• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad he singled out the reliance on the same ip repeatedly.

And I don't think it's really their fault (maybe it's Don Mattricks, but I digress)

I find this narrative really difficult. Mattrick left in July 2013 Phil has been in charge since since that time, officially since March 2014. That's 5 full years and 6 months. At what point is the onus on Phil to deliver IP? Or at the very least for us to stop blaming Mattrick for the "current" state of XBOX?

Last edited:

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass provides a shitton of games for a ridiculously cheap pricepoint, yeah. It doesn't have any of the truly stellar titles this gen though. Personally I go quality over quantity any day for my games.
They literally just put DMC5 on the service. Monster Hunter is there, and all of the Horizon games are there. That's in addition to plenty of smaller indie titles like Ori, Dead Cells, and Outer Wilds.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Gamepass provides a shitton of games for a ridiculously cheap pricepoint, yeah. It doesn't have any of the truly stellar titles this gen though. Personally I go quality over quantity any day for my games.
Outer Wilds, Bloodstained, and DMC V are all easy locks for this site's own GOTY list - all currently on that service.

(Correction - Bloodstained arrives tomorrow.)

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Most recently, the people working at 343i leaving the Halo project. Then there was the news earlier today about them shifting to different metrics since sales don't matter or whatever. Just reeks of a company without a clue. There is zero chance I buy the next Xbox console. I have no faith in this company to deliver anymore.
LOL

OP
OP
PixelatedDonut

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
This feels like a video most other youtubers made like 3 years ago.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that Microsoft has given up on trying to beat Sony in a direct head on "platform exclusives" hardware war since all of their first party titles will be coming to PC. Going forward, their strategy seems to be focusing on the platform of Games Pass and the next Xbox being a premium "luxury" gaming machine for people who want power but can't drop $1,500 + on a PC. It'll be interesting to see what the messaging surrounding the next Xbox announcement looks like at E3 2020.

If Dunky wanted to do a "The death of X" video, he could have made something fun about the Dreamcast given the recent anniversary. But then again, maybe he just genuinely has beef with Xbox?
Phill has been saying the opposite and they've been spending millions on new studios tho, they even opened one in SIE territory. I've seen this weird deflection here that ms doesn't care about getting/making big exclusives........it seems like they are literally trying to fix that.

ReddishGUI

Oct 25, 2017
Weird video to release in 2019... even though most of what he says is right(Gears 5 was stellar though IMO), it's also the reasons why they have changed their strategy so much over the past few years.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I used to think exclusives were all that mattered. But gamepass has changed my opinion drastically. Best value on the market

Game Pass is weird though, for me. Like, I think it launched too late, to the point where unless you hadn't played a console game or anything from their ecosystem until Game Pass launched, chances are you already have most of the older stuff on there that you'd want.

It's fantastic for upcoming exclusives releasing day 1, but for someone who already owned the Sony consoles, and had most of the Xbox One exclusives on disc before Game Pass (Gears is like the only major one I don't have, because I'm not a huge fan), aside from a few last gen 360 exclusive games/indies, I already had the vast majority of games on the service.

I just think that it's a service that really should've launched with the console, not like 4 years into the gen. I don't want to knock the service itself, as it's probably the best decision they've made in years, but it just kinda feels redundant for someone who already has a PS3, PS4, and PC, and already owned the pre-Game Pass exclusives before the service launched.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Microsoft absolutely deserved the bulk of the criticism they received this gen, but Dunkey's arguments are really weak and show a lack of knowledge on the subject.

Bringing up Cuphead and Ori being on Switch as "bad luck" for Microsoft, when it was Microsoft that brought the games to the platform just shows he isn't super informed about this.

The new studio acquisitions are brought up, and then immediately disregarded because there's a chance they may not work out. While It's true that nobody can say for sure if they'll all be successful, but given one of the main points of his argument is that Microsoft isn't putting out enough games and isn't spending enough money, it really just weakens his argument.

I'm reminded of his video criticizing video game reviews/journalism. His arguments are very surface level.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, the passive aggressive comments implying everyone's got it out for MS are out in full force. Honestly, each console has had its share of bad press from time to time and most games get "X game failed" vids. I wouldn't sweat it so much personally. If you're happy with what MS is doing, great. The conspiracy theories are just a bad look around here in general though.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
and despite of it, Xbox One X is still the best console of the generation

Games sell consoles though. Always have. It's what Sony and Nintendo have built everything on. What market share do you think the Xbox One X has? Hard to tell as MS are too embarrassed to release numbers any more, but I bet it's pretty small. That specs advantage will also get wiped out at the next console refresh but their games deficit won't be.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Phill has been saying the opposite and they've been spending millions on new studios tho, they even opened one in SIE territory.

Yeah, but those games won't be exclusive to the Xbox hardware is my point. They'll be Microsoft games, but available on PC (and some on Switch) as well.

What I'm saying is, despite investing a ton in developing new games with new acquisitions, it's a fundamentally different strategy than what Sony and Nintendo pursue. Sony's exclusives are available "only on Playstation"; Nintendo's exclusives are available "only on Switch"; Microsoft's exclusives are available "everywhere but Playstation".

Netflix wants to be everywhere, Xbox wants to be everywhere.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Knack and Viva Pinata in the same video. He's just playing with my emotions now

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, "quality" is just a perception that people ignore to make their argument. You would think that Halo 5 is the worst game in the world going by the hyperbole about it yet it's like 3 MC points lower than Spiderman and 4 or 5 lower than Horizon. Is 3 points really a make or break? And then the higher scoring games are dismissed as either being Indie or just more Forza. That's why I dismiss these quality statements and such. Like yea SoT was put out but so was Days gone etc

Having a high score vs being a commercial success that gets people talking might be the difference there. Halo 5 definitely didn't generate the buzz that Spiderman or HZD seemed to. Maybe it just got caught up in the rhetoric and judged unfairly.

Sep 14, 2019
Is "Remember guys it's just video games and have fun." the warning we're going to get whenever someone wants to signal boost an unfunny dipshit Youtuber who still hasn't apologised for his past bigotry from this point on?

It doesn't help that Dunky's serious takes are as shallow as a puddle and have been said 1,000 times already.
Past bigotry?

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Oh boy, the passive aggressive comments implying everyone's got it out for MS are out in full force. Honestly, each console has had its share of bad press from time to time and most games get "X game failed" vids. I wouldn't sweat it so much personally. If you're happy with what MS is doing, great. The conspiracy theories are just a bad look around here in general though.

Didn't you read the OP? You got to chill, man! It's all fun!

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see whats so controversial about this video? XBOX excelled in tech, crossplay and value this gen but stumbled when it came to making games. Stating the obvious isn't console warring. They seem well positioned for next gen but this gen was kind of tepid.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
At this point in the industry, Xbox really isn't a first party company anymore. They're a third party company. My main confusion is their very inconsistent message. "We want our games on all platforms!" Also "We want the next Xbox to have value". There's no legitimate reason to buy Scarlett if there aren't going to be exclusive games or services. If they're going to continue bringing over their games and services like Gamepass to other platforms, then why buy and Xbox when you can get everything from that console on this other one that also has exclusive games and services of its own?

They make consoles, but I don't personally consider them a first party company or manufacturer anymore. Especially since they haven't made an exclusive game for like 3 years and will continue to bring all their games to other platforms. And that's fine, they're changing what they want to do in the same way Sega changed what they want to do. Progression is inevitable in the industry

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Microsoft has a very solid plan up ahead and Gamepass will become an absolute monster if they keep going as they do right now - the service is barely out of its infancy.

This whole situation kinda reminds me of the initial Switch reveal and people completely downplaying each and every aspect of its appeal.

Oct 27, 2017
If Xbox One didn't have backwards compatibility then I would have felt pretty bad about my purchase and agree with the video.

But it does have backwards compatibility and the X enhancements are so good. As long as Scarlett keeps enhancing original Xbox and 360 games, and assuming Xbox One joins the party, it'll be a machine worth owning.

My obsession with backwards compatibility might make my opinion invalid.

PS4 has kicked the Xbox all over the park this generation. But this isnt news. The kinect era really did a number on the brand.

Sony recovered from the PS3 launch, Nintendo recovered from the Wii U. I'm hopeful Xbox can recover from the Xbox One.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God damn guys chill.
I'd argue Outer Wilds is one of the best games of this generation, but that's personal taste more than anything.
Oh absolutely.
Yeah, if only something like Gears 5 or FH4 was on GP.
Gears is a fine game but nothing close to Bloodborne, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey or God of War. NOt even close, imo. Horizon is pretty cool though, sure.
And what's a quality game for you?
Things I enjoyed the most. I could argue for Metacritic nonsense too, but I don't really need to.
They literally just put DMC5 on the service. Monster Hunter is there, and all of the Horizon games are there. That's in addition to plenty of smaller indie titles like Ori, Dead Cells, and Outer Wilds.
I legit didn't know Monster Hunter was on there. That's cool then.
Outer Wilds, Bloodstained, and DMC V are all easy locks for this site's own GOTY list - all currently on that service.

(Correction - Bloodstained arrives tomorrow.)
Outer Wilds maybe, DMC V maaaybe, Bloodstained is not a good game, imo.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It's obvious Xbox stumbled this gen, but it's also obvious that next-gen is going to be completely different. You can't mention the lack of exclusives this gen without also mentioning the massive increase in first-party capabilities going into next gen. Don't they have the most first-party studios at this point? (and they're still growing)

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last couple of weeks has seen anti-Xbox videos from a racist like Crowbcat, F-word user Dunkey, and Sterling, who's not a bigot like the other 2, but loves to create drama for the sake of it. I take these videos from who they come from. Yes, the Xbox division had issues and I agree with them, but when you spread those issues with hate and misinformation, I don't know how to take them as valid.

Gears 5 is not exclusive.
To Microsoft? Who else has the license. LJN?

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
My obsession with backwards compatibility might make my opinion invalid.

Backwards compatibility is actually a huge thing for me. So much so, that it's one of the main reasons I plan on picking up the next Xbox. Maintaining easy access to my 3 generations worth of old games.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Indeed,that was certainly a thing for a while.Sony and Nintendo didn't get the memo though did they,lol.....they just doubled down and put out exclusive after exclusive of amazing quality...which people then bought in huge numbers.
Yeah, I always thought it was a really weird stance.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Random question: what is the soundtrack playing at the end of the video?

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
I find this narrative really difficult. Mattrick left in July 2013 Phil has been in charge since since that time, officially since March 2014. That's 5 full years and 6 months. At what point is the onus on Phil to deliver IP? Or at the very least for us to stop blaming Mattrick for the "current" state of XBOX?
Yep, Phil was part of the executive team for far too long to let him slide on any of the shit that went down. Blaming Mattrick is lazy. Xbox's problems started long before Xbox One released.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'd disagree. It's the biggest shake up in the franchise yet, easily.

What makes it more of a last gen game with a coat of paint, than say one of his counter part games, Uncharted 4? A game I also loved, by the way.
True that it's the biggest shake up. Even if a case cannot be made for Uncharted 4, the impression I'm getting based on all we've seen and heard (and this may end up being confirmed next week), is that Naughty Dog with The Last of Us Part II is looking to offer a bigger shake up on their second entry than Gears has by its sixth. Is it fair given ND is a lot more seasoned and The Coalition is a relatively fresh studio? Surely not, so give them a couple more titles to really get into their groove and we might just see a true overhaul to the formula.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Let's say Microsoft has two more successful consoles, they could still be behind SONY in all likelihood. This is Microsoft.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Was that guy at the end talking shit about Knack in 2014? You come at the bull, you get the horns. Who's laughing now?

Status
Not open for further replies.