• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Best example I can think of right now is Meruem from HxH , but I liked that Togashi didn't go the predictable final battle route... his death was really well done as far as BS goes. (Sorry if my topics annoy anyone, I'm just bored at home in some pain and wanted to see peoples opinions over stuff).

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much all Horror and well... Most fiction in general. Spend the entire book/series building up how unstoppable they are but of course 99% of the time they end up dying in the most ridiculous ways because the good guys have to win.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Sylar and Peter in Heroes both had to lose all their powers because they were overpowered as hell.

Last edited:

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think Meruem's defeat was BS at all.

I've always felt Azula from Avatar: The Last Airbender was an example. She was always an extremely powerful and skilled firebender, with a ruthless and cunning mind. There's no way anybody beats her one on one at her peak, so she suddenly goes literally insane in the last three episodes of the show.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
There was built up to it in the story, but the ending of the Ruby and Saphire saga in Pokemon Adventures was pure bullshit. It absolutely made a good twenty chapters worthless, as fucking...

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018

I've always felt Azula from Avatar: The Last Airbender was an example. She was always an extremely powerful and skilled firebender, with a ruthless and cunning mind. There's no way anybody beats her one on one at her peak, so she suddenly goes literally insane in the last three episodes of the show.
I mean, Netero having a random nuke in his body that activates when he dies, out of nowhere is kinda BS, was there ever any foreshadowing on that?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Netero having a random nuke in his body that activates when he dies, out of nowhere is kinda BS, was there ever any foreshadowing on that?
i kind of feel like there was a little bit, but I've been watching 1 episode a week on toonami and the arc is so long that I might just be remembering incorrectly.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
i kind of feel like there was a little bit, but I've been watching 1 episode a week on toonami and the arc is so long that I might just be remembering incorrectly.
My memory sucks , but I don't recall there ever being any clue about his nuke.... I mean ,I like how that ended, but it was still some random BS.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Zatch Bell, is also another example of this, which is weird because beforehand the power levels were somewhat balance. Than these guys came in, and it makes you wonder why you never heard of them before.
latest

The funny part is that the author actually came up with a good understandable and hard counter to him with Kanchome, but nope, he ended the story with the power of friendship spirit dragon attack.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I kinda felt this way for Eneru in One Piece. He has like one of the most overpowered powers, destroys everybody in like one hit (completely owns Sanji, Robin, Zoro, the warrior guy, the giant snake, etc), is made of electricity so he can't be hit physically, etc. He's so damn OP, he's destroying the island with ease. He can literally kill you instantly from anywhere on the island with a giant lightning strike. He fuses Luffy to a giant gold ball that chains him down but Luffy can still kick his ass because "rubber doesn't conduct electricity lol".

This was all before the time skip Haki nonsense, too.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

That wasn't sudden, she was unhinged the entire show. It just got worse over time, the more and more things got out her control the worse she got as a person, at least mentally.

That was her character, she was controlling and manipulative, but she couldn't handle not having her way or winning and zuko learning how to be humble won over. Cooler heads and all that

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yhwach from Bleach had the following abilities:
  • Omni-Precognition: Yhwach can see everything that is to occur from the present moment into the far-flung future. He can "know" everything that lies within that gaze.[141] Rather than seeing a linear future, Yhwach observes all possible futures at once like countless grains of sand in the wind, and can thus act accordingly using the knowledge he has gained to anticipate and counter his opponents.[142] However, Yhwach is unable to predict the actions of Mimihagi, the right hand of the Soul King.[143]
  • Future Modification: Yhwach states that the true power of The Almighty is the ability to transform the future.[144]He utilizes this power by setting up traps where he knows his opponents will be[145] and attacking them before they can even begin their own attacks. He can also maneuver around any defense and countermeasure they use to protect themselves in order to facilitate his attacks.[146] He can even revive himself by changing futures where he dies.[147]
  • Power Intuition: Any power of which he "knows" will become his ally.[148]
  • Reactionary Power Immunity: That power will not only be unable to defeat him, but become unable to harm him in any way.[148]
The final enemy in the web serial "Worm" was similarly, if not more so, powerful, as well.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda felt this way for Eneru in One Piece. He has like one of the most overpowered powers, destroys everybody in like one hit (completely owns Sanji, Robin, Zoro, the warrior guy, the giant snake, etc), is made of electricity so he can't be hit physically, etc. He's so damn OP, he's destroying the island with ease. He can literally kill you instantly from anywhere on the island with a giant lightning strike. He fuses Luffy to a giant gold ball that chains him down but Luffy can still kick his ass because "rubber doesn't conduct electricity lol".

Not invented out of nowhere. It was pretty obvious what was going to happen with Eneru's lightning powers meeting Luffy's rubber powers. Eneru had the fortune of getting a really overpowered devil fruit and then the misfortune of meeting someone who's fruit was basically the best to counteract his.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda felt this way for Eneru in One Piece.

Not sure how this fits at all. Oda didn't invent the idea of rubber not conducting electricity...

Frankly, as soon as you see what Enel's DF is, you're just waiting for the inevitable to happen. The infamous "Enel face" even spells it out.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Soul Eater?

COURAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen the soul eater ending like 4 times and I still can't tell you how they managed to defeat the kishin. It was some mind break bs where he went insane because of Maka's courage or some bullshit I don't remember.

God what a joke of a ending.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly. The government was obviously in on the plan to kill the ants and they obviously had a back-up plan if Netero failed. But the thought was that they would just start air bombing the continent, not that the nuke was literally inside Netero.

HunterxHunter gets away with it because it makes sense in context and leads to an amazing ending. Plus it avoided the typical Shonen ending (namely that Adult Gon would defeat the king). The swerve away from that standard ending pretty much gave the series the ability to justify whatever else.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah even though there was foreshadowing and setup, the decision to turn her into a physically unbalanced, limb swaying lunatic was too much and I ultimately couldn't buy into it. Plus, I didn't like that they still let her keep lightning bending even though you need concentration and focus to use it.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
My memory sucks , but I don't recall there ever being any clue about his nuke.... I mean ,I like how that ended, but it was still some random BS.
One hint was that the arc took place in a fictional country analogous to North Korea.
Nuclear weaponry certainly suits that theme.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

Wow. You missed her character arc HARD

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's literally the point, Eneru is a God. But Luffy has the Will of D, gods natural enemy. It's forshadowing to the extreme.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, that was a genious thing that actually makes sense with the in-universe explanation. Logias are made of that element so they are invulnerable (except to an opposite element). It gives a weakness to the most op Devil Fruit type while making sense.

Skypedia is also when Haki first starts (observation haki is basically that).

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Not invented out of nowhere. It was pretty obvious what was going to happen with Eneru's lightning powers meeting Luffy's rubber powers. Eneru had the fortune of getting a really overpowered devil fruit and then the misfortune of meeting someone who's fruit was basically the best to counteract his.
Plus Luffy's immunity to lightning was foreshadowed in both Loguetown and the beginning of Skypeia.

There's way better examples of BS in One Piece than the obvious "rubber doesn't conduct electricity".

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, because Aang went into that battle with a significant injury. Ozai was never so strong that he couldn't just be overpowered by the avatar state.

The rock thing was still stupid though.

Yea I guess he wasn't overpowered, just Aang had a perfect, cheap way to deal with him without killing him.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
17184ef6e3aeaee653a3946da2cd6a80284dc1f4_hq.gif

Easily Infinite Zamasu. This guy was not only taking over the 12 universes of Dragon Ball but his power was so OP that he was also starting to take over the present main timeline in universe 7.

It had to take literally god to come in an erase the entire future timeline where he was created. All 12 universes of the future timeline gone because of him. Trillions upon trillions of souls (Alive and dead) completely gone.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
How about M. Bison in Street Fighter: The Animated Movie? He was ridiculously overpowered and swept the floor with Ken and Ryu in the finale, until he bafflingly decided to take his power down a notch to fight them at their own level. How considerate of him!

Deleted member 42102

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
What happened with Madara Uchiha only solidified my opinion that the series should've ended with Obito/Kabuto as the big bad(s)

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Zamigo from Lupinranger vs Patranger.

Lupinranger have struggle to fight him for whole season (which he barely appear) to get their's loved ones back.
Sundenly Noel (Lupin/Pato X) Reveal That Trigger Machine That Patranger use can locked Zamigo Ability.
Which make them finally defeat him and get their's loved back.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
There was built up to it in the story, but the ending of the Ruby and Saphire saga in Pokemon Adventures was pure bullshit. It absolutely made a good twenty chapters worthless, as fucking...
Ruby should have been shown at the end of the GSC chapter at least or something because I agree. It's odd because all throughout RS they do a really good job of hinting that Ruby is super powerful without fully committing, then that happens and you're just like "why did we even bother" lmao.

That wasn't sudden, she was unhinged the entire show. It just got worse over time, the more and more things got out her control the worse she got as a person, at least mentally.

That was her character, she was controlling and manipulative, but she couldn't handle not having her way or winning and zuko learning how to be humble won over. Cooler heads and all that
This person has it right, Azula was going batshit long before she fought Zuko and Katara. From her childhood on she was unhinged. She goes full psycho in The Search as well.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Best example I can think of right now is Meruem from HxH , but I liked that Togashi didn't go the predictable final battle route... his death was really well done as far as BS goes. (Sorry if my topics annoy anyone, I'm just bored at home in some pain and wanted to see peoples opinions over stuff).
Thats a terrible example. Hell i would have excepted Gon's transformation or this. Go home you're done. Get some rest and try again tomorrow.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Sauron - LOTR
Crimson King - Dark Tower
Voldermort - Harry Potter

I bet you that the Night King in GoT will be finished off with just one clean swipe from some sword...

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
HunterxHunter gets away with it because it makes sense in context and leads to an amazing ending. Plus it avoided the typical Shonen ending (namely that Adult Gon would defeat the king). The swerve away from that standard ending pretty much gave the series the ability to justify whatever else.

Pretty much, it was BS, but the right kind of BS

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

Haki was in the series as early as ch. 1 and when Shanks first met with Whitebeard in the series we saw aspects of haki as well.
Luffy still felt pain from Enel's attacks during their battle.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yhwach from Bleach had the following abilities:
  • Omni-Precognition: Yhwach can see everything that is to occur from the present moment into the far-flung future. He can "know" everything that lies within that gaze.[141] Rather than seeing a linear future, Yhwach observes all possible futures at once like countless grains of sand in the wind, and can thus act accordingly using the knowledge he has gained to anticipate and counter his opponents.[142] However, Yhwach is unable to predict the actions of Mimihagi, the right hand of the Soul King.[143]
  • Future Modification: Yhwach states that the true power of The Almighty is the ability to transform the future.[144]He utilizes this power by setting up traps where he knows his opponents will be[145] and attacking them before they can even begin their own attacks. He can also maneuver around any defense and countermeasure they use to protect themselves in order to facilitate his attacks.[146] He can even revive himself by changing futures where he dies.[147]
  • Power Intuition: Any power of which he "knows" will become his ally.[148]
  • Reactionary Power Immunity: That power will not only be unable to defeat him, but become unable to harm him in any way.[148]
The final enemy in the web serial "Worm" was similarly, if not more so, powerful, as well.

I like how he was also the only reason this guy got defeated:

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Haki was in the series as early as ch. 1 and when Shanks first met with Whitebeard in the series we saw aspects of haki as well.
Luffy still felt pain from Enel's attacks during their battle.

Fun fact, unrelated to the thread: in the italian version of the manga, Enel is called Ener similar to the original version, because Enel is an actual company here that provides electricty lmao