• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Obviously the video is a joke but it's poorly told because I never experienced any kind of punchline. It just felt like a shotgun blast of ideas without reason, context or resolution.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Obviously the video is a joke but it's poorly told because I never experienced any kind of punchline. It just felt like a shotgun blast of ideas without reason, context or resolution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism#Overview
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surreal_humour

my avatar is from a movie (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?) based on the play by Edward Albee, who is credited with helping to bring the style of european absurdist theater to america in the early 60s

Last edited:

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah this video's kinda sucked. I'm not bothered by the random placement of the YouTubers, but where's the joke? I get it's mocking the current trend but it could have been so much funnier, as well as pointing out the douchiness of some of them. Like H3H3 having Jordan Kermit Peterson on his podcast twice, Logan/Jake Paul inviting Alex Jones on to their show, Dunkey could have mocked himself for saying homophobic slurs. But nah, randomness is the funniest on YouTube.
Go watch Scott the Woz. Seriously funny guy, who takes silly light-hearted looks at things like Wii Play.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
What's it satirizing?

Also, I pretty clearly stated that I knew it was a joke. It just isn't a funny joke.

I was a little worried the sarcasm in my reply wasn't quite strong enough to make its existence clear. I guess I had good reason to worry, my previous posts notwithstanding. I guess I should have put more thought into it, but I wrote it not long before going to bed. Ah well, c'est la vie.

I guess I should have gone with something like "Well, gee, I guess that depends on what you think's more likely. That this video made by a popular youtuber is done to maximize revenue potential from the barest minimum of effort, or that you don't have a sense of humor? Maybe we'll never know."

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I was a little worried the sarcasm in my reply wasn't quite strong enough to make its existence clear. I guess I had good reason to worry, my previous posts notwithstanding. I guess I should have put more thought into it, but I wrote it not long before going to bed. Ah well, c'est la vie.

I guess I should have gone with something like "Well, gee, I guess that depends on what you think's more likely. That this video made by a popular youtuber is done to maximize revenue potential from the barest minimum of effort, or that you don't have a sense of humor? Maybe we'll never know."
Bro people defend shitty content all day long, sorry I didn't get the sarcasm lol
It's hard on this site

I also didn't read your previous posts, only the notification I got. Whoops

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Oct 26, 2017
Mmm, could it be that this youtuber guy famous for his satire videos has made another satire video?

One about laughing at the stupid concept of videos about "tiers", laughing at people who makes them, and at people who watches?
(with the secret bonus of laughing at people who aren't even able to detect an obvious satire like this video)

Nah, can't be. I mean, he placed himself in the SSS category, obviously he was 100% serious.

100% sure.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Yeah, the criticism seems to be going over the head of fans of this bigoted dipshit. They're even go full right by trying to say "it's a joke dummy" as if anybody's unable to see that this is a 13 year old's attempt at satire whilst ignoring what people are actually criticising.

In their defense, the dipshit defense force's standard talking points are getting funnier every time I read them from a new participant in the thread.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, the criticism seems to be going over the head of fans of this bigoted dipshit. They're even go full right by trying to say "it's a joke dummy" as if anybody's unable to see that this is a 13 year old's attempt at satire whilst ignoring what people are actually criticising.

I see what you tried to do there.

I really can't imagine being so upset about a Dunkey video.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Feels really really softball rather than some sort of great hot take. He's mixed his messages too based on who he chose to include while he's at it.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The celebrity defense that is endemic to some people on ERA is really quite surprising. Tiger Woods wins the Masters and people calling him a shitheel for his past actions is poo poo-ed because it's apparently not relevant. There's something to be said for parts of the Internet and their propensity to be anhedonic but I'm sorry, this Dunkey character is a shithead with shithead friends who he doesn't seem to even acknowledge how shitty they are. Jon Tron is a racist who legitimately argues for the idea that certain races are less intelligent than others. If I created a thread on ERA about how I have a friend that is like that and I mentioned any sort of ambivalence about what to do, I'd be rightfully eviscerated. Why is it different with Dunkey?

To a lesser extent, it reminds me of the Joe Rogan stuff. Dunkey in my mind isn't as problematic simply because of the format of his videos. The criticism isn't that I or other people don't get his humor and by constantly bringing that up, it's clear it's just a deflection of the core issues of propagating this type of person. There are people who didn't understand that it's satire. Instead of mocking them recklessly and acting smug, simply correcting them would have probably been the right thing to do.

I started out in this thread as a smug mocking asshole too, and it was a shitty thing to do, but I honestly do not understand the double think that some people on this forum have towards celebrities. Whether it's Kanye or Joe Rogan or Tiger, or in this case, on a lower level, Dunkey.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There's something to be said for parts of the Internet and their propensity to be anhedonic but I'm sorry, this Dunkey character is a shithead with shithead friends who he doesn't seem to even acknowledge how shitty they are.

If you guys think this video consists of an actual list of Dunkey's friends, then I really just don't know what to tell you.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
To a lesser extent, it reminds me of the Joe Rogan stuff.

*after taking a massive bong rip* yo man you ever think about how some folks just, like, rank dudes because of their opinions and the things they say? like, wow, man, that's some wild shit, really makes you think. YO JAMIE YOU GOT THAT GIANT BAT VIDEO LET'S PLAY THAT SHIT

Hourglass97

Feb 16, 2019
The joke is the progressively more insane layout of the tier list itself, and both his attitude and description are riffing on the "final word" attitude people have about making these things when they really just boil down to opinion. There, you're welcome :)

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Video was meh, but I recognized enough of the YouTubers to get that the list didn't have any meaning and the comedy was the standard dunkey contradiction between words and action.

I don't think so, unless ripping off Tier Zoo counts as a fad? I think top 10 lists are an easier parody.

Tier Zoo is so entertaining. I just recently heard about it and watched every video. That channel really blew up over the year.