• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Never read the manga since I'm not much of a manga guy but this looks amazing. I've been waiting for it since the first trailer. Can't wait until they drop the first episode(s) on amazon. Still waiting.

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
There is no such thing as reliable sources that long back
Indeed, but it's not about reliable sources, we are not talking about what truly happened in history, we are talking about the source for the manga. Since they are not reliable, the author might still deviate from it, as a manga is still a work of fiction, but It's better to be careful, he might follow the sources closely.
Do you have an issue with me spoiling world war 2, the cuban missile crisis too?
No, but you can't compare WW2 and the Cold War to the story that is told there. As I said, what is written in the Vinland Sagas (the main sources for the manga) is not common knowledge.
Therefore,
Do you have an issue with me spoiling the founding of the Iroquois Confederacy too?
If a work of fiction were to be written on this subject, I would be deeply annoyed if you were to spoil me its end because you knew it from your historical knowledge. Because I had never heard about it before today
but treating history as if it was fiction is absurd, and talking about spoilers in the same sentence as history makes my head spin.
We are not talking about spoiling history, we are talking about spoiling a work of fiction. I call it history spoiler for the sole reason that it is technically not a manga spoiler. Instead of using your manga knowledge to spoil, you use your historical knowledge. If you were to tell someone how VS will end, you would not be spoiling history, you would be spoiling VS. It's not complicated.

Aren't the first three episodes premiering this weekend? When will the other two go up on Amazon—tomorrow?
The first episode was supposed to premiere worldwide more than 5 hours ago, but Amazon Prime is late. The next two's announced release date is tomorrow, July 7th, 3:40PM UTC and 4:10PM UTC.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
This looks like a worthy replacement for Attack on Titan.

It's clear that Wit gave this more resources, looks amazing.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I dont get it. I typed in "Vinland Saga" under the Prime Video category and only the mangas show up as results (at least V1 is free btw).

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Aren't the first three episodes premiering this weekend? When will the other two go up on Amazon—tomorrow?

As you should. If this is a worthy adaptation, it'll be one of the best anime of the year.
I just hope they will give time for characters and more breathing room to scenes.

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I dont get it. I typed in "Vinland Saga" under the Prime Video category and only the mangas show up as results (at least V1 is free btw).
That's because it's not available yet. Prime is late. We don't know when it will be available, we just have to wait

Edit: They twitted this earlier

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
If you were to tell someone how VS will end, you would not be spoiling history, you would be spoiling VS. It's not complicated.

Of course I wouldn't spoil anything from the very loose fictional interpretation that is Vinland Saga. I wasn't even going to actually talk about the history that is referenced in it. But if you're british or scandinavian (I'm the latter) you'd likely have encountered
king Cnut the great
in your actual history lessons in school. I accept the premise of history spoilers, but nothing you write will make me not smirk at the prospect.

Either way, I'm looking forward to watching the show. I hope it lives up to the original!

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Of course I wouldn't spoil anything from the very loose fictional interpretation that is Vinland Saga. I wasn't even going to actually talk about the history that is referenced in it. But if you're british or scandinavian (I'm the latter) you'd likely have encountered
king Cnut the great
in your actual history lessons in school. I accept the premise of history spoilers, but nothing you write will make me not smirk at the prospect.

Either way, I'm looking forward to watching the show. I hope it lives up to the original!
Yeah, I agree about that one. That's what I meant, we have to gauge whether or not something is common knowledge. In that specific case, I would argue that it's not necessary to tag it, though I guess it's still better to do so, just in case (not every one has studied British history). On the contrary, what's written on that Thorfinn wiki page is definitely a spoiler, because the number of Era members who might know of it is too small.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
On the contrary, what's written on that Thorfinn wiki page is definitely a spoiler, because the number of Era members who might know of it is too small.

Honestly, the character in the manga doesn't have much in common at all with the historical figure, so I doubt there will be that much overlap between the two. Except that we will likely eventually
reach Vinland. But that is kind of in the title of the story either way.
But I hear you.

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Honestly, the character in the manga doesn't have much in common at all with the historical figure, so I doubt there will be that much overlap between the two. Except that we will likely eventually
reach Vinland. But that is kind of in the title of the story either way.
But I hear you.
Yeah I know, it's much more fictional than, say, Kingdom (Hara sometimes quotes the Shiji (his historical source) !). But we never know, the author might follow the historical figure sometimes

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thought of history being a spoiler makes my head hurt. I get where you're coming from, and it'd be an asshole move to spoil the show under the guise of it being historical, but just seeing those words together give me a headache.

Anyways, this looks great. I'll definitely check it out.

Where's my Vagabond anime

Where's my Vagabond

INOUEEEEEEEEEE

Honestly never want to see an anime for it. The art is so good, I doubt that it'd get the talent and budget needed to live up to the manga. Not saying I don't want it to ever happen, as it'd be nice for the manga to get some more fans, but I personally don't really need it.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I agree about that one. That's what I meant, we have to gauge whether or not something is common knowledge. In that specific case, I would argue that it's not necessary to tag it, though I guess it's still better to do so, just in case (not every one has studied British history). On the contrary, what's written on that Thorfinn wiki page is definitely a spoiler, because the number of Era members who might know of it is too small.
I just want to quickly back you up on this. Just because grognards know their norse history doesn't mean I want to read "Oh Boy can't wait to see how Grokiban gets blood eagled in today's episode!" (which is a totally made up example if it wasn't obvious).

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When does this come out on amazon prime? The date & time in the OP should've passed, but I can't seem to find it.

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Well, there it is.

The first three episodes will be available back-to-back on Prime starting July 8th, 1:10 AM (JST)// July 7th, 4:10 PM (UTC)/12:10 PM (EDT)/9:10 (PDT).

Last edited:

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
Well, there it is.

The first three episodes will be available back-to-back on Prime starting July 8th, 1:10 AM (JST)// July 7th, 4:10 PM (UTC)/12:10 AM (EDT)/9:10 (PDT).

No wonder it hasn't popped up yet. Just twisting the knife a little more for people who've been waiting years for this, haha.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Well, there it is.

The first three episodes will be available back-to-back on Prime starting July 8th, 1:10 AM (JST)// July 7th, 4:10 PM (UTC)/12:10 AM (EDT)/9:10 (PDT).

Why in the world is this even exclusive to Amazon Prime? Im subscribed to Prime but even I'm wondering why an anime studio would ignore other popular outlets. Money?

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, there it is.

Can we blame this on incompetence or what?

Also, what does "other areas" mean? What are the "English and German" areas? My Prime is in English but it ain't the UK/US version.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Why in the world is this even exclusive to Amazon Prime? Im subscribed to Prime but even I'm wondering why an anime studio would ignore other popular outlets. Money?
And won't this also lessen the exposure of the show to the public? Chances of future seasons seem grim...?

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Can we blame this on incompetence or what?

Also, what does "other areas" mean? What are the "English and German" areas? My Prime is in English but it ain't the UK/US version.
It's not detailed, but this probably means any English/German-speaking country. So not only the US, UK and Germany, but also Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India. I'm rather hopeful that it's gping to be available to more countries than just those speaking primarly English, mostly because they said Denmark and Iceland were going to have the episodes too.

12pm, right? So like 9 hours?
Yes ! My mistake, sorry for the confusion. Thanks for pointing it out

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Damn man, Wit is, dare I say it, crunching it hard.
AOT just ended last week o_O, unless this is another team?
anyways, I hope they get a break after this one.

OP
OP
Rouk'

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Damn man, Wit is, dare I say it, crunching it hard.
AOT just ended last week o_O, unless this is another team?
anyways, I hope they get a break after this one.
Apparently, we shouldn't worry too much.

I'm guessing a large part of their time/team was allocated to VS, since on the other hand, AoT did not have a good schedule

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Interesting first episode, great action sequences at the beginning and some good world building after. I hope they actually end up reaching Vinland at some point (I haven't read the manga), I love these kinds of interactions between completely unrelated cultures. Even if the story doesn't end up going there, it should still be pretty interesting so I'll keep on watching.

That dying dude was almost inaudible though.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
What a start to the series. The animation quality is flawless. Really intrested where it goes

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard good things, and I really love Kingdom and a lot of people that like it recommend this. I usually do manga-only for stuff, but maybe I'll watch this.

Deleted member 6026

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they could make Vagabond and a god damn competent version of freaking Berserk all would be right in the world

I imagine there's a lot of interest in both of those properties behind the scenes; there's been a huge resurgence in seinen anime adaptations recently. With Dorohedoro, Pluto and Vinland Saga all finally getting anime adaptations—and Blade of the Immortal and Akira getting reboots—I'd say nothing's off the table.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the first three episodes. That was great. Too bad there's going to be a three week wait for more.