• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
As a Xbox One X owner, I say:

Show me the lie.

You can buy the loot box-infested, MTX-ridden AAA multiplatform titles on other consoles, that's what makes them multiplatform titles. So why did having only a Xbox One console ever make sense? The X is significantly more powerful, but rarely gets utilized to its full potential.

I think significantly more powerful is an understatement. It's mostly up to developers and their resources to use the Xbox one x. I mean look at gears 5

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree but this video feels like it's about 4 years too late. Saying "the Xbox One has a poor first party line-up" isn't exactly the most controversial or interesting opinion to have, and Microsoft seem to be trying to fix that if you look at the way they've been acquiring studios the past couple of years.

It also seems weird to put this video out a week after Microsoft finally put out a fantastic Xbone game with Gears 5.

I'd also argue that saying the Xbox One sucks based solely on exclusives lists is silly considering Microsoft is clearly moving away from caring about exclusives by putting everything on PC and even putting stuff like Cuphead on Switch!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Is "Remember guys it's just video games and have fun." the warning we're going to get whenever someone wants to signal boost an unfunny dipshit Youtuber who still hasn't apologised for his past bigotry from this point on?

It doesn't help that Dunky's serious takes are as shallow as a puddle and have been said 1,000 times already.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I see we are getting closser to the end of a generation with all these anti-(insert lowest selling console here) takes recently.

Oct 27, 2017
These literal console war videos do not make sense anymore in today's market - Microsoft is very clearly branching out and pursuing a different strategy than Sony or even Nintendo. And as a result we find ourselves in this unique scenario where every console maker is providing something different to the market and yes, that is a good thing.

Him comparing exlusives just shows how dumb and nonsensical the argument has gotten - things have changed people.
Console wars are very much a go to topic to drive views. People like controversy or dog piling. Nobody wants well thought out content

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
These literal console war videos do not make sense anymore in today's market - Microsoft is very clearly branching out and pursuing a different strategy than Sony or even Nintendo. And as a result we find ourselves in this unique scenario where every console maker is providing something different to the market and yes, that is a good thing.

Him comparing exlusives just shows how dumb and nonsensical the argument has gotten - things have changed people.
Yet... read the comments and watch the clicks rise. People love that shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a poorly timed video considering Gears 5's recent release.
I mean as absolutely badass as Gears 5 is it isn't the kind of game that has made people run out to buy an xbox.
It's an amazing game that the people who already own the console will absolutely enjoy and the people who are curious will probably see what it's about on PC.

I think that's the real point this video is making, if you are trying to choose between a PS4 and an xbox and 85% of the games are the same there isn't a compelling enough reason to swing towards xbox instead of PS4 unless you are really really really into halo and gears, in which case you probably didn't really consider the PS4 to begin with.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Wait, what's that? Xbox's exclusive output has generally been weaker than the others? My gods, what news! Quick, to the town crier!
Wait, what's this? It's perfectly possible to enjoy much of that output all the same and find this shit insanely tired and reductive? My lord, heavens!

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Someone posted here a few weeks back that really hit the nail on the head. Sony let their studios move on to create new things (Naughty Dog was one example) while Microsoft wanted their studios to keep churning out Halo/Gears/Forza games.

Anyway, great video. Owner of an Xbox One X here, and Gamepass is pretty great, but man, the Xbox is really hurting for exclusives that I'm dying to play.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with him here. His videos always brings the comedy big time lol.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
In summary... Microsoft exclusives aren't all that great.

Probably a poorly timed video considering Gears 5's recent release.
he explained his issue with gears 5, for him its too much of a "new coat of paint on the x360 gears games", the core combat loop of the formula had not evolved enough for him with the 2 latest iterations.

Djost1kk

Jan 14, 2018
Russia
I wouldn't say Gears 5 is a refined "Xbox 360" game. As John Linneman from Digital Foundry said, you can't have both graphics and 60fps + interactivity. You have to sacrifice something. And Gears 5 does exactly that.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I expect great things from MS next gen, but their offerings this generation have been the weakest I've ever seen since I started paying attention back in the GC/PS2/Xbox gen

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Gears 5 is just a 360 game with a fresh coat of paint? What the hell is he on about?
I mean, he probably started making the video assuming Gears 5 would flop/review poorly. Then it just... didn't. So rather than acknowledge a challenge to his central thesis, he just starts making shit up to justify the original point.

Dude's no different from any other forum shitposter, he just has solid video editing skills.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
MagnificentTallLabradorretriever-size_restricted.gif
Memes like this is the reason Knack 2 exists.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Another shitty donkey vid. Hyperbole to be interpret as comedy, satire or some other excuse.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like a lot of these videos are three or four years too late.

Dunkey's video is a bit disingenuous too... but I guess that's part of his schtick?

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, he probably started making the video assuming Gears 5 would flop/review poorly. Then it just... didn't. So rather than acknowledge a challenge to his central thesis, he just starts making shit up to justify the original point.

Dude's no different from any other forum shitposter, he just has solid video editing skills.
he put out a gears video before this one. i don't disagree with his assessment having played gears. it's fine but it's gears, we played that game 5 times before.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
His comments on Gears 5 are definitely a stretch considering all the changes the game made both to its design and narrative structure. But yeah, it's not really a new thing to recognize Microsoft needs to push out some more quality games.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I think he goes a bit too hard on Gears and Halo at the end. It feels like they're making a legitimate effort to revitalize Halo with Infinite and the reaction to Gears 5 is overwhelmingly positive and far better than Gears 4.

But the overall point of the video stands. I base most of a console's quality on its exclusive output.

Sony and Microsoft have demolished on that front for the past gen, even with Wii U.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I'd disagree. It's the biggest shake up in the franchise yet, easily.

What makes it more of a last gen game with a coat of paint, than say one of his counter part games, Uncharted 4? A game I also loved, by the way.
Absolutely nothing, which is why the video is a bit disingenuous. In fact, Uncharted 4 and Gears 5 evolved in similar ways.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Console wars should be considered as a serious case study by sociology and anthropology for us to generate scientific knowledge about posmodern tribalism.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The guy uses Wii U as example of a console that he considered no or less of a failure. Way to destroy any credibility

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That MS has problems with good exclusive games is hardly any news. Not sure what the point of that is when we also know that they're making an effort to change that. Let's just see how the new studios pan out. Gears 5 was absolutely a step in the right direction and reception has shown that

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's really harsh but probably fair in a simplistic look at what they've offered over the years. Microsoft haven't really set the world alight since the original xbox and early 360 days. Yes, there is some gems here and there, no doubt but those old days were exciting, I bought loads of Xbox exclusives, now not really. I hope Microsoft turn it around, time will tell. Xbox One could have been worse and people play 3rd party I suppose.

Last edited:

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
"Fuck Xbox" is like a YouTube cheat code. Threads do pretty good on era too. I've never gotten the appeal of this guy but folks seem to like him enough.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
he explained his issue with gears 5, for him its too much of a "new coat of paint on the x360 gears games", the core combat loop of the formula had not evolved enough for him with the 2 latest iterations.

They didn't lean enough into player initated combat, but having watched a few people playing online, I suspect even if they had it would have been lost on some people as they didn't really understand how it worked.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
For me the video would have been right up to the launch of sea of thieves. The new faith in rare to put out real games again and the game being something very different convinced me of the different strategy ms is heading for and that we see a very different ms compared to the start of the generation.

Yes, Halo is still their next big thing, but with these companies they bought and with their new PC strategy and game pass, I see a good future for them.

Maybe they won't beat Sony or Nintendo, but they will cement their place in the market again after struggling this gen.

Oct 27, 2017
His comments on Gears 5 are definitely a stretch considering all the changes the game made both to its design and narrative structure. But yeah, it's not really a new thing to recognize Microsoft needs to push out some more quality games.
The thing is, "quality" is just a perception that people ignore to make their argument. You would think that Halo 5 is the worst game in the world going by the hyperbole about it yet it's like 3 MC points lower than Spiderman and 4 or 5 lower than Horizon. Is 3 points really a make or break? And then the higher scoring games are dismissed as either being Indie or just more Forza. That's why I dismiss these quality statements and such. Like yea SoT was put out but so was Days gone etc

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Remember that period of time where the idea that exclusives don't matter was floated constantly? It's funny how hard that tide shifted.

Status
Not open for further replies.