RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Trailer

In this sequel to "Vikings," over a hundred years have passed and a new generation of legendary heroes arises to forge its own destiny — and make history.

The series chronicles the heroic adventures of some of the most famous Vikings who ever lived — the legendary explorer Leif Eriksson, his fiery and headstrong sister Freydis Eriksdotter, and the ambitious Nordic prince Harald Sigurdsson. As tensions between the Vikings and the English royals reach a bloody breaking point and as the Vikings themselves clash over their conflicting Christian and pagan beliefs, these three Vikings begin an epic journey that will take them across oceans and through battlefields, from Kattegat to England and beyond, as they fight for survival and glory.

The series has received a 24 episode order, for 3 seasons consisting of 8 episodes each.

Last edited:

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my rewatch of Vikings, I stopped in Season 4 ages ago but finally watched it all, even the later seasons despite.... alot of writing issues I enjoyed myself. Im cautiously optimistic for the sequel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished my rewatch of Vikings, stopped in Season 4, even the later seasons despite some of the writing I enjoyed myself. Im cautiously optimistic for the sequel.

One thing that makes me excited for it is that it has a different showrunner - Jeb Stuart. Nothing against Michael Hirst, but after having written every single episode of the original series by himself, you could definitely feel when he was running out of ideas or just getting bored.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it a shot but honestly the best part of Vikings was Ragnar Lothbrook, once he was gone from the show the quality took a steep nosedive and the last season was horrendous. Hopefully they have some good characters here and don't whiplash character arcs.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I stopped watching at the second to last season as the writing was ass. I'll give this a watch though since Hirst is out.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Last Kingdom worth a watch?
Absolutely. I'd say TLK isn't quite as good as the first couple seasons of Vikings, but overall looking at the entirety of both, TLK is better.

The nice thing is it's a different time period, nearly 100 years after Vikings S1 iirc, so it covers different history and characters.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
I'll give it a shot but honestly the best part of Vikings was Ragnar Lothbrook, once he was gone from the show the quality took a steep nosedive and the last season was horrendous. Hopefully they have some good characters here and don't whiplash character arcs.
This for me.

Vikings is an amazing show. But I am yet to finish it. Can rewatch the first 4 seasons no worries and love it. But within a season or so of Ragnars death it just lost the magic it once had for me and feels like such a chore i give up.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I could never really get in to that period so never really tried watching TLK in earnest. I might give this a shot and see if it sticks.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. I'd say TLK isn't quite as good as the first couple seasons of Vikings, but overall looking at the entirety of both, TLK is better.

The nice thing is it's a different time period, nearly 100 years after Vikings S1 iirc, so it covers different history and characters.
Ehhh. not really. The first season of TLK is Ragnar's sons invading England, and IIRC Uthred even fights one of them (I think Ubba).

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I can't be the only person who sees the serif-less A's and the name Valhalla and thinks they are trying to sweep in some Assassin's Creed people with this, can I?

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Last Kingdom worth a watch?
I paraphrase something I read on here a while ago, before watching both Vikings and Last Kingdom: Vikings' highs are much higher, but it's lows very low, while Last Kingdom is always pretty good throughout.

As for Valhalla: I doubt the series will reach Vikings high points, but I want it to be great. What I saw from the trailer didn't do that much for me though. But I thought the same about Last Kingdom and ended up loving it, so I want to be optimistic.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I really enjoyed Viking up to the point ragnar died, everything went downhill fast after that, dumb characters, bad acting and writing. I'm still mad what they did with floki.

It should have stopped there, I did keep watching until season 7 I believe, I should finish it at least and give it a try

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I just checked.

Vikings S1 begins in 793, the raid at Lindisfarne.

TLK starts in 872. So that's 79 years.

Can't compare Vikings with any semblance of historical accuracy, especially in the dates.

The invasion of the Great Heathen Army (aka, Ragnar's son going back to England to conquer it) took place in 865. Wich would place Ragnar's death between 860 to 865 if we take into account the show's chronology, so nearly 70 years after the raid at Lindisfarne. That would thus set Ragnar's age aroud 80/90 years old for his death in the show. The aging makeup thus wasn't very convincing if you ask me. :p

And Ragnar's brother is shown to end up being Rollo of Normandy. A dude who died around 932 at 86. Wich mean he was born in 846. 53 years before the raid at Lindisfarne. Yet, the character is still present at said raid in the show.

So... Yeah. Don't try to compare dates with Vikings in mind, you'll get a headache. :p

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
^ True. Vikings takes liberties with timelines.

Vikings S4 ends with the Great Heathen Invasion, after which the story mostly focuses on Bjorn's travels, Kattegat and Russia.

TLK starts after the invasion, with much of modern England already under Danelaw, where the entire show is set.

That's why I consider the two shows complementary to each other.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
The season is live now, and critics seem to like it so far, has a 100% on Rottentomatoes currently, (but only 13 reviews yet, and RT is not the best indicator for TV shows in general).
Looking forward to it much more now though, hope to start it some time next week.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let me know if there is any gay in this, Vikings had a very very little, not enough.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I really enjoyed Viking up to the point ragnar died, everything went downhill fast after that, dumb characters, bad acting and writing. I'm still mad what they did with floki.

It should have stopped there, I did keep watching until season 7 I believe, I should finish it at least and give it a try
Downfall really started after Ragnar successfully took Paris. Things got noticeably worse once he arrived back home.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed the first part with Ragnar (until he died at least..) will defo give this a go.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
www.theguardian.com

Vikings: Valhalla review – gore, sex, plot, hair!

Picking up where the epic series Vikings left off, there’s still plenty of Vikinging to do, and if you can pick out the characters from all the beards and hides it’s a lot of fun

Three episodes in. Review is accurate. These sorts of shows are weirdly comfort food for me between its predecessor and The Last Kingdom so it's doing exactly what I need it to do.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Just finished watching the season.

I can say it was not bad at all. I'll watch the 2nd season if that happens.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
I've been watching it kinda second screen but enjoying it
It's been distracting enough that I feel like I should restart ~ ha
on ep 5 but think I missed some shit

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Ive never watched Vikings and couldnt get in to Last Kingdom. This is not bad is all I can say.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What? It has a lot of gay.
As great as those relationships were, they also pretty queerbaity. And for me personally hopefully some women with those levels of relationships with other women at the very least this time, Lagatha's brief stint was terrible considering how all that worked out imo.

ravn0s

"This guy are sick"
Oct 29, 2017
Five episodes in and I'm enjoying it a lot more than the last couple of seasons of Vikings.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
Loved Vikings until Ragnar died. After that it seemed like the actors who played his sons tried to emulate him and his speech patterns/beats and head movements (Ubba was the worse with that)

Ivar scaling a Cliffside, then being magik'd to the battlefield in time to stab his brother 🙄

Torvi should have died and stayed dead, that was some dad ex Kachina there.

That being written, I like this new show. Can't wait to see what shakes out.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree, I cannot even remember if I finished watching the series, show was pretty bad once Ragnar was not involved. I hated every story arc involving Ivar the Boneless.

Definitely will give this new series a chance

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Aren't the Normans the descendants of Rollo and those Vikings who stayed in Paris with him? So knowing that, maybe this series will end with the Norman conquest?

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Aren't the Normans the descendants of Rollo and those Vikings who stayed in Paris with him? So knowing that, maybe this series will end with the Norman conquest?

That's a highly likely possibility given the historical Harald Hardrada's fate. That is, of course, if the show last long enough to reach the Norman Invasion. It's on Netflix after all.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Holy crap what an exhilarating show. The battle on the bridge is so good.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
They actually call themselves Vikings?

Last Kingdom is a great show and even better book series.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Enjoyed the first two episodes. It's a bit heavy-handed with the whole 'Viking identity', but I suppose you need that to sell your show.

I like the cast: the actors for Canute, Harald Leif and Freydis are great.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Show was alright. Not as bad as the last seasons of vikings, but not as great as the first seasons either.

They are and queen Emma who comes from Normandy mentions she's a descendant of Rollo.

OP
OP
RatskyWatsky

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was really damn solid. Better than most seasons of Vikings (it's been ages since I've seen the early seasons so I don't remember them well enough to compare) and actually felt to me more like The Last Kingdom than Vikings (in a good way).

One of the things that I appreciated about it was that it was actually quite focused - one of the biggest problems with Vikings' later seasons was that pretty much every character had their own storyline, which spread everything too thin so almost none of the storylines had the impact intended. Here, we've got just 3 - Leif and the rest of the Vikings on their war with England, English royal drama, and Freydis' journey. I feel like we probably could have done without Freydis storyline - she could have just joined Leif and the rest - but it wasn't bad at all.

But yeah, I like the cast quite a bit and I'm exited for future seasons!

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
Season 2 is out, and again, whenever a show has split storylines there is usually one I don't like. And it's Freydis. Or all four? episode 2 is peak "vikings content"