• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how they not only want to continue with their lootbox scam but also want to fight overtime pay at the same time, haha.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
dHj5K2Z.jpg
Hahaha. Freudian slip?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Fortunately I've had a wile ride with videogames and am on my last gaming legs. Unfortunately future generations will probably be screwed when it comes to gaming experiences when these guys work to keep things going the way they want them to go. The future gamers can always play ancient PC games that had denuvo removed and maybe even games with private servers, as long as they have the internet plan that gives them access to old gaming archive sites.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

He seems to mostly respond to people who agree with him. I replied to this tweet. Chances he responds are almost nil.

Well, I stand corrected. He actually replied to me. I think his response misses the mark, but I've got to give credit where credit's due: I assumed he wouldn't respond, but he did. My bad.

Deleted member 17491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This smells an awful lot like a lobby group dedicated to protection this industry and their beloved lootbox practices from a possible government intervention.

Sickening.

Hopefully other countries will smack down hard on the game industry.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are a coalition of high level industry experts and influencers.

Mmm, just how I like my advocacy groups. Lots of "industrial expertise" and eager to exercise/amass influence.

Oh, and I would have kept my mouth shut about this part:

Unlike the IGDA, we are not an association of game developers.

Not exactly something to wear on your sleeve, since developers themselves are kind of the only people that have the trust of consumers in this industry anymore.

Last edited:

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This smells an awful lot like a lobby group dedicated to protection this industry and their beloved lootbox practices from a possible government intervention.

Sickening.

Hopefully other countries will smack down hard on the game industry.
Are you advocating for the U.S. government to regulate the videogame industry? With this administration?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
How could Pachter possibly take issue with the "gambling-like" description? It's obviously not gambling, that's why it's gambling-like, and it absolutely is.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
My question to all those in this threads going "look at all these companies trying to fuck us over"- where do you get the impression from that any major publishers are involved in this group? Just randomly jumping to conclusions, or any actual insights? he only mention of people and companies involved find on their website almost exclusively lists indie game companies (most of which I have not heard of previously).

Listed companies mentioned on the homepage section of their steering committee are:
Incuvation Games
Paralux Interactive
ESL (obviously a big name, though the person is listed as a project manager rather than any Exec)
Black Shell Media (this name rings a bell, though for negative reasons if memory serves)
MultiverseGames
CIRCLE Entertainment

Not exactly the AAA publishers that half of the people posting here are implying are behind this, right?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what to make of this, as the cynicism in me thinks it's a knee-jerk reaction to the spotlight being blasted onto the games industry with some Governments going full savage.

Like some sort of consumer advocacy group ran by Bobby Kotick.

I highly doubt any of this would have blown up at all, or at least at this point if it wasn't associated with Star Wars. Loot crates have been around for many years, and suddenly it's "Oh noes the children!"? Give me a break.

We are a coalition of high level industry experts and influencer$

The OP reads similar to the way Ajit Pai tried to confuse congress on what the "benefits" of abolishing net neutrality are, and how it's magically in favor of the consumer.

Last edited:

Erik Twice

Nov 2, 2017
I would not be surprised if they start a fake grassroot campaigns on forums and on Reddit defending loot boxes.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want regulations, or as they are more accurately described, protections. Self-regulation generally doesn't work and especially not in the sewer of the games industry, where it has already abjectly failed. This is simply an industry lobby group to keep as much lootbox bullshit as they can.

I was really disappointed to see Psyonix linking that PC Gamer article fear-mongering over legislation in a Rocket League update. It's literally the only game with loot boxes I have and only because they put them in over a year after I bought it. If you fear your Government putting in basic consumer protections, then elect a better Government (and perhaps ban industry lobbying).

I glad here in Australia the relevant department appears to have correctly identified lootboxes as gambling. Hopefully other countries update their laws to the current reality too.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
A group of industry leaders and experts.

I recognize none of these people, nor do I recognize most of these games.

Lol at calling a community manager an expert.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
A group of industry leaders and experts.

I recognize none of these people, nor do I recognize most of these games.

Lol at calling a community manager an expert.

Isn't a Community Manager's exact job to be an expert at knowing what players want and dislike? That was certainly the expectation people had when I worked as a CM...

Seems a bit harsh to summarily discard someone's knowledge or expertise of the industry due to their job title- especially as Cm can mean a lot of wildly different tasks between different companies.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is all very self-appointed and oddly amateurish. American flags, "gamers under fire", etc. If they're sincere, all the best, but little about them screams "serious organization that should be taken seriously".

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
This is all very self-appointed and oddly amateurish. American flags, "gamers under fire", etc. If they're sincere, all the best, but little about them screams "serious organization that should be taken seriously".

Pretty much this, yes. I am not familiar with most of the people mentioned in the Steering Committee, there already is an industry interest group that most of the big companies are part of, and some of their rhetoric is pretty off-putting to me. "Gamers under fire", "of all political leanings".

Also, why would you ever want to have two versions of your website up at the same time? Yes, it does all seem a tad amateurish, and very unclear. How do you advise on policy, when yo also say "The NCGP will never take a position on policy". Weird.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
The more I look at it, the more I think it's either a shady scam or just some random bollocks that don't mean anything.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
This is a bad joke right? Invite only lobby to basically fight against goverment regulation of loot box economies and predatory gambling lol. They should change the name of the genre from games as a service to games as a soulless focus-tested product devoid of artistic merit and designed to maximize shareholder profit. Founding members: EA and those you tuber kids caught rigging CS:GO gambling sites/ kidding.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If you're going to form a lobbying group to keep peddling gambling to children, at least make sure your website is competently designed and professional, and that your first communication to the public was written and edited by professionals. This feels like a highschool project or something.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
find these companys and dont buy their games, its the only way they will learn.
The problem is the people "voting with their wallets" are a very small majority.

That's why the controversies around Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2 are so important because it affects the millions of people who already purchased these games. This may prompt these people to vote with their wallets in the future and really hurt a publisher's revenue stream, prompting change.

tareqsalah

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If we decide not to buy a game like starwars that cost 100's of millions of dollars to make because of loot crates and then we buy games like the witcher 3. Companies will start paying attention.

Hit them where it hurts. Support good practices and punish bad ones.

The problem is when u go to gamestop and there are 20 people in line to buy starwars, 19 of those dont know about the loot crate.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Those damn employees thinking they should be compensated for extra work they do. Truly the scum of the Earth./s

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's essentially a lobby group to prevent government intervention.

Pretty much. The other groups that should be heading off the loot crate crisis didn't do their jobs, and now someone has to step in before governments crack down and fuck up the industry.

Loot crates as we know them today will not survive. They're far too close to gambling, and this is an industry that relies on kids. Gambling and kids don't mix. Sorry EA, Activision and everyone else. You'll need to find another monetization scheme.