• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

InfiniteBlue

Nov 1, 2017
The more I read this, the more perplexed I get. If this isn't actually trolling, how the hell did gaming get to this point?

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He seems to mostly respond to people who agree with him. I replied to this tweet. Chances he responds are almost nil.

It's more his resign comment and nonsensical argumentation deflection that riles me up. I hate it when people do that in debates. "Did you know that this other thing is far more serious therefore you're a loser for talking about this less serious thing". Healthcare sucks so why are you spending ANY time talking about this?!?!

Debating gambling definitions is fine, that's been happening non-stop. At the end of the day though legislation can be flexible, as can many laws, so if one day it is declared legally as gambling then... its gambling. For now many of us are trying to scale it back a little and say "gambling mechanics" in order to try and somewhat calm those blowing blood vessels hunting down and quoting every single person who uses the world gambling.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
It's more his resign comment and nonsensical argumentation deflection that riles me up. I hate it when people do that in debates. "Did you know that this other thing is far more serious therefore you're a loser for talking about this less serious thing".

Debating gambling definitions is fine, that's been happening non-stop. At the end of the day though legislation can be flexible, as can many laws, so if one day it is declared legally as gambling then... its gambling. For now many of us are trying to scale it back a little and say "gambling mechanics" in order to try and somewhat calm those blowing blood vessels to hunt down and quote every single person who uses the world gambling.

It's his absolute certainty on the subject, condescending tone, and typical rich white guy power tripping that bugs me.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was hoping it was a committee to find those responsible and hang them in a public forum :(

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's more his resign comment and nonsensical argumentation deflection that riles me up. I hate it when people do that in debates. "Did you know that this other thing is far more serious therefore you're a loser for talking about this less serious thing". Healthcare sucks so why are you spending ANY time talking about this?!?!

Debating gambling definitions is fine, that's been happening non-stop. At the end of the day though legislation can be flexible, as can many laws, so if one day it is declared legally as gambling then... its gambling. For now many of us are trying to scale it back a little and say "gambling mechanics" in order to try and somewhat calm those blowing blood vessels to hunt down and quote every single person who uses the world gambling.
Yeah, it's juvenile, for sure. The one thing I will say is that mindshare (either public or gov't) is finite, and legislative bodies do have to prioritize their agendas. So unlike many people, I don't find "whataboutisms" completely without merit. However, unless someone is packing every moment of every day trying to solve the big issues, I think there's room to talk about the smaller issues sometimes, as well. In such an instance, a "whataboutism" is likely to be an attempt at a dismissal, rather than an honest effort to prioritize.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017

Debating gambling definitions is fine, that's been happening non-stop. At the end of the day though legislation can be flexible, as can many laws, so if one day it is declared legally as gambling then... its gambling. For now many of us are trying to scale it back a little and say "gambling mechanics" in order to try and somewhat calm those blowing blood vessels hunting down and quoting every single person who uses the world gambling.

Belgium labelled it gambling, so it is gambling there. Sure it doesn't meet the legal standards in the US, but maybe those who get upset over that word should realise that the USA isn't the entire world.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's juvenile, for sure. The one thing I will say is that mindshare (either public or gov't) is finite, and legislative bodies do have to prioritize their agendas. So unlike many people, I don't find "whataboutisms" completely without merit. However, unless someone is packing every moment of every day trying to solve the big issues, I think there's room to talk about the smaller issues sometimes, as well. In such an instance, a "whataboutism" is likely to be an attempt at a dismissal, rather than an honest effort to prioritize.

Well, this is an issue brought about by consumers, so citizens, writing to their local representatives and also signing petitions. Yes, petitions are pointless to some extent, but when added into the mix and getting tens of thousands of signatures it helps. It was a petition in the UK which actually "forced" our Government to respond.

Plus, it's an international issue. It's not just MP's and leaders in America who have been written to, but those across Europe too. When one or two countries start talking out others might follow. The whole thing has picked up some steam largely thanks to consumers being mobilized and reaching out.

While resources are indeed finite, I agree, one thing those elected are supposed to do is represent those they stand for/those who contact them. More eyes are on this globally than I think some might realize.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
"As a result of the increasing external pressure for reform and regulation on the games industry, a group of industry leaders and experts has agreed to come together and form an anti-reform, anti-regulation lobby."

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
They had a coalition to avoid regulation already. They failed because they are greedy assholes. Nothing good will come of this (unless you own stock, maybe).

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's his absolute certainty on the subject, condescending tone, and typical rich white guy power tripping that bugs me.
Well he is one of those whales EA and mobile companies cater to.

He doesn't want to lose his advantage.

I'm serious. He plays some mobile strategy game and his entire clan are ok with pay to win.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"tangible value" doesn't mean "something that you can literally hold in your hands"

It's fucking gambling.

Ace Harding

Oct 25, 2017
This is 100% not real. No way an actual organization led by actual executives would have approved that poorly written piece of shit.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Reads like potential NPD staff. Or maybe it's Michael Pachter. We can get more hot takes like

Guy is losing his fucking mind because people are saying mean things about Battlefront 2 and loot boxes in general.

Well, someone is showing his true colors. I wonder on whose payroll is he on?

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
dHj5K2Z.jpg
lmao

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"As a result of the increasing external pressure for reform and regulation on the games industry, a group of industry leaders and experts has agreed to come together and form an anti-reform, anti-regulation lobby."

Pretty much, yeah.
Thats how politics is kind of supposed to work.
For every anti-thing group there is a corresponding pro-thing group, and they will both lobby to get what they want.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's not gambling because you can't sell it!

So it's just worse gambling lol. Digital goods need some serious reform.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Well he is one of those whales EA and mobile companies cater to.

He doesn't want to lose his advantage.

I'm serious. He plays some mobile strategy game and his entire clan are ok with pay to win.

Lol, yeah I remember him talking about game where he dropped a bunch of money to kick some Filipino ass because they had disrespected him or something, like who does that? I haven't listened to his show for a couple years, but that was weird.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
"tangible value" doesn't mean "something that you can literally hold in your hands"

It's fucking gambling.

It's not gambling because you can't sell it!

So it's just worse gambling lol. Digital goods need some serious reform.
Seriously. Semantic bullshit like this is exactly why I have lost most of my faith in US law. It's all about who can twist definitons the most to fit their agenda.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Combine all the awfulness of the video game industry with the poison known as political lobbyists. This will end well.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, someone is showing his true colors. I wonder on whose payroll is he on?
I mean, his job is to be an financial analyst for the games industry, telling people which companies to invest in to get maximum profit. So obviously it's in his best interest for games companies like EA and Activision to engage in shitty practices that make those companies, and by extension their shareholders, lots of money because that will make his consumers happy

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
All I want is to take my wallet out of the RNG equation. If I pay money, I want to know exactly what I'm getting. If your lobby stands for that, you have my axe

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't this be the ESRBs job?
Anyway it's hard to regulate these things since they can be changed with a simple patch overnight.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, his job is to be an financial analyst for the games industry, telling people which companies to invest in to get maximum profit. So obviously it's in his best interest for games companies like EA and Activision to engage in shitty practices that make those companies, and by extension their shareholders, lots of money because that will make his consumers happy

Yeah, this. Pachter isn't on a payroll, people are on his payroll. If anything threatens to throw a curveball at monetization then that hurts his industry of investment and advice on financial gains. Uncertainty can be a killer.

Still, as I said earlier, he can be honest about his business interests and stances without resorting to takes that sound like they've been lifted from GameFAQs. Shouting at a politician to resign as he and his team have a brief and respectful presentation and stop by reddit to respond to some posts is the height of being a man baby. And Pachter is a successful rich man... Not a GameFAQs poster, as far as we know.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this. Pachter isn't on a payroll, people are on his payroll. If anything threatens to throw a curveball at monetization then that hurts his industry of investment and advice on financial gains. Uncertainty can be a killer.

Still, as I said earlier, he can be honest about his business interests and stances without resorting to takes that sound like they've been lifted from GameFAQs.
I mean, I don't feel like Pachter has ever come off as being particularly professional so him behaving like an asshole about this isn't surprising to me

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't 60 year old people trying to decide if Mortal Kombat will warp kids. Chris Lee and Sean Quinlan are both in their mid-30's. They are the average male videogame purchaser and player according to the ESA's own data.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't agree with him either, but boy this hyperbole is wild. Standing by his beliefs=/= "losing his fucking mind"

Debate the argument, not attack the people. Either in America or Europe none of the politicians as far as I can see have said anything outrageous or seriously unfair as of yet. It's all been polite, respectful and from a state of inquiry and debate. So yeah, I'll give Patcher a little jab for going to shitposting and acting no better than an angry gamer shouting "they're trying to take our loot boxes away!".

Browse his twitter, he's acting a bit trashy around all of this. As the poster above me said, and as one of the politicians echoed, many in the Government, especially in certain age brackets, actually grew up as... gamers. Quite a few of them know their shit hence how their inquiry and debate uses gaming terminologies and isn't like your 80 year old grandpa trying to act down with the kids. People were "shocked" just to hear someone in the government say "the AAA industry".

I think that actually "scares" some of the industry as they can't just effortlessly paint this as the big bad mean government trying to censor your games! Up next no GTA! It's quite clearly nothing like that, it's a laser focused debate on gaming monetization and paying for RNG.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't 60 year old people trying to decide if Mortal Kombat will warp kids. Chris Lee and Sean Quinlan are both in their mid-30's. They are the average male videogame purchaser and player according to the ESA's own data.

Yep.

http://www.pcgamer.com/australian-g...oxes-constitute-gambling-by-legal-definition/
"It is perhaps unfortunate for these companies that gamers have infiltrated most areas of government; be assured that knowledgeable and interested parties are undertaking a large body of work in relation to issues you noted. And if an avenue of investigation or enforcement is found, then we will most definitely pursue it."

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the surprise of no one corporations are actually very well equipped to navigate the political landscape, and when the government gets involved it might be just easier for them to grease some palms than face the music.

System is rigged that way.

Last edited:

Dmonzy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly not even sure what to think of this. It sounds shady but it also sounds like this isn't going to do anything.