• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've formed by own group of online commentators and product experiencers. We're called Geoff's Group of Game Regulators. Or just Regulators for short.

REGULATORS!!!!!!! MOUNT UP!!!!

Our steering committer has decided that all this shit ain't right.

Fin

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I like the proposed title "month old video game discussion board does better fact finding than gamasutra"

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, let's all breath a sigh of relief that this turned out to be some impotent half-baked chat-group masquerading as a Think Tank, instead of being the Gaming NRA.

Now to get back to praying that the past two weeks doesn't turn the ESA into a GOP Super-PAC. If that happens it's Indie Games for Life for me, and only unrated ones at that.

Geek

Nov 8, 2017
Personally I like the proposed title "month old video game discussion board does better fact finding than gamasutra"

Gamasutra doesn't do fact finding on the press releases it publishes via Gamespress. This is noted in every press release published on the site:

[This unedited press release is made available courtesy of Gamasutra and its partnership with notable game PR-related resource GamesPress.]

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
Watch this group get invited to EA to discuss lootcrates and come out full of ea swag claiming that after a long meeting and debates they have come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with lootcrates.

Oct 25, 2017
r8tSMLhG_400x400.jpg

That logo is weirdly off-center, gives me a headache. Also, they just cut it out with a screencapture tool to use it on Twitter.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck this. Seriously.

This looks and sounds hilariously amateurish and opportunistic.

Continue with actual regulation please, politicians. These self-designated industry representers do not represent us.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gamasutra doesn't do fact finding on the press releases it publishes via Gamespress. This is noted in every press release published on the site:

[This unedited press release is made available courtesy of Gamasutra and its partnership with notable game PR-related resource GamesPress.]
Very well. I take back the insult.
XD

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
Lets give all our support and confidence to this self-appointed unknown group, made by undisclosed people guys, I mean what's worst it can happen?

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, seriously, is every single outlet just quoting the press release by saying this organisation consists of "high level industry experts" without actually knowing who that's supposed to be? Because so far, all of this seems amateurish and shady as hell. One of the first things I see when I click on their Twitter account is their founder Kenneth Tran talking about how he ran a Ragnarok Online private server onceand a weird Tweet that just says #lootgate Gamers Under Fire. This is literally just some dude going "Hey, we represent video games now", without saying who "we" is supposed to be and while utterly ignoring the organisations that are already in place in the US to do exactly that.

Ah, foundthis page detailing their "Steering Comittee":

So we got:
The cofounder of a publisher of a 3 year old browser game,
The community manager of that very same game (huh!)
An accountant with no connection to the video game industry as far as I can see, but is, SURPRISE, a partner of Kenneth Tran's
The founder of Paralux interactive whose only credit seems to be an unsuccessful kickstarter of Sportball Manager
A employee of the ESL
An indie Developer of a few pretty cool games back in 2015 (finally!) EDIT: Seems like a was a little too well-meaning here: Seems like Daniel Doan was once an indie developer, but focuses now on "growth hacking" and "viral marketing" which seems to translate to asking for money from small developers to spam on Twitter about their game.
The other cofounder of the publisher of the already mentioned 3 year old browser game (huuuuuuuh)
A localization expert

4 of those 8 people are business partners, one of them has no links to the video game industry at all and there doesn't seem to be a single woman present in their "leadership".

Yeaaaaah. I'm gonna go ahead and stary weary of this one.

Jesus
Launch this shit into the sun

Jack

Oct 25, 2017
An indie Developer of a few pretty cool games back in 2015 (finally!) EDIT: Seems like a was a little too well-meaning here: Seems like Daniel Doan was once an indie developer, but focuses now on "growth hacking" and "viral marketing" which seems to translate to asking for money from small developers to spam on Twitter about their game.
Can confirm. Got a few emails from him before until I added a filter for BSM that goes straight to trash.

He also randomly follows me on social media then unfollows a day or two later when I don't follow him back. He's done that a few dozen times already (no joke, I lost count). I think there's another at BSM that did the same with me, just not as often. No thanks.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
"Gamers under fire", let's call it that! That way maybe we can find enough idiots that have no idea what's happening, to support our cause!

WastedDeer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also setting up a lobby group/ think tank called the INGC or the 'It's Not Gambling Commission'.

Our goal is to spread loot boxes into normal everyday life until people let the games industry do what they want.

The first demographic we are targeting are children and school meals. The idea is to have a random assortment of loot boxes or 'lunch boxes' as they will be called that children can buy. If they dislike or don't want what comes in their random lunch box they can just buy another until they do. Of course all lunch boxes must be bought with prepaid credits but if you spend more on credits you get better value!

Our group will be run by top people.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
So what do all the posters in here who jumped on the evil executives trying to become the NRA have to say now? Any lessons learned about reading first, jumping to conclusions later?

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
wrap it up guys, battlefront 2 is good now

Or, we could agree that anyone who took a few minutes to read up on this instead of getting up in arms over a headline would realise that none of these companies and people involved have anything to do with Battlefront 2, or other AAA games.

Also, the ESA already exists as a industry interest group in the US for the AAA industry, which somehow most people seem to ignore in here.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
So what do all the posters in here who jumped on the evil executives trying to become the NRA have to say now? Any lessons learned about reading first, jumping to conclusions later?
No, because they never actually read anything beyond the title (which is deceptive as hell).

That's not going to change just because we can now definitively say this is bunk.

DDayton

Oct 27, 2017
There was a group of game-playing folks going by the name of "Don't Blame Games" several years ago. I met them at an e3.

I'm not sure how that's relevant, except that it sounds like these guys took their idea just a step further. They never attempted to create an industry watch group, though.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say, the fact that Kotaku still doesn't have anything up about this made me think Jason and/or other staff was looking into it because of another potential fake.