
I have no problem with reviewers, but I have a problem with people/reviewer-fans that take everything what is being said as fact and are not capable to form an own opinion or doing critical thinking. On top of that, some of these people are also finding enjoyment in attacking and shitting on the series and fans, as if disliking the game is objectively correct (because their reviewer said so) and if you like it you're abnormal.
(In general, not only KH-related)

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Man, Dunkey is so set on being an angry YouTube critic personality these days. The majority of his criticisms are 100% valid but making a point of saying that they threw away the story from the previous games and also making a point that the characters are spouting nonsense exposition at you is contradictory. The stuff they're regurgitating at Sora through the campaign at awkward moments are them retelling the many games that weren't KH1 or 2.

I miss the Dunkey that would find the fun and comedy of the game and make fun videos with that. I don't think he's a particularly good critic.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No matter what you think of the review at least we can all agree this is a good place to find some ingredients.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Ignore Leffen. He's so sensationalist, I like and strongly dislike the guy at the same time. Great smash player, good streamer but he's still very childish and a lot of his fans enable that.
I watched his KH3 stream lol. He went way worse into it on stream haha. Leffen is great.

I like KH3 but I can appreciate the ribbing. He seems to hating on the design in general. He expected a more open world game.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with this review. Some things are polished but Donald looks like trash, the voice acting is terrible and poorly paced, gummi ship combat isn't fun, the main combat is too easy. I've tried to keep an optimistic outlook for FF7R but squeenix just can't make a great AAA title anymore, they've proven this with ff15 and now KH3. The only quality games they've made in recent years were ones they published.