• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
llhEcnd.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
The whole point of Meruem is that he really was the strongest and it's incredible that Togashi had the balls to say "this bomb that isn't anything special(he goes out of his way to say it can be mass produced) represents how fucked up humanity is and it's stronger than even the strongest character of the whole canon so far". That is why Netero told Meruem to not underestimate humanity.

Humans are the real monsters, that's what the Chimera Ant arc was saying, Gon becomes more of a monster as the arc goes while Meruem appreciates life and becomes more "human", but then again.... what does it mean to be a human?

It's beautiful and the best arc of anything of all time.

Last edited:

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Daenarys in Game of Thrones should've easily taken power the second she came into Westeros. She had a bigger army than anyone, a bigger fleet than anyone and three dragons that are able to burn entire armies to cinders in seconds.

However, as soon as she landed the writers decided that from now on she and her advisors would do the stupidest possible things (like not attacking the capital outright and instead splitting up the army and fleet to attack a insignificant castle on the other side of the continent), which resulted in her fleet getting wiped, her army being almost completely destroyed and one dead dragon.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've always felt Azula from Avatar: The Last Airbender was an example. She was always an extremely powerful and skilled firebender, with a ruthless and cunning mind. There's no way anybody beats her one on one at her peak, so she suddenly goes literally insane in the last three episodes of the show.

Nope.
They had been foreshadowing her losing her shit for a while.
Hell her closest friends were scared of her and abandoned her.....so we knew something was going on.

And even in the Agni Kai she was losing her shit and ended up getting doubled teamed NO?

Strength she had, mental stability we knew she didnt have and that aided her defeat.
Yhwach from Bleach had the following abilities:.
Juhabach from Bleach

Yes.
This is the worst ive seen in recent memory...hell maybe the worst ever.
He was literally unstoppable prior to "ohh silver arrows slow him down for 1 moment"
Future sight is already a pretty OP power.....but he took it to the next level and could affect the futures he saw.
The dude was placing traps in the future after he had seen where characters were going to land. WTF!

He could see and alter the future - Literally could break your sword two seconds from now so when you try to swing it....its broken.
Since he can alter the future he can have himself not be dead in the future so if you kill him, in the future he will not be dead(?) yes its as dumb as it sounds.
Beyond abilities his physical strength is easily multiple times higher than any other character in the series.
He can give and reabsorb powers....like nigh literally any power you can think of he probably gave it to someone, then absorbs it back later.(Think every mutant sans telepaths....in one character)
After absorbing the Viking looking nigga any damage to him only served to enhance his strength.
He had the Balance - Any fortune or misfortune he can redirect.....got a lucky shot in? He'll balance it out so you are the one who got hit instead.

What Kubo was thinking when he wrote this character is beyond me.
By the final battle there was no way to beat this guy....he was OP to the point fighting him seemed pointless so random thing shows up that can actually stop all his powers for one second.

Bach+1.PNG

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from the usual suspects, I like Kimimaro in Naruto who loses because he dies from natural causes.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Sauron - LOTR
Crimson King - Dark Tower
Voldermort - Harry Potter

I bet you that the Night King in GoT will be finished off with just one clean swipe from some sword...
Not sure how Sauron counts. The entire thing about him is that he can only be defeated when the Ring is destroyed, that's what the entire trilogy is about. This thread is more talking about creators inventing asspulls to get rid of an intensely powerful villain.

I would say Voldemort counts though, since the whole Horcrux thing kinda comes out of nowhere.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
The Daleks, every time.

They literally have multiverse scale bombs, time-travel mastery, a lone unit can wipe out the Earth and four can blow up the sun. They have viruses that turn all life into biomechanical dalek slave puppets. They can teleport planets across the universe in seconds, and even their corpses can spread under a planet with their undying cells. They are the greatest minds in the multiverse, all working in unison on how to kill everyone everywhere.

Always defeated before the credits by a man with no weapons, defences, or plan.

The writers have had to destroy their empire loads of times now as they are too powerful to exist in the series narrative, but they have to keep bringing them back because they are The Daleks and Doctor Who is unimaginable without them.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A big one for me was Shin Angyo Onshi. Don't get me wrong, I love the way Aji Tae goes out because it was the perfect way for a guy like him to die, but it was still total bullshit.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Does "oh my rubber Nen" count?
Sure, it was foreshadowed and it kinda makes sense in-universe but it's still bullshit
And Chrollo with prep-time is even more OP

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The nuke in HxH wasn't an asspull. There were even some people predicting that back then. It wasn't as obvious, but rereading the arc hammers down why it got used at all.

Rubber Nen was bullshit though.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how this fits at all. Oda didn't invent the idea of rubber not conducting electricity...

Frankly, as soon as you see what Enel's DF is, you're just waiting for the inevitable to happen. The infamous "Enel face" even spells it out.

It's been a while since I complained about OP, to thank you for the opportunity.

Now....So when it comes to electrical currents traveling through things, we have conductors and insulators. One example of a conductor is our feeble human bodies, being made up of mostly water. If a current of electricity strikes us, it will mostly pass through water of our bodies relatively simply. What will not be simple is what happens to our more insulating internal organs, who will get all get far more of the charge and, if it's enough voltage, kill us. An insulator, such as rubber, does not allow electricity to travel through it easily. This basic, surface level understanding means might make you intuit that Luffy, a Rubber Man, would be super effective against electricty, right?

In reality, Enel would fuck. Luffy. up. He'd fuck him up harder than he would anyone else with less effort. In the magic world of OP, if when lightning hits an insulator, it just...disappears. The lightning hits him, then it's gone. In reality, if you have electricity hit an insulator, all that means is that the voltage has nowhere to go. So Luffy would be eating ALL that voltage thrown at him. Lightning, as you know, is really, really hot, so just imagine melting, burning rubber, except it's also a human body, and that's what should happen to Luffy. The good news is that unlike a regular human, the electrical current wouldn't fry his internal organs, atleast not until Enel melted enough of his skin to hit them directly.

Ironically, you know who would best counter Enel? That Gran fall motherfucker. He was wearing a suit of armor and, guess what, metal conducts electricity! The guy is walking around in a faraday body cage. The current would travel through his armor and down into the ground, bypassing his internal organs. Well, the sheer amount of voltage Enel is throwing around should melt almost anything regardless, but it would be more accurate than Luffy just making the lightning go away.

I'm not hugely informed on electrical science, so I might be wrong here somewhere, but I remember looking this stuff up at some point and I looked it up again to paraphrase from here.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One Piece science, eh?

Your explanation about the reality ain't nothing new to me lol, the series has never pretended to be about hard realism

You see a rubber man getting ready to go up against a man made out of electricity in the OP's cartoony universe, the outcome is hilariously obvious, with it even having literally happened before back in Loguetown.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
How is Meruem's defeat BS when it fits thematically with the arc's ideas of what humanity really is like? You people need to pay more attention to your subtext ffs

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Your explanation about the reality ain't nothing new to me lol, the series has never pretended to be about hard realism

You see a rubber man getting ready to go up against a man made out of electricity in the OP's cartoony universe, the outcome is hilariously obvious, with it even having literally happened before back in Loguetown.
Yeah, yeah, I know. And it's not like this is the worst offender OP commits. But the topic is "What kind of villain needed BS reasons to lose" arguably OP inverting how lightning interacts with the world counts. That said, narratively, yes, it laid the seeds for this in loguetown, so it's not BS in the same sense of it coming out of nowhere.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The Daleks, every time.

They literally have multiverse scale bombs, time-travel mastery, a lone unit can wipe out the Earth and four can blow up the sun. They have viruses that turn all life into biomechanical dalek slave puppets. They can teleport planets across the universe in seconds, and even their corpses can spread under a planet with their undying cells. They are the greatest minds in the multiverse, all working in unison on how to kill everyone everywhere.

Always defeated before the credits by a man with no weapons, defences, or plan.

The writers have had to destroy their empire loads of times now as they are too powerful to exist in the series narrative, but they have to keep bringing them back because they are The Daleks and Doctor Who is unimaginable without them.
The classic series was guilty of doing this with a lot of villains.
Daleks especially. Stories will set up how mean and invincible enemies are and then the Doctor will defeat them by reversing the polarity or whatever.

Star Trek does it a lot too.

Please note I love both Doctor Who and Star Trek.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
They're not mutually exclusive.
An asspull is when a writer solves a plot point randomly, without any thought or foresight on how to. Humans being the real monsters is the entire message of the Chimera arc.

This reminds me of when people say the octopus ending in Watchmen is too ridiculous. It's missing the forest for the trees.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
The nuke in HxH wasn't an asspull. There were even some people predicting that back then. It wasn't as obvious, but rereading the arc hammers down why it got used at all.

Rubber Nen was bullshit though.

What's bullshit about rubber nen? The concept itself or one of its applications? I have only seen the anime but I don't remember feeling anything was off about it.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Meruem's death was perfect, because it showed that he was outclassed by the collective strength (and malice) of humanity as a whole which the ants couldn't achieve.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
An asspull is when a writer solves a plot point randomly, without any thought or foresight on how to. Humans being the real monsters is the entire message of the Chimera arc.

Can't speak for others, but BS =/= asspull for me

You can see the clear message the nuke represents, etc. etc. and also feel some type of way regarding how Meurem was dealt with lol. Seems to be how the OP feels anyhow.

What's bullshit about rubber nen? The concept itself or one of its applications? I have only seen the anime but I don't remember feeling anything was off about it.

It's a manga thing.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Yhwach from Bleach had the following abilities:
  • Omni-Precognition: Yhwach can see everything that is to occur from the present moment into the far-flung future. He can "know" everything that lies within that gaze.[141] Rather than seeing a linear future, Yhwach observes all possible futures at once like countless grains of sand in the wind, and can thus act accordingly using the knowledge he has gained to anticipate and counter his opponents.[142] However, Yhwach is unable to predict the actions of Mimihagi, the right hand of the Soul King.[143]
  • Future Modification: Yhwach states that the true power of The Almighty is the ability to transform the future.[144]He utilizes this power by setting up traps where he knows his opponents will be[145] and attacking them before they can even begin their own attacks. He can also maneuver around any defense and countermeasure they use to protect themselves in order to facilitate his attacks.[146] He can even revive himself by changing futures where he dies.[147]
  • Power Intuition: Any power of which he "knows" will become his ally.[148]
  • Reactionary Power Immunity: That power will not only be unable to defeat him, but become unable to harm him in any way.[148]
The final enemy in the web serial "Worm" was similarly, if not more so, powerful, as well.

So exactly how does this guy go down? I gave up on bleach after Aizen

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
So exactly how does this guy go down? I gave up on bleach after Aizen

A mix of being shot by a special arrow, some illusion BS from Aizen and Ichigo getsuga tenshouing him. Although tbh it was confusing and rushed beyond belief so even though I read it I'm not even sure how it worked.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
As mentioned earlier, I vote for Zamasu too. I had completely forgot how stupid that was, they couldn't just let him die the first time could they? Also, I agree with rubber nen in HxH.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
  • Omni-Precognition: Yhwach can see everything that is to occur from the present moment into the far-flung future. He can "know" everything that lies within that gaze.[141] Rather than seeing a linear future, Yhwach observes all possible futures at once like countless grains of sand in the wind, and can thus act accordingly using the knowledge he has gained to anticipate and counter his opponents.[142] However, Yhwach is unable to predict the actions of Mimihagi, the right hand of the Soul King.[143]
  • Future Modification: Yhwach states that the true power of The Almighty is the ability to transform the future.[144]He utilizes this power by setting up traps where he knows his opponents will be[145] and attacking them before they can even begin their own attacks. He can also maneuver around any defense and countermeasure they use to protect themselves in order to facilitate his attacks.[146] He can even revive himself by changing futures where he dies.[147]
  • Reactionary Power Immunity: That power will not only be unable to defeat him, but become unable to harm him in any way.[148]
The final enemy in the web serial "Worm" was similarly, if not more so, powerful, as well.

And still got defeated in 2 chapters.
The disgust of it all.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember the specifics now, but I remember the big bad of the first Yu-Gi-Oh movie was defeated by the Pharaoh coming in last minute and saving the seemingly unwinnable situation by "getting lucky" and drawing the most ridiculous set of convenient cards to basically one shot him.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Sauron - LOTR
Crimson King - Dark Tower
Voldermort - Harry Potter

I bet you that the Night King in GoT will be finished off with just one clean swipe from some sword...
I would disagree with Sauron. He was greatly weakened in the Third Age, and even then, he was of the same order as the Five Wizards and the Balrog, so not orders above similar beings inhabiting Middle-earth. The reason for his defeat was tied in to the fact that much of his inherent might was poured into the One Ring. Destruction of the One, meant the loss of much of what he was, and there wasn't much left after that.

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
The final boss of Bayonetta 2 could qualify. You fight him several time and aren't really getting anywhere until a side character Deus ex machina all his power away and you subsequently completely curb stomp him. Extremely unsatisfying ending btw, not sure what they were thinking.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I don't remember the specifics now, but I remember the big bad of the first Yu-Gi-Oh movie was defeated by the Pharaoh coming in last minute and saving the seemingly unwinnable situation by "getting lucky" and drawing the most ridiculous set of convenient cards to basically one shot him.
All of classic Yugioh fits into this description.

Classic Yugioh is literally just "cheat til you win."

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these examples I don't even agree with being bullshit they're either foreshadowed, makes sense or at least executed well though I agree with this

I agree with alot

Yhwach is straight up unbeatable he only lost because they pulled something out of their ass and Kubo needed the story to end because he was too tired by what he claims