• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll pose my above question to you as well then. What would you say this is satirizing?
Tier lists in general? The idea that you can rank YouTube personalities on a tier list to begin with? Perhaps TierZoo, which itself is a parody of meta tier list videos? Tell me nobody watched this video and thought these were sincere "rankings".

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's both guy. He reads shit ass articles that agree with his shit takes that he's had since he was a kid I bet. Read up on implicit bias, Jon Tron is dripping in it and he happened to get recruited by morons that actually wants to make those believes a reality.

Why are you guys eating me I argue for the same things, I just think we look like tools getting caught up in what a dumb youtuber belives or not.

There's been this long-standing question about whether or not nazis actually believe the things they say, when their arguments are obviously shoddy and lazily constructed. For fairly obvious reasons -- the rise of YouTube being one of them, I'd say -- the question has become rather popular to consider.

The question rests on a false premise, which is that a nazi actually gives half a damn about intellectual integrity. They rather consistently don't -- it is all about maintaining whatever veneers most conveniently allow them to recruit and force others into submission. Umberto Eco and Adorno both would say as much -- it is not necessarily about a coherent ideology, it is about maintaining power; ideology is only a tool to retain that power and can be discarded by a nazi whenever it loses its use.

This is why I don't think arguing with a nazi is a useful thing to do -- a nazi figurehead doesn't need arguments, a nazi figurehead needs an army of recruits willing to enact chaos in their name. Being able to retain a platform by which to spew their racist dreck allows them to do that. Arguing with them only exposes them to a wider audience of potentially like-minded individuals.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Regardless of any past shit comments, views, whatever...I can't understand anyone not thinking this is meant as anything but satire/a joke. Like...he's fucking with a meme in the most obvious and hyperbolic ways. Are you all really debating that right now?

Debate whether or not he deserves views based on X, Y or Z, but if you don't get the joke here and can't judge this by its own merits...I mean...are we being intentionally obtuse because we don't like the guy?

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
There's been this long-standing question about whether or not nazis actually believe the things they say, when their arguments are obviously shoddy and lazily constructed. For fairly obvious reasons -- the rise of YouTube being one of them, I'd say -- the question has become rather popular to consider.

The question rests on a false premise, which is that a nazi actually gives half a damn about intellectual integrity. They rather consistently don't -- it is all about maintaining whatever veneers most conveniently allow them to recruit and force others into submission. Umberto Eco and Adorno both would say as much -- it is not necessarily about a coherent ideology, it is about maintaining power; ideology is only a tool to retain that power and can be discarded by a nazi whenever it loses its use.

This is why I don't think arguing with a nazi is a useful thing to do -- a nazi figurehead doesn't need arguments, a nazi figurehead needs an army of recruits willing to enact chaos in their name. Being able to retain a platform by which to spew their racist dreck allows them to do that. Arguing with them only exposes them to a wider audience of potentially like-minded individuals.
Sounds like you know where I am getting at, so I'm baffled why you jumped in on me with shit memes without addressing my actual argument, but whatever.

Yeah I get why it can be extremely difficult to argue with what we can call bad faith actors like the alt-right or Nazis. They don't care about actual data, they don't engage with any arguments that they can't understand, and they tend to ad hom or call in reinforcements form their cadre of the uninformed.

I'd say that is the exact reason we need to continue publicly argue with them. By not engaging with them AT ALL we have already ceded the major platforms like TV, radio, and now twitter, facebook, and youtube. We can't seriously believe that continuing with cancel culture will offer any benefits that we haven't already lost.

A ton of people (myself included) were listening to the Destiny debate and were surprised to hear Jon spout those wild opinions. That crazy shit normally goes unabated but it took someone like Destiny to get him to really express what he believes which allowed him to point for point, dismantle JonTron's entire argument.

I am saying that I think it is important to constantly and consistently argue bad faith actors in public, but only if we can adequately counter the points brought up. I don't care if the argument goes to shit because we will most likely be turning people in the middle who have never actually challenged any of the ideas they held implicitly.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
You thought gamers were the most oppressed hmmm

Not true you fools. It's Youtubers. Youtubers are the most oppressed class in America.

I really despise this Youtube clique bullshit, constantly handing out passes for shitty behavior.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Tier lists in general? The idea that you can rank YouTube personalities on a tier list to begin with? Perhaps TierZoo, which itself is a parody of meta tier list videos? Tell me nobody watched this video and thought these were sincere "rankings".

Well I think that would be the reason that the video kinda falls flat for me, since the point winds up being muddled since the object of criticism is so banal in comparison to the examples used to illustrate the point, or at least the justification for the tiering is so inconsistent as to render the video little more than a listing of people and characters a la Billy Joel's execrable We Didn't Start the Fire. I guess it would be like satirizing the "X as Disney Princesses" thing that was popular a few years ago but it's "20th century war criminals as disney princesses" and for some reason they don't include Oliver North; there's a certain politics underpinning that decision that makes it more pernicious than merely poking at a tired meme.

I'd say that is the exact reason we need to continue publicly argue with them. By not engaging with them AT ALL we have already ceded the major platforms like TV, radio, and now twitter, facebook, and youtube. We can't seriously believe that continuing with cancel culture will offer any benefits that we haven't already lost.

One benefit that not having these shitheads on youtube will provide is that they won't be on youtube. Which is good, because one of the biggest problems with these shitheads is that they are on youtube, where anybody can see them. This is why I'm unable to agree with your argument.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Well I think that would be the reason that the video kinda falls flat for me, since the point winds up being muddled since the object of criticism is so banal in comparison to the examples used to illustrate the point, or at least the justification for the tiering is so inconsistent as to render the video little more than a listing of people and characters a la Billy Joel's execrable We Didn't Start the Fire. I guess it would be like satirizing the "X as Disney Princesses" thing that was popular a few years ago but it's "20th century war criminals as disney princesses" and for some reason they don't include Oliver North; there's a certain politics underpinning that decision that makes it more pernicious than merely poking at a tired meme.

One benefit that not having these shitheads on youtube will provide is that they won't be on youtube. Which is good, because one of the biggest problems with these shitheads is that they are on youtube, where anybody can see them. This is why I'm unable to agree with your argument.
Oh dude I am in on deplatforming. Kick these guys off. I think we agree here. I'll Im saying is we need to expose the correct info and argument to the audience held by Jon Tron/Dunkey/H3H3 and more importantly the alt-right. Chances are, a number of their audience are stuck in the middle and would be surprised to see their favorite creator to get dunked in public.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Oh dude I am in on deplatforming. Kick these guys off. I think we agree here. I'll Im saying is we need to expose the correct info and argument to the audience held by Jon Tron/Dunkey/H3H3 and more importantly the alt-right. Chances are, a number of their audience are stuck in the middle and would be surprised to see their favorite creator to get dunked in public.

The problem is for me that when it comes to respecting the basic rights and dignity of human beings vs. not doing that, I'm not only not sure where the middle is, I am at a loss as to how one is supposed to argue in favor of the basic rights and dignity of human beings. I am not convinced it is possible, at least not at this level and not at the rate of time necessary for political change to occur (I do not believe that basic rights and dignity are something that should have a wait time).

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
People here have no clue whether this is a joke or not and yet I'm supposed to take these folks seriously when they say Bloodborne is the best game ever.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the joke sailed over most people's heads in this thread. lol.

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
Tier lists are the meme of the month, I guess.

Three pages of people overanalyzing the societal implications of a dunkey video. Knowing Era, this will probably hit 9 pages.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Three pages of people overanalyzing the societal implications of a dunkey video. Knowing Era, this will probably hit 9 pages.

I mean careless joking is maybe not as inherently dangerous as carelessly driving or carelessly brandishing a rifle but I don't think that means that jokes made carelessly are harmless

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"It's just jokes and memes" is the cover that alt-right shits always use and it's amazing how some of you still keep buying it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Actually I think my previous quote-tweet gave you too much credit. Why would you come into a discussion thread and be aggrieved because people are, like, having a discussion

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Starting to wonder if he even included 8-Bit Music Theory, Errant Signal, or even LGR in his ranking

I don't even get it. It's not like they're DLC characters or anything, they're all right there and perfectly playable

I think you're giving everyone too much credit here.

Well, you're right, but I do like watching dumbasses choosing show off the thing that gives 'em their name. May not change the world but at least the laugh numbs the senses for a bit

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do people honestly think this is a serious video? Has you even watched it?

"Keemstar covers all the drama like when Logan Paul's dog toy got eaten by a coyote. Very important channel."
"Mega64. They're the Steven Spielberg of youtube. F-"
"H3H3. They're the ultimate power couple. Great styles. Really funny. Has great taste in food. F tier"
"AVGN. He laid the ground work for all gaming channels so we gotta pay respect....C tier"

Really? You're really taking this video seriously?
You see by putting Jake Paul in the S tier he's implicitly telling all his fans that Jake Paul is a really cool dude, joking or not. Also, he mentions Nostalgia Critic in his video, a man who's been accused of sexual harassment, thereby validating everything Nostalgia Critic has ever said or done.

I can't believe I have to say this, but... /s

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I mean careless joking is maybe not as inherently dangerous as carelessly driving or carelessly brandishing a rifle but I don't think that means that jokes made carelessly are harmless
I love that Projared sublty roasted on Jontron during his April fool's video of Madsen. He does it multiple times in the video. 3:25 is one.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
While this wouldn't be either the first or last time that satire would get misunderstood by people who are low on context (lord knows I don't blame people thinking youtube gamer stuff is a cesspool), what would you say it is that the video is satirizing?

It's literally satirizing YouTube gamer culture and the popularity surrounding you tubers in general, such as Leafy. Basically, he's kinda making a satire of how people enjoy scumbags.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Dude, tier lists....

I'm kind of worried about how you consume any media.

It's literally satirizing YouTube gamer culture and the popularity surrounding you tubers in general, such as Leafy. Basically, he's kinda making a satire of how people enjoy scumbags.

Far be it from me to claim that comedy is anything but subjective or that a joke can be about more than one thing at a time, but I still gotta go hmmm at some of the replies I've gotten because it seems like we can't agree on what the extremely obvious point of the video was

I'd sooner believe the second reply here if only because it's something more worth this level of attention but in that case I agree with the OP that he lets some of these guys off pretty easy.

Goldtones

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Far be it from me to claim that comedy is anything but subjective or that a joke can be about more than one thing at a time, but I still gotta go hmmm at some of the replies I've gotten because it seems like we can't agree on what the extremely obvious point of the video was

I'd sooner believe the second reply here if only because it's something more worth this level of attention but in that case I agree with the OP that he lets some of these guys off pretty easy.

You need professional help

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Other weird thing about the discourse in this thread: all the people being like "why are you analyzing this, it's low-quality bottom-feeding youtube garbage" as though eating garbage were a personal point of pride.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen majority of the youtubers on the list, but it was still funny nonetheless (the joke is about the pointlessness of tier lists anyway, metajokes notwithstanding).

Love the Persona 4 outro.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Hm, debating whether this is funnier or "well I mean obviously all the well-adjusted people checked out as soon as they saw 'youtuber tier list' in the title"

Did… did you just quote and reply to yourself? My man I understand not everyone will view this as funny because humor runs a wide spectrum. However, you may be investing too much time into this.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
But losing your shit over a throwaway dunkey video is pretty funny though.

Ah. Thanks. While you're here I've got a few other replies here in response to this post. Maybe you can help me think of which one is funniest:

"oh that's where all the shit I misplaced went, funny how it's always in the last place you'd look"

"ahhhh,,, I see, truly on this night. it is me who is the nerd getting dunkey'd on"

"REEEEEEEEEEEE"

I think the first one probably most accurately matches my opinion on the quality of the video in question even if it's hidden under a seemingly banal observation. I would have to hope that people will get the joke in it, but we've got some sharp satirists in the crowd tonight so I think they'll be able to grasp the punchline.

The second one I like because I have a certain understandable soft spot for dril. I'm not sure how into it that sort of surreal humor the audience is into though, even if I think the fundamental joke of dril comes through, which is that so much of what we do socially on the internet is basically asinine time-wasting rather than anything particularly productive or useful. Still I think that's an implication that might be too much of a downer for the crowd if they dwell on it, so I'll skip it.

Third one...well, I don't want to make a joke about people with autism, which is what the joke is. But I gotta be honest, based on the crowd out there tonight, I think it would sell pretty well. We've got the meltdown-prepared audience ready with the popcorn, and if they want to spend $50 to pay some random dude to read my tweets in a comically exaggerated manner to put on a youtube compilation, well who am I to tell them how to spend their money? Hell, maybe I'll pull my blue yeti out of storage and get myself a quick $50. Pull out that whiny, nasal voice one more time. The crowd'll love it.