• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Please refrain from posting anything that hasn't happened yet in the anime, this includes both manga spoilers AND history spoilers.

FUuoL28aIAEAHeY

Welcome to the Vinland Saga |OT| ! This thread will be dedicated to the anime by Wit Studio (for Season 1) and MAPPA (for Season 2), adapting Makoto Yukimura's historical seinen.
h9G40PK.png

"As the first millenium ends, the mighty but atrocious Vikings are pillaging all of Europe and beyond.

In a Icelandic village lives Thorfinn, the son of Thors, a man most of the Norse recognise as one of the greatest warrior.

But unlike the rest of them, the "Troll of Jom", does not lust for war. Instead, he chooses to live peacefully.

As a consequence, Thorfinn does not understand why his father is such an admired fighter.

Searching for the path to becoming a True Warrior, Thorfinn's Saga begins."

mOjWP08.jpg

UoOWadI.png

----------

Where do I watch this ?

It will be broadcast on Tokyo MX in Japan. Prime Video had the exclusivity of its Western release at first. Since July 7th 2022, Season 1 is available on :

Crunchyroll (in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Alto Adige France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Monaco and Andorra)
HiDive (in North and South America, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Scandinavia, South Africa, Netherlands, Spain and Portugal)
KT Olleh (in South Korea)
Netflix (worldwide except China)

Season 2 will be available on Netflix (everywhere but China) and Crunchyroll (outside of Asia)
----------

So, when does this air ?

New Season 2 episodes drop on Tuesdays at 1:30 am JST

----------

What do you mean by "history spoilers" ?

Vinland Saga is a historical manga. Meaning that while it has its fair share of fiction, most of the story consists in the author's take on real life events. That means that even if you read the manga, you can still get spoiled. So be careful, "Thorfinn Karlsefni" has a wikipedia page, but it's full of spoilers !

----------

So, any trailers ?

At your Service.

PV 1 is not available anymore

PV 2
PV #3, featuring the OP theme: "Mukanjyo" by Survive said the Prophet
PV #4, featuring the ED theme : "Torches" by Aimer

----------

Anything else ?

You can find additional info, such as the cast and the staff, on the official website, don't worry about understanding the Japanese, the most important stuff is translated into English.​

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
The first episode is currently premiering at Japan Expo in Paris, so I figured now would be a good time to post the OT, since iirc some Era members are there.
That said, if you were able to see the premiere, please put your impressions in a spoiler until the episode is available worldwide.
For all of us not in Paris right now, the first episode should be available five hours from now on Amazon Prime Video.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
My gf absolutely adores the manga and we just finished Dororo yesterday, so it seems like fantastic timing for it to start! Besides, from what I've seen, the animation looks top notch. Hype!

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I guarantee you we really, really need a "NO MANGA SPOILERS" in the title, looking at the AoT thread on this forum.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Read the manga a month ago, loved it. Can't wait to see how this adaption goes.

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I guarantee you we really, really need a "NO MANGA SPOILERS" in the title, looking at the AoT thread on this forum.
I believe it should be fine, since the VS fanbase is much smaller than the AoT one, but just in case, I made my warning bigger and put it before the key visual. We'll see how the thread goes after those first three episodes and if needed, I'll ask a mod to change the title.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
history spoilers LMAO

hyped for this. read it a long time ago. I love
askeladd
. what a g

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
History spoilers aren't a thing.
They very much are. I could tell you everything that will happen in the Kingdom manga until its end, who lives and who dies, who wins which battle, etc. And while there are less sources for Vinland Saga, most of it can still be spoiled.
And I don't want someone to come and spoil everything just because "It's not a manga spoiler, it hasn't happened there either" or something
Even if it doesn't turn out like history did, it's still a work of fiction after all, it's better to be careful

They very much are. I could tell you everything that will happen in the Kingdom manga until its end, who lives and who dies, who wins which battle, etc. And while there are less sources for Vinland Saga, most of it can still be spoiled.
And I don't want someone to come and spoil everything just because "It's not a manga spoiler, it hasn't happened there either" or something
Even if it doesn't turn out like history did, it's still a work of fiction after all, it's better to be careful
You can't spoil literatue that's hundred of years old just because some manga is based on it

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The manga is one of my favourites. I can't wait.

Is this considered an amazon prime "original"? I wonder if it'll be available in my region because I'm assuming it won't be on crunchyroll.

EDIT: The tweet mentions Iceland and Denmark (nice) so I assume it'll be available everywhere.

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
You can't spoil literatue that's hundred of years old just because some manga is based on it
Let's not act like the sources are widely known. This isn't a manga based on the Roman Empire or something. On average, a random person probably doesn't know more about Vikings than :
-They lived in Northern Europe/Iceland/Greenland
-They raided most of Europe, and sometimes beyond
-They were the first europeans to reach the Americas

I don't think 1/10000th of the people who read VS even know the name of the books it's based on. I'm just asking people to not tell anything that hasn't happened yet in the anime, whether it's from the manga or from a thousand year old book. Is it that hard to not be a d*ck ?

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
So, Amazon tells me the manga is included in my Prime membership. Of course I want to read that, too. I add it to my library via laptop. Ok. I can't install the Kindle app on my Ipad, however, it says not compatible. Ok. According to the site it's also available via Comixology, which I have on there. Now, with my Amazon log-in on Comixology I see the comics I bought there, but when I go to Vinland Saga it tells me I need Comixology Unlimited. Huh. And the account merging stuff doesn't work, since I never had an account but the Amazon one.

Halp?

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
This is the moment I had it for real with spolier culture. I can't even. Christ all fucking mighty.
Please tell us more about how there are no such things as "history spoilers".
But if your argument is "Well, this is history we are talking about, you can't spoil it, it has already happened" then you would be wrong. See my post earlier:
Let's not act like the sources are widely known. This isn't a manga based on the Roman Empire or something. On average, a random person probably doesn't know more about Vikings than :
-They lived in Northern Europe/Iceland/Greenland
-They raided most of Europe, and sometimes beyond
-They were the first europeans to reach the Americas

I don't think 1/10000th of the people who read VS even know the name of the books it's based on. I'm just asking people to not tell anything that hasn't happened yet in the anime, whether it's from the manga or from a thousand year old book. Is it that hard to not be a d*ck ?
Someone who knows about those sources could spoil to an anime-only which character dies, who wins which battles, etc. This is no different to regular manga spoilers.

Don't "Christ all fucking mighty" me, the second sentence of Thorfinn's wikipedia page spoils the end of the manga, we are talking about major stuff that is not common knowledge

Last edited:

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
big fan of the 1st arc
2nd arc is gonna be very divisive but i doubt this season will reach that part

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
The only anime I'm watching that is worth my time this season imo.
CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Never thought I'd seen the day where Vinland Saga would get an anime adaptation. Here's to hoping it doesn't get the Berserk anime treatment

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
The official twitter account aknowledged the issue

We still have to wait, but it's nice to have an update

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Divisive in a bad way?
It's very different. Almost like an entirely different series. Some prefer it (my case), some don't. From my understanding, people who read it when it came out (monthly) tend to dislike it more because it has a slower pace, but if the anime covers it entirely in its second season, that shouldn't be an issue

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone dies and then the West Slavs burn down Haithabu.
That's dodging the question. The reality is that the death of a character has a certain impact, and it loses some of that impact if you know when it's gonna happen, who it's gonna happen to etc. Yes, it's part of history, but let's not pretend most of Era knows anything about Viking history. "History spoilers" sounds ridiculous, but the reality is that it sucks to hear "Oh, X person dies at the end of this arc".

That's dodging the question. The reality is that the death of a character has a certain impact, and it loses some of that impact if you know when it's gonna happen, who it's gonna happen to etc. Yes, it's part of history, but let's not pretend most of Era knows anything about Viking history. "History spoilers" sounds ridiculous, but the reality is that it sucks to hear "Oh, X person dies at the end of this arc".
I have no idea how faithful it is to the actual Vinland Sagas, so I can't comment on this. I was mainly making fun of the concept of history spoilers.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's very different. Almost like an entirely different series. Some prefer it (my case), some don't. From my understanding, people who read it when it came out (monthly) tend to dislike it more because it has a slower pace, but if the anime covers it entirely in its second season, that shouldn't be an issue

Yeah I could see that. I read it with the official english release and even then it took quite a while to get going. It's definitely different but still quite good and as you said the pacing shouldn't be an issue with the anime as it's not monthly.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I loved the second arc more than the first one tbh. The slower pace and the reflection on characters it was just so fitting after what happened before . It was really well told in the manga . Im sure the show gonna be way faster paced

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Please tell us more about how there are no such things as "history spoilers".
But if your argument is "Well, this is history we are talking about, you can't spoil it, it has already happened" then you would be wrong. See my post earlier:

There is no such thing as reliable sources that long back, but treating history as if it was fiction is absurd, and talking about spoilers in the same sentence as history makes my head spin.

Do you have an issue with me spoiling world war 2, the founding of the Iroquois Confederacy or the cuban missile crisis too? I respect that people in this thread don't want "history spoilers" in here, and I won't post any. I still find the premise absolutely absurd.